Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:24 pm 

Metal Archives band notes for the Plasmatics wrote:
Between 1984 and 1986 Wendy O. Williams had to release albums and singles (including most of The Plasmatics members) under her own name (or WOW) because of licensing difficulties with the name The Plasmatics.

After some years she could release the Maggots LP under the name Wendy O. Williams & Plasmatics.

Until Jan. 27 of this year, the above reasoning sufficed to include the not very metal WOW album along with the other Wendy O. Williams albums in the discography on the Plasmatics page. The band's official website states that the band stopped using the Plasmatics name to avoid legal issues with Capitol Records who had released their Coup d'État LP. This version of events is also repeated in the documentary 10 Years of Revolutionary Rock 'n' Roll (I'm willing to find the time stamp for anyone who wants to check for themselves; it's available to stream free on Prime video). Under both names, the band retained most of the same members, including manager Rod Swenson who was the mastermind and wrote the lyrics. The compilations Fuck You!!! And Loving It!!!: A Retrospective, Final Days - Anthems for the Apocalypse, and Put Your Love in Me: Love Songs for the Apocalypse include both Plasmatics & Wendy O. Williams songs with the first comp under Wendy's name and the other two under Plasmatics. Further proving that the two bands are just a rebranding of the same thing, as the second sentence in the above quote says, Maggots: The Record was released with both names on the cover, and the WOW logo used on the two previous Williams solo records is featured on the vinyl labels.

This might all be irrelevant and MA's rules might dictate that Plasmatics and Wendy O. Williams be considered two separate bands, which is fine, but then there are releases that should be moved from the Plasmatics page to a new one for Williams' solo work. The WOW album's metalness or lack thereof is moot since the two follow-up LPs under her name (Kommander of Kaos and Maggots: The Record) are metal (her last LP Deffest! and Baddest! is certainly not).

I submitted an error report on the 7th about this, but it was closed with no comment. Is it possible to at least get an explanation for what's faulty in my reasoning? Is there some justification for keeping other Wendy O. Williams solo material on the Plasmatics page, but not WOW?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:03 pm 

hmmm, I may have been hasty in deleting the album. When I did so, I was under the impression that there weren't any other releases like that in the discography, or at least that none were metal. I'll get back to you on this, busy otherwise atm.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:16 am 

Take your time. Thanks for looking into it.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:41 am 

I think it's fine to keep all the releases contained under the Plasmatics page. Feel free to re-add the album as well as your review.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:50 pm 

Thank you. I got that done and left a forum reply asking others to contribute some of the additional album info. Is there a way to "lock" the album or something, to prevent this happening again?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:28 pm 

Not exactly, but only staff can delete releases and earlier today I left a moderator note about all this on the page.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:24 pm 

Awesome. Thanks again for all your help.

Reply to topic