Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:46 pm 

Oh this is cool. Enslaved live in the morning!
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:11 pm 

Cool indeed, i loved the sound quality too!

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:25 pm 

Alien Fucker was just added to the archives. Could this be the beginning of Penis Metal 2.0?

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:58 pm 

So Im about to release a music proyect (have plenty delays due to work and travels) and I heard of Distrokid (a company which uploads your music in different onlie stores or streaming services). Have any of you guys used it? Or maybe know of other kind of service similar or better than Distrokid?

Razakel wrote:
Enslaved is playing a show that's free to watch online right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5STH5KjDBg

That was amazing!! Is there any other band that made a streamed concert like that?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:36 pm 

gomorro wrote:
So Im about to release a music proyect (have plenty delays due to work and travels) and I heard of Distrokid (a company which uploads your music in different onlie stores or streaming services). Have any of you guys used it? Or maybe know of other kind of service similar or better than Distrokid?

Uhhh, Bandcamp is the biggest online digital music provider. Use it.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:48 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Uhhh, Bandcamp is the biggest online digital music provider. Use it.

Hmm I was considering Bandcamp as a compliment, I think they have some differences, Distrokid works distributing throught social media.
Still give it a check, thanks Tony

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:13 pm 

Is there a centralized location all of these bands are using to host live shows online, or are they just doing them sporadically? I know now both Enslaved and Necrophobic have aired live shows via YouTube and it'd be cool to see more. Then again, I'm hardly online for metal stuff these days due to work and such, so I'm not the well-versed dude I used to be, sadly.

Obligatory Last FM Link

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:54 pm 

It's a great time to be a bedroom black metal band. Or a bedroom DJ.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:09 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
It's a great time to be a bedroom black metal band. Or a bedroom DJ.

I'm picturing a hospital bed room black metal band...

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:26 pm 

gomorro wrote:

So far I have used One RPM to distribute my band's music in the mains streaming platforms (Spotify, Deezer, etc.). They also have some great analytics tools and other additional tools in their website that fits well for what my band needs. Recomended, you should check it out.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:30 am 

I just (kinda) completed post-production on my 4th short film. It's of the drama/suspense genre, and revolves around two teenagers hatching a plan to break into a home one of their parents used to own, under the impression something of value was left there. It includes music from metal bands Liar's Tongue and Stereo Nasty (both used with permission by the bands). I still have some audio tweaking to do, and there is one scene with a filming error. Anyone wanna watch a 16 minute film and see if they can pick out the error, since I'm freaking out that it's extremely noticeable?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:40 pm 

Sure why not! I'll be working for the next 4-5 hours but send me a link and I'll check it out later.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:52 pm 

jimbies wrote:
I just (kinda) completed post-production on my 4th short film. It's of the drama/suspense genre, and revolves around two teenagers hatching a plan to break into a home one of their parents used to own, under the impression something of value was left there. It includes music from metal bands Liar's Tongue and Stereo Nasty (both used with permission by the bands). I still have some audio tweaking to do, and there is one scene with a filming error. Anyone wanna watch a 16 minute film and see if they can pick out the error, since I'm freaking out that it's extremely noticeable?

I'll give it a crack this afternoon.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:45 pm 

Xasthur is the Bright Eyes of black metal.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:59 am 

A question for musicians (or knowledgeable non-musicians): Is Capricornus' drumming on this Graveland track considered impressive? I'm writing about this song, and I don't how to describe it properly. The basic beat seems simple, but he does these fills and it sounds like he's changing it up constantly, which to me is pretty cool, but I'd like someone else's take on it.
Here is the song with the timestamp: LINK

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:22 am 

It's really simple, the fills are similar and the timing is not very tight. I guess it works for the song, but technically it's novice drumming

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:08 am 

Yeah, the timing is awkward at times throughout the entire album, and it almost sounds like he's struggling to keep up with the rest of the instruments. Thanks for the response!

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:26 am 

Artist who've painted covers for Avantasia, Edguy and many more bands, Jean-Pascal Fournier, have "been arrested for alledgedly killing his 80-year old father, Jean-Paul Fournier, by disemboweling him and shooting an arrow in his head, after which he tried to commit suicide."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/acclaimed ... ld-father/

https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... nier/65860

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:17 pm 

I took my EMT National Registry exam today and PASSED :-D

Jesus fuck I left that test saying to myself "there's no fucking way I passed that." I was stressing all morning and afternoon

Shit was probably the most difficult exam I’ve ever taken. The test works in a weird way. It can be anywhere from 70 to 120 questions. And the test adapts itself and changes as you go along, depending on what you get correct and what you get wrong (and because of this you can’t go back and change your answers. Once you’ve submitted it, its done). For example, if you keep messing up on airway/resuscitation questions, the questions will start to change to test to see if your wrong answer was just a fluke or if you really genuinely don't know what you’re talking about.

And the test just abruptly ends once it has enough data. It has no set time because its all dependent on your answers and how consistently correct or incorrect you are. We were told that if your test shuts off at 70 questions then you either failed miserably or you fucking killed it. The test was just hitting me with shit that was really overly complicated and made me have to start doing educated guesses, based on narrowing the answers down.

I was not confident AT ALL during the test. Everything felt jacked up. And then my test shut down after question 70, so I left the testing room feeling for sure that I had failed.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:50 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
I took my EMT National Registry exam today and PASSED :-D

Jesus fuck I left that test saying to myself "there's no fucking way I passed that." I was stressing all morning and afternoon

Shit was probably the most difficult exam I’ve ever taken. The test works in a weird way. It can be anywhere from 70 to 120 questions. And the test adapts itself and changes as you go along, depending on what you get correct and what you get wrong (and because of this you can’t go back and change your answers. Once you’ve submitted it, its done). For example, if you keep messing up on airway/resuscitation questions, the questions will start to change to test to see if your wrong answer was just a fluke or if you really genuinely don't know what you’re talking about.

And the test just abruptly ends once it has enough data. It has no set time because its all dependent on your answers and how consistently correct or incorrect you are. We were told that if your test shuts off at 70 questions then you either failed miserably or you fucking killed it. The test was just hitting me with shit that was really overly complicated and made me have to start doing educated guesses, based on narrowing the answers down.

I was not confident AT ALL during the test. Everything felt jacked up. And then my test shut down after question 70, so I left the testing room feeling for sure that I had failed.

Hell yeah, mate. Well done. :beer:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:50 pm 

raumr wrote:
A question for musicians (or knowledgeable non-musicians): Is Capricornus' drumming on this Graveland track considered impressive? I'm writing about this song, and I don't how to describe it properly. The basic beat seems simple, but he does these fills and it sounds like he's changing it up constantly, which to me is pretty cool, but I'd like someone else's take on it.
Here is the song with the timestamp: LINK

It's not technically impressive, and it borders between loose and sloppy, but it's intuitive and creative enough to be perfect for the album. It's a good example of how the whole band creating a sound and capturing a feeling is more important than technical prowess.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:17 pm 

Started reading Tony Iommi's autobiography today. This is fun stuff. He's got a great, lighthearted writing style that just gets to the point. It's cool to read about this historical shit.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:08 pm 

Yoooooooo, I read that too a while ago! Have you already noticed how they treated Bill? :lol:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:11 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Yoooooooo, I read that too a while ago! Have you already noticed how they treated Bill? :lol:

I'm only 60 pages in, but yeah I can sort of see the issue there... hahaha.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:20 am 

Earlier today I was reading a bit about climate change and wildfires. A description of how quickly the Paradise fire spread tickled something in the back of my head that I vaguely remembered reading about last year: a Cold War-era proposal to use nuclear weapons as a last-resort firefighting tool. So I went through the notes I've taken on various nuke readings over the last year to find it, just to see if I was misremembering it or if the COVID social isolation protocols were starting to break my mind. Nope; found it. This little bit of historical insanity (link) paradoxically reassured me that I am not losing it.

The entire document isn't specifically about this subject, but some quotables:

U.S. NAVAL RADIOLOGICAL DEFENSE LABORATORY wrote:
The possibility of blasting a massive urban firebreak with a row of underground nuclear charges merits consideration

A firebreak is a gap in the landscape that slows the spread of fire; rivers and canyons are examples of a natural firebreak. They are talking about using nukes to rapidly create an artificial canyon in a recently-nuked city to prevent a firestorm from spreading. Almost literally fighting fire with fire.

A 1-KT nuclear explosive is lowered into each hole along the distance desired for the firebreak. The holes are 200 ft deep, 1.5 to 2 ft in diameter, 233 ft apart and drilled in soil or alluvium. There are 23 charges per mile.

While 1kt is a low yield, 23 of them would still equate to ~1 Nagasaki's per mile (albeit underground).

a projected cost of $350,000 for a 1-KT explosive is not unreasonable in view of the fact that the saving of only fourteen homes costing $25,000 each by means of a firebreak would pay for the explosive

Not unreasonable to detonate 1 low-yield nuke for every 14 homes saved...okay, duly noted.

Whenever you think today is the worst time to be alive, remember that these were the sorts of issues our parents' and grandparents' political leaders had to grapple with.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:33 pm 

The more I listen to tech death the more I become convinced that every band in it should just be instrumental because the obligatory instrumental show-off piece every single tech death album has is almost always one of the best songs on it.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:14 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Earlier today I was reading a bit about climate change and wildfires. A description of how quickly the Paradise fire spread tickled something in the back of my head that I vaguely remembered reading about last year: a Cold War-era proposal to use nuclear weapons as a last-resort firefighting tool.

Always fascinating to see what that era wanted to use nuclear weapons for - check out Project Orion - a rocket that was to be propelled by a series of atom bombs :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:35 pm 

Methuen wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:
Earlier today I was reading a bit about climate change and wildfires. A description of how quickly the Paradise fire spread tickled something in the back of my head that I vaguely remembered reading about last year: a Cold War-era proposal to use nuclear weapons as a last-resort firefighting tool.

Always fascinating to see what that era wanted to use nuclear weapons for - check out Project Orion - a rocket that was to be propelled by a series of atom bombs :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)
I made a post to this yesterday, guess it never went through, or pissed off a mod.

The gist of it was that the reason the project was cancelled was not due to a loss of life. That's amazing to me.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Last edited by Timeghoul on Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:40 pm 

My god, I love Renaissance so much. Scheherazade has been a favorite of mine for a number of years, but I finally branched out and checked out A Song for All Seasons, and I'm absolutely floored. Annie Haslam is incredible on every single track, and they're all catchy and heartfelt.

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:17 am 

Haha Encenathrakh finally changed the price of their full-length from 700-something USD to 7 USD on Bandcamp. Must be a real blow for the one person that actually bought it at that price.

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:36 am 

Tekdeth wrote:
Haha Encenathrakh finally changed the price of their full-length from 700-something USD to 7 USD on Bandcamp. Must be a real blow for the one person that actually bought it at that price.
They should be on the list of worst band logos. It is something, maybe Russian, with what appears to be other letter written over the ones. Making the entire thing completely unreadable. What fucking idiot is making decisions in that band? 700 something for their release and a complete mess of a logo. I won't even waste my time listening to their music.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:46 pm 

It is concerning for me that in my city, since people have finally gotten some financial assistance in this crisis, that every drive thru is backed up sometimes 40+ cars long for fast food. It is a sobering image.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:07 am 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
It is concerning for me that in my city, since people have finally gotten some financial assistance in this crisis, that every drive thru is backed up sometimes 40+ cars long for fast food. It is a sobering image.

For my town only Krispy Kreme donuts is like that. My roommate and I have no idea why. There are other places open, but only Krispy Kreme has a huge-ass backed up line.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:50 am 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Even more perplexing is how anyone can be bothered to wait, sometimes for 15+ minutes in sweltering heat for subsequent food poisoning. Fast food is absolutely disgusting.

Since the fast food industry is a way of life in the western world, is it weird that I have not even been to a fast food chain in over 15 years?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:45 pm 

This article is hilarious: https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/story ... e-dress-up

Dude is just beside himself with the fact that people don't want to put on a suit and tie while working from home. The mere idea that people might want to be comfortable outside an office space makes his blood boil.

BirthOfDisease
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:55 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
This article is hilarious: https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/story ... e-dress-up

Dude is just beside himself with the fact that people don't want to put on a suit and tie while working from home. The mere idea that people might want to be comfortable outside an office space makes his blood boil.

The man is salty over what other people are choosing to do with their lives. No matter how many times I see something like this, my blood pressure spikes all the same and I feel like wanting to slob out even more; I might even wear fluffy slippers and show them off to everyone else on video call! :O

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:44 pm 

I just think it's hysterical.

How dare you. How fucking dare you to wear comfy clothes at home, you insipid peasant. Can't you see that you're disrespecting me?! You fucking slob?!?!

It's nonsense.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:56 pm 

That guy definitely snitches to the cops whenever somebody is smoking weed near him.

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:43 pm 

I was out at night letting my dogs out. I saw a giant, almost like a fireball in the sky. It just floated there. The entire time that I was out there it stayed there in one spot. I'm under the air traffic lane into NY and also another traffic lane into the AFB near me (which is pretty cool to have a giant transport fly over. By the time they are over me they are about to land, so they are low). So I didn't think about it much until the next day. A few months ago a guy came into work saying how his teenagers saw something that sounded like what I saw. Except they saw windows or something. I did not. Mine was a giant floating fireball and it never moved from that spot for 10/15 minutes. I always want proof before I believe anything, just thought it was interesting.

Quote:

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:33 pm 

If only there was some sort of portable photographic device.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243 ... 332  Next