Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:10 am 

Went to this last year and it was nothing short of amazing. Awesome setting that really enhances the music, great people in attendance (and not too many), and plenty of excellent bands and new discoveries to be found. Absolutely worth the trek up towards Yellowstone, and it's hard to imagine doing regular festival camping after this experience.

I was able to score a presale ticket last weekend (with much difficulty), and general sales go up this coming weekend. Current lineup is:

Enslaved
Hexvessel
Bell Witch/Aerial Ruin
Obsequiae
Wayfarer
Eternal Champion
Dreadnought
DBUK (some of these members played country/folk stuff last year and were an absolute blast)
Tchornobog
Haunter
Yellow Eyes
Nechochwen (acoustic)
Ghosts of Glaciers
Visigoth
Anicon
Lykotonon
Yob
Steve Von Till (Neurosis)
Sean Parry (Sacred Knot tattoo0
Mike Scheidt (Yob)
Vardlokk (Enslaved/Witch/Draugar supergroup)
Solstafir

Final flyer
Spoiler: show
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Last edited by flexodus on Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:11 pm 

Got my ticket! And also went last year. Did a week in the Tetons+Yellowstone after; it was an unforgettable trip and somehow the lineup this year is even better.

Haven't decided if we're gonna do camping or a teepee this year. That uphill trek to the campsite is brutal, plus we'll be flying in to Jackson instead of driving which limits how much stuff we can bring.

Dallasa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:17 pm 

I went last year as well and like the others have nothing but good things to say about the fest and will be going back this year. The lineup is amazing already and there are still several bands left to announce I think. Kind of annoyed that the pre-sale was a disaster (again) but I will still gladly pay full price for a ticket.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:27 pm 

Yeah, they had an entire year to fix the pre-sale and still managed to fuck it up. They claimed it was a DDOS attack but that seems like an excuse. There's a reason most fests go through established ticket companies instead of trying to be all DIY about it. The extra fees they charge is worth the ability to have it actually work.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:47 pm 

YOB got added ..... where is my suicide emoji?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:08 am 

Eternal Champion and Visigoth? Goddamn, I'd almost go for that alone.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Cianan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:19 pm 

Also went last year and am going again this year. It’s going to be such an excellent time. I drove from NY last year but I think I’ll be flying this year and probably rent a car.

I’m also very curious to see how they work in the second stage.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:26 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Eternal Champion and Visigoth? Goddamn, I'd almost go for that alone.

This is the first year they’ve added power metal bands to the lineup, so I’m pretty ecstatic to finally see both of these, considering neither of them tour proper.

Yob added, haven’t heard them before (I’m not much of a stoner metal guy) but I’ve been getting into Elder lately so I hope I can appreciate them.

Steve Von Till of Neurosis added. I checked out his solo album the Enslaved curator recommended, and while it was certainly good, holy shit was it bleak, slow and depressing. Not quite the upbeat Slim Cessna/Munly vibe from last year that I loved.

Still no big headliners to rival Enslaved announced yet. I’d love for another huge band to get announced, like Emperor or an oldschool Opeth set. But both of them will already be in the US earlier this year, so maybe not super likely to happen.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:50 pm 

The final announcements are in! Solstafir is a pretty cool surprise; never dove deep into their catalogue but I really enjoyed Kold when it came out.

Also of note is this new, possibly one-off project Vardlokk, described as
Quote:
"a new band featuring Grutle Kjellson and Iver Sandoy from Enslaved, along with Dave Sweetapple, Tim Lehi, and Terri Chrisopher - members of bands such as Witch, and Draugar among many others. A band laden with doom, fuzz, and psychedelia with Norwegian choruses, Vardlokk “tells the story of Vikings landing in Vinland (Newfoundland) in the year 1000 A.D.”
and
Quote:
“Vardlokk is a deliciously psychedelic concoction of doom, psych, rock’n’roll and extreme metal - that blends together effortlessly. Grutle, who in my objective and utterly non-biased opinion is the best extreme Metal singer, and Iver from Enslaved are joined by a bunch of wonderful folks from the US; to be able to witness their live debut is a total treat for all us FiTM 2020 attendees!

All that's left is to plan the trip up and patiently count down the days! :hyper:

Pichushkin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:40 pm 

WY resident here. We’ve been very fortunate to avoid a large number of deaths and infections that have been besieging other states and it looks like our governor is being very cautious. He’s just announced that all campgrounds in Wyoming will be for residents only and that if anyone was to arrive from out of state they would need to quarantine for 2 weeks. This, plus the fact that Yellowstone is closed for the summer has me thinking that while there hasn’t been an official announcement of cancellation so far, it’s not looking good. Fuck you Covid.

Dallasa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:49 pm 

I have already accepted that this will inevitably be canceled. Just waiting for official announcement so I can cancel my flight, rental car, and lodging. I'm hoping right now that it just gets moved back to next year with the same dates and lineup.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:21 pm 

Yeah there's no way bands will be flying in from Europe as soon as July. Interestingly, though, Wyoming is already starting to reopen since they are the least-affected state. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a micro version (under 100 people) with local (Colorado) bands. But obviously they'd need to still refund everyone.

Dallasa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:15 pm 

Rescheduled to July 23-25 2021 with most, if not all the original lineup. Not much of a surprise.

TC_Daedalus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:00 am 

Hopefully things are stable by then and the festival is allowed to take place safely. I really want to see Nechochwen play live in person. Watching the on the livestream of Stay-At-Home fest was an absolute joy.

Trans rights are human rights. Reproductive rights are human rights. Nazis/TERFs/bigots and 'phobes fuck off.

https://threnodistsf.bandcamp.com

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:07 pm 

Well, today’s the day. I’m pretty heartbroken about the postponement, but if I waited a whole year I suppose I can wait another. I wonder which (if any) bands won’t be able to return by then. Was really looking forward to seeing Visigoth, Eternal Champion and Obsequiae in particular, seeing familiar faces and meeting new people.

My grandma lives in that corner of Wyoming, so hopefully I can head up there soon and spend a day in the Tetons anyway, before the weather turns.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:57 pm 

Yeah, this was by far the hardest cancellation. Enslaved and Visigoth are two of my all time favorites, and my experience at the fest last year was one of the best weekends of my life. Hopefully the US gets its shit together enough to make summer 2021 concerts happen.

Dallasa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:40 pm 

Well it's been pushed back again to 2022. Fuck. See y'all then, I hope.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:18 pm 

I was holding on to hope that they would have a slimmed-down, US-bands-only version of it this year since I'm desperate as hell for these kinds of experiences again. But it makes sense they'd just push it back to try to do the full thing next summer since we still have no idea where vaccinations will be by July.

diarrheal_geoff
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 5:07 pm 

Been holding out for this since the presale went up in 2020. Can’t wait for July. Bit bummed about some of the bands that had to drop but the lineup they worked out is still going to be great.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:15 am 

Been waiting to go back for years, but sadly I won't be able to make the rescheduled dates. Got a weekend pass available, DM for a cheaper price.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:58 pm 

Just like MDF, they announced there won't be a 2023 version and no confirmation for what the future holds after that. Understandable given all the delays and state of the world. Literally anything involving events, logistics, and people is an absolute clusterfuck right now, and it probably makes it all that much harder doing it in such a remote area.

So y'all better make this one count! I know I will.

Reply to topic