Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:35 pm 

thewrll wrote:
Would love know of some death metal bands whose song length is normally over 7 minutes. One of the aspects I love about black metal is the track length. I have fallen out of love for death metal am wondering if longer songs are just what I need. Would love recommendations from this year.

You'll probably find most of those kinds of death metal bands in the death/doom and "cavernous" death metal styles. Some bands/albums where most of the songs are at least 7 minutes long:
Suspiral
Phobocosm - Bringer of Drought
Spectral Voice
Thorr's Hammer
Desolate Shrine

If you want something even longer, Gorguts - Pleaides' Dust and Lie in Ruins - Demise are both single-song EPs that are about a half hour long.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:39 pm 

thewrll wrote:
am wondering if longer songs are just what I need.

Yes, the title track off "Failures for Gods" is just what you need.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:55 am 

jugchord07 wrote:
Looking for some death metal with the bass very prominent in the mix. Particularly looking for tech stuff along the lines of Equipoise and brutal death. Example Internal Bleeding's debut

Okay, I'm just listening to my new find: Skinned from Colorado, and their latest album, 'Shadow Syndicate'.

It's rather technical, at times brutal, but also eerie and even beautiful (the instrumental track). Bass-heavy as well.

Hope it finds its target...

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:09 am 

Skinned fucking sucks now, the only good thing they've ever done was the Army of the Dead demo in '95 and the split with Mentally Murdered a couple years later. Only one original member, and it shows super hard. That demo was super sick, they should have quit in like '99 though.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:17 am 

I know this is not very specific but two bands I am listening to near obsessively is Deeds of Flesh and Vital Remains. Can someone recommend something.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:41 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I know this is not very specific but two bands I am listening to near obsessively is Deeds of Flesh and Vital Remains. Can someone recommend something.

If you like Vital Remains maybe you will like these recommendations:

Blaspherian
Spoiler: show

Drawn and Quartered

Ritual Chamber

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:23 am 

Those are good OSDM bands.

Can I ask for some more BRUTAL bands such as Deeds of Flesh, Defeated Sanity, etc. I mean the more obscure the better.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:07 am 

In addition to my previous request can I have the names of any number of death metal bands who have directly derived their sound from Kreator or Slayer.

Some examples are Cannibal Corpse, Monstrosity, Morbid Angel, Malevolent Creation etc.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:50 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
In addition to my previous request can I have the names of any number of death metal bands who have directly derived their sound from Kreator or Slayer.

Some examples are Cannibal Corpse, Monstrosity, Morbid Angel, Malevolent Creation etc.

I recently listened to the new Oath of Cruelty. Definitely some thrash influence in there. The cover art is really cool too.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:27 pm 

That's(Oath of Cruelty) a good osdm band especially for a band that released this in 2019. Appreciate the rec.

However, in spite of the fact that there are thrash influences and that the album roughly sounds ok I somehow did not get the Slayer or Kreator vibe in it. Slayer and Kreator usually carry a song that I don' t often see in other newer bands.

If anyone has any brutal DM suggestions then please do quote them.

Some of the Brutal bands I like are:

Peshmerga
Abnormal Inhumane
Indonesian bands like Jasad,Jagal, etc.
Disgorge
Brodequin
Defeated Sanity
Deeds of Flesh

etc..

Cheers!

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:19 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Off the too of my head Mortem, Incubus, old Vader, Thanatos, Necrophagia, Massacra, Agressor and Loudblast those last three at least until they started to suck

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:59 pm 

that's some cool stuff. Thanatos has good vibes. Mortem and Incubus are great. I was familiar with them. Necrophagia is decent old school stuff.

Massacra I heard Final Holocaust and liked it. The guitars do have a nice sharp edge to them.

Surprisingly good is Agressor. Loudblast Sensorial Treatment is cool as shit.

These are just my first impressions.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:52 am 

Not 100% death metal, but the debut album by Mutilator from Brazil (Immortal Force, 1987) starts off copying Hell Awaits, right from the beginning.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:30 am 

Yes it's slightly more on the thrashy side but has good catchy guitar tone which makes it listenable. Since it's a 1987 release it doesn't have the maturity or propulsion to be found in say 1990s albums or later though.

Khan Vozdig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:55 am 

I'm looking for some thrashy old school death metal bands whose vocalists have a heavy " reverb " sort of vocal style like Death Dealer of Vomitor ...

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:44 pm 

Those vocals of Vomitor remind me of Mayhem.

So for blackened death metal, maybe try Grave Miasma or Dissection?

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:07 am 

Hey guys, was hoping someone could help me remember a specific band. It was a death metal band (obviously), maybe even doom/death, possibly from the UK, I could be wrong. Now, what I remember most, is that the album cover (i think they just had the one album) looked COMPLETELY like a brutal death metal album, but there were none of those elements in the music. This is the only time i have ever seen that done. I think it was a drawing of a guy putting corpses through a meat grinder if i remember correctly. I think it came out in the late 90s or early 2000s. I feel like someone will remember it, and im sorry if im being too vague. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:44 am 

Eli_the_Destroyer wrote:
Hey guys, was hoping someone could help me remember a specific band. It was a death metal band (obviously), maybe even doom/death, possibly from the UK, I could be wrong. Now, what I remember most, is that the album cover (i think they just had the one album) looked COMPLETELY like a brutal death metal album, but there were none of those elements in the music. This is the only time i have ever seen that done. I think it was a drawing of a guy putting corpses through a meat grinder if i remember correctly. I think it came out in the late 90s or early 2000s. I feel like someone will remember it, and im sorry if im being too vague. Any ideas? Thanks.

Not a perfect match but your description brings to mind Visceral Evisceration, gothic doom/death dressed in gore/brutal death aesthetics.

LudwigVanBeethoven
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:42 am 

Hello, I am not good at English. Please excuse me. I like old school death metal. Please recommend a death metal band.
I am looking for styles such as Immolation, Incantation, Imprecation (only 'Theurgia Goetia Summa' album), Infester, Disciplines of Mockery, Blaspherian, Fleshcrawl, Electrocution, Coffin Texts, Profanatica, and Mystifier.
I'm looking for a very old-school sound, ugly, radical, fundamentalist death metal.
I don't like Slam Brutal Death Metal or Modern Technical Death Metal.
I don't like Swedish Death Metal production.
I like sound like American Death Metal rather than Northern European Death Metal.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:32 am 

LudwigVanBeethoven wrote:
Hello, I am not good at English. Please excuse me. I like old school death metal. Please recommend a death metal band.
I am looking for styles such as Immolation, Incantation, Imprecation (only 'Theurgia Goetia Summa' album), Infester, Disciplines of Mockery, Blaspherian, Fleshcrawl, Electrocution, Coffin Texts, Profanatica, and Mystifier.
I'm looking for a very old-school sound, ugly, radical, fundamentalist death metal.
I like sound like American Death Metal rather than Northern European Death Metal.

Abyssal
Antediluvian
Adversarial
Aethyrvorous
Cruciamentum
Dead Congregation

I'm burnt out from cavernous death metal in general but I remember really enjoying these back in the day.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:30 am 

Rippingheadache is spot on. Dead Congregation is one of the ultimate death metal bands from the last 15 years, and the others are great too.

Also check out Funebrarum, Phrenelith, Hyperdontia, some of my recent favorites (well, not Funebrarum, they're older, but yeah). There are loads, but new and old.

jonowev
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:22 pm 

Check out Inverloch man

https://youtu.be/Vxrp-sZAXIo

Production may be too polished for your tastes but it's definitely in the spirit of those bands

Ulcerate is an obvious port of call too

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:42 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:

Abyssal
Antediluvian
Adversarial
Aethyrvorous
Cruciamentum
Dead Congregation

I'm burnt out from cavernous death metal in general but I remember really enjoying these back in the day.

I'll add Vassafor, Diocletian, Auroch, Mitochondrion, Black Curse, Burial Invocation, Necros Christos, Grave miasma, Irkallian Oracle, Malthusian, Obliteration, Spectral Voice, Shroud of the Heretic, Taphos, Swallowed, Tetragrammacide and Triunvir Foul.

Teitanblood too. Listen to Death.

potentialBand
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:25 pm 

You could probably throw GRUESOME into that list too, although I'm a little mixed on them myself.
They get a little too close to just repeating death's songs.

jugchord07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:46 am 

Looking for some good to great Autopsy worship in the vein of their first two albums

Review requests http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=74246

My blog http://foulfeast.blogspot.com

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:58 am 

Interested in diving into Technical, and Melodic Death metal. Not really sure what I want to start with though, so... Maybe Technical Melodeath?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:10 am 

Firmament1 wrote:
Interested in diving into Technical, and Melodic Death metal. Not really sure what I want to start with though, so... Maybe Technical Melodeath?

Sounds like some Anata might be in order. They're not ridiculously technical, but enough to earn the distinction. The use of melody is also very tasteful and not overblown. Just a really good metal band overall!

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:32 am 

Virvum is quite technical and also very melodic at times. I highly recommend them.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:35 pm 

jugchord07 wrote:
Looking for some good to great Autopsy worship in the vein of their first two albums

I wouldn't call either worship but two older bands worth checking out are Accidental Suicide and Morgue (the US one)

Qayn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:50 am 

Here's something new - Palimpsest - hailing from New Zealand and Portugal! Experimental Death Metal

https://palimpsest.bandcamp.com/releases

potentialBand
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:57 pm 

Nile is always a good listen if you're looking for tech death.
George Kollias is a boss.

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:59 am 

Wondering if there's more death metal out there that has vocals kind of like Nick Holmes. I really like his raspy, gritty, dry growls.

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:44 am 

More stuff like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38qwByvMMaE

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:47 am 

jugchord07 wrote:

Try Thrombus, Murder Squad, Obliteration, Scorched.

Necroment
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:16 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Maybe this record? Sounds similar to early DoF:

Firmament1 wrote:

Try this albums:

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:14 pm 

Looking for some Punk influenced death metal. Also some Good death n roll if anyone knows anything worthwhile.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:59 am 

hots_towel wrote:
Looking for some Punk influenced death metal. Also some Good death n roll if anyone knows anything worthwhile.

There's a bunch of bands mixing death metal with powerviolence/crust/hardcore and the likes right now. Here's some:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:43 am 

hots_towel wrote:

You can also check Knelt Rote, they were a death metal + grindcore band from Portland.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:32 pm 

hots_towel wrote:

Here's some Totenmond, that always works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOYafjNG8mk

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:30 pm 

Can someone point me in the direction of some slam death metal that has understandable lyrics and has a proportionate amount of death metal and slams? Like Molesting The Decapitated, but tighter rhythmically and with a better guitar tone.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280 ... 289  Next