* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BirthOfDisease
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:56 pm 

Sedition and Pockets wrote:

Welcome to the Trans Metal Mafia, Chloe! :love:

Thanks for the welcome! it's nice to be back :)

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:39 am 

Hey. I'm someone that's really, really, really new to metal; As in, I only just started listening to it in February of this year. Despite all that though, I've been trying to sample a few different types of genres, like Prog, Death, Classic, NWOBHM, and of course, Thrash. Nothing really unexpected there. Would love to hear some recommendations for other genres I haven't explored yet, though!

Favourite bands include:
- Anthrax
- Metallica
- Megadeth
- Slipknot (Cut me some slack here, I'm new)
- Voivod
- Bloodbath
- Judas Priest
- Vektor
- Dio

Looking forward to learning more about this genre!

decomposedzombie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:41 pm 

quarantine and scractch my balls brought me here so...obviously metal too...hi

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:12 am 

Welcome and you should never apologize for the music you like. I grew up with the elitist attitude of metal and I regret it. In the 1990s I listened to Death Metal only. I missed out on a lot of good metal and music in general. Music is wonderful. I like the first three Slipknot records. I didn't check them out because of all the shit they get. I didn't get into them until the third album. I'm not a fan of much after the third album, but I like those first three albums.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Larawell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:53 pm 

Favorite genre include:
Death Metal, Black Metal

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:07 pm 

I may do a longer proper introduction later on if I feel compelled, but I figure I should at least adumbrate a few points.

I've been a metalhead for almost 2/3 of my life now, and though I frequently explore other genres as well, metal remains regnant. I've dipped my toe into most of the sub-genres at one point or another, but my predilection is for progressive, melodic death, death, gothic, doom, power, and their intersections.

I'm a jack of all trades musician on guitar, drums, keyboards, bass, mandolin, and saxophone, and have bounced around a lot of musical projects on an amateur level.

I've regularly used this site for probably over a decade and a half, though for whatever reason even though I've lurked in here on occasion I've tended to forget there is also a discussion forum. In this new age of social distancing and isolation I've grown rather nostalgic, and since metal has long been a passion of mine I like to talk about it and do my part to help build a little more of a community around it.

I've been on many forums under a variety of aliases, including this alias, but sadly most of them aren't always as directly connected to my interests or have faded as the ubiquitous rise of newer social media like Facebook and Reddit have crowded them out, but I find the formats there and similar places often obnoxious and not conducive to discussion. There still seems to be some life here, though I'm sure it has been affected as well.

Eyesofhorror44
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:46 am 

I'm a frequent user of the metal archives, always come here to explore bands and read album reviews, but never made an account here until now. I'm eternally grateful for the metal gatekeepers who put all this valuable information out there for newbies like me to explore! I figured since I have all this free time, why not join and maybe review some of my favourite albums/interact with other metalheads and get some sweet recommendations :p

I'm Melissa *read this in King Diamond's voice singing Melissa :p cheesy I know but I had to*, I'm 26, residing in cold winter-y Canada *writing this as I'm listening to Immortal's at the heart of winter album for the millionth time lol*. I'm pretty late to the metal train, my introduction to metal was in 2015 (yikes, I know), though Iron Maiden popping up in a random YouTube suggestions and tipsy-me going why the hell not, clicking, and getting hooked instantly!

My favourite sub-genres are black, death, and thrash, absolute favourites are Possessed, Death, Burzum, Iron Maiden.

Feel free to drop any suggestions you have for me here, I'm here to not miss out on hidden gems \m/

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:48 pm 

Welcome and I always highly recommend Ophidian Forest. I was longtime friends with the previous guitarist. I am not the biggest black metal fan. The Emperor type of Black Metal, but I do like some. They are pretty good and most people have never heard of them. Check them out, let me know what you think.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:59 pm 

Eyesofhorror44 wrote:
I'm pretty late to the metal train, my introduction to metal was in 2015 (yikes, I know)

It's never too late! And you now have the vast majority of the world's metal at your fingertips, so you don't have to spend all your time just trying to track it down like those of use who grew up in the 90s or earlier did, before music on the internet was omnipresent.

Necroment
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:31 pm 

Hi. I’ve been digging for different cool bands in the database for many years, now i`m signed up. Why? Dunno. I mostly listen to Brutal Death Metal (Suffo, Deeds of Flesh, Broken Hope, Dying Fetus, Brodequin, etc.) and some other metal (and other genres). This site always soothes my eyes and nervous system. Cheers.

MohawksAmongUs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:04 pm 

Hi, my name is Benjamín, I'm from Santiago de Chile, and I'm 19. I started browsing this site in 2014 but decided to start posting just now. My favourite genre is DM although I also enjoy grindcore and thrash. Cheers!

wiz666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:18 pm 

Hey everyone,
I'm Denis from Slovenia, I love metal and it's one of my favorite genres! Black, Death, Grind, Folk, Symphonic all of them...it can all be good if the band plays it good!
Sometimes it's instant love when I hear it for the first time and sometimes it's a process.
Maybe I don't really dig the band when I hear it for the first time, but then somehow life turns around and I start liking the band.
Anyway, I've been founding a lot of information about the bands I like on this website for years now, so I finally decided to join up and maybe share my cup of tea every now and then. :)

Eyesofhorror44
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:02 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Eyesofhorror44 wrote:
I'm pretty late to the metal train, my introduction to metal was in 2015 (yikes, I know)

It's never too late! And you now have the vast majority of the world's metal at your fingertips, so you don't have to spend all your time just trying to track it down like those of use who grew up in the 90s or earlier did, before music on the internet was omnipresent.

You are absolutely right! So much metal to explore, just a few clicks away, bless the internet lol

scosepoise
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:08 pm 

Hi everyone, long time lurker here! Been coming everyday for years, always thinking I gotta make an account soon…and one day I wake up and it’s been nearly a decade. :lol:

Anyway, I’m Rachel, from France but enjoying life in the UK. As far as metal goes, I’m mainly into black, doom, drone and OSDM, but open to mostly anything. I also love jazz, the more experimental side of electronic music, and loads of slow sad and/or noisy indie stuff, among other things!

Can’t guarantee I’ll post that much - not usually the chattiest person on the internet - but at least I’m registered now. Can’t wait to get to know you guys!

FoulJason95
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:33 am 

Hi everyone, my name is not Jason, but FoulJason95 was a username I came up with recently for Halo:MCC on Steam. I found it humorous so I decided to use it here also.

I'm not new to metal, but I am (obviously) new to this site, a list of bands I enjoy is on my profile. Aside from metal I enjoy stickfighting, as well nerd shit such as science fiction, comic books, and Magic: The Gathering.

I plan to post semi-regularly, we'll see if I actually go. I look forward to talking with you guys, I don't really know anyone who listens to metal IRL so it'll be a breath of fresh air to be able to discuss my favorite genres.

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:53 pm 

Greetings to all the newbies. I'm Paul. I'm into speed... thrash, power and death metal. I love my movies, especially sci-fi and horror. I love my sci-fi books. The usual: Dune and Phillip K. Dick. I'm more inclined to read new reviews than to post myself. Its a good way to discover new metal.

Collarbones
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:16 pm 

Hello, metallum! I've used this site for a long time but never really contributed or interacted much on it so I wanted to start now since my work hours have been somewhat reduced lol. I really enjoy black and death metal and all their other niches (like dsbm or slam or death grind, etc). I'm gonna start doing reviews too!

Ranfla
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:37 pm 

I’m new posting on here but have my account for a little. I love me some OSDM, I paint cars, weld, color sand, etc, love me some low riders and old chevys. Los Angeles, CA is home.

Simfers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:28 am 

Well uh... Hi! Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Been a metalhead since the early 1990s (does that make me old? I was a pre-teen at the time), when i first heard Scorpions' Crazy World, although I really started diving in with Rhapsody's Legendary Tales a few years later. Mostly a European power metal fan, although trad and US power metal have been taking more and more space in my listening habits.

I may not contribute a ton, as I'm naturally a quiet guy, but I look forward to talking with you all.

Cheers!

Dudeguy Jones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:45 pm 

Hi, Im Tim. Im 43. I have a 4yr old and am married and live in NY, USA.
Firstly, thanks to everyone for being cool. It may seem trite, but truthfully, I really appreciate having decency present in some areas of the vast internet.

I run a graphic design business with my wife that is essentially dead in the water, but will revive again.
Ive been a metal fan since the late 80s when I jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire listening to a college radio station from NJ. Back then I was all Slayer/Sepultura/Metallica/Carcass. I abandoned metal to some degree as I became a serious hardcore fan and felt that music with a message was best.
Time has a way of making the surreal evident and Ive lightened up quite a bit, thanks to a friend who reignited a love for death metal in the late 90s.

I love playing video games (Subnautica and Outer Wilds are my current faves) and reading (Malazan is my favorite book series) and biking and hiking/camping.
I also love playing toys with my little gal. Shes really into her figurines and we play a lot of Octonauts and Miffy the Bunny.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:10 am 

All music has a message, sometimes it's just not straight up and you need to think about it first.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Dudeguy Jones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:28 pm 

Well yeah.

While some metal continues to have a message regarding social issues, metal that is portraying a message of epic adventures and gore and satanism (or racism etc.) is not the same kind of "message" I am talking about here, when I mention being interested in hardcore in the 90s. I apologize if that wasn't clear from the framing of my introduction.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:01 am 

Dudeguy Jones wrote:
Firstly, thanks to everyone for being cool. It may seem trite, but truthfully, I really appreciate having decency present in some areas of the vast internet.

I run a graphic design business with my wife that is essentially dead in the water, but will revive again.
Ive been a metal fan since the late 80s when I jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire listening to a college radio station from NJ. Back then I was all Slayer/Sepultura/Metallica/Carcass. I abandoned metal to some degree as I became a serious hardcore fan and felt that music with a message was best.
Time has a way of making the surreal evident and Ive lightened up quite a bit, thanks to a friend who reignited a love for death metal in the late 90s.

I love playing video games (Subnautica and Outer Wilds are my current faves) and reading (Malazan is my favorite book series) and biking and hiking/camping.
I also love playing toys with my little gal. Shes really into her figurines and we play a lot of Octonauts and Miffy the Bunny.
Welcome. I still listen to WSOU every now and again. They still slip some Maiden or Motorhead in, but they are mostly I guess it's Metalcore? I do like some of that stuff. I saw All that Remains opening for someone and was really impressed. Anyway, I am originally from NY, but live in NJ now. Came here with my ex when I got out of the military. Trapped here now. Anyway, again welcome.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:01 am 

Dudeguy Jones wrote:

Welcome. I still listen to WSOU every now and again. They still slip some Maiden or Motorhead in, but they are mostly I guess it's Metalcore? I do like some of that stuff. I saw All that Remains opening for someone and was really impressed. Anyway, I am originally from NY, but live in NJ now. Came here with my ex when I got out of the military. Trapped here now. Anyway, again welcome.

Dudeguy Jones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:26 pm 

Thanks! Cant believe WSOU is still around. And you knew what I was talking about with me actually saying the call letters.
I definitely recall hearing some metal core back in the day. Remember that band Nothingface?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:37 am 

Hi, Dudeguy. :) Love the vastly different backgrounds we all come from here.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:53 am 

Dudeguy Jones wrote:
Well yeah.

While some metal continues to have a message regarding social issues, metal that is portraying a message of epic adventures and gore and satanism (or racism etc.) is not the same kind of "message" I am talking about here, when I mention being interested in hardcore in the 90s. I apologize if that wasn't clear from the framing of my introduction.

What I meant is that a lot of that stuff also has a message regarding social issues, just packages it into layers of allegory. Like orcs and elves and demos all came from something and someone meant to say something about the world with them. Same with rupturing the purulent putrescence of the decomposed urethra, it's actually saying something about the world.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Jon_aeurtum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:23 pm 

Hey,

I'm Jon, a long time lurker on here who's only just grown the balls to participate in shenanigans and make new friends.

I'm the guy in UK Melodic Death/Doom band Aeurtum, and I'm into pretty much any music there is, both for writing and listening.

Most notable bands for me are Agalloch, Woods of Ypres, Dissection, and I've been going down the rabbit hole of stuff like Falls of Rauros, Lascar, Zhrine, Altar of Plagues, Schammasch etc... so the more apocalyptic, "28 Days Later" or just pure evil sounding Post/Progressive Black Metal you can send my way the better!

I also collect Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) Merch/Figures/DVDs and it's getting pretty ridiculous now

Silan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:40 am 

Hi
I'm Ivan, also a long time lurker. I decided to start writing here because I've been making amateur "guitar music" lol and I really want someone to check it out. I'm really inspired by Quorthon/Thomas Forsberg of Bathory and just wanna be like him and make music all on my own. I think my long term dream is to be featured on metal archives one day. So I was wondering, is there like a thread for amateur metal jams showcase or something like that? Cause in the past, over ten years ago, when I was getting into metal I was sometimes coming to the forums to see, for example, why there's no Led Zeppelin on metal archives but there is Deep Purple and I've been kind of thinking to myself: "What do I need to do to make music that qualifies as metal?" because the music I listen to is 85% metal, but some tracks that I write end up sounding off, albeit cool and sometimes heavy.

MercianMan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:08 am 

Hey folks. Big thanks to all who've made so much of this amazing metal community - have enjoyed the last decade or so finding new bands and learning about the genre I've loved since I was 10, and that's now coming up to 34 years of incredible sounds. About time I joined up and thanks again for having me.

Back in '86 an older kid on the bus lent me 'Number of the Beast' on a crappy cassette and it's been happily downhill from there... two years later Slayer and Napalm Death hit me and despite the pessimists I always knew I'd love metal until I die.

I like camping, beer gardens, being outdoors, and love my family. My other name is Timbo.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:11 pm 

Silan wrote:
Hi
I'm Ivan, also a long time lurker. I decided to start writing here because I've been making amateur "guitar music" lol and I really want someone to check it out. I'm really inspired by Quorthon/Thomas Forsberg of Bathory and just wanna be like him and make music all on my own. I think my long term dream is to be featured on metal archives one day. So I was wondering, is there like a thread for amateur metal jams showcase or something like that? Cause in the past, over ten years ago, when I was getting into metal I was sometimes coming to the forums to see, for example, why there's no Led Zeppelin on metal archives but there is Deep Purple and I've been kind of thinking to myself: "What do I need to do to make music that qualifies as metal?" because the music I listen to is 85% metal, but some tracks that I write end up sounding off, albeit cool and sometimes heavy.

There's a "critical feedback" thread in the musicians forum where you can post your work and see what people think of it. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104942

As for writing music that qualifies as metal, just stay away from one-noting and plain power chord progressions, and put emphasis on actual patterns of notes ("metal riffs"). With that in mind, 95% of the time you'll end up writing some kind of metal. If you release an EP or album in the future, maybe you can add your own project to MA - I did a little over a year ago.

Welcome to the site!

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:39 pm 

Greetings! So I'm not new here nor am I someone with a new username, but I haven't been here for a couple of years. I just wasn't sure where else to ask this question beyond pm'ing a random mod (which I'm not sure if they already get overloaded with messages, so thought I'd post instead), so very sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

Basically after coming back, I found that my username was functioning on the site but not the forum, which I seem now to have fixed (obviously since I'm posting, lol). But the question I have is about switching my email address from my old address to a "new" one. Basically the email address I had signed up here with in '06 is one that I haven't used in ages, so I think Gmail has actually deleted it/closed it. I'm wondering if I switch to my current email address whether there will be any problems caused by me not being able to get into my old account?

When I go to switch email addresses it does say:

Quote:
Attention: your account will be deactivated when you update your email address, because you need to revalidate your account. To do so, please follow the link in the email you will receive to your new email address.

...but I'm super, duper paranoid, so if some kind soul, either from the mod team or someone who otherwise knows these things, can confirm that I won't wind up losing my current account if I try to switch my email address to a new one without any access at all to the old one (since its been deleted/closed), that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! :)

~Guest 927084
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:45 am 

Hello!

I'm rather pitiful at introductions, so I guess I'll keep it simple. My name is Brian; I'm 28 and reside on the East coast of the United States. I enjoy beer, music, peace & quiet, and not doing a goddamn thing. My affair with metal and its subsets has diminished over the years, but I still very much enjoy it—albeit more as a hobbyist now than a devotee. I stick primarily to atmospheric-tinged black metal with the occasional bout of melodeath tossed in for nostalgia.

I've been lurking on M-A since my very early teens, first discovering it I think somewhere around 2004 - 2005? This has always been my Wikipedia and I owe much of my transformative journey through metal to this website. I'm not sure what exactly made me create an account a few days ago. Perhaps pandemic-induced cabin fever... but, I suppose it's better to be late to the party than to miss it altogether. I enjoy skimming through the forums and reading reviews and I, just recently, got my first ever review published here after not having written anything for anywhere in years. I found the process to be fun and rewarding and hope to get more written while my life is on pause.

Thank you, staff & contributors, for providing the single most comprehensive metal resource on the internet. Cheers.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:54 pm 

brimarsh wrote:
I'm not sure what exactly made me create an account a few days ago. Perhaps pandemic-induced cabin fever... but, I suppose it's better to be late to the party than to miss it altogether.

Hey, that's exactly me, three months ago.

~Guest 927084
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:03 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
brimarsh wrote:
I'm not sure what exactly made me create an account a few days ago. Perhaps pandemic-induced cabin fever... but, I suppose it's better to be late to the party than to miss it altogether.

Hey, that's exactly me, three months ago.

I figured I wasn't the only one in this situation! :lol:

~Guest 938257
Another JS Account

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:03 am 

Hello, MA! Made this account to post about metal! This seemed like the logical place to do that...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:54 pm 

cdedsml wrote:
Hello, MA! Made this account to post about metal! This seemed like the logical place to do that...

Welcome back.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:05 am 

Who is JS?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:20 pm 

Welcome back, John. Not that you really left exactly.

CatalanBG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:43 am 

Hello everyone!

This is my first post. A Blind Guardian lover since I've discovered them in a friend's house in 1998 (Nightfall)... And I was like.. Whaaaat a hell is this??? Loved all their albums ever since.

I listen to all kind of music (yes, almost all of them) but I am so deep in love with the music, lyrics and feelings of all Blind Guardian albums, I keep listening to all of them quite often. But my "metal" knowledge ends here.

I found this web while searching for BG information and I think I can take this opportunity to discover more amazing Metal bands similar to Blind Guardian, in terms of music, story, lyrics, chores... that I have may missed and there are there to be discovered.

Anyone wants to suggest me something new to start listening?

Thank you in advance!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154 ... 156  Next