* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:57 pm 

true_death wrote:
A few I've watched over the last few weeks/months:

Land of the Lustrous: Really the only CG-anime I've ever been able to watch or take seriously. Pretty unique and creative story with really beautiful art. Main character was initially annoying, but I grew to appreciate her later on as her personality evolves. The main problem is that it doesn't have a solid conclusion, the story really starts to get interesting and then ends without solving anything. Overall though, I'm glad I watched it, a solid 8/10.

Made in Abyss: Just finished this tonight, and it's a masterpiece. Really great mix of adventure, mystery, and horror...amazing art, probably some of the most evocative and gorgeous music I've ever seen in an anime. Loved how it conveyed such a strong sensation of childlike wonder and excitement while still toying around with some incredibly dark themes. I also think this is one of the coolest "worlds" in any anime I've ever seen, you could make an entire show about simply exploring the abyss without any major plot and I would eat it the fuck up. Easily a 9/10.

Steins;Gate (rewatch): Just finished my 2nd viewing of this classic, with my brother (who had never seen it). Both of us loved it, I personally loved it even better the second time around...people always praise the first episode as one of the best ever, but I personally think the last episode is one of the best and most satisfying conclusions to any anime I've ever seen. Definitely another 9/10.

Ascension of a Bookworm: This show just aired this past season, and it's definitely one of the best I've seen in a long time. Technically an isekai, but there's not really any battle or action, it's more character-driven and deals with more mature, real-world themes despite being set in a fantasy world. The two main characters (Main & Lutz) had really great chemistry and it made for a very touching relationship where they both want to help make the other's dream come true...but my favorite character was actually the father. Won't spoil anything but there's a scene involving him later on in the series, at the very end of one of the episodes, which was incredibly quick and subtle but no less evocative and really brought a tear to my eye - a good display of how this show makes the characters feel like real people with realistic emotions. Honestly, I don't have a bad word to say about it, yet another 9/10.

Sounds like our tastes are pretty similar, so I'll have to check out this Ascension of a Bookworm series, then.
Jonpo wrote:
YOU GUYS THERE'S NEW MADOKA MAGICA AND IT'S AMAZING

It's a different set of magical girls entirely. It just started up on 1/4 so only 3 episodes out at the moment. I'm still a little sketchy on the name but if you search for Madoka Side Story on the bootleg anime website of your choice you should find it easily enough.

I love that it hits the ground running with weirdness. I guess they assume if you're watching this you've already seen the earlier stuff. The only shared character so far is Kyubey, still doing horrendous things and preying on the minds of children. The artwork, witch design and labyrinths are killer so far.

I had no idea this was coming but Madoka Magica is one of the few animes I get hyped about. Can't believe how good the first two episodes were. Check it!

But the important question is...does Gen Urobuchi have writing credits? If so, instant classic. If not, well, it still sounds promising. I'ma have to take a look-see.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:40 pm 

I can't find that name on the wikipedia credits but I have no idea how accurate that is. I have to say, it feels like a natural/logical extension of the first series. I'm glad they disconnected from the cast entirely. It's a whole new group of magical girls but they're mostly still going through the same shit. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone but uh yeah...Kyubey is still just the worst.

I went in having no expectations and I'm thrilled with the first 2 episodes. Definitely going to be watching the 3rd tonight, and then I have to wait like some kinda scrub.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:57 pm 

Gen Urobuchi is the guy who created and wrote Madoka Magica (along with Fate/Zero and Psycho-Pass).

WilliG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:04 pm 

I'm watching Chihayafuru for the first time and it's surprinsingly entertained.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:47 pm 

WilliG wrote:
I'm watching Chihayafuru for the first time and it's surprinsingly entertained.

Damn straight. Chihayafuru is a goddamn classic, as far as I'm concerned.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:20 pm 

I recently saw the corpse party OVA's it's just four episodes and I was pleased by it. Good explanation on the plot, some chilling horror moments and a shocking ending. I also watched the first season of a Chinese anime called Cupid's Chocolates which was a good harem and has nice humour and additionally I tried watching Dagashi Kashi and it's just dumb. Only the characters are animated to be attractive and it's so boring. Seriously I couldn't watch up to two episodes. Finally I just started watching Toradora which is also a pretty good slice of life anime albeit a bit old.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:05 am 

Jonpo wrote:
YOU GUYS THERE'S NEW MADOKA MAGICA AND IT'S AMAZING

It's a different set of magical girls entirely. It just started up on 1/4 so only 3 episodes out at the moment. I'm still a little sketchy on the name but if you search for Madoka Side Story on the bootleg anime website of your choice you should find it easily enough.

I love that it hits the ground running with weirdness. I guess they assume if you're watching this you've already seen the earlier stuff. The only shared character so far is Kyubey, still doing horrendous things and preying on the minds of children. The artwork, witch design and labyrinths are killer so far.

I had no idea this was coming but Madoka Magica is one of the few animes I get hyped about. Can't believe how good the first two episodes were. Check it!

How i managed to miss this? I'm instantly hyped!

Lately i was really impressed for very different reasons by Kill La Kill and Vinland Saga:
The first walked for it's whole duration the thin line berween awesomeness and total sillyness, managing to be enterataining every single second

The second was a grim tale with great writing and twists, and also some unexpected atmospheric moments that made it very memorable. Who tought that anime vikings could work so well? :)

Promised Neverland was also good, with a lot of tense cat and mouse moments. I had to susped my disbelief a lot, but i'm really interested to see where the story is going

APaleShadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:00 am 

Quote:
Steins;Gate (rewatch): Just finished my 2nd viewing of this classic, with my brother (who had never seen it). Both of us loved it, I personally loved it even better the second time around...people always praise the first episode as one of the best ever, but I personally think the last episode is one of the best and most satisfying conclusions to any anime I've ever seen. Definitely another 9/10.

I just finished the original visual novel and big chunk of S;G0 and I am absolutely in love with the series. Why do I love seeing fictional characters suffer so much?

DxMxGxD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:01 pm 

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:29 am 

Wow, haven't been around lately but it's nice to see one of my threads is still active after almost 10 years.

DxMxGxD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:53 am 

dont know this has previously been posted before

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:10 am 

Watching Macross Plus OVA for the first time in like 15 years. It still holds up.

DxMxGxD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:29 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Sadly seems like the largest majority of the anime fanbase can't go back more than a few years. When stuff like Lagann, Bebop, Monster, GITS SAC, or the original Hunter x Hunter are "old"... lord have mercy. Age shouldn't dictate quality.

Bigger fan of cel animation myself. The early 2000's digital era was the absolute worst era by far, just look at any Sunrise show from then, it's disturbing how bad Gundam SEED, Argento Soma, etc look, especially when compared to Outlaw Star, Bebop, Ippo, Hunter x Hunter 99', etc which were late 90's and some of the last cel drawn shows, they look like movies in comparison. Nowadays though, I really have no complaints and studios like Madhouse have some godly looking shows that look like full blown TV OVA's (Hunter x Hunter). But the charm of the cel era and the amazing colors/blacks will probably never be fully replicated again. Animation and art style wise I think the late 80's/early 90's have the coolest looks ever. All those OVA's and stuff like City Hunter or late 80's Sunrise shows, that stuff is perfection.

Discotek recently licensed Giang Gorg. Seriously came out of nowhere, I hope this means they're going to license more classic Sunrise. Either way I want to buy everything from Discotek, they rock!

word. the beauty, charm and artistry of animation in general died when cel animation was completely phased. not even a fan of cgi integrated with cel animation in 90s anime, eg macross plus, ghost in the shell, vision of escaflowne, cowboy bebop

DxMxGxD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:23 pm 

this needs to be remastered for a blu ray release asap. shame its only a 48 min ova but...

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:49 am 

Recently watched March Comes In Like a Lion in it's entirety - what a masterpiece. One of the most honest and down to earth depictions of tragedy, loss, and general depression I've ever seen in any fictional media, let alone anime. Kind of similar to the classic Welcome to the NHK (one of my all-time favorites), although it's nowhere near as brutal and doesn't really delve deeply into "extreme" stuff like suicide or hikikomori shit. It moreso just feels very real, I guess...the characters are all brilliantly written and feel like real people, and I honestly can't remember if I've ever related to a fictional character on the level that I have for Rei Kiriyama, there were several moments concerning isolation and loneliness that really hit me hard on a deeply personal level - but in a good way, of course. It also helps that the animation is fucking gorgeous...yeah, this show is a solid 10/10.

I watched a few classics from my childhood over the last weeks/months, namely Wolf's Rain (rarely see people mention this one, but I loved it and it has one of the best endings of any anime I've ever seen), and the unforgettable classic Paranoia Agent (an absolutely effortless masterpiece, a stroke of genius without a doubt!), but then I ended up at another from my childhood, Ergo Proxy which I felt as a little "ehhh?". Basically, this show starts out really strong with a cool cyberpunk thriller aesthetic and I was totally sucked in, but eventually it changes genre into something more boring and quickly loses alot of it's steam...by the end I felt like it was trying too hard to seem "deep" and just kind of fell flat for the most part. The ending felt very hackneyed and forced, and ultimately hard to follow due to poor writing.

Also, Attack on Titan? It's pretty cool. Finally got around to watching it after years of avoidance and....first season was some nice, dumb fun. A bit over the top and perhaps a little cringey at times, but very fun and I had a total blast watching it. Second season I liked a little less but was still enjoyable...but damn, the third season hit me like a ton of bricks. For a show that started out with a very simple premise (people are getting eaten by monsters and we have to stop them), it's unbelievable how complex and well-written it ends up being. I had my own expectations as to what the "twist" was going to be - something I felt was obvious, but I watched that get shattered in a very satisfying way :lol:. Really stoked to watch the upcoming 4th season now!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:58 am 

So I've watched the Gantz and Rurouni Kenshin live-action and I surprisingly loved them (much more RK than Gantz, though). Might I potentially like the animes and even (gasp) the mangas for these series? Or are these like the Killswitch Engages of the Japanese pop art world?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:31 pm 

true_death wrote:
Recently watched March Comes In Like a Lion in it's entirety - what a masterpiece. One of the most honest and down to earth depictions of tragedy, loss, and general depression I've ever seen in any fictional media, let alone anime. Kind of similar to the classic Welcome to the NHK (one of my all-time favorites), although it's nowhere near as brutal and doesn't really delve deeply into "extreme" stuff like suicide or hikikomori shit. It moreso just feels very real, I guess...the characters are all brilliantly written and feel like real people, and I honestly can't remember if I've ever related to a fictional character on the level that I have for Rei Kiriyama, there were several moments concerning isolation and loneliness that really hit me hard on a deeply personal level - but in a good way, of course. It also helps that the animation is fucking gorgeous...yeah, this show is a solid 10/10.

I watched a few classics from my childhood over the last weeks/months, namely Wolf's Rain (rarely see people mention this one, but I loved it and it has one of the best endings of any anime I've ever seen), and the unforgettable classic Paranoia Agent (an absolutely effortless masterpiece, a stroke of genius without a doubt!), but then I ended up at another from my childhood, Ergo Proxy which I felt as a little "ehhh?". Basically, this show starts out really strong with a cool cyberpunk thriller aesthetic and I was totally sucked in, but eventually it changes genre into something more boring and quickly loses alot of it's steam...by the end I felt like it was trying too hard to seem "deep" and just kind of fell flat for the most part. The ending felt very hackneyed and forced, and ultimately hard to follow due to poor writing.

Also, Attack on Titan? It's pretty cool. Finally got around to watching it after years of avoidance and....first season was some nice, dumb fun. A bit over the top and perhaps a little cringey at times, but very fun and I had a total blast watching it. Second season I liked a little less but was still enjoyable...but damn, the third season hit me like a ton of bricks. For a show that started out with a very simple premise (people are getting eaten by monsters and we have to stop them), it's unbelievable how complex and well-written it ends up being. I had my own expectations as to what the "twist" was going to be - something I felt was obvious, but I watched that get shattered in a very satisfying way :lol:. Really stoked to watch the upcoming 4th season now!

I've been meaning to catch March Comes in Like a Lion, but I just haven't gotten around to it. And I've heard the same sentiments regarding Attack on Titan, and it, too, is on my plan-to-watch list.
darkeningday wrote:
So I've watched the Gantz and Rurouni Kenshin live-action and I surprisingly loved them (much more RK than Gantz, though). Might I potentially like the animes and even (gasp) the mangas for these series? Or are these like the Killswitch Engages of the Japanese pop art world?

The Gantz anime is hot garbage, from what I've heard, but I've also heard the manga is great if you're into its bleak setting.

The Rurouni Kenshin anime is an interesting beast: The 95-episode TV series is pretty great, although it has moments of wacky comedy that don't gel well with the samurai drama going on. There is an anime movie that came out around 2013 but it's entirely useless. And then there's the two OVAs that came out around 1999-2000: Tsuiokuhen (Trust & Betrayal) and Seisouhen (Reflections). Seisouhen is lovingly animated but also pretty useless, but Tsuiokuhen is a goddamn classic samurai anime and is, in my opinion, even better than the TV series.

So your assignments are:
- Gantz manga
- Rurouni Kenshin TV series
- Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen OVA

DxMxGxD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:28 pm 

if you've never seen this classic you're a poser

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:42 pm 

Angel Cop is a "classic" in the same way that Yor: Hunter from the Future is a "classic."

A classic bag of hot garbage that has been forgotten for good reason.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:11 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
So your assignments are:
- Gantz manga
- Rurouni Kenshin TV series
- Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen OVA

Will do. I myself would recommend people check out the Gantz and Rurouni Kenshin live-action movies if you've not seen them, although perhaps purists would disagree. If nothing else, the production values for all were nothing short of stunning. Gantz had some of the best CGI I've ever seen for a non-American movie, and RK had sword fights that could go toe-to-toe with the very best from China, with nearly no wirework and zero CGI blood/effects, just pure skill.

RK trilogy felt like a real-life portrayal of Nioh. Hope Morrigan checks it out.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:04 am 

Been wanting to see Hokuto No Ken for the longest time, and I feel like it’s time I rewatched the Classic Berserk

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:57 pm 

Anyone seen the old OVA series Bastard!! from 1992? It's decent - pretty generic fantasy shit overall, not too dark or gory, the story is basically your typical power metal lyrics. It's pretty fun though, some decent animation and has a very nice "old school" charm about it.

...the only reason I'm bringing it up is because one of the characters is called King Di-Amon and he looks like this:

Needless to say, a pretty cool little reference! :hail: Also worth noting is that the main character's dubbed voice is none other than Daran Norris, mostly known as the voice of Timmy Turner's dad on The Fairly Oddparents. Needless to say I had an absolute blast hearing that voice recite such ridiculous dialog!

DxMxGxD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42 am 

insanewayne253 wrote:
Watching Macross Plus OVA for the first time in like 15 years. It still holds up.

the reloading animation at the start is so lit

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:01 am 

I saw recently evangelism plus the end of evangelism. I loved the final two episodes. I don't know why people bash them. I got the meaning of life from there: keep your on identity and be yourself. Amazing anime.

I also saw the 1st season of Kakegurui on Netflix. I like how wooden relationships are due gamble and Mazami or whatever is a cool protagonist. How can you get turned on by playing cards though?

I'm definently watching the 2nd season.

DxMxGxD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:33 am 

glad i held off buying the australian blu ray. the discotek release will be the definitive version for sure

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:24 am 

I am really enjoying Death Note quite a bit. Someone recommended Full Metal Alchemist to me, but I really don't like the style that the cartoons are drawn in. I don't know much about anime, but really want to watch more horror type anime. Does anyone have any other horror anime they can recommend to me?

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:03 am 

For horror i liked the first season of Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and Kiseiju.
I still have to see it but i'm told that Perfect Blue it's really great, i hope to catch up soon.

Madoka Magica is a must see, and even if it's not exactly an horror it gets really really dark. Promised Neverland was a short but really nice watch, has few horror elements and each episode has you on the edge of the seat

Other than that i've searched for years for good horror stuff in anime but i always ended up really disappointed. I found what i was looking for in manga (mainly Junji Ito's works, i suggest Shiver) and visual novels (for example Saya no Uta, one of the most fucked up thing i've seen)

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:22 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
For horror i liked the first season of Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and Kiseiju.
I still have to see it but i'm told that Perfect Blue it's really great, i hope to catch up soon.

Higurashi is amazing! Great adaptation of a great VN series. Some it's scenes are very unsettling. One of the few anime series that is actually scary. Other scary ones include Corpse Party, Shiki and Another. There is also a new Higurashi series coming this summer I think. Possibly a remake with animation that I don't really like. Perfect Blue is very surreal and a valuable work of art as well with an unexpected twist. I read you're also into Junji Ito. There is an Uzumaki TV series coming in summer. Have you heard about it? If yes what's your opinion on it?

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:38 pm 

Shiki is another great suggestion, i liked it a lot!

With junji Ito i'm very wary about animations: i saw Junji Ito Collection and it was disappointing, the animations were awkward and made the story lose a lot of the creepyness. It's really hard to replicate the level of details that Ito puts in his drawings and to build up tension like he does... I'll watch the new Uzumaki adaptation, but i'm not optimistic. If they manage to do well it will be a masterpiece

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:44 pm 

Every time I watch a movie or introduce one which my kids might like, I keep thinking about a specific one, but I can't remember the name of it.

Synopsis: there's some kind of half man, half machine, super computer, controlling a hi-tech skyscraper, or maybe it's just a building where scientific studies are carried out. And, this machine is trying to kill the people who are occupying the building.

Any idea what it's called? Cheers in advance.

simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:30 am 

I'm starting with "Angel Heart" since I'm a huge City Hunter fan and that should be an interesting series to follow. It's an alternate story to the original series.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:02 am 

So for awhile now I've really wanted to watch Monster (2004) - I was honestly just dying to see it due to it's seriously cool premise, but due to copyright shit it's not on any of the sites I used and DVD's cost literal hundreds of dollars at least. I don't pirate or use sketchy websites so that pretty much killed it for me. Then...about a week ago I discovered that some motherfucker had just uploaded the entire goddamn motherfuckin' thing (all 74 episodes) onto youtube so yeah, I spent the last week busting through that and all I can say is FUCK. It's truly a masterpiece, one of the best I've ever seen and it completely justifies it's insane length, with such an insanely convoluted and intricate story even one less episode could've ruined it. A solid 10/10 without equal.

After that I watched Erased (2016) and jesus fucking christ it sucked. I actually didn't mind it's first 9 episodes...I thought it was silly and pretty dumb at times but overall enjoyable and fun. But once the "villain" is revealed in a way so lame and obvious it puts Scooby Doo to shame, the show takes a nosedive and ends with this completely toothless, lame, empty, and just utterly pathetic - not to mention rushed - abomination of an ending which ruins the whole experience. That rooftop scene especially is just so...lame :lol:. Anti-climactic doesn't even begin to describe it.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:07 am 

true_death wrote:
So for awhile now I've really wanted to watch Monster (2004) - I was honestly just dying to see it due to it's seriously cool premise, but due to copyright shit it's not on any of the sites I used and DVD's cost literal hundreds of dollars at least. I don't pirate or use sketchy websites so that pretty much killed it for me. Then...about a week ago I discovered that some motherfucker had just uploaded the entire goddamn motherfuckin' thing (all 74 episodes) onto youtube so yeah, I spent the last week busting through that and all I can say is FUCK. It's truly a masterpiece, one of the best I've ever seen and it completely justifies it's insane length, with such an insanely convoluted and intricate story even one less episode could've ruined it. A solid 10/10 without equal.

After that I watched Erased (2016) and jesus fucking christ it sucked. I actually didn't mind it's first 9 episodes...I thought it was silly and pretty dumb at times but overall enjoyable and fun. But once the "villain" is revealed in a way so lame and obvious it puts Scooby Doo to shame, the show takes a nosedive and ends with this completely toothless, lame, empty, and just utterly pathetic - not to mention rushed - abomination of an ending which ruins the whole experience. That rooftop scene especially is just so...lame :lol:. Anti-climactic doesn't even begin to describe it.

You've nailed my thoughts exactly on both series--Monster is a goddamn masterpiece and rightfully deserves its status as one of the anime community's critical darlings, and Erased is a brain-dead show with some good ideas and good production value completely tanked by horrendous execution in its story and characters.

DxMxGxD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:46 am 

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:13 am 

Glenn Danzig is an insufferable piece of shit.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jorkzar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:19 pm 

nightbreaker33 wrote:
I saw recently evangelism plus the end of evangelism. I loved the final two episodes. I don't know why people bash them. I got the meaning of life from there: keep your on identity and be yourself. Amazing anime.

my man. been planing to rewatch it. my favourite anime besides the original 97 Berserk.

simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:38 am 

Any City Hunter fans?

Been watching Angel Heart, it is an alternate story to City Hunter. I don't want to say much but this series has a lot heart-wrenching moments. Saeba Ryo is still one of the coolest main characters in Anime history.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:28 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
I've undoubtedly mentioned this before, but the ending to Hunter x Hunter's Ant-arc is absolutely transcendent. It resonates with me so strongly that I immediately dropped the series after, and it never fails to leave me a weepy mess.

Spoiler: show
The way shonen tropes are flipped on their heads is also amazing. The initially monstrous "antagonist" Meruem throwing everything away to die with the one person he loves vs the heroic "protagonist" Gon throwing away everything for revenge.

The series is genius, and that arc in particular is an excellent deconstruction of the genre. What makes it such a great deconstruction is that it's so sincere. The author clearly loves the genre deeply, and isn't deconstructing it because to mock it or undermine it. It's still shounen, and the series is creatively affirmative of its own genre.

The execution of the anime arc left a little something to be desired. The pacing was absolutely glacial. Characters and events were overdramatised to the point that it was almost impossible to know what was even important anymore. I couldn't bring myself to care about some of the new characters that the series desperately wanted me to care about.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:23 am 

I never finished the Chimera arc in Hunter X Hunter.

It became too long winded and I couldn't do it anymore. It felt like it went on for an eternity. Unlike the one before it where they were all on an island basically playing Magic The Gathering. I love Gon and Killua, but I also really liked Kurapika and Leorio. What in the world happened to them?

Also, since the whole series isn't on any of the streaming services I was watching it on my phone off some bootleg website, but I'd much rather watch through something more reliable. Where are you guys watching it?

I want to get back into the show, I just don't know if I can do the whole chimera arc again. It was blistering agony.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Denpafighter978VGCP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:21 pm 

i haven't watched anime in a while exactly but nowadays because of my lack of interest in it i watch Fairy Tail when i go to bed. though when i did watch anime my favorites where One Piece, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Naruto, Highschool DXD, JoJo, and Rosario + Vampire. i hope i can find the motivation to watch anime again though, there are some i do plan on watching.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next