Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:19 am 

I'm not very good at following world news, so I found out about this with peripheral posts, like a photoshopped version of Metallica's Justice cover, and a british tabloid piece about how he worked security at the same club with the officer seen kneeling on his neck(!)... then I googled him and saw the rioting, Trump responses, etc. :/ made me sad :(

the metallica, for anyone curious:
Spoiler: show

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:28 am 

I feel like I should be smart enough to know that violent mobs can't solve anything, but fuck it.

That video elicited some pretty passionate anger from me. I have frustration in aspects of my life, so I can somewhat relate to what people are feeling in all of this. I can't even imagine the frustration I would feel at seeing this if I was a black man.

All the words we hear every time a black man is massacred on video are how we should react as evolved humans. "This will not happen again". "We will make changes".

It's all bullshit. These people are being heard now. Murdering George Floyd is now illegal in this country and I feel that is a direct result of these riots.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:41 am 

Well I am black and this has gone on waaaaaay long enough. It feels like we're closing a circle that began 28 years ago (Rodney King! If you know, you know) post-civil rights movement and yet in that span of time hardly any real progress has been made. The police continue to get away with murder.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:54 am 

If the roles were reversed and George Floyd choked that cop to death, he'd already be in jail and fast-tracked for murder trial for a life sentence.

On top of that, heavily armed far-right protesters would now be storming the Minnesota capitol building calling for the death penalty to be reintroduced, and President Trump would devote a minimum of five tweets to praising these fine young people standing up for their rights.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:03 am 

CNN reporter Omar Jimenez and his team, while reporting live on-air, were arrested without reason. Trump has threatened to deploy the National Guard with orders to shoot, which was revoked by Twitter on the grounds of inciting violence.

The cop whose knee murdered George Floyd has been seen front row at Trump rallies. He has pictures on Facebook wearing a "MAKE WHITES GREAT AGAIN" hat. He has a history of excessive force violations and suits, including being removed from a precinct over it.

George Floyd did not resist. There is video evidence of his peaceful cooperation while being placed under arrest for suspicion - SUSPICION - of check forgery.

Minneapolis deserves everything that happens to it.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:21 am 

nah, cities do not deserve riots... they devastate cities, and change nothing... and it's usually those who do not share any complicity that suffer from them... :/ there should be a better way.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:46 am 

aloof wrote:
nah, cities do not deserve riots... they devastate cities, and change nothing... and it's usually those who do not share any complicity that suffer from them... :/ there should be a better way.

There could be if the system would arrest the cops responsible, lock them up for the rest of their lives and change the entire way policing is done in this country, but that won't happen by normal civil means at all. This is all that's left.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:57 am 

Yeah, this is probably the worst of these cases I’ve seen. Mr Floyd didn’t run, didn’t attack anyone, and wasn’t holding anything that could even remotely be mistaken for a weapon. Plus the officer most directly involved* has a long-ass history of abusive and violent incidents, with scant punishment.

* I say “most directly involved” because there were three other officers on the scene, and none of them objected to their partner choking a guy dead on the ground, of offered to help apprehend him in a non-murderous fashion. The other three should be charged as accessory to murder imo.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:58 am 

"Cities do not deserve riots"

If the city is complicit in the oppression of its people? Yes. Yes it fucking does.

TW: Literally a man being shot in the leg, not far from the femoral artery, for exercising his Constitutional right
https://twitter.com/iamsymm/status/1266035109230194689

darkeningday wrote:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:01 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
The other three should be charged as accessory to murder imo.

The entire department should be charged in any civilian deaths that spring up as a result.

darkeningday wrote:

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:01 pm 

It's absolutely crazy that US police can / do just murder people in the street like that, absolutely nuts. Not as if they were trying to handle some violent headcase with a sword or whatever - they were picking the man up for a financial crime !

aloof wrote:

That's the sad thing - the burning, looting, general mayhem - and now soldiers on the streets, this will deflect attention from the real issue quickly enough.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:10 pm 

Methuen wrote:
aloof wrote:

That's the sad thing - the burning, looting, general mayhem - and now soldiers on the streets, this will deflect attention from the real issue quickly enough.

The thing is, the real issue would've been distracted from without the rioting even faster because a large portion of this country is a bunch of racist morons. The system doesn't work. A lot of people, even more than the racist portion, have been browbeaten and cowed into just accepting stuff the way it is. It would've been swept under the rug.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:18 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
The cop whose knee murdered George Floyd has been seen front row at Trump rallies. He has pictures on Facebook wearing a "MAKE WHITES GREAT AGAIN" hat.

I'm not sure about the Trump rallies but Snopes debunked the hat. This is an issue that extends well beyond individual cops who are cognizant of their racism, don't reduce it so simply as many actually aren't.

Otherwise your post was spot on.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:29 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
"Cities do not deserve riots"

If the city is complicit in the oppression of its people? Yes. Yes it fucking does.

TW: Literally a man being shot in the leg, not far from the femoral artery, for exercising his Constitutional right
https://twitter.com/iamsymm/status/1266035109230194689

Period. I'll never understand people who say that rioting and violence doesn't affect change. Yes it does? It's the only option we're left with. The endless mounting pile of dead people of color at the hands of the police doesn't get as much attention as trashing a fucking Target. People will continue to riot.

I'm in Louisville KY and our police department shot 7 people last night who were participating in protests over a local wrongful death at the hands of police. I feel guilty that I was safe at home, in bed when it happened. I feel guilty every moment I'm not setting a cop car on fire, to be honest with you.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:04 pm 

I've been seeing a lot of people online try compare the rioting in Minneapolis with Floyd's murder, specifically the looting and property destruction. Some have even said it's worse than Floyd's murder. Those people I feel are TOTALLY full of shit. This country prioritizes commodities and the well being of businesses over the well being of humans and their own personal safety. Destroying everything is a legitimate form of protest against a system that does such a thing. Insurance money will rebuild Minneapolis. Nothing will un-murder George Floyd.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:09 pm 

I agree with aloof that riots are bad, however I cannot and do not blame the people for rioting. This shit has been going on for so many decades and nothing ever changed, no voting ever changed it, no peaceful vigils, no letter writing campaigns, no nothing, so what option do they have left? I'm absolutely not a fan of riots at all, but people have exhausted all peaceful options a long time ago and nothing was ever done to improve anything, they're literally on the last resort there.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:45 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
CNN reporter Omar Jimenez and his team, while reporting live on-air, were arrested without reason. Trump has threatened to deploy the National Guard with orders to shoot, which was revoked by Twitter on the grounds of inciting violence..

If you didnt realise that was staged, you are a fool. They let him finish his script before the "arrest".

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:53 pm 

And that is the cue to completely ignore everything else that Musick says the rest of the thread.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:07 pm 

It's the umpteenth case of the umpteenth cop treating the umpteenth black dude in a way they would never treat a white person like me. This is actually starting to piss me off. For me, I was more empathetic and in solidarity with the frustration, not actually angry, towards the problems that were facing black people when it came to how the police treat them. But I'm pretty fucking angry after this whole thing. We just continue to go around in circles over the same shit. It's:

1) Cops/people commit hate crimes against black people
    2) People get upset
    3)People protest, a few riot
    4) National guard gets sent in
    5) Counter protests start about how "blue lives matter" and how these rioters are "thugs"
    6) People forget, no one forgives, and everyone goes on in life.
    7) Repeat 1

But this time there's more. Notice how when people have an actually legitimate reason to protest, they're met with tear gas and rubber bullets? But when a bunch of loser rednecks armed to the teeth invade government buildings in Michigan because they think COVID19 is a hoax almost no one bats an eye.

Trump tweeted to "liberate Minnesota" during COVID19 protests, a protest which was directly correlated to an increase of infections because a lot of people weren't wearing masks to them. The effect of "reopening" would- theoretically- allow business to "normalize" again, and create a resumption of economic activity. In reality, it would endanger the lives of hundreds of thousands of Americans by exponentially increasing the number of infections. Now he's calling in the national guard to disarm the George Floyd protesters because they burnt down a few stores and looted them.

That's not to say the entirety of the looting and is good. My parents lived in LA during the LA riots when my mom was preggo with me. The first day of rioting was justified, but it quickly morphed into random looting and burning down local mom and pop shops (even black people's businesses). A lot of people just end up exploiting these moments rather than actually caring about the overall message.

Nevertheless, the law, the cops, the people in the anti riot gear shooting tear gas and rubber bullets, are suppose to protect human beings and businesses. They've become completely accustom to protecting businesses and not people. They don't give a fuck about people.

Last edited by Unorthodox on Fri May 29, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:14 pm 

Derek Chauvin, the officer who killed Floyd, was just arrested and taken into custody.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:22 pm 

Subrick wrote:
And that is the cue to completely ignore everything else that Musick says the rest of the thread.

Guess you are a fool as well:

MSNBC: "I want to be clear on how I characterize this. This is mostly a protest. It is not generally speaking unruly."
The guy is literally standing in front of a burning building in the middle of a riot.
https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/status/1 ... 2458629120

and from long ago:

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

Last edited by BastardHead on Fri May 29, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know what? Musick has a long history of hijacking social justice discussions to muddy the waters and disingenuously concern-troll with tinfoil chewing nonsense about THE LIBS so fuck it go away.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:01 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
Derek Chauvin, the officer who killed Floyd, was just arrested and taken into custody.

"violence doesn't solve anything", "rioting isn't the answer", "don't destroy your own city"

And yet, setting the police station on fire proved effective. Hmm, a real thinker. I guess the death penalty is too much to hope for officer Chauvin.

(Thank you BastardHead, thank you so much, from all of us)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:03 pm 

My posts have gotten two legendary doofuses nuked in the last two days. I'm on a roll, I guess. :P

As for Chauvin's arrest, he's being charged with murder 3 and manslaughter. Let's see if those charges stick.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:45 pm 

I'm sympathetic towards the rioters because rioting seems like the only option left, but you can do that without destroying completely unrelated stores and properties. The problem lies with the police force and governing bodies, target their places if it comes to riots. I have no problem with people setting the police station on fire, but indiscriminate destruction will only hurt your cause - and so does looting.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:55 pm 

The American police definitely has a problem with violence and racism. I saw the video of Floyd's "arrest" and I feel nothing but disgust and horror. Imagine the terror of just slowly dying with a knee on your neck. Sometimes when I see footage from American police actions I can sort of see how the police would be afraid of the suspect having a gun or something, but in this case it's undeniable abuse, and they should be tried in a court of law.

I don't agree with people looting and rioting, obviously, but I also understand where the anger comes from.

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:11 pm 

... And now one of Trump's tweets has been censored for inciting violence. Specifically, he wrote "when the looting starts, the shooting starts", basically saying that rioters will be shot. Funny how there's no mention of "very fine people on both sides" now.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:25 pm 

And then the White House tweeted it out lmao.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:34 pm 

So, here's the thing about Trump warning protesters that they can be shot: there's actually a bit of right-wing militia types who are on their side now.

Right-wing militia types, the ones who proudly waved MAGA flags and hats and all that shit? They see it not as a racial issue, necessarily, but as an instance of government overstepping its bounds. They voted Trump in as a middle finger to the Federalists, to Killary and the other DC elite, to the perceived NWO that was encroaching upon more and more of their freedoms. They have ideology that, while extremely twisted and diametrically opposed to most leftist ideals, is adhered to, whether the group is racially motivated or not.

This is how OKC happened. How the Atlanta Olympics bombing happened. Nutjobs saw Ruby Ridge and Waco and wanted to strike back.

Imagine what would happen if the National Guard was deployed and, at Trump's insistence, opened fire on people - men, women, children, black, white, latino, native, etc. - indiscriminately.

darkeningday wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:03 pm 

I was going to say that I think that Trump order the military to fire on citizens would be the moment that the military tells him to fuck off, but then I remembered that Kent State happened and the military will TOTALLY go along with what Trump says if he orders it to happen.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:25 pm 

I can only echo other posts about how rioting accomplishes nothing. None of the rioters have ever owned a business, otherwise they would cringe at the hell they are putting the store owners through. I do not advocate violence against .... anything but I guess I could understand wanting violence against a business that had personally wronged you, however that is not the case. I guess the rioters also do not realize that in subsequent decade they will be dragged over the coals in increased taxes and regulations because of the damages.

Of course the real issue here is not really the rioting but the cause behind these riots. I am sure the media will obsess over the details of the murder instead of what is really at the crux of the issue, the lack of even indictments against those who are already abusing the subjugated part of society. This lack of even indictments, let alone convictions, has allowed this subjugation to evolve into outright murder.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:43 pm 

This entire video encapsulates why violent protest, or rioting, in some sort of way, has become somewhat justified in my view. Every time it's "black lives matter", the racists and race realists come back with some asinine bullshit like "blue lives matter" or "all lives matter". Every time an athlete is kneeling, or wearing an "I can't breath" shirt at a professional sporting event, all the racists and race realists stand up and say "fuck the nfl, the nba, these unpatriotic americans, how dare they?!!".

If you've tried everything else, what else will make people listen?

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:58 pm 

There is nothing irrational about a riot that spurns after hundreds of years of systemic racism and oppression coming to a boil. We live in insane times, so to request sane reactions is the insane option. Burn it all.

darkeningday wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:07 pm 

They never will listen, because their brains are deliberately rendering anything other than total silence as incomprehensible. In the mind of a racist, the "inferior" race is affronting them simply by existing, and any action on the part of that "inferior" to make himself or herself known cannot and will not be tolerated, for it reminds them that those "inferior" people exist. Nothing will ever be good enough for them because their minds are specifically wired in a way where nothing can possibly ever be good enough for them, aside from the "inferiors" being dead.

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:25 pm 

Agree with the sentiment that there is no other option for people to respond besides rioting. Can't blame the rioters for what they did, its more than clear that people have rightly had enough of this fucking bullshit. Might be an animalistic response, but I was honestly happy to watch the police station burn down.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:45 pm 

So there's a protest happening in Atlanta right now, and it turned violent and riotous the moment the cops showed up. They made it to the CNN Center and started dismantling the outside of the building.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/george ... 11a287482e

Also, at a protest in Louisville, Kentucky, a news crew got fired at with pepper bullets by the police.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/george ... ca7c22a14e

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:09 pm 

Came here to post the footage from Louisville, thanks Subrick.

I thought I couldn't be shocked but this tore me to pieces all over again. It's so methodical and purposeful. The fiancé and I made a semi-realistic plan to be living in another country within 15 years. It's a long time but it's the only thing giving me hope right now.

Oh and word up to everyone being honest here that they value property and objects more than human lives. Appreciate you revealing yourself so candidly.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:50 pm 

There's a protest happening in Providence tomorrow that my wife and I are gonna be at. Obviously Facebook event pages aren't the be all end all of potential attendance, but between goings and maybes there are over 2000s respondents for this rally.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:14 am 

Godspeed, protesters. :hail:

Oh and anyone clutching at their pearls over looting or whatever... Trevor Noah put it really nicely in his part 2 (though both videos are worth watching):

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status ... 4624631809

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:42 am 

Subrick wrote:
There's a protest happening in Providence tomorrow that my wife and I are gonna be at. Obviously Facebook event pages aren't the be all end all of potential attendance, but between goings and maybes there are over 2000s respondents for this rally.

Be safe. Bring baby shampoo mixed with water just in case tear gas gets used, it'll help flush you out better. Wear a mask. RI police tend to be more confrontational than Mass ones, but there's also considerably less per capita.

darkeningday wrote:

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:04 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Oh and word up to everyone being honest here that they value property and objects more than human lives. Appreciate you revealing yourself so candidly.
Cannot speak for anyone else but since I added my two cents and mentioned the rioting and looting as a bad thing, I am going to take this post as directed towards mine.

Even if it is not though, do not act like mentioning how counter productive vandalizing is could ever be that property and objects are more valuable than human lives. It is counter productive to both the point of police corruption and will inevitably hurt them once all the fires cease burning. Of course all of those human lives who depend on those jobs functioning are going to be screwed, just what a subjugated population needs, further unemployment and disgusting living arrangements. I guess the mere mentioning of this means I am clutching pearls when in fact it deals more directly with a care for human lives than standing up and saying, "What happened was wrong."

Of course the despicable actions of the police are dreadful but the devastation being done is doing no one any favors here, except for the ones who committing the crimes to begin with. It might seem intuitive to think that damaging ones own belongings is a good way to 'get back at the man' but in reality it is just STUPID.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next