Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:34 am 

once again inspired by a discogs article... https://blog.discogs.com/en/iron-maiden ... -world-20/

were you a fan already? was this the first IM album you heard? was this the first metal album you heard? was this the first album IM released while you were an IM/metal fan? have you read any aldous huxley? does the cover remind you of the dementors over london in harry potter? "funny" to think that Bruce's second stint in IM is now almost twice as long as the first one...

let's try to keep this thread specific to the album :) the first one to mention di anno or bailey has to stand in the corner with the cone hat on :p

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:40 am 

From my experience, a lot of folks in the millennial age demographic tend to cite BNW as their first Maiden album and that's certainly true for me. I remember my younger brother had a copy of it for some reason, even though he wasn't into metal at all, and I just knicked it off him before venturing into the rest of their discography. It is definitely one of my favorites from them and I went into a lot more detail on the review that I just published for the anniversary.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:43 am 

Brave New World is pretty much the definition of a solid album to me. A smattering of classic tracks interwoven with some less than stellar, yet totally decent rockers. And the album cover does rule.

The album that got me into Maiden was actually Dance of Death, so I'll always prefer that to this one. But as a one two punch, both albums would've been a great way to end the band. A perfectly respectable last couple of gasps. Everything since has bored me to tears.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:48 am 

This is the best Iron Maiden album imho. Every song is great and it has no filler songs like some of their more classic albums have.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:52 am 

There are a lot of great tunes on this one but also some really lame ones like the title song and "Blood Brothers" that just drag it down for me. I never liked it as much as their newest couple of albums really. And the whole thing never flowed as well as an album for me, compared to their last few which seem like whole experiences. But "Dream Of Mirrors" and "Ghost Of The Navigator" are classic stuff.

Last edited by Empyreal on Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:52 am 

I got into Iron Maiden (and metal) around 2007-2008. The first song I heard (downloaded on limewire :lol:) was Dance of Death, and I believe the album that shares it name was the first CD I bought from Maiden. A Matter of Life and Death was their newest then, I remember getting that one early, but then I went to the beginning and started using all the money from my part-time job to buy their whole catalog chronologically.

The point is, I got to Brave New World relatively late in my Maiden romance. So it didn't blow me away, but was a breath of fresh air after Virtual XI. I still remember the first time I heard the intro and buildup to "Ghost of the Navigator". So epic.

It's interesting to think that it in some way was a new beginning, but also a sort of conclusion. I don't think any of the albums that have followed in the two decades have been as good. They've had individual songs that are amazing, but not as good as whole albums.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:56 am 

This was the first IM album released in time after I got more interested in traditional heavy metal. There was a metal radio show where they aired their live concert. They played some songs from BNW, and it sounded all good. Can't remember if I had bought Powerslave (my first Maiden) already at that stage. I heard BNW in its entirety in my friend's car. He liked the song Blood Brothers a little bit too much, haha. I apparently went and bought a copy some time later.

It's still a great album. You always find new favourites when you listen it.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:08 am 

This was one of the first Maiden albums that really hooked me, and the only one that competes with the classic era with Bruce. It's odd that it's as good as it is because it has many of the flaws that have dominated their music since The X Factor, but every song is so ridiculously catchy that they don't seem to matter.

Over the years my favourite tracks have changed, but these days I find The Thin Line Between Love and Hate to be the best.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:12 am 

Empyreal wrote:
There are a lot of great tunes on this one but also some really lame ones like the title song

Wow, I couldn't possibly disagree with this more. The title track is what hooked me on them in the first place. Bruce's voice and melodies really sold me, and Nicko's playing and the sound of his kit confirmed it. A friend sent me an MP3 of it, I then not long after purchased the CD and then the 2-disc Best of the Beast compilation and became a huge fan of theirs for a little bit. I haven't been as into them in the past decade so much, so I still fondly recall that period.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:17 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
There are a lot of great tunes on this one but also some really lame ones like the title song

Wow, I couldn't possibly disagree with this more. The title track is what hooked me on them in the first place. Bruce's voice and melodies really sold me, and Nicko's playing and the sound of his kit confirmed it. A friend sent me an MP3 of it, I then not long after purchased the CD and then the 2-disc Best of the Beast compilation and became a huge fan of theirs for a little bit. I haven't been as into them in the past decade so much, so I still fondly recall that period.

I got into them through the old 80s material and never really was sold on their mid-period albums, barring specific songs, until I heard AMOLAD, which I bought when it came out. That was a bolder, more interesting sound for me, and I've enjoyed the ones since then too. It's not a popular opinion I guess, but BNW and DOD, while good, just sound too conservative for me to really get excited about playing the full albums much. They mastered what they were going for later on, to my ears.

Ludorff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:21 am 

It's funny how Maiden, a band that were considered "old" in 98-99, doesn't seem to have aged at all since Brave New World.
I started listening to Maiden in my early teens in 98 or 99, listening to classing 80s tracks. They just had the Best Of The Beast compilation CD released. These old classics were a thing of the past.
Brave New Word was very special at the time of it's release. The return of Dickinson, Smith, and the full-scale arena shows meant that it was now possible for kids to really see Iron Maiden. These old musicians were, maybe, not THAT old after all, judging by the way Dickinson runs and jumps everywhere on the stage.
They released that album at the perfect time. Metal was increasing in popularity. I think Maiden kind of led the way for other bands, showing how they can start the new decade by returning to their roots. I'm sure the BNW album have been influencial in the metal community. In my opinion it's one of their best albums ever, and the best since the return of Dickinson. The music have something special. It feels so inspired and cohesive. Some tracks are a bit weaker though. The album is not perfect, but very strong.
I like the following releases, but I think they try a bit too much now, especially with Final Frontier and Book Of Souls. They found themselves kind of stuck in a formula of jamming very long and epic tracks that start to sound the same to me, sadly. Brave New World kept things a bit shorter, more focused. The production sounded very good, too.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:44 am 

The lead single from this album, The Wicker Man, was the first song I ever heard by Maiden as well as being the first metal song that I have a clear memory of. I bought the CD single of the song and also the single for Out of the Silent Planet before I bought Brave New World. If I recall correctly, BNW was the second Maiden album I heard after No Prayer For The Dying followed by Powerslave and Number Of The Beast shortly afterwards.

BNW is an album that I've always really liked and I would certainly consider it the best record from the second Dickinson era. Ghost of the Navigator is one of my favourite Maiden songs and there's other cool stuff on there like Dream of Mirrors, the title track and Blood Brothers. I was lucky enough to see them at one of their benefit shows for Clive Burr in 2002 (my second concert!) and they played all those songs along with the usual classics. Still got the T-shirt from that show. I can't believe it's been 20 years already!

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:57 am 

I love this album. It's among the three or four Maiden albums that tend to rotate as my favourite. I really like the production and energy. Janick's solo in "Blood Brothers" is probably my favourite Maiden solo, and the 'I will hope, my soul will fly' chorus from "The Thin Line Between Love and Hate" is my Maiden favourite vocal line - both give me goosebumps every time.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:00 pm 

A good but not great record. Already we were seeing the excessive length take over, Dream of Mirrors has a great track in it but its way too bloated and I'm getting bored before its over. The Nomad needs some serious trimming as does Blood Brothers. Can get repetitive. I'd give it a solid 75%. Best of the reunion albums IMO.

The Fallen Angel is one of my favorite overlooked tracks. That one slams. I wish they wrote more tracks like that but its mostly long intros and outros these days.

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:01 pm 

I’d been into them for a few years before it came out, and actually resisted getting it initially because they were ‘old’. I smartened up and got it about a year after it came out. For whatever reason, even though I was already a fan, this is probably their most nostalgic album for me, and because of that I love it beyond reason, really.

Ghost of the Navigator and Dream of Mirrors are two of my all time favourites but I love pretty much everything on there.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:03 pm 

If this is what their classic stuff was like, I would never have been an IM fan.

It was just an excuse to get out and tour for the reunion cash-in. Very uninspired and by-the-numbers.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:05 pm 

It's a good album, I just always felt that 'Rock in Rio' is the definitive versions of the great songs from Brave New World - in the same way that 'Unleashed in the East' is the definitive version of those 70s Priest songs. 250,000 mad Brazilians singing along to everything really make those songs come alive - the slightly 'modern Maiden'-y production doesn't quite do the same job for me.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:18 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
If this is what their classic stuff was like, I would never have been an IM fan.

It was just an excuse to get out and tour for the reunion cash-in. Very uninspired and by-the-numbers.

I don't totally agree with that other than if this was what classic Maiden was like it would not have every attained the stature it has.

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:09 pm 

First real Iron Maiden album I bought, I had the "best of the beast" compilation prior and that was my only exposure to the band. Loved BNW and it made me appriciate their back catalog even more as I dove deeper into their 80s stuff...
Old-school black/thrash

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:05 pm 

were you a fan already?
Yes.
was this the first IM album you heard?
No. The first I heard in full was 'Killers'. I heard a few NotB songs before that (before I was into metal, though).
was this the first metal album you heard?
No. I had been a metalhead for 12 years when it was released.
was this the first album IM released while you were an IM/metal fan?
No. I was already a metal fan when No Prayer came out, but not into Maiden yet. I was both for FotD.
have you read any aldous huxley?
Nope. Is that an author whose work they based some lyrics on for that one?
does the cover remind you of the dementors over london in harry potter?
Really not.

In general, what can I say? It's a decent album with a few really good songs. It's the last Maiden album that I can still listen to in full without getting bored (even though it is way too long and repetitive compared to classic or even early 90s Maiden). It didn't live up to the hype of the Dickinson/Smith reunion with Maiden, as far as I'm concerned, and the three guitarists gimmick never ever panned out. It's better as a whole than the three albums before it, but they all have better highlights. It seems to have introduced a lot new fans to the band (or possibly even metal in general), which is mostly a good thing. However, just like the black album for Metallica, as such it seems to have acquired a different kind of hype or aura over the years (and decades, now!): younger fans for whom it was the entry point into the band are much more forgiving of its flaws, and many even get nostalgic enough to put it on or near the pedestal of the 80s classics as a result.

Recordcollector
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:46 pm 

Got all Maiden full-lenght vinyls in 89/90 (before I got a CD player). Bought the 2000 album on a picture disc. It was my first IM album since No Prayer. I also bought one of the singles on a picture disc. It's a OK album, but haven't heard it in a very long time. If I ever listen to IM now, it's always one of the first 4.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:49 pm 

A good album but not the best of the reunion era. DoD and AMOLAD are superior in songwriting, production and as overall works of art.

Also several songs on BNW (Blood Brothers, Dream Of Mirrors) were originally written for VXI which is amusing when you get people trashing VXI and worshipping BNW.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:53 pm 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
Also several songs on BNW (Blood Brothers, Dream Of Mirrors) were originally written for VXI which is amusing when you get people trashing VXI and worshipping BNW.

I do kinda find that double standard funny, especially as somebody who regularly goes to bat for the Blaze era. It would be easy to think that people only like those songs because Bruce and Adrian played on it, but I really do think their return gave the album a more rejuvenated spirit.

Also, for added fun, there's a video for Blaze covering Blood Brothers with one of his frequent collaborating guitarists providing acoustics. It's actually a nice rendition.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:28 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Spoiler: show

Wow, that was awesome, why didn't I know about this? I've been following Blaze's stuff for a few years now and I completely missed this one. And what a great player that guy is, at first I though there were a second guitar somewhere. Thanks for sharing

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:09 pm 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
A good album but not the best of the reunion era. DoD and AMOLAD are superior in songwriting, production and as overall works of art.

Yeah, those are two of the songs that need the most editing IMO. But honestly I think Bruce's vocals help and neither is on par with the horror show of tripe that is Angel and the Gambler. I don't understand how repeating the chorus 30 times in a song to draw things out is a good thing.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:24 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
Spoiler: show
were you a fan already?
Yes.
was this the first IM album you heard?
No. The first I heard in full was 'Killers'. I heard a few NotB songs before that (before I was into metal, though).
was this the first metal album you heard?
No. I had been a metalhead for 12 years when it was released.
was this the first album IM released while you were an IM/metal fan?
No. I was already a metal fan when No Prayer came out, but not into Maiden yet. I was both for FotD.
have you read any aldous huxley?
Nope. Is that an author whose work they based some lyrics on for that one?
does the cover remind you of the dementors over london in harry potter?
Really not.

lol, merci for doing this, even if taking it a bit too seriously :)

LegendMaker wrote:
Is that an author whose work they based some lyrics on for that one?

https://www.google.com/search?q=aldous+ ... +new+world :)

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:06 pm 

To me this was the reunion album. I was a fan since way back and still remember reading the news of Bruce leaving the band. Thankfully the 90s were over and Bruce was back where he belonged. It certainly sounded better than anything IM released in the 90s, back to the classic sound and it is only a step below the classic run of albums. I enjoyed Brave New World a lot, and that cover! Great artwork.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:23 pm 

A very overrated album. The songs just drag for too long and most are uninteresting anyways.

vk66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:41 pm 

My first IM album and I didn’t like it one bit. It was one of the rare moments when the video for “The Wicker Man” was played on Indian television. So it was definitely exciting.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:49 pm 

mostly dug it but thought the choruses were overly repetitive and it certainly wasn't as good as the two Dickinson solo albums before it. Still feel the same. They need a producer that gets his hands dirty and tells them when/how to cut their songs down to this day.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:08 am 

Love this album but some of the choruses are repeated a bit too much. The simple chorus in the title track is repeated far too much and gets a bit irritating imo. What a fantastic intro and outro on the song though, wish they incorporated the quiet parts more inot the song.

Always loved blood Brothers, never understand people listing it as one of their least favourites on here.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:39 am 

aloof wrote:
lol, merci for doing this, even if taking it a bit too seriously :)

Avec plaisir, friend! I actually had a lot of fun answering this as if it were a survey or interview. ^^

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:22 am 

I freaking love this album :)
Yes it was my first so maybe nostalgia plays in but it's my favorite album of all time.
I reflected over this when I listened through the entire album just yesterday.

Are there more interesting and well-written albums? Yeah, many Blind Guardian and Virgin Steele albums may have more interesting song writing going on.

BUT... I realized that a theoreical/technically supreme album doesn't need to determite what is favoite.

I love old punk/hardcore as well, and they aren't exactly progressive masterpieces. But I can still love it.

So I recognize that maybe Brave New World has a few too repetitious choruses, but I still love it

Me and a couple of others did this cover to celebrate Brave New World 20th birthday :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
Me on drums and bass

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:35 am 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
Are there more interesting and well-written albums? Yeah, many Blind Guardian and Virgin Steele albums may have more interesting song writing going on.

Among hundreds of other albums, for sure. What puzzles me is this though: there are quite a few Maiden albums with better and more interesting songwriting on them, as well (and much tighter arrangements, more intense performances, and in most cases, a better production as well). Or isn't that the case for you? I mean, do you actually enjoy BNW more than, say 'Piece of Mind'? And, beyond that (as of course taste and nostalgia can play a big part in your enjoyment, and that's absolutely fine), would you consider BNW a better album (I mean, as a musician and songwriter yourself, not just as a fan)?

You like what you like, I'm not trying to convince you or whatever. Just genuinely curious. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, you released songs that are better than any off of BNW ("Riding Wild", "Guardians of the Black Castle" or "Time is Gone" for instance).

Cool cover version, though. You guys had fun and it shows.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:06 am 

I heard it first in about 2004, I'd already listened to some Maiden albums before (was a fan already and I probably had 4 or 5 of their 80's albums before I purchased this one). I liked it quite a lot then, less now, especially it still has plenty of "Steve Harris post-1989" writing ideas ("'ere, that's a catchy chorus - let's repeat it 6000 times!"). There's definitely some good energy on this album and, unlike the other Kevin Shirley albums, I quite like the production. 'The Wicker Man', 'Ghost of Navigator', 'Blood Brothers' and 'Out of the Silent Planet' are all cool (although not without their flaws). But yeah, give me The Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth over this, any day.

I'm kind of interested in the role this album played in the return of traditional heavy metal. I reckon discussing that and other factors would be worthy of a thread of its own. :)

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:14 am 

This thread is proof that it doesn't really matter how good a comeback album actually is, a lot of people will just dismiss it and say it's "uninteresting" and "overrated" because it's not the classic era of the band. It can't be good! Everybody knows the best albums are the always the classic ones! They could have released the best album in their career and people will still complain they only did it so they could tour. We get it, it's not the 80s anymore and now it's a lot cooler to complain about how bad their albums got.

I think most of the time it's just nostalgia because the first 7 Iron Maiden albums are really not much better than the last 5. Those classic albums are just idolised because of their context and relevance. Don't get me wrong, I love them too but it could be argued that they had songs that were far too long, the choruses were extremely cheesy, most songs were repetitive and they had a lot of filler, etc. Which are the exact same arguments people use to dismiss the latest reincarnation of the band.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:30 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
Rocka_Rollas wrote:

Among hundreds of other albums, for sure. What puzzles me is this though: there are quite a few Maiden albums with better and more interesting songwriting on them, as well (and much tighter arrangements, more intense performances, and in most cases, a better production as well). Or isn't that the case for you? I mean, do you actually enjoy BNW more than, say 'Piece of Mind'? And, beyond that (as of course taste and nostalgia can play a big part in your enjoyment, and that's absolutely fine), would you consider BNW a better album (I mean, as a musician and songwriter yourself, not just as a fan)?

You like what you like, I'm not trying to convince you or whatever. Just genuinely curious. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, you released songs that are better than any off of BNW ("Riding Wild", "Guardians of the Black Castle" or "Time is Gone" for instance).

Cool cover version, though. You guys had fun and it shows.

Yes personally I really do enjoy Brave New World more than Piece Of Mind :) I cannot explain why. One thing I can sayfor sure its the best sounding IM album in my opinion. The production is aboslutely perfect for Maidens style.

Hahaha think that I would see those song titles pop up after these years :-D
Good songs, shitty production/performance. Might re-record them properly some beautiful day. :-D

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:25 am 

Didn't remember how good songs The Mercenary and Dream of Mirrors were. Dah, not even a month (or maybe a week) when I last listened BNW. Nomad is probably the weakest one here, and even that has quite a good quiet part in the middle.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:41 am 

Brave New World was the first Maiden album to be released during my fandom.
I got into Maiden in late '98 when I purchased The Best Of The Beast comp on CD. I found out about BNW from an ad in Metal Maniacs, and I immediately pre-ordered it. So, it was my first studio LP from Maiden. (although for some reason, I had a copy of Maiden Japan on vinyl. At the time I didn't have a record player. I had purchased it in a shop after seeing the cover and it only being $5).

All these years, and an entire discography later, I still consider it one of my favourite Maiden albums (if not my favourite of all time). I haven't liked anything they've done since. I was fortunate enough to see them on that tour. That was one of the most legendary bills of all time:
MOTORHEAD / DIO / IRON MAIDEN in 2003.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:58 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
This thread is proof that it doesn't really matter how good a comeback album actually is, a lot of people will just dismiss it and say it's "uninteresting" and "overrated" because it's not the classic era of the band. It can't be good! Everybody knows the best albums are the always the classic ones! They could have released the best album in their career and people will still complain they only did it so they could tour. We get it, it's not the 80s anymore and now it's a lot cooler to complain about how bad their albums got.

I think most of the time it's just nostalgia because the first 7 Iron Maiden albums are really not much better than the last 5. Those classic albums are just idolised because of their context and relevance. Don't get me wrong, I love them too but it could be argued that they had songs that were far too long, the choruses were extremely cheesy, most songs were repetitive and they had a lot of filler, etc. Which are the exact same arguments people use to dismiss the latest reincarnation of the band.

:lol: Pull the other one. The main argument I see, rightfully, in my opinion, thrown at latter day Maiden is that the songwriting is often lazy and formulaic in the extreme. It's almost like Harris said "Did you like 'Fear of the Dark's structure? I hope so, because you'll be hearing it 4 times (at minimum) an album for the next 30 years."

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next