Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:59 pm 

What are some of your favorite conspiracy theories? Even if they proved to be false, or completely outlandish.

The first is one of my favorites. It was a conspiracy theory that later turned out to be true. I was in the Navy myself and we were in some interesting parts of the world. I always wondered what the cryptos/intelligence people on the ship were doing.

The Gulf of Tonkin Incident

It actually involves two incidents, before the Vietnam War completely escalated. The false flag one involved a US Navy warship, that reported it had been attacked by North Vietnamese vessels. When in actuality no such attack occurred. It would be reported by high ranking officials that the vessel was attacked. It was also reported to the public the attack had occurred. It lead to an escalation into the war with North Vietnam.

For years it was believed a false flag incident had occurred. It wasn't until "sanitized" versions of documents were declassified, that the incident would come to light.

From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Tonkin_incident

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:40 pm 

If a Bayern Munich match is a draw after 90 minutes, there'll be 6-7 minutes of injury time added for no reason. If a Bayern Munich match is not in their favour, there will be a penalty for them for no real reason. In the draw for the DFB cup, somehow Bayern Munich always gets drawn against teams from the amateur or lowest tier professional league. In matches by top teams against Bayern Munich, some players of those top teams who are otherwise brilliant in every game will inexplicably play very poorly. When all else fails, the video referee will intervene on behalf of Bayern Munich.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:32 pm 

One that gives me the biggest laugh is the Phantom History Theory. It claims that almost the entire 7th, 8th and 9th centuries AD never happened! So the current year is about 1725, and nearly 300 years of what we thought was history, was total fiction pulled out of someone’s arse. This deception took place so that Holy Roman Emperor Otto III could have his reign coincident with the religiously important turn of the millennium. I suppose the Pope and maybe the Byzantine Emperor would also have been in on it, as the other major users of the Christian calendar.
Best thing about it, is that lack of evidence is cited as evidence! That is, supporters point to Europe’s Dark Ages society’s thoroughly half-assed record keeping, as proof that nothing actually happened.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:47 pm 

droneriot wrote:
If a Bayern Munich match is a draw after 90 minutes, there'll be 6-7 minutes of injury time added for no reason. If a Bayern Munich match is not in their favour, there will be a penalty for them for no real reason. In the draw for the DFB cup, somehow Bayern Munich always gets drawn against teams from the amateur or lowest tier professional league. In matches by top teams against Bayern Munich, some players of those top teams who are otherwise brilliant in every game will inexplicably play very poorly. When all else fails, the video referee will intervene on behalf of Bayern Munich.

Oohh, sporting conspiracies! I’ll play :) There was the Untimely Demise of the Hamilton Tigers in 1925. Four teams - Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa and the Montreal Canadiens - finished within 4 pts at the top of the standings, with Hamilton in first. The Tigers then went on strike, refusing to play their playoff series without additional pay. NHL President Calder then dissolved the franchise, and declared the winner of the Toronto-Canadiens series to be league champion.
The conspiracy theory is, that the other three teams* threw their remaining games in order to ensure that Hamilton would earn a playoff spot, and therefore be in a position to strike themselves out of the league. The purpose would be that the other teams could then sweep up the Tigers players as cheap free agents; as well as possibly the near-term purpose of skipping a playoff round and getting an easier route to the Stanley Cup. Of course, that backfired for Ottawa, who weren’t included in the playoffs at all. A conspiracy within a conspiracy!
* The other teams, Boston and the Montreal Maroons, didn’t have to throw their games. They just sucked.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:58 pm 

Ronald Reagan committed treason by conspiring with the Iranian embassy terrorists.

Oh wait, that one actually happened, and no one seems to care about it.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:37 pm 

Here’s one I’m very close to actually believing: There are some Canadian football fans who’d not-really-jokingly say that CFL, at least from the 1980s to 2000s, stood for Conspiracy Football League. That’s because, it is extremely rare for a pro sports league to see two dominant teams suffer such sudden, extreme and irrevocable collapses as the Ottawa Rough Riders and Montreal Alouettes did [i]at the same time[/b].
First, a little background. The 60s and 70s were the Golden Age of the CFL East Division, with three great teams locked in a sometimes-infuriatingly constant competitive balance. Ottawa always beat Hamilton, Hamilton always beat Montreal, and Montreal always beat Ottawa*. During those years, Ottawa was 5-1 in the Grey Cup, Montreal was 3-3 and Hamilton was 4-3.
Problem was, these were dark years for the Toronto Argonauts, and the CFL couldn’t be happy if its largest market had a crappy team that lost fans. So starting in the 1980s - and I mean, immediately in the 1980s, there was no normal gradual decline - the league either passively or actively allowed/enabled the total destruction of the Alouettes and Rough Riders; so that the hapless Argos could have a chance, generate some fan interest, and bring corporate money and media attentionto the sport through the country’s biggest city.
Financial trouble hit Montreal hard, and in contrast to other teams in the same boat like the BC Lions, the league never lifted a finger to help. As a result, the Als went bankrupt, ceased operations, and returned under new ownership three separate times in the decade, before finally going extinct in 1987. To balance the schedule, Winnipeg took Montreal’s place in the East, where they were never happy and rarely successful.
Meanwhile in Ottawa, the league also turned a blind eye to
- appalling negligence (the stadium collapse of 1988)
- bumbling incompetence (twice drafting the same player who had died)
- criminality (owners sexually assaulting cheerleaders)
- Horn “The Destroyer” Chen. This guy has owned 14 sports teams across four sports, and of those only two are still operating. Yet the CFL approved him to buy the Riders, and he never attended a game.
before the Riders finally disappeared in 1996... but wait! When the CFL returned to Ottawa in 2002, they actually let the Glieberman family come back as owners - the same guys who groped their employees a decade ago! Needless to say, fans were embarrassed and the Renegades sank into obscurity after only four years, never having a winning season.

*Side note: Growing up a Sens fan, I thought I hated the Toronto Maple Leafs. But my dad saw Montreal beat Ottawa in the CFL East Final in 1974, 75, 77, 78 and 79. Now that’s hating a team!

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:12 pm 

Most of your more famous conspiracy theories (JFK assassination, moon landing, etc) and rooted in the simple human inability to handle probabilities. To some, a Big Event must have a correspondingly Big Cause. Big Events cannot be caused by little things. Surely a presidential assassination cannot have been just some rando malcontent with a mail order rifle. No, it had to be a Big Thing. Then off you go.

More recent conspiracy theories are actually propaganda. 9/11, Newtown massacre, etc.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:59 pm 

I prefer the Italian term, which literally means "behindology." :-P

Anyway, I think my "favorite" conspiracy theory is the Octopus Theory, which partly touches on conspiracy facts in the BCCI affair. The Inslaw affair ("PROMISgate") is a close runner-up.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:35 pm 

Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:15 pm 

QAnon is just the Pizzagate extended universe.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:01 am 

I abide by the conspiracy theory that conspiracy theories (Or rather the most ridiculous ones) are perpetuated by authorities in order to shut down otherwise legitimate skepticism and discussion.

In terms of *actual* conspiracies, I've always found the Business Plot interesting. For those unfamiliar, the whole idea is that a group of high business executives were planning a coup in the early 30s to overthrow FDR and install a fascist dictatorship in the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:55 am 

Oblarg wrote:
Ronald Reagan committed treason by conspiring with the Iranian embassy terrorists.

Oh wait, that one actually happened, and no one seems to care about it.

Yeah, unfortunately my favorite conspiracy theories have also turned out to be true.

There's a little known government agency surreptitiously spying on everyone's phone calls and internet.
There's an elite pedophile ring involving the royal family and president.
All the rich people are cheating on their taxes.
The Iraq war was premised on a lie.
The voting machines are rigged.

At this point, it's more unrealistic to not believe there's more conspiracies going on.

BlackFlag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:03 am 

Mine was the Flat Earth Society with its ice wall ala Game of Thrones, but...

severzhavnost wrote:
One that gives me the biggest laugh is the Phantom History Theory. It claims that almost the entire 7th, 8th and 9th centuries AD never happened! So the current year is about 1725, and nearly 300 years of what we thought was history, was total fiction pulled out of someone’s arse. This deception took place so that Holy Roman Emperor Otto III could have his reign coincident with the religiously important turn of the millennium. I suppose the Pope and maybe the Byzantine Emperor would also have been in on it, as the other major users of the Christian calendar.
Best thing about it, is that lack of evidence is cited as evidence! That is, supporters point to Europe’s Dark Ages society’s thoroughly half-assed record keeping, as proof that nothing actually happened.

...this is hilarious! My new favorite!

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:29 am 

droneriot wrote:
If a Bayern Munich match is a draw after 90 minutes, there'll be 6-7 minutes of injury time added for no reason. If a Bayern Munich match is not in their favour, there will be a penalty for them for no real reason.

Also known as 'Fergie Time' at Manchester United - a famous 97th minute winner for Utd in the 1990s coined the term.

severzhavnost wrote:

Also my new favourite. Where did that one come from ? Sounds like something Paradox / Total War gamers would come up with after a long night on the energy drinks :lol:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:42 am 

Also of note is that the big games between Bayern Munich and other major teams, Bayern's home games were played before Corona with an audience in the back and the away games were played after Corona with no audience. Considering the point differences that's yet again another fraudulent and non-valid championship, like about twenty or so before that were only achieved by cheating and corruption.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:03 am 

Obviously the Coronavirus is a football league conspiracy - I've heard the same about Liverpool winning the premiership this year - "they only made it because they didn't have to deal with the pressure properly", and so on. Obviously ignoring their pre-virus results, but it's funny nonetheless.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:05 am 

Yeah bit of a different between Liverpool's 30 point lead and Bayern's two point lead.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:23 am 

There's the one that Hitler actually didn't die in his bunker and escaped to Argentina where he died in the 60's.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:21 am 

Kurt Cobain is alive and he is howtobasic.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:07 pm 

Speaking of that was another favorite, Jim Morrison faked own death. A second note to that one was that he didn't fake his death, but he actually OD'ed in the early in a Paris nightclub. Two men then moved his body back to his apartment.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:29 am 

severzhavnost wrote:

I love this. Charlemagne never existed!.

Of course, it completely ignores the well documented timeline of events in the East, but never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:39 am 

Might sound like a total ass hole here, but I'm not a big conspiracy theory person as I find musing about various 'what if' scenarios a big jackoff-fest often done by insecure people (typically uneducated but smart enough to ask questions) to feel like they have some "dirt" on a situation no one else does.

That said, this Ghislaine Maxwell situation is certainly bringing out the conspiracy theories like a flooded sewer ditch. Are there higher ups trying to cover shit up? Was Epstein killed or did he commit suicide? Is Maxwell next? What about Bill Clinton? What's with this pic with Kevin Spacey and Maxwell at Buckingham Palace? Seriously- the fucks up with that? Weird that three of the accusers against Spacey are dead, eh? Eh? Eh?! I guess the one conspiracy theory I can buy is that Epstein probably didn't kill himself. But that makes me even more irate when I see some shitty YouTube comment saying "Epstein didn't kill himself!!!" as if that's some profound observation.

Substantia_Nigrae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:54 am 

No.1 - The Jews are to blame, for literally everything, past present and future.
No.2 - Earth is flat. Oh boy, and to think I share the same (spherical) earth with this happy bunch. (oh wait, maybe the conspiracy theory is actually that the earth is round, NASA not disclosing that earth is, in truth, flat)

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 am 

Epstein was so rich and so powerful that until the MeToo Movement rape was legal for him.

I don't think we'll ever hear an end to the conspiracy theories about him.

Unless, Ghislane unloads a whole dumpster truck about him and his boys. But, she says she's innocent and had no idea any of this was going on. That poor woman. I don't know why all these victims are making up all these stories about her to discredit her \s.

If Epstein is alive there's no way we'll ever hear from him again. I can't remember a time when someone was pronounced dead and then was proven to actually be living on some resort for billionaires, or whatever.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:57 am 

Substantia_Nigrae wrote:
No.1 - The Jews are to blame, for literally everything, past present and future.
No.2 - Earth is flat. Oh boy, and to think I share the same (spherical) earth with this happy bunch. (oh wait, maybe the conspiracy theory is actually that the earth is round, NASA not disclosing that earth is, in truth, flat)

I really don't understand why there's a segment of people that get so upset about Jewish people and blame everything on them.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Substantia_Nigrae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:08 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Substantia_Nigrae wrote:

I really don't understand why there's a segment of people that get so upset about Jewish people and blame everything on them.

Well, this would have to go into the 'unsolved mysteries' thread...

Avocat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:45 pm 

I'm always amused by people trying to rationalize the wackier conspiracy theories like Chemtrails and Flat Earth. If only they could channel that dedication into something actually creative or worthwhile.

What kind of mindset do you have to be in to fall for this stuff ?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:41 am 

Avocat wrote:
What kind of mindset do you have to be in to fall for this stuff ?

Chemtrails is usually connected with paranoid schizophrenia (same with 5G and pretty much everything else under the "clandestine mind control" umbrella), Flat Earth usually with religious obsession.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:16 am 

It's always sad to read how people think they are controlled by random stuff (chem-trails, 5G) instead of the stuff that's actually controlling them: the mass media, big corporations/publicity stunts, your aunt Karen sending you racist hoaxes she found on social media, etc.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:20 am 

Well it doesn't help that the antipsychotics used to "help" them are actually more sinister than the random stuff they originally imagined.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:31 am 

severzhavnost wrote:

Sounds rather tame compared to this. It's basically a more extreme version of what you described, which claims that everything before the Middle Ages never happened and that many historical figures from different eras were the same person. For example Solomon and sultan Suleiman the Magnificent.

There are also a lot of practitioners of pseudolinguistics who claim their language is the oldest on Earth. The funniest are Indian, Ukrainian and Russian ones. There's a Russian guy who claims Russian is the oldest language on Earth because he can read Russian letters on the Moon and the Sun.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:52 pm 

^ :lol: You know what they say, “pics or it didn’t happen”. Which means, without the invention of captured photographical images, it is possible that nothing at all happened before about 1820.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:19 am 

funeralravens wrote:
There are also a lot of practitioners of pseudolinguistics who claim their language is the oldest on Earth. The funniest are Indian, Ukrainian and Russian ones. There's a Russian guy who claims Russian is the oldest language on Earth because he can read Russian letters on the Moon and the Sun.

That reminded me of something:
Montmirail wrote:
First in Cosmos was Russians.

:ugh:

Khan Vozdig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:20 am 

My favorite conspiracy theories are the ones that have no real point behind them , such as the one that humans have never been on the Moon ...

I mean most conspiracy theories have a kicker behind them , but that one very much falls into the realm of " Ok and so f'ing what ? " IMHO .

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:18 am 

Khan Vozdig wrote:
My favorite conspiracy theories are the ones that have no real point behind them , such as the one that humans have never been on the Moon ...

I mean most conspiracy theories have a kicker behind them , but that one very much falls into the realm of " Ok and so f'ing what ? " IMHO .
Some of the "evidence" is so compelling, the moon one makes me wonder myself sometimes. I have no doubt, but when you really read into some of the conspiracies it makes you think about it. I have to look up on the NASA website before making this post to see if its true. I guess it was program managers, who didn't see the original moon landing as important. They made the decision to destroy the footage. The spin the theorists put on the story makes you really give it consideration.
Then supposedly footage was found a few years ago. I had read some government contractors were working on some government property. In an old abandoned building some footage was being kept there. When the contractors reported it, some interesting people showed up to confiscate it. I almost want to say I saw this last story on Ancient Aliens, but for the life of me I can't find anything online regarding the story. Of course conspiracy theorists would say that's part of the cover up.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:25 am 

Of course one of my favorite is Bob Lazar. He is someone who supposedly worked at Area 51 and reverse engineering UFOs. He had some high level clearance, yet openly talks about it all with no consequence. He doesn't have a college education, but claims he is an MIT graduate. Of course the fact that there is no record, well that is part of the cover up. The government did this because of the high level work he was doing. You know, erase his past kind of thing. From someone who has had a high clearance and has one now with the DOD, I am quite aware of the consequences of openly talking about classified information. The fact that Bob Lazar is not in jail, is a high indicator to me what he is saying is total BS. For me he is one that is just so obvious, but people buy right into it.

Khan Vozdig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:35 am 

last_eulogy wrote:
Khan Vozdig wrote:

Some of the "evidence" is so compelling, the moon one makes me wonder myself sometimes. I have no doubt, but when you really read into some of the conspiracies it makes you think about it. I have to look up on the NASA website before making this post to see if its true. I guess it was program managers, who didn't see the original moon landing as important. They made the decision to destroy the footage. The spin the theorists put on the story makes you really give it consideration.
Then supposedly footage was found a few years ago. I had read some government contractors were working on some government property. In an old abandoned building some footage was being kept there. When the contractors reported it, some interesting people showed up to confiscate it. I almost want to say I saw this last story on Ancient Aliens, but for the life of me I can't find anything online regarding the story. Of course conspiracy theorists would say that's part of the cover up.

I mean most conspiracy theories have a sense of urgency behind them IMHO ...

F.ex that ones that center around Jews/Freemasons/whoever else controlling the banking system usually contain the kicker of " It's because of them that the world will plunge into economic chaos , which is why we must rise up and put a stop to it " ...

While in the case of humans never having been on the moon , there really is no kicker of something bad happening as a result of all moon landings involving humans having been staged ...

Or at least I'm not aware of any conspiracy theory that claims the Moon will transform into a giant black hole and swallow everything unless we land on it in X amount of years .

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:54 am 

Even the ones that have no point have the point of allowing the believers to feel they have seen through the big lie and thus have some genuine understanding of what's going on in the world. It's a lot less comfortable to know there's big lies abounding and not in the know.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:13 am 

I actually did ask a flat earther straight up what the point would be of all of the world's governments and scientists hiding the earth's shape and he said it wouldn't actually change anything if the earth was flat or round (though it's totally flat), it's just a measure of control by the global powers that he's resisting.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Sedition and Pockets
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:17 am 

But tell them the entire economic system rests on the theft of labor, and they'll shit themselves in the rush to condemn the observation.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next