Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:51 pm 

Idle Hands - Jackie

I was supposed to see this band live in August, but the whole festival have been cancelled (Corona, yes...)
Fuck, this band is so amazing.
Best album in forever.

''Oh Jackie, I miss when you were younger
Jackie, when I was younger too
Oh Jackie, to be with you forever
Jackie you, so beautiful to me''

I want a ''Jackie''

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:05 pm 

Suffocation - Thrones of Blood

Perfect balance of technicality and brutality!

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:17 pm 

Idle Hands - Dragon, Why Do You Cry?

So sad, so beautiful!

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:32 pm 

interstellar_medium wrote:
I don't listen to much actual goth stuff, but I look very much like a goth, does it count? =D

Gotta love the Flowing Tears cover of this song, BTW.

Heh, I'm pretty much the exact opposite.

I'm not sure I've heard their version of it, or if I did, it's been awhile. Listening to it now, it definitely changes the tenor of it quite a bit, I think I'll have to give it another listen a little later.

// indignantly // Whaddayamean you hate the guitar tone?! It's a perfect early 90s tone! Okay, I understand what you mean, but it does add to the charm IMO. Their recent comeback somehow didn't feel as breathtaking, and I can't exactly pinpoint why, but the production is definitely different...

Yeah, and also their sophomore album is better produced, but not as musically enthralling. As much as I'm into production and gear and such, I sometimes find it hard to tell exactly what it is that'll make me like or dislike a certain sonic aesthetic. It's really hit or miss in that era (maybe in all eras, but especially so then). Morbid Angel's Covenant, Entombed's Left Hand Path, Gorefest's False, Amorphis' Karelian Isthumus, Illdisposed's There's Something Rotten, Cannibal Corpse's Gallery of Suicide, Carcass' Heartwork, Cryptopsy's None So Vile, Iniquity's Serenadium, Cianide's Death Doom and Destruction, those are all examples of ones that I think sound great from around then. It's something about the low tuning and thick, smoldering tone.

NP: Exivious - "Entrust"

These guys came out at the exact wrong time for me. I was burning out on more technical-oriented music and increasingly shifting towards interest in vocals as opposed to mainly instrumentation. I heard it at the time (the debut) and thought it was good, kind of merging Cynic-esque vibes with some of the instrumental fusion scene, but I wasn't really in the mood at that point to try and really get into it. Now that I'd taken a long break from it and eventually found myself sucked back into that sort of sound again, I increasingly appreciate the brilliance of it. I especially love the harmonically complex clusters of clean chords and such, probably ultimately derived from Holdsworth.

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:12 pm 

Ensiferum- Run From the Crushing Tide

Fucking awesome song. The back and forth clean and rough vocals at the end are killer.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:32 pm 

Nile - Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten

One of Nile's best songs, this song is stupidly heavy

simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:07 pm 

Lovebites - Swan Song

After listening to Lovebites' new album, it's perhaps my personal Album of the Year 71+ minute of pure metal and those ladies deliver big time and the last song on the album is no exception. With powerful riffs and solos that rip you soul, how can someone to love this???? This is what power metal fans look for in our metal. Thank you, Lovebites for being AWESOME!!!!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:05 pm 

Paul Chain - Violet Art of Improvisation

Listening to his metal shit and then this long, drawling, keyboardy ambient/prog stuff - it really shows exactly how a knowledge of many types of music engenders quality, eclectic writing. This is fascinating stuff. Mesmeric and all-consuming. Really engaging, odd shit.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:50 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
[
As much as I'm into production and gear and such, I sometimes find it hard to tell exactly what it is that'll make me like or dislike a certain sonic aesthetic. It's really hit or miss in that era (maybe in all eras, but especially so then).

Well, I'm partial to most variations on the underground 90s sound. Might very well be because it was when I discovered actual, non-TV, metal, via stuff like Dreams of Sanity and Tiamat.
Even when it's muddy and tinny (sometimes at once!), there's a certain charm to it :)))

I have more problems with today's production. For example, Metal Church's latest record (and its offshoot compilation) shows way too many signs of failed gainstaging. It clips to high heaven; sometimes it makes my head ache.
On the other hand, a lot of younger bands out there today fall into the trap of playng ultra-safe and not pushing their guitar sound far enough. It's like... you can find heavier guitars on Am Universum, y'know, than what some of these bands come up with.
It's not a question of expensive studio gear either - Lyriel managed to get their guitars right, and they're not a big budget band. Which means everyone could do it, if they only cared to.

NP (for once!!): Metal Church - In Due Time (off Human Factor)

Absolutely love this song; totally know firsthand what the lyrics mean.
Now that's a rare album I have almost zero issues with. Songwriting, performance, production... amazing.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:24 am 

Striker - Out For Blood

To say the sax in this song caught me off guard would be an understatement. I've heard sax in metal, obviously, but it has always been used on the more experimental side or in brutal death metal like Rivers Of Nihil. To hear standard heavy metal/speed metal with sax is weird, but it works so well on this song.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:01 am 

jimbies wrote:
Striker - Out For Blood

To say the sax in this song caught me off guard would be an understatement. I've heard sax in metal, obviously, but it has always been used on the more experimental side or in brutal death metal like Rivers Of Nihil. To hear standard heavy metal/speed metal with sax is weird, but it works so well on this song.

Those guys had some great albums early in their career. I never play em enough... need to fix that soon.

Falconer - Thrust the Dagger Deep

God, this album has gorgeous production and melodicism.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:06 am 

The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby

A friend of mine showed me the "must listens" of the Beatles' discography, and this one has not left my playlists since. The string instrumental with the layered voices really is magic. Reminds me of Queen.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:34 am 

raumr wrote:
The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby

A friend of mine showed me the "must listens" of the Beatles' discography, and this one has not left my playlists since. The string instrumental with the layered voices really is magic. Reminds me of Queen.

The first time i've heard it i was so suprised, i didn't expect such a somber tune from them!

Pharaoh - Leave Me Here to Dream

I wanna come up with a riff powerful as the one at 2:40 once in my life :)

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:36 am 

Alice Cooper - Elected

70s Alice Cooper is the best. I've got my mother's school books with AC lyrics scrawled across them. Must have stood out a mile that :D

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:35 am 

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark

Some pretty worthless stuff here. Glad over half of the songs are still good.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:18 pm 

LordStenhammar wrote:

Which ones do you rate ? I've even come to appreciate 'Wasting Love' through sheer bloodymindedness :lol:

Iron Maiden - Be Quick Or Be Dead

Completely in response to the above, but still a great opener.

Last edited by ~Guest 361478 on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:48 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

It really does. "Thrust the Dagger Deep" is probably the only song on it that I didn't like, though. :V

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:42 pm 

Bathory - Sacrifice (compilation version)

I like this one better. It's not as nekro as the one on the album, but I like the echo vocals here better, as well as the production giving it a more rock n roll feeling. You really hear the Motorhead influence on this version!

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:25 pm 

I have more problems with today's production. For example, Metal Church's latest record (and its offshoot compilation) shows way too many signs of failed gainstaging. It clips to high heaven; sometimes it makes my head ache.

I'd had to learn to adjust my expectations based on the period it was recorded in and the subgenre it's part of. That way it's most noticeable when something is excessive relative to comparable albums. The loudness war is pretty ubiquitous, so I just have to find the level of compression I'm willing to cope with.

Quote:
It's not a question of expensive studio gear either - Lyriel managed to get their guitars right, and they're not a big budget band. Which means everyone could do it, if they only cared to.

Yeah, it's often more about knowledge and willingness to experiment. Ironically some of the "big budget" productions are just using modelers and plug-ins without any finesse, and sometimes it's painfully obvious.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:27 pm 

Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames.

I just don't like the new singer. ZP Theart sounds killer on this record. Sad to see him in that shell of Skid Row these days...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:27 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

It really does. "Thrust the Dagger Deep" is probably the only song on it that I didn't like, though. :V

I like the folky, understated vibe of it.

Bruce Dickinson - Jerusalem

This is as good as any of the classic songs from the 80s.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:34 pm 

Astral Doors- Ocean of Sand

Again. Still the best song theyve ever written.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:49 pm 

Methuen wrote:
LordStenhammar wrote:

Which ones do you rate ? I've even come to appreciate 'Wasting Love' through sheer bloodymindedness :lol:r.

I think Fear is the Key, The Fugitive and Weekend Warriors are maybe the worst ones. WW actually has quite good middle part, but otherwise... My faves are Be Quick..., Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Childhood's End, Judas Be My Guide and of course the title track. The rest are somewhat listenable. Might be forgetting something here.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:07 pm 

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Twilit Battle

"We need a battle theme for the Twilight section!"
"Say no more!"

*Violently slams fingers into keyboard"

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:03 am 

Reverend Bizarre - Cromwell

This may be the perfect doom metal song. The crunchtastic main riff, the kickass lyrics, I could listen to it forever.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:29 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames.

I just don't like the new singer. ZP Theart sounds killer on this record. Sad to see him in that shell of Skid Row these days...

The album that song is on is the only one of theirs I've heard (of course) and I actually really like ZP Theart's voice too. A combination of the range of Images & Words-era James LaBrie and a vocal tone sort of like Sonny Moore.

However, I will say that their new singer is better in a live setting.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:59 am 

Devilment - Hitchcock Blonde

Sounds like a further evolution of what COF were trying to do on "Thornography", and I don't think I'm that into it.
In any case, if this is keeping Dani's worst instincts away from COF, I'm all for it existing.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:08 am 

Vuvr - "Garden of Consciousness"

I'm in the mood for strange stuff right now, and this really hits the spot. Almost like a mixture of certain eras of King Crimson and Cynic.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:31 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Ironically some of the "big budget" productions are just using modelers and plug-ins without any finesse, and sometimes it's painfully obvious.

That, too.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 am 

Doro - I'll Be Holding On

Emotional song. Love it.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:50 am 

Iron Maiden - Total Eclipse

Every now and then I forget how good the 'album tracks' on NotB are - it's always good to be reminded that Maiden were never ever a singles band.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:51 pm 

Execution's Mask - The Defilers

(Non-metal) goth music newly released. Digging it so far.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:53 pm 

Leeches of Lore - Motel of Infinity

I think this might be my favorite from them, though I think I haven't heard the debut yet. But this one is a delightful romp of hazy, psychedelic Western type shit. Dusty Americana vibes with jaunty, colorful music. A warped oddity.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:35 pm 

Theatre of Tragedy - Lorelei

"Aegis" is simply The Sisters of Mercy gone metal in terms of style.
I'm 100% okay with that.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:00 pm 

Benighted - Nocturne

That time when Benighted played black metal for one album and then immediately dropped that style of metal forever afterwards.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:19 pm 

Viraemia - Glioblastoma

A little less intense than their old material, but very enjoyable. The 'regular' sweeps are still great, but those new stutter-sweeps sound amazing, very cool technique. I'd love to hear more of that on the full-length (which is hopefully still being worked on). Production-wise I think I prefer this over the debut, it's just a bit more professional. Their original line-up was better imo, but unfortunately they lost the legendary Scott Plummer (R.I.P.). Very intelligent & cool guy who got a lot of undeserved shit in the form of people calling his style/music 'soulless'. Absolute bass god, that intro to "Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation" is one of my all-time favourites.

Their old vocalist, Tony Martinez, is also one of my favourites. His highs are very distinctive in their agression and they fit the music extremely well. Very solid vocalist. As for the new members, Ollie Morgan (Bass) & Mark Garrett (vocals), they're good, but I get the feeling that they're just there to 'complete' the music and not to contribute in the way Scott and Tony did. Mark Garrett is also the vocalist of the band Kardashev (which is also a band I really like) and he seems to be much more busy with that band, which only adds a reason to why I feel this way. Ollie Morgan seems to have been a member of a lot of generic hyper-tech bands and I think that probably any tech-death bassist could take his spot, whereas Scott was truly one of a kind. I don't have anything personal against the guys, they seem cool, but this is just how I feel. Anyways, gonna end this post here, it's starting to become way too long.

Here's the song: https://viraemia.bandcamp.com/track/glioblastoma

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:07 pm 

Idle Hands - Puppy Love

Seems like they are moving away from the heavy metal part of their sound and more towards the gothic rock side, and I have no problem with that if its gonna sound this good!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:12 pm 

Paul Chain Violet Theatre - In The Darkness

First song was actually kind of bad due to the awful screechy vocals he had a tendency to do. But I'm on the long ambient track "War" now and starting to like this. His incorporations of spacey keyboard stuff is a much greater level of integration than many more modern bands try. You know he was just super into music.

edit: OK, despite the iffy start this is a brilliant and crazy piece of old school primordial shit.

Last edited by Empyreal on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:34 pm 

Kamelot- The Shadow Theory

This is so god damn BORING.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:57 pm 

Judas Priest - Heroes End

The guitarwork in this song is downright sinister

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 2377, 2378, 2379, 2380, 2381, 2382, 2383 ... 2914  Next