Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Afra0732
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:52 pm 

Hey guys,

Recently I had been going through the "To Do" section, more specifically the "Artists without genders" page. I didn't think that it would be wrong to correct people's genders based on their names, assuming it isn't at all a unisex name. I'm aware now that I shouldn't be operating off of guesswork at all. The message itself was enough for me to realize my mistake there.
I got a message from a mod insinuating that I'm not respecting non-binary people and that just because an artist's gender is labeled as "Unknown/other" doesn't mean I'm invited to change it.

I didn't mean to be misgendering non-binary people. I wasn't stumbling upon artists, seeing their genders marked "other" and changing it. In that case I definitely would not be respecting people's identities. I was going through the To Do section, where I assumed artists wouldn't show up if they were non-binary, as that means their gender is already set. There's no way to tell if an artist's gender is truly accidentally left blank, or if they're non-binary.

I go through a number of reports every day and contribute as much as I can wherever I'm able to. I feel like removing the points I got from changing artist's genders would be a more appropriate punishment, but I'm not a mod and don't know your guys' rules for penalties and etc.

Thanks all, any help is appreciated

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:50 pm 

OK, I kinda forgot there was a to-do list for that... That's a really old thing and should probably be updated with clearer instructions. Still, it's a good idea to check with a mod or someone experimented before going on an update spree (the Discord server is useful for that), and guesswork is definitely frowned upon in all situations. You had incorrectly set some non-binary artists to a binary gender, and even set an artist to "male" based on the name when there was a note saying it was actually a drum machine. Some sloppy editing there that I feel deserves a penalty (and made me spend part of my Friday night reversing it all...) but I gave you back some points.

And yes, I know that it's dumb that there's currently no way to know whether an artist's gender is correctly set to "other" or if it's actually unknown. I was actually working on correcting that when I noticed your edits.

Afra0732
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:32 am 

Sorry for the trouble I caused, and thank you for returning some of my points. I really just want to help.

Reply to topic