Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PieDirsas
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:45 am 

Hey guys! I'm looking for bands that are similar to Sepultura's "Roots" album, I really like that tribal element they were going for. So far I have found Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiracy, Alien Weaponry and Ektomorf. I enjoy any genre, so if it has that tribal aesthetic going on, I will be satisfied.
Thank You!

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:54 am 

Neurosis. I believe Sepultura have said multiple times they "borrowed" a lot of stuff from Neurosis.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:04 am 

Good call on Neurosis, I've never made that connection before, i would say it was Souls At Zero ('92) that had the influence on them for Chaos AD, you can definitely hear it in songs like "The Web" and the title track.
Enemy Of The Sun ('93) was awesome too, check out "Cleanse", its those 2 albums that would've influenced them.
So Neurosis for the good shit and Korn for the well.. shit shit.
I bought Souls At Zero on CD in '92 and I didn't even have a CD player for another 2yrs, had to get a mate to dub it onto tape. Those day's were awesome, it seemed like every time you walked out of the music store you were carrying another future classic.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:06 am 

Obituary "World Demise". I always thought Donald Tardy''s drumming and percussion was more than a little tribalish on this one. I kinda liked how it blended a dash of industrial in there too with the groovy death metal. Check out "Kill For Me" amongst others.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:38 am 

Another one you could find interesting are Minsk, i've found their album The Crash and the Draw to be rather good and more varied than usual

PieDirsas
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:37 am 

Thanks fot the suggestions, another band I found is Cemican from Mexico, it's interesting, but somehow it doesn't click for me, don't know why. Although I really like the Aztec vibe. :D

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:58 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Another one you could find interesting are Minsk, i've found their album The Crash and the Draw to be rather good and more varied than usual

Yes, The Crash and the Draw is their best imho. The Ritual Fires of Abandonment is also cool but the sound is a bit muddy.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:00 pm 

You could try Kylesa. They kind of squandered a two-drummer situation, but you might still find something there to enjoy. Start at the beginning with them.

Thorn has the drummer from Nausea, Roy Mayorga. Their "She Rises Like The Sun" CDEP is cool. While you're trying out Roy, give Nausea a shot.

Contropotere from Italy has some great tribal drumming. It's in the punk realm, but they're quite progressive and far enough removed from punk in their approach that you might also find something there.

The problem you're going to find here is that few metal, or punk for that matter, musicians seem to have genuine curiosity for traditional musics more focused on percussion than western musics. Native musics. Indian classical. Arabic and Persian traditionals. African sensibilities. I've had to look elsewhere for my percussion fixes.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:19 pm 

I agree with the post above, metal seems strangely devoid of real tribal influences. I tend to find more bands in the industrial realm.

Check out Swiss band Nàda, especially their 2nd album "Úr". It's like a mix of mid-period Swans, Banshees and Neubauten with a huge ethnic/tribal influence.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... EEF1A5E0BA

Edit:

Just remembered a band someone rec'd me ages ago when I made a similar request. Italian BM band Lamentu incorporate African influences in their music. I don't remember being particularly blown away by them, but it might float your boat.

https://youtu.be/btkUOeFE9Lo
https://youtu.be/XzfHvbGkcPM

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:50 pm 

Expanding upon my previous post, I've been obsessed with tribal-influenced rhythms in all genres for many years. I occasionally do a tribal-themed DJ set that ranges from industrial, post-punk, ambient and psych to traditional ethnic music, but doesn't feature much metal, mainly because I've never really found much after years of searching. The most metal tracks in my setlist are Obituary's "Rotting Ways", Enslaved's "The Crossing" and Unholy's "Into Cold Light".

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:09 pm 

Art Blakey - Orgy in Rhythm Vols 1 & 2 1957 - apt title - not really jazz; maybe the final track for a minute - this is non-stop percussion and good chaos - lots of African influence - a good listen with a quality recording.

Art Blakey - Holiday for Skins 1958

Art Blakey & The Afro-Drum Ensemble - The African Beat 1962

Zakir Hussain - Drums of India - Tabla 1999

Zakir Hussain - Selects 2002 - album of his favorite live recordings - some of the resonance is beam-rattlingly powerful.

Zakir Hussain - Magical Moments of Rhythm 1993 - pretty damn great percussion album - "6 1/2 Beat Tala (solo)" is just one of the powerhouses of this album - not without weak tracks, but a definite standout.

Between - And the Waters Opened 1973

Niagara - '71-'73 - these Niagara albums are great. The first is all percussion. Rock and Latin (Cuban is what I've read), like what you'd expect out of a 40-minute Santana frenzy in their early prime. The second album is fusion of the same variety, but I don't think they did fusion with guitar and piano as skillfully as just percussion. It's good though. The third is just percussion + bass guitar with short songs as structure. 1st and 3rd albums are where it's at.

There are some Santana recordings that are mind-blowing, high-energy Latin frenzies. If interested, let me know. I'll have to dig around to remember which ones. I know the Woodstock performance is fantastic. Sweating acid and mescaline in the finest order.

Reply to topic