Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:09 pm 

Seasons isn’t my favorite Slayer album but I would consider it among the classics. I like how it combines the SOH atmosphere with some of the older flourishes.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:58 pm 

Well I guess I'll be the one to say Seasons IS my favorite Slayer album. Since it's a bit longer the album feels more well paced and has the best leads of their career. On top of that, the production PUNISHES even 3 decades later and Araya's voice is at it's most tonally rich, right before it fell into hardcore shout monotony. The groove elements that creep up a bit here and there also make the fast songs hit harder to me than the earlier albums that were more speed centric throughout. Another thing, the drum sound is peak Lombardo on that album and the character of his playing gets to be showcased a lot more than the earlier albums due to more room for variety in fills and the like.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:08 pm 

Backing Metallic Shock and Twisted_Psychology. Some other counter points to all the Seasons bashing:

-I wouldn't say the other songs are "in one ear out the other." Blood Red and Skeletons Of Society are just as hooky as the other mentioned songs
-Dead Skin Mask isn't a "rehash" of anything. It's an entirely different monster that just happens to have the same pace and similar vibes. But considering BH thinks The Years Of Decay is a Metallica ripoff, I take that with a grain of salt (since apparently no two songs can have similar energy without being ripoffs or rehashes).
-I didn't say that the two records sound alike at all, but often times I see people cut the band off after RIB because of them "softening up" (which is also annoying, but that's different argument).

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:17 am 

Sweetie wrote:
...considering BH thinks The Years Of Decay is a Metallica ripoff...

I remember reading about that review and I think his take is totally legit. Sure, I'm probably biased since I was never big on Overkill, but the examples he brought were for the most part on point in my opinion.

That being said, I don't think anybody's gonna eliminate Metallic Shock for liking SitA better. Most of us see it as a perfectly fine album after all, so it's up to people to have favourites. Maybe not their finest hour, but the beauty of the music is that objective quality takes a back seat sometimes (okay, not that objective vs. subjective discussion again please...)

It's the dawn of descending...

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:04 pm 

My beef with it is the whole "Elimination vs. Master Of Puppets" thing. SO many riffs have that same vibe. It isn't the same note pattern, nor does the second half of the song even remotely represent MOP. Does the progression sound the same? Yeah sure. Same energy? Definitely. But there are SO many metal riffs like that. Does that mean they're ALL a Metallica ripoff?

The Years Of Decay in general also just has significantly strong writing, and jumps all over the place while still maintaining a specific undertone through the entire thing.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:42 pm 

lol the Years of Decay thing is something we're just never gonna agree on it seems. I admit I have kind of a bad habit with Overkill reviews where I tend to accentuate the negative simply because I have beef with them sucking for twenty years and getting a pass, but I hope I can do better in explaining that all of the Metallica-isms aren't my problem with YoD, it's more that I think it has a lot of boring songs that miss the mark and I highlight the Metallica comparisons because they seem to be weirdly overlooked when they're so obvious to me. That Elimination riff is such an obvious reworking of the Master of Puppets riff and I find it so bizarre that people bend over backwards with minute technicalities to say it's totally different when any other band playing that riff would be met with my take on it. And to reiterate, I don't even think it's bad! Elimination is possibly the best song on YoD and I think MoP fuckin' rules.

More on topic though, Dead Skin Mask and Mandatory Suicide have the same vibe, same structure, similar riffs, and are even the same damn track number on their respective albums. The only major difference to me is the lyrical topic, but otherwise I find it impossible to see them as anything other than companions to one another. I like both songs to some extent but I think the South of Heaven one is just better.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:24 pm 

Dead Skin Mask always reminded me of South of Heaven's title track than Mandatory Suicide personally. The opening riffs aren't too far off from one another.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:03 pm 

Seasons in the Abyss to me sounds like the band lost all artistic ambition and basically become their own tribute band, throwing out a collection of "stuff the fans like." And mind you, there's nothing wrong with fans liking stuff the fans like, so I'm not gonna put down anyone for liking the album. I just like the overarching themes for each of the previous albums (SNM, the wild album, HA, the dark album, RIB, the fast album, SOH, the smart album) that made them feel like a lot more than the sum of their parts and not just a collection of cool riffs and angry screams and pounding drums.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:40 pm 

I prefer to live in the reality where Slayer disbanded after 'Reign in Blood' because you can only go downhill after achieving perfection.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:50 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
That Elimination riff is such an obvious reworking of the Master of Puppets riff

Yeah, the main riff is totally similar and the intro is more than just reminiscent. But the rest of the song really doesn't have the same feel, and the structuring and chorus section would never give the impression of similarity. Silly to pick such a well-known riff to use really.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:09 am 

I think we were talking about meta-reviews a while back when a review (I think it was someone reviewing Lord of Diamonds) seemed to be deliberately as bad as the music, now the topic of meta-reviews can be revisited with a Demilich review that seems to have been written under the influence of some of the same drugs that were taken during the writing of the album.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:25 am 

zeingard wrote:
I prefer to live in the reality where Slayer disbanded after 'Reign in Blood' because you can only go downhill after achieving perfection.

In that case, I’d rather the reality where they broke up after South of Heaven.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:45 pm 

Demon Fang wrote:
zeingard wrote:

This wouldn't work for me, because then they'd have to stop after Show No Mercy, my idea of perfection :)

T_S: I see that that a bit more than the other comparison tbh

BH: I know man, lol. I honestly am not sure if I actually read your review, I took what I said from out Facebook conversations. Sometime soon I'll read it and get back to this but to be honest, your reviews are so long that I legit have to set time aside to check them out :lol:

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:52 pm 

On another note, I'm not sure what to make of the latest Pantera review. It was very coherently written (almost obnoxious tbh), but, I'm not sure I follow. However, I need the opinion of someone who DOESN'T love that album the way I do.

Edit: Perhaps this part belongs in the Crappy Diem thread, but, the same writer's Deicide review was AWFUL. Literally one Paragraph (and a shallow intro) about how it scared him, and how it's just like Slayer amplified. Nothing more than a quick wikipedia-like description with no detail on the music at all. Maybe I missed something that made it passable, but I don't truly see how that made it through.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:01 am 

Tony and I actually talked about those reviews before they went up and agreed they're fine. The Deicide one is short and the description is a bit more abstract than most here but it still gives a good idea of what the album is.

You know how I say you can more easily see through bullshit by looking for context and emphasis instead of falsehoods? Here's a fun metal-centric example with this guy. He is totally correct on both points when he says groove era Pantera is peak bonehead trailer trash machismo and Deicide's self titled is a ferocious attack on Christianity. But with the context of those two being his first reviews submitted at the same time and with the emphasis on Pantera being "anti-intellectual" and Deicide being some esoteric representation of Satan triumphing over God, he sounds... well, a bit ANUS-y. I don't think he is, since he likes plenty of music released after 1993 and doesn't seem to be a curmudgeonly pissant, but those arguments about how aggressive death metal with a million riffs is actually super sophisticated high art with a grand meaning while everything else is limp posturing were a dime a dozen in their heyday. I reckon he's just a metalloid instead of some genuine shithead but those two reviews right next to each other make me feel like I already have a good enough idea of what he's about.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:25 pm 

Yeah he told me the same thing. I agree with your second paragraph for sure, though.

NoSoup4you22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:09 pm 

The Deicide and Pantera reviews got two belly laughs out of me in a row. Petty or not, he's more fun to read than 90% of reviewers.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:09 pm 

Both of those reviews are pretty good actually. But I can see the ANUS thing. The Pantera one, I never agree with the negative opinions; I think it's pretty good as an album. And I don't gel with the way he conflates "basic" or "anti-intellectual" with "simple music." But everyone's got an opinion and a lot of metalheads just go for the more complex, fast, extreme stuff with little else I guess. The review is well-written anyway.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:45 pm 

I got some major league ANUS vibes from that Deicide review, less so from the Pantera one, which struck me as a more typical viewpoint among old school death and thrash metal fans who don't like their music dumbed down. I think the issue with the latter album has less to do with the album's musical simplicity and more so with the boneheaded lyrics and Anselmo's ridiculous vocals. Some of the riffs on VDoP are fairly decent, albeit repeated a bit too much, and Dimebag's soloing is largely on point. The album was a massive step down from Cowboys From Hell, and there's a lot of the negative sentiment thrown Vulgar's way by people who loved its predecessor.

As far as the Deicide review goes, I think he went a bit overboard and read some things into it that aren't really there. It's a solid album, but when I compare it to albums like Prophecies Of A Dying World, Dawn Of Possession and even its successor Legion, it's not quite the undisputed classic that review makes it out to be.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:12 pm 

I just appreciate any review that describes things so luridly and passionately, as opposed to more standard 'the guitars sound ferocious, the vocalist bellows like a demon, etc' and not much else. It's hyperbolic but doesn't quite cross the line into a weird ANUS philosophical thing exactly.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:56 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I just appreciate any review that describes things so luridly and passionately, as opposed to more standard 'the guitars sound ferocious, the vocalist bellows like a demon, etc' and not much else. It's hyperbolic but doesn't quite cross the line into a weird ANUS philosophical thing exactly.

I can't really fault the writer for the amount of passion, just can't shake the parallels that I see in the point being made and the writing going along with it and what I used to see constantly out of ANUSites back in the mid-2000s. Then again, the fact that Dressed_in_Black admits to being a Tyr fan kinda cuts against him actually being one, though his Valkyrja review seems to suggest a wholly nostalgia-driven approach to things. Not necessarily a bad thing, I'll wait for more output before I say anything further, but it's tough for me to get really jazzed up about Black's writing as it stands now.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:16 am 

Can someone please end my undying curiosity for knowing what ANUS stands for? I picked up long ago that it refers to a corner of the internet I missed out on, but it's the kind of acronym one can't throw around carelessly.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:30 am 

Sweetie wrote:
Demon Fang wrote:
zeingard wrote:

This wouldn't work for me, because then they'd have to stop after Show No Mercy, my idea of perfection :)

:P

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Can someone please end my undying curiosity for knowing what ANUS stands for? I picked up long ago that it refers to a corner of the internet I missed out on, but it's the kind of acronym one can't throw around carelessly.

American Nihilist Underground Society.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:56 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I can't really fault the writer for the amount of passion, just can't shake the parallels that I see in the point being made and the writing going along with it and what I used to see constantly out of ANUSites back in the mid-2000s. Then again, the fact that Dressed_in_Black admits to being a Tyr fan kinda cuts against him actually being one, though his Valkyrja review seems to suggest a wholly nostalgia-driven approach to things. Not necessarily a bad thing, I'll wait for more output before I say anything further, but it's tough for me to get really jazzed up about Black's writing as it stands now.

There's a kind of haughty, intellectual air about all the writing, but at the same time, the worst part of those ANUS review types was always the insane negativity they had with these flimsy, nonsensical justifications about metal purity or how there was never anything good after a certain year, that kind of thing. The irritating part to me was that they pontificated about shit that wasn't really there.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:44 am 

That new review for Necrodaemon Terrorsathan is a crock of shit. I always pointed to that album as one of the best fusions of black & death in the entire history of metal so I was interested to read a differing perspective...and while his review is no doubt well-written, very verbose with lots of colorful language...his descriptions feel incredibly shallow and surface level (which ironically, is what he accuses the album of being). I can respectfully disagree with him calling the riffing "unfocused" or too "blunt", and while I don't know what he's referring to as "slam-in-corpsepaint breakdowns", it doesn't really bother me. At the same time, there's also a lot of bad faith criticism in the 2nd to last paragraph, insulting people who like it and basically implying they're stupid or posers ("casual fans")...nice one, man. Some of the complaints also don't make any sense...saying it mixes in "tech-death in the vein of Nile" (it doesn't at all) and the ridiculous claim that later Belphegor works mixed "deathcore and pop" (yeah, the post-'06 Belphegor period isn't as well regarded but don't just make shit up to make it sound worse :lol:).

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:51 am 

Okay here's what I recommend:

1. Look at the album title "Necrodaemon Terrorsathan"
2. Think about expecting an intellectual analysis
3. Look at the album title again
4. Think again about expecting an intellectual analysis
5. Consider the album is called fricken "Necrodaemon Terrorsathan"
6. Consider if an intellectual analysis is appropriate
7. Return to step 1 until you've read this list three times

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:59 am 

droneriot wrote:
Okay here's what I recommend:

1. Look at the album title "Necrodaemon Terrorsathan"
2. Think about expecting an intellectual analysis
3. Look at the album title again
4. Think again about expecting an intellectual analysis
5. Consider the album is called fricken "Necrodaemon Terrorsathan"
6. Consider if an intellectual analysis is appropriate
7. Return to step 1 until you've read this list three times

I don't know 'bout you but where I come from we defend the honor of albums with amazing titles.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:04 am 

Well almost two decades ago I had a friend who would go on and on about how dumb Panzer Division Marduk is, and after I checked out the album that followed I messaged him that the new album is a lot less dumb and recommended he check out the song "Death Sex Ejaculation", and I got a very dry response that was basically "Death Sex Ejaculation a lot less dumb you gotta be kidding me."

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:38 am 

The writer of the new Opeth review apparently dislikes the band's progressive rock direction and thinks that they sold out...

...yet has also written several reviews praising post-millennium In Flames.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:42 am 

The writer of several Lord of Diamonds reviews apparently dislikes lots of modern metalcore and deathcore.

...yet also strangely seems to be into lots of modern metalcore and deathcore.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:06 am 

droneriot wrote:
The writer of several Lord of Diamonds reviews apparently dislikes lots of modern metalcore and deathcore.

...yet also strangely seems to be into lots of modern metalcore and deathcore.

Am I? I've never reviewed a deathcore album favorably, and the only metalcore-like album I remember writing about semi-positively was Come Clarity.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:11 pm 

Really digging the style of we hope you die. Especially glad to see another take on Nekus besides my own, since it's a bit of a hard swallow. I can pretty much see every point they made.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:25 am 

Say what you will but I actually prefer outrageous hot takes of classic albums over lukewarm takes like that new Morbid Angel review with that phoned in "oh uh I wasn't totally blown away so it's like kinda overrated and stuff" meandering.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:28 am 

^ It's "Alters of meh"...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:52 am 

Whenever you start judging something based on hype, you'll always have a clouded view of it.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:36 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Whenever you start judging something based on hype, you'll always have a clouded view of it.

Definitely, it always leads to disappointment. My big example personally would be Hidden History Of Human Race. That might be the most hyped up album of 2019 and I think at best it's a 7/10.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:25 pm 

Sweetie wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Definitely, it always leads to disappointment. My big example personally would be Hidden History Of Human Race. That might be the most hyped up album of 2019 and I think at best it's a 7/10.

Just try never to listen to it. Just approach things with an open set of ears whenever you can. I've found I like things a lot more when I do that.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:55 pm 

Believe me, I try that as hard and often as I can m8.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:21 pm 

Drinking game: Take a shot every time Orbitball says they prefer old Opeth.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:38 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Drinking game: Take a shot every time Orbitball says they prefer old Opeth.

I rejected that review, he deleted it and resubmitted and it got approved. He's the worst reviewer on MA.

Don't forget to support the band and buy their albums by the way!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433, 434 ... 520  Next