Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:06 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Love, Death & Robots is another great example of what Netflix blows its money on for no apparent reason, looks great but no other point to it, like a visual equivalent to Triptykon. Only to end up being successful with a horse cartoon and a docudrama about a bizarre weirdo animal collector, probably their two lowest budget productions.

They do it for the same reason as any other anthology series or collections of shorts: to give viewers a peak at what the creative minds of tomorrow are like early on.

I've been binging it today and while not every episode is a hit, there's been some excellent ones. "The Secret War," "Suits," and "Sonnie's Edge" are ones I'd love to see feature length versions of. "Three Robots" and "Beyond the Aquila Rift" are virtually perfect in length and execution, also. I was pleasantly surprised by "Helping Hand" and "Fish Night," too.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

~Guest 927084
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:20 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Love, Death & Robots is another great example of what Netflix blows its money on for no apparent reason, looks great but no other point to it, like a visual equivalent to Triptykon. Only to end up being successful with a horse cartoon and a docudrama about a bizarre weirdo animal collector, probably their two lowest budget productions.

They do it for the same reason as any other anthology series or collections of shorts: to give viewers a peak at what the creative minds of tomorrow are like early on.

I've been binging it today and while not every episode is a hit, there's been some excellent ones. "The Secret War," "Suits," and "Sonnie's Edge" are ones I'd love to see feature length versions of. "Three Robots" and "Beyond the Aquila Rift" are virtually perfect in length and execution, also. I was pleasantly surprised by "Helping Hand" and "Fish Night," too.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed Sonnie's Edge. I didn't think the entire series was necessarily groundbreaking by any means, but it offered some easily digestible material in a quick-bite format. I found it to be perfect to fulfill those niche "I want to be entertained with very little commitment" moods.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:26 pm 

Really appreciated Love, Death and Robots too. I'd very much welcome more seasons with more artists going wild.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Last edited by Dungeon_Vic on Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:55 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Really appreciated Love, Death and Robots too. I'd very welcome more seasons with more artists going wild.

Same here.

I can't think of one of the episodes I didn't like.

All different enough to be enjoyable to me.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:10 am 

Why does everybody communicate exclusively by screaming?
Why does everybody try to scream as many words in as short a time as possible?
Why does nobody ever shut up for one second?

Just a heads up that if you're too old to be part of the Spongebob generation, Lower Decks will be unwatchable for you.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:45 am 

Is it really that bad? The writer is the guy behind the best episodes of Rick & Morty and TNG Season 8. His knowledge of comedy and Trek is pretty much unparalleled.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:24 am 

Like I tried to hint in my previous post, I can't really say, it's a style of animated show that just never worked for me. Everyone's constantly screaming, super fast and non-stop and I know there's people who love that type of stuff.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:17 am 

Caught a commercial for the Alienist. They hooked me with the first four episodes of season one being free. I thought it was on Netflix, but like everything good that ends up on Netflix its gone. I bought the rest of the season. Such a good show. Late 1800s, NYC, serial killer. The name kind of threw me. I didn't know that's the term that was used prior to psychologist. Talk about a great damn show. I'll probably watch the entire rest of season 1 today.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:25 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Is it really that bad? The writer is the guy behind the best episodes of Rick & Morty and TNG Season 8. His knowledge of comedy and Trek is pretty much unparalleled.

I made it about three minutes.

I don’t see myself ever turning that back on again.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:37 am 

Finished it earlier. A lot of really subtle very Trek-lore heavy jokes underneath all the shouting. It's also exactly 10 million times better than Final Space, which isn't saying much considering what 10 million x 0 is.

I enjoyed it, all I wanted was a comedy made by someone with encyclopedic knowledge of Trek, and that's what I got.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:53 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
It's also exactly 10 million times better than Final Space, which isn't saying much considering what 10 million x 0 is.

Awwww man, I liked Final Space.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:07 pm 

Second season of Umbrella Academy was a lot of fun. It had the kind of old-school '60s Americana story type I'm a sucker for. It's as outrageous, weird and over the top as ever, but this time I think we got more insight into the characters and the performances felt more unrestrained now that they didn't have to spend time establishing the world. Just a really likable show, and stylish as fuck with killer directing, set pieces and especially the mesmeric soundtrack - probably my favorite on TV right now, and almost its own character.

I thought the last few eps were a bit rushed but not bad at all - they just seemed to be having so much fun with the middle of the season that the end was a bit short.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:01 am 

This World's Most Wanted show on Netflix really angers up the blood.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:46 am 

I just discovered 'Baskets' (streaming on Hulu) and I'm really enjoying it so far. Everyone is great; but Louie Anderson in particular is phenomenal. Awkward, dry, absurdist humour is the best I can come up with to describe it.

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:10 am 

Been a bit down in my mood the last few days, so I went for the easiest cure and watched all the Dominion War arc episodes of the last three seasons of Star Trek DS9. Always feels good.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:51 am 

Decided to watch the second episode of Lower Decks because I saw a bunch of people saying it was a big improvement over the first. Still has the same issue with the max speed screaming being annoying as fuck, but yeah, while the first episode of this comedy forgot to include anything funny to make it a comedy, the second episode had a couple of laughs, so they definitely got a lot better on that end. If it stays like that I suppose I can make it through a ten episode season with a bit of discipline.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:33 am 

I mean you watched the Spaceballs Animated TV show, LD can't be worse than that.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:53 am 

Dunno why you'd want to jinx it like that, Spaceballs TAS got more brutal with each episode.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:10 am 

I always seem to be one step behind on TV. I am into Veep and working through all of the episodes. I had tried it a while back, but didn't like it. Now I am hooked. Great show.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:22 am 

I'm a bit in limbo and can't decide what to watch. I was watching all of Stargate and absolutely loved it for 15 seasons of SG-1 and Atlantis but gave it up halfway through the first season of Universe because every episode I watched felt exactly the same. Even if the plot synopsis of each episode shows different plots for all of them they all have the same tone and feel and same type of conversations between the same people and same type of issues, got boring really fast. Unless it improved a lot later on I don't understand why it had fans that were upset it was cancelled.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:31 am 

It improved a lot later on. The first season is widely considered the worst season of a Stargate series.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:37 am 

I expected to see this thread blow up with some hot takes on Lovecraft Country! I really enjoyed the first episode. They "got to it" a lot faster than I expected. The main characters as I understand them so far are varied and interesting, aka they feel like real people. I'm hooked as fuck and so is my wife, we've already rewatched the first episode. Can't wait to see how it expands next Sunday. The idea of taking a pulpy, Lovecraft inspired story and filtering it through the black experience in the Jim Crow era is powerful.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:06 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I expected to see this thread blow up with some hot takes on Lovecraft Country! I really enjoyed the first episode. They "got to it" a lot faster than I expected. The main characters as I understand them so far are varied and interesting, aka they feel like real people. I'm hooked as fuck and so is my wife, we've already rewatched the first episode. Can't wait to see how it expands next Sunday. The idea of taking a pulpy, Lovecraft inspired story and filtering it through the black experience in the Jim Crow era is powerful.

Just watched it myself. Really fantastic. I read the book a few years ago and this actually seems like it goes for the throat more than the book did. Well written and timely, but also a brutal pulp horror story with imagination in shovelfuls. It seems to be really going for actual racial reality and tackling that in ways a lot of mainstream entertainment didn't for ages.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:29 pm 

I've started watching Babylon 5, tried years ago and never got very far because of how cheesy it was, but I've heard it gets a lot better. So I'm skipping a lot of episodes in the first season and just watching the "essential" highly rated ones.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:32 pm 

Just make sure you don't skip the two amazing entries by outside writers, "Believers" and "Survivors".

Honestly though I'd just recommend soldiering on from beginning to end, I know how exhausting the first season can be with it's almost Adam West Batman level of tackiness, but once it goes dark, you'll be thankful for thinking of those characters as these nice tacky Adam West Batman characters when they take you onto a wild ride of dark insanity. Seeing these silly cheesy characters turning into genocidal maniacs is a big part of the appeal.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:28 am 

last_eulogy wrote:
I always seem to be one step behind on TV. I am into Veep and working through all of the episodes. I had tried it a while back, but didn't like it. Now I am hooked. Great show.

Agreed.

The void left behind after 30 Rock ended is massive. It took me awhile to give Veep a chance. I heard all the hype over the years, but it took Julia Louis Dreyfus coming onto Conan O' Brien' podcast for me to finally buy in. The writing is great, though and I love listening to all of them HEAVILY shit on each other.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:59 pm 

Veep is phenomenal. I lost track of it somewhere around Season 3. Need to go back and pick that up. Letting funny people work with no script or a minimal script is my favorite kind of comedy. Obviously Curb your Enthusiasm does it best but I think it was also the biggest strength of the old Sunny in Philly episodes. It's fun to watch creative/funny people riff in the moment and come up with hilarious banter.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:14 am 

Episode 2 of Lovecraft Country was another banger. I have to give them credit for taking a very un-Lovecraft approach to the pacing. SO MUCH happens in the first two episodes. Stuff I really expected to drag out for the entire season. I can't even explain how much I'm loving this show. Also, Clark Ashton Smith, my second favorite author of all time (no one tops Jack Vance) got a name-check in episode 2 and I know it was just for big ol' fucking nerds to geek out over and I am one of those and I did. Bonus points to my amazing wife, as soon as she heard his name she said "That's your boy!"

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:03 am 

Gangs of London's frickin' dope. At first I was taken aback by just how ludicrous it is, but now I'm halfway through and fully on board. It's like Peaky Blinders meets Mortal Kombat, including stage fatalities. I even sometimes imagine the characters having fighter game health bars in the top corners during the 5+ minute fight scenes.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:39 am 

Episode 5 has the best action scene I've seen on TV. Which isn't to say it's all downhill from there as it still has a few tricks up its sleeve (keyword: Nigerians), but there's nothing else quite as visceral as that bag of grenades.

Also, the show kinda made me terrified of the Dutch. I'm on to you, henkkjelle! Others may fall for your "I'm the nicest and legitimately the most genuine person who ever logged onto a pseudonymous forum," but now I know better!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:31 am 

I believe you mean the Danes. :-P

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:41 am 

Wait... they're not the same?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:32 am 

The last new-ish TV show I watched was Netflix's Messiah, first and only season. It's sort of like the Chrysalids of television, in that it has an intriguing premise and a decent plot arch dealing with eternal themes which at times even approaches greatness and then towards the end the writers stroked out and decided to write some other show instead. It was really jarring to experience the quality arc of nine seasons of X-Files over the span of 10 episodes. I thought part of the allure of Netflix originals was that they are supposed to be self-contained, continuous binge experiences....maybe they need to work on that.

(the ending wasn't the problem either, or at least not the only problem)

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:15 am 

Watched episode 5 of gangs of London last night. Keeps getting better.

RainyTheBusinessPerson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:22 pm 

Finished watching The Good Place a few weeks ago.
Honestly, I had no idea of what they would do for the ending, but the entire 4th season (and ending) had a really calm, yet bittersweet feel to it.
I find it to be really satisfying as a series finale, and probably the best thing they could have done.
The whole series is pretty funny and quite lighthearted, but there's a sense of uncertainty, throughout some moments.
I didn't expect to feel kinda emotional with the last season, but I did, and it was wonderful.

I really appreciate anything that can manage to be more than just what it sets out to be (comedies that do more than just being funny, horror that does more than just being scary, drama that does more than just being sad, etc), something that make you feel all kinds of thing, that sometimes makes you even feel a bit reflective.

Anyway, great series, it's not too long and is overall pretty charming, I'd probably watch it at least once every 4 years with no problem.
Yeah, I liked it that much, it reminds movie The Brothers Bloom, not in plot or anything, but in that it's the type of thing that I'm eager to rewatch any time, no matter what.
The pit. You know me. I'll be down front tossin' vagina boys like midgets.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:31 pm 

Watched that one last night as well. Holy shit.

Spoiler: show
Still a part of me rolls my eyes at the fact everyone seems to have an infinite ammo cheat code enabled, and also that named characters can take 10+ bullets before going down, but whatever. That was spectacular, and the ending was sheer brutality.

It's also cool to see Joe Cole in something great again. I highly recommend A Prayer Before Dawn to those who haven't seen it.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:44 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Episode 5 has the best action scene I've seen on TV. Which isn't to say it's all downhill from there as it still has a few tricks up its sleeve (keyword: Nigerians), but there's nothing else quite as visceral as that bag of grenades.

Also, the show kinda made me terrified of the Dutch. I'm on to you, henkkjelle! Others may fall for your "I'm the nicest and legitimately the most genuine person who ever logged onto a pseudonymous forum," but now I know better!

Please tell me this show is about a London gang fighting different gangs from different countries each episode in hilarious slapstick ways.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:11 am 

Well there's Albanians, Kurds, Nigerians, Irish, Black Italians, Welsh gypsies, Pakistani, Danes, London Police, British counterterrorist forces and an ambiguous shadow corporation, but the show is about as humorous as Schindler's List.

I guess if you think The Raid is slapstick, then it's slapstick.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:45 pm 

The first three eps of the new The Boys have been killer. Really feels like the show has figured itself out. The first season was good but just kinda goofy and outrageous. This one is blood curdling terrifying at times and much more sharply written.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:57 pm 

Cobra Kai deserves all the love it got, at least the first season. I'm a few episodes deep into S2 and I'm not feeling it to the same degree because it's bringing back a few too many plot points of the original movie instead of continuing on with the story set out of the first season. Still some fun performances all around and the characters are surprisingly well-rounded.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 182  Next