Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:12 pm 

http://www.mansonwiki.com/wiki/WE_ARE_CHAOS

Anyone else excited about this? I thought "Heaven Upside Down" was great, so I have high expectations for this one too. I quite like the album cover, and it's interesting to see that the album is by far the shortest he's done.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:15 pm 

The title track sounds just like a Bowie song. It's interesting, I will check it out. Much of what he has done lately hasn't done much for me, but I still always check everything he puts out.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:27 pm 

Gives me a kind of Mechanical Animal feel, and that's great in my eyes. Will definitely check it out.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:42 pm 

The only stuff I really listen to when it comes to Marilyn Manson is Mechanical Animals, Holy Wood and The Pale Emperor. For me Marilyn Manson is mostly boring and misses rather than hits. I really like the new song though. I hope this could be the fourth album of theirs that I enjoy.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:46 am 

Menson have mostly excellent looks and singles/videos, but I couldn't get into any one of their albums, they are full of boring filler tracks. That said, I like the newest single and have zero expectations for the new album itself.

By the way, Tim Sköld, their former guitarist, has a new project Not My God with Nero Bellum from Psyclon Nine. Just like with Manson, good singles, boring album.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:56 am 

Yeah that album made me pass out from boredom. It's not bad per se but waaaaaay to long and samey for its own good.
You could pick any 4 songs from it and make an EP I would listen to from time to time.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:27 am 

Heh, I personally loved the Not My God album. To each his own, I guess.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:40 am 

Yeah I mean, I should like it... all the components are there, and I listen to both Skold and Psyclon Nine otherwise, but something with that record just made my mind drift away to far more exciting stuff... like calculating taxes, going to the dentist or sorting grains of sand by size.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:27 pm 

InnesI wrote:
The only stuff I really listen to when it comes to Marilyn Manson is Mechanical Animals, Holy Wood and The Pale Emperor. For me Marilyn Manson is mostly boring and misses rather than hits. I really like the new song though. I hope this could be the fourth album of theirs that I enjoy.

I'll add Antichrist Superstar. The trilogy is pretty good: Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood. Those three albums got me into rock and metal. The Pale Emperor is decent, probably his best album post-Golden Age.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:50 pm 

I didn't like Golden Age of the Grotesque, but sadly that was also the last full concept album, and everything after that were basically regular albums with some nice tunes and some uninteresting ones and it's basically like later albums by AC/DC or Motörhead or Iron Maiden or any band that keeps going with their tried and true formula: There's nothing about it I hate or dislike and it's cool when something off it comes on the radio or in a film/TV soundtrack, but it's not something I'd actively go and choose to listen to.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:05 pm 

matras wrote:
Gives me a kind of Mechanical Animal feel, and that's great in my eyes. Will definitely check it out.

Same here, which is good as that's one of my favourite albums. I thought the last album was really disappointing, so hopefully this one is a couple of steps above that. Promising start.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:57 pm 

Is the release date deliberate? I thought he was pretty done trying to be shocking, neither the songs nor the schtick feel new anymore.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:01 am 

I don't think anyone would be shocked by it, by now Larry Silverstein has dragged absolutely everyone down to his level of caring.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

BleedingMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:48 pm 

Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals were very important albums to me as a teen - the former being my springboard into darker, more intense music. To this day, those two albums rank among my favorite and most formulative albums out there.

I've thought literally everything else that Manson has ever done was boring as hell, and this song doesn't change my opinion unfortunately - but then what did we expect from a 50 odd year old Manson?

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:24 pm 

I've heard the album once and first impressions are very good. Manson takes a softer approach this time and for me that feels like the right thing to do. It doesn't feel rehashed like some of their previous albums have.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:14 am 

Great. I hated that last album but liked The Pale Emperor. That was his strongest release in years.

~Guest 938257
Another JS Account

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:48 am 

According to the marketing copy this is Manson's stab at technical grindcore.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:04 pm 

Not really feeling this one either. I guess I'll just listen to Mechanical Albums again.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:00 am 

This album is a massive improvement on the last one, which was hugely disappointing (to put it lightly). Probably the best album since Eat Me, Drink Me (which I like quite a lot), maybe since Holy Wood.

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:30 am 

I'd say, the album is a piece of mediocre alternative rock. However, I'm actually not a big fan of MM, I just can listen to a few hits of his earlier period from time to time.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:31 am 

It was okay, but not something I'd be listening to all the time.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:01 pm 

Just gave it a spin for the first time and to me it's his best since Holy Wood. The artwork is awesome too! Non-metal AOTY so far.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:29 pm 

I've listened to Manson since elementary or middle school (usually just singles downloaded from iTunes) and have seen him live a couple times over the years but never checked out much of his discography. Since I heard good things I gave this a few listens and have to say this is the first MM album that I really fucking dig. It's *damn* good and pretty much absent of the filler that seems to accompany the full albums of his I've heard.

This feels like the album Manson's always wanted to make-- the Bowie/Cure/post-punk influence in his music feels much more in the forefront on We Are Chaos and the songwriting really benefits. Lyrically, it doesn't really feel like Manson's trying to recapture his edgelord past but instead is showcasing a much more introspective and reflective side. His voice still holds up and still sounds fucking cool. Very surprised by this one, will be playing this a lot throughout the rest of the year.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:35 am 

Reid wrote:
It's *damn* good and pretty much absent of the filler that seems to accompany the full albums of his I've heard.

Yeah, even though I like all of his albums, many of them have too many songs.

Reply to topic