Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:48 pm 

Hello.

I'm probably not the person most suitable to post about this, as I don't listen to the band in question. But does anyone know/have any info as to the true status of Absurd (Ger)? I understand they had a stable lineup up until about 2017 when a founding member (who was neither of the members in the stable lineup and who hadn't been in the band as a full member since 1999) assembled a new lineup that didn't include the other two guys.

Fast forward to 2019 and the founding member is gone again and the two mainstays from the previous lineup are back. I've since heard that the iteration fronted by the founding member was concentrating on performing some of the older material, and that the lineup with the other two long-term members was recording new material.

Does anyone know anything about the status of both lineups, or if the 2017-2019 lineup is totally done? Should Absurd be considered disputed, perhaps even before the reinstatement of the 2019-onward lineup? I note that the additional notes on their band page do mention that "As of 2019 the definite lineup is uncertain."

Thanks.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:02 pm 

Absurd's situation is indeed a weird one.
asphaalanx wrote:
But does anyone know/have any info as to the true status of Absurd (Ger)?

The current status of Absurd is active. That's quite clear.
asphaalanx wrote:
I understand they had a stable lineup up until about 2017 when a founding member (who was neither of the members in the stable lineup and who hadn't been in the band as a full member since 1999) assembled a new lineup that didn't include the other two guys.

That's not precisely correct. Absurd had disbanded in 2012 and no version of the band existed between that year and 2017. In 2017, a version led by Jarl Flagg Nidhoegg (the original drummer who played from 1992-1994, and from 1998-1999) became active and started playing live. This version of the band was active until late December 2018 at least, and then went silent. Yes, this version of the band excluded both Wolf and Unhold, who were the core band members between 1999 and 2012.
asphaalanx wrote:
Fast forward to 2019 and the founding member is gone again and the two mainstays from the previous lineup are back.

In April 2019, the Wolf/Unhold lineup, along with Gelal from GBK started recording new material. No mention or comment about whatever happened to the lineup led by JFN was made public.
asphaalanx wrote:
I've since heard that the iteration fronted by the founding member was concentrating on performing some of the older material, and that the lineup with the other two long-term members was recording new material. Does anyone know anything about the status of both lineups, or if the 2017-2019 lineup is totally done? Should Absurd be considered disputed, perhaps even before the reinstatement of the 2019-onward lineup?

There's no reason to consider Absurd disputed, since the hasn't been any indication that either version is at odds with the other or claims the other to be "bogus". Actually, band's official site run by JFN, which was used to post news and information about JFN's version of the band is also posting news and information about the Wolf/Unhold version. One site for "both versions", it'd seem. Only that the 2017 version has been totally silent.
asphaalanx wrote:
I note that the additional notes on their band page do mention that "As of 2019 the definite lineup is uncertain."

The reason for that note is that, even if we are clear as to what is the lineup of the Wolf/Unhold version, we have no idea as to whatever happened to JFN's lineup, or who is or isn't in the band.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:28 pm 

Thanks for the response!

Yes, I knew that Wolf/Unhold/Gelal are active, but that comment was more in regards to the possibility of there being two lineups. I was otherwise unaware that Wolf/Unhold went inactive after 2012, which definitely paints a fuller picture for me. I hadn't heard otherwise so was surprised when JFN was active with a new lineup.

I'd additionally seen references to things like 'the other Absurd' or 'Robber Baron Absurd' so that left me unsure if JFN's lineup was still considered active once Wolf/Unhold/Gelal began recording new material.

Thanks for clearing that up!

negromanzia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:27 am 

They don't seem in good relationship with each other...

http://weltenfeind.com/absurd

"Since we received some requests for copies of “Schwarze Bande” we have been forced to make a statement. We are not associated with Hendrix’s band, featuring him and some mercenaries
from Finland/Germany, etc. His claim to be the legit version of ABSURD by default is preposterous. He never wrote a single song for the band, nor was he our manager or whatsoever. Simply because
he was a founding member legitimizes his appropriation of the band? Wolf is also a founding member! Apart from contributing a couple of lyrics, Hendrik was no part of ABSURD since 1999, then surprising us by reforming a still existing band. Either way, we won’t carry or distribute this representation of ABSURD, nor does it affect our plans regarding upcoming releases."

Reply to topic