Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VintermaneOfficial
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:24 pm 

I noticed that this band is blacklisted, but I don't understand why it is so. Besides their influence on the early heavy metal scene, I think that the album Imaginos would be enough to sufficiently qualify as metal. Maybe our definitions of metal are different, but I personally don't see how this particular album isn't metal:

Thank you.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:28 am 

It's a somewhat heavy album, but it's not a metal album. Blue Öyster Cult is a band that's been brought up before, and none of its albums qualify. Sorry.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

randomdude411
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:40 am 

Derigin wrote:
It's a somewhat heavy album, but it's not a metal album. Blue Öyster Cult is a band that's been brought up before, and none of its albums qualify. Sorry.

LOL WHAT? This is a straight up metal/hard rock riff that balances on both. The riffing to the atmosphere, this album is what Thin Lizzy is to Thunder And Lightning. Just as much hard rock as much as there's metal in this album. Re-listen to the album and you'll see exactly what I mean. This site also has plenty of non metal bands eith no metal riffing or structure such as Rush, but this gets completely passed on like UFO, Uriah Heep, Praying Mantis, and Michael Schenker Group which are all UNDOUBTLY heavy metal through and through? Give me a fucking break. This is the most poser shit ever.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:15 am 

Good album, but I agree with derigin on it. Quite heavy as far as hard rock is concerned, but it's not up to snuff for the site's views on, if you will, metal riff predominance. BÖC is a band that has consistently flirted with metal, but never really crossed over for good. We will simply have to agree to disagree.

On another note, I have told you to read and follow the guidelines for this particular subforum once before. If anything, check your attitude and maintain a respectful tone. You've been warned.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:57 pm 

Sorry to drag this one up, but thought it better than starting a new thread. Just thinking that while I've always personally classed BOC as a hard rock band, their influence on a lot of metal acts is pretty undeniable. I personally would say if the Archives are going to include Rush and other 70s bands on the basis of their long-term influence, BOC surely also qualify for the same reasons.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:08 pm 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
Just thinking that while I've always personally classed BOC as a hard rock band, their influence on a lot of metal acts is pretty undeniable.

We accept metal bands, not hard rock bands who have influenced metal bands.
Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
I personally would say if the Archives are going to include Rush and other 70s bands on the basis of their long-term influence, BOC surely also qualify for the same reasons.

Firstly, please see our guidelines as to why comparing bands is not a good idea when trying to make a case. It's under the 4th rule.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=123865

You are actually comparing BOC to a band that many of the staff do not even consider to be metal. There's even a section about Rush in the rules:
Quote:
Mötley Crüe, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Scorpions and Rush (among a few examples) are not considered metal by some. Understandable, as their music and heaviness varied and was debatable at times. But what they sometimes lacked in "metalness", they made for in historical importance, and they are there to stay. That doesn't mean we're going to accept any glam or hippie rock bands though, and they are about as "borderline" as we are going to have.
They are exceptions. You might not agree. Tough shit.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:31 pm 

That's fine and I mostly agree, but I personally think BOC should be added to the list of exceptions mentioned above. They were a notable influence on many US bands especially, and without them you'd never get a band like Ghost (who owe a lot to them musically, at least on their first album). They weren't necessarily the heaviest band but they had a certain sinister and moody vibe and attitude to their music which I think was taken on board by metal bands especially.

Rush are grouped into the exceptions category and consequently included on the site for much the same reasons (their influence on prog metal etc).

Mind you, one could say similar things about the original Alice Cooper band. Or even KISS, at a stretch. Neither of which qualify for inclusion. Depends how influence is defined.

MadThrashingDeath666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:12 pm 

Anybody think the new album is metal enough? It had some very metal riffs in it. If Ghost is on here then Blue Oyster Cult should definitely be here.

NintenTheMetalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:24 am 

Full length here^^^

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:36 am 

Not even close.

Reply to topic