Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:57 am 

I'm an advanced noob when it comes to guitars. Meaning I know basic chords/ barre chords, but know nothing of the actual guitars. I have a pretty shitty Epiphone that cost me about 100€, and it's REALLY difficult to tune it, and to keep it in tune.

I originally only wanted it to mess around and try out song ideas, but now I've started recording via line in and it's less than ideal.

What are some decent budget options for recording via line in? Something that stays in tune. I record black metal and some other stuff as well, mainly in standard E.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:41 pm 

What is your budget, tho?

There's a lot of maintenance that can be done to a cheap guitar to get it to work much better. None of it is specialized work, it will only cost you an afternoon and some basic tools. Namely (and probably in the order you wanna do them):

Changing the tuning heads if they're too bad
Fanning if you're using single coils
Changing the plug and cables if they're in a bad state
Properly soldering all the conections
Adjusting the truss rod
Adjusting string and pickup height
Adjusting intonation
Oiling the fretboard if it's dry
Putting some good strings

With all that you can turn a secondhand strat into a great instrument. All you need to check for when buying it is that the neck is comfortable to you and that it's got somewhat decent pickups.

Last edited by coupdebleus on Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:50 pm 

Don't have any tools, but I suppose taking it to a guitar shop/ expert for said upgrades is just a valid idea as buying a new one.

I mean, I'd like for it not to cost more than 200-300€ used, but I don't know if that's feasible.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:07 pm 

Yeah, taking it to a shop will likely cost you more than it's worth. The tools themselves are cheap, all you need for most of those is a screwdriver and an allen wrench key set (you can get the cheap chinese ones). After that you can get a small solderer and some almond oil from the pharmacy for cheap if you wanna put the extra work for the electronics and hydratin'.

Depends a bit on how the market is around your place, but for that money you should be able to find a decent second hand guitar. At that price range I don't think it's worth the trouble to worry about brands; instead, I'd focus my attention on getting a guitar with the best pickups that price range will afford, but for that you should decide first for what type you'll be going.

Silan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:29 pm 

I have an Epiphone SG Special, really splurged on it long time ago, before I knew real prices of instruments. Apparently I got really lucky with it, because it has powerful output compared to many other options.
A bit off-topic, but does anyone know anything about Jack & Danny guitars? Apparently they make decent guitars, and have a really cheap option for a 7 string. I'm thinking of bouying one, but can't really find enough reviews. Or I was thinking of buying one Cort X series, really like the design. And some of them even have EMG pickups, but I'll have to save money for quite some time before I can think of getting one of those.

DrudgeDread
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:42 am 

Now if you want to keep your existing guitar, the above suggestions are great.
You will get a lot of mileage from adjusting the neck and action, oiling the fret board, sprucing up the electronics, setting the pickup height, etc.
Depending on the size of your hands and the style of music you are playing you may find other neck profiles to be more comfortable, so I would try hopping to a pawn shop or music store and playing around on a few other style guitars and see what you like if you just want to buy another one.

I'm a huge fan of the cheap Indonesian Jackson guitars. The don't break the bank, and they are incredibly stable. I've been using a Jackson JS series (JS32 DKA) for about 4 years in a variety of climates on tours and it has never given me an issue. Neck is stable, Locking nut and floyd with fine tuners (worth the money imo, once you get used to one everything else will just feel off), stock pickups sound great (I replaced em though).
The lower end Ibanez RG series guitars are also a great bang for the buck.
My personal preference on guitars is anything with a flat bridge, so Floyd-Rose style, Khaler, Hardtail, Strat-style tremolo, etc. Never been a fan of the gibson style tune-o-matic whatevers.

Reply to topic