Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:51 pm 

See my edit. He's been talking about Sturmführer ‎in DISMA interviews as far back as 2012.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:10 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
The "didn't know" argument is pretty silly here. Sturmführer's ideology is upfront. "Music videos" that are soley WWII marches etc. His public interview about wanting to meet Hitler and time travel to 1933 to enlist...

It's not like never having a conversation with a family member about a certain subject. Craig was very open about all of this during Sturmführer's first run. If something can be easily verified by a Google search, it's public knowledge. I can't Google cultofkraken's dad. :lol:

I was just sharing a personal anecdote ya dickhead. I notice you didn’t jump all over it when I shared my band experience. FYI we also didn’t go and look at each other’s previous bands either. Usually no one gives a fuck.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:22 pm 

A personal insult? Really? :lol:

Craig was talking about Sturmführer ‎IN INTERVIEWS while in Disma. Do you not pay attention to what your band mates say in interviews related to your band?

Edit: I missed this. You're telling me his band mates didn't know about this tattoo? If you've ever toured, you know it is highly unlikely they never saw it. Especially if someone random dude on the internet knows it exists. :lol:

CrippledLucifer wrote:
by the guy with a totenkopf chest tattoo.

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:13 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:

Edit: I missed this. You're telling me his band mates didn't know about this tattoo? If you've ever toured, you know it is highly unlikely they never saw it. Especially if someone random dude on the internet knows it exists. :lol:

CrippledLucifer wrote:

Maybe they thought it was a Jolly Roger and reasoned he was just really into pirates :lol:

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:40 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
A personal insult? Really? :lol:

Craig was talking about Sturmführer ‎IN INTERVIEWS while in Disma. Do you not pay attention to what your band mates say in interviews related to your band?

CrippledLucifer wrote:

I was just ribbing you with the dickhead line, jockular humour doesn’t seem to translate all that well. Nope. I didn’t even read interviews we gave! I never looked at my band mates shirtless either but usually unless it affected the band your personal shit was your own business.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:44 pm 

Let’s also not lose sight of the fact that 7-10 years ago the US was patting itself pretty hard on the back over having Obama in the Whitehouse and Nazis were not really under the microscope of the last couple years. A lot of people weren’t taking that shit as seriously as in recent years.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:05 pm 

Actually, a of the right-wing activity we are seeing now in the US started as a direct reaction to Obama in the White house. You had the rise of the Tea Party, where extremists got emboldened and found a voice, then we get Trump, where that kind of thinking is now no longer even that far out of the mainstream any more. The whole thing disgusts me honestly, but that's a whole other topic. But Absolutly, Disma did the right thing by ridding themselves of this guy.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:10 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
The "didn't know" argument is pretty silly here. Sturmführer's ideology is upfront. "Music videos" that are soley WWII marches etc. His public interview about wanting to meet Hitler and time travel to 1933 to enlist...

It's not like never having a conversation with a family member about a certain subject. Craig was very open about all of this during Sturmführer's first run. If something can be easily verified by a Google search, it's public knowledge. I can't Google cultofkraken's dad. :lol:

I don't think the band is saying they "didn't know" - I think they are saying "he told us he wasn't NS and now he's playing a nazi festival". At least from what I've read.

droneriot wrote:
I had the impression in the original thread for Disma getting kicked off that festival that most people had never heard of Sturmführer.

Hot Shower and Asgardsrei are the two big neo-nazi metal festivals in Europe these days so, when Pillard all the sudden got announced for this year's Hot Shower, it was no longer possible for the band to say he "left that scene in the past". You are right about Sturmfuhrer though - barely anyone has ever heard of that project except for NS metal dudes. The bulk of ink it got was due to Pillard joining Disma and people bringing it into the light.

That's also why Disma will never escape it. They waited so long to part ways with him that, now, AT LEAST 50% of articles about the band mention that the singer was in an NS band.

cultofkraken wrote:
Let’s also not lose sight of the fact that 7-10 years ago the US was patting itself pretty hard on the back over having Obama in the Whitehouse and Nazis were not really under the microscope of the last couple years. A lot of people weren’t taking that shit as seriously as in recent years.

Funny you mention that... I was thinking about that very topic. People are so mindblower to know that there is a huge contingency of people who still believe the fucked up shit that they always did. However, for about a decade, people acted like racism had been defeated in the US. I grew up in the Deep South so I know it still exists there and I like extreme music so I know it still exists there too. It took the complacency of the 2016 elections for these people to realize it's always been lurking around the corner! :lol:

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:15 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Actually, a of the right-wing activity we are seeing now in the US started as a direct reaction to Obama in the White house. You had the rise of the Tea Party, where extremists got emboldened and found a voice, then we get Trump, where that kind of thinking is now no longer even that far out of the mainstream any more. The whole thing disgusts me honestly, but that's a whole other topic. But Absolutly, Disma did the right thing by ridding themselves of this guy.

Yeah you’re right, but wasn’t there a lot of “there’s no more racism in America because we elected an African American President”? Attitudes going around? I mean definitely the right start radicalizing more and more but I’m thinking more so at least 10 years ago we weren’t really talking about nazis so much as just the usual racist claptrap from people who didn’t really hold any societal sway. Maybe I’m mushing my memories together. At any rate I’m not scapegoating Disma and I’d welcome some new material.

Also about Disma waiting so long. I almost feel like that band are a bunch of guys with day jobs and Disma isn’t a career band. I wouldn’t be surprised if they all just communicated sporadically and it was on hold a lot of the time. You get to a certain age and these bands don’t pay the bills. Who knows it’s all conjecture but they hardly seemed like they were putting in serious hours of recording and rehearsal to churn out new material and tour.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:36 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
I almost feel like that band are a bunch of guys with day jobs and Disma isn’t a career band.

if your death metal band is not named cannibal corpse, it's probably not gonna bring in enough money to live on

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:00 am 

joppek wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
I almost feel like that band are a bunch of guys with day jobs and Disma isn’t a career band.

if your death metal band is not named cannibal corpse, it's probably not gonna bring in enough money to live on

Agreed but I mean there are lots of bands who tour regularly. I’d say Disma is more on the “when we have time after job/family/other musical projects” spectrum.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:05 am 

MaleficDevilry wrote:

CrippledLucifer wrote:

I'd point out you can see that jolly roger tattoo literally in Pillard's profile pic at metal archives

:lol:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:26 pm 

Okay, but let's ask the real questions here; does Pillard own a MAGA hat? And if so, when was the last time he washed it?

Seriously though, I was somehow not aware of Craig's shittiness, probably because I never bothered to learn more about him than "the dude with super awesome growls who was in Incantation and that one Disma album." I always find it annoying to learn that a massively talented person also happens to be a shithead. Feels like a bit of a waste.

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:43 pm 

^^ Same here. I met the guy without knowing all of this. I even took a picture with him. I revered his work but goddamn.. Sucks to learn about all of these retarded beliefs he has. That Sturmfuhrer interview was absolutely cringy.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:26 pm 

Dont forget that he played on a great Evoken album and was in Disciples of Mockery. Dude had a lot of cred.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:31 am 

Bingewolf wrote:
Craig has always said Disma and Sturmfuhrer have nothing to do with one another and should not be thought of together at all - despite that he's in both bands - and that Sturmfuhrer was just a project testing extremity and never meant actual hate. The band has stood by him and said similar things for 8 years now.

Just like Alex Jones is only a performance artist. I wonder how actual fanbases of the two (in Pillard's case, folks into Sturmfuhrer) took those statements.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:52 pm 

Red_Death wrote:
Bingewolf wrote:
Craig has always said Disma and Sturmfuhrer have nothing to do with one another and should not be thought of together at all - despite that he's in both bands - and that Sturmfuhrer was just a project testing extremity and never meant actual hate. The band has stood by him and said similar things for 8 years now.

Just like Alex Jones is only a performance artist. I wonder how actual fanbases of the two (in Pillard's case, folks into Sturmfuhrer) took those statements.

From what I've seen, the nazi crowd still loves him... Which really should've been a sign to everyone else who let that statement slide. It's not unusual for a lot of those bands to claim this to cover their asses, albeit poorly.

How many bands over the years have we seen claim they "aren't political" yet all the members are connected to NS groups? Or labels claiming that the music is just "art"?

I'm just curious how it all went down internally. Did he tell them that he was going to play Hot Shower as Sturmfuhrer and they decided to part ways or did they wake up one morning and have an "oh, fuck" moment when they saw the news everywhere? :lol:

On the Alex Jones front... obviously, he's a conspiracy theorist but I do think that he's a bit of a performance artist too. He started out being, kind of respectable, at least when I heard of him many years ago. Then, flash forward to 2015 or so and he's screaming like a lunatic and taking his shirt off. I think there's a bit of a schtick to appeal to the people who give him all their money.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:08 pm 

Craig Pillard is back in the band and they changed the drummer. Source: http://www.dismaband.com/?page_id=52 (maximize/minimize if you can't see it)

Quote:
December 2020

Update! Disma has parted ways with drummer Craig Smilowski. We wish him well as he has personal issues to correct and had to step down.

Stepping in on drums is long time friend Chris “Warhead” Demydenko. You all know him from his current bands Abazagorath, Blasphematory and Mausoleum.

So far he is up to speed on 3 new songs that we will record for a new demo. New songs are full of heavy power! More updates coming soon!

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:16 pm 

Good lord. Did they announce Pillard returning to the band at any point, or did they think they can announce the new drummer, and then just sweep Pillard under the rug like no one would notice? They can't be THAT daft, can they?

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:30 pm 

They are attempting to play some nazi show in New Jersey called Vengeance Fest this June. So either Craig is back or the rest of the band is into that shit too. Pretty fucking dumb.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:31 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Good lord. Did they announce Pillard returning to the band at any point, or did they think they can announce the new drummer, and then just sweep Pillard under the rug like no one would notice? They can't be THAT daft, can they?

No announcement about Craig that I'm aware of.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:36 pm 

Wonder how many more t-shirts they'll pump out before releasing new music. This band is legit a clothing brand at this point. Such a waste, especially considering how much quality is to be found on Towards the Megalith. In our current political climate, I'm pretty sure that they've sunk any remaining chance of capturing what they could have been, again.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:47 pm 

flexodus wrote:
They are attempting to play some nazi show in New Jersey called Vengeance Fest this June. So either Craig is back or the rest of the band is into that shit too. Pretty fucking dumb.

Megalith was really good, but both this and Pillard being back in the band is extremely disappointing.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:56 pm 

They're booked to play at Vengeance Fest V in July, and they're one of the headliners. Intolitarian is also on the bill. Will be interesting to see if they pull out of this

Edit: I didn't read the thread, didn't realise it was old and he's now since returned. P.R. stunts much?
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:59 pm 

lol, for fuck's sake.

Well, that's certainly not subtle, is it?
Gross.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:18 am 

Surprised to see Cultus Profano in there

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:47 am 

I almost forgot about Abhomine, Proselyte Parasite Plague absolutely rips
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:59 am 

Well at least Daryl isn't in there for this open shift to Nazism so I still have plausible deniability for still being hyped for Funebrarum

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:58 am 

When you "fire" your Nazi singer for being a Nazi, and then rehire him when no one's watching, is there really any other avenue you can go down other than just open Nazism?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:17 am 

Subrick wrote:
When you "fire" your Nazi singer for being a Nazi, and then rehire him when no one's watching, is there really any other avenue you can go down other than just open Nazism?

And do it while announcing you're performing at a nazi fest. Don't forget that.

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:10 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Subrick wrote:

And do it while announcing you're performing at a nazi fest. Don't forget that.

And all this at a time the USA is in upheaval from having very recently had the Capitol stormed by, well, a mob of nazis.

(Well, to be fair, other flavors of fascist, white supremacist, white nationalist, racist and domestic terrorist were present too, I'm sure)

EldritchSun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:20 am 

The only logical conclusion is the band being at least totally OK with him being a neonazi. He has been one for a long time and the guys probably knew it all along when they hired him the first time.

I own Towards the Megalith btw, awesome album, but I won't be supporting scum any further.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:30 am 

gestapothrash wrote:

Guess Pete isn't even trying to hide it now that there's no possibility of any future Angelcorpse shows. Also, it's petty, but taking him seriously is SO much harder when you've seen him in person and realized he's barely 5'4" or some shit and has to look up to talk to you.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:35 am 

It’s always the smallest ones with the loudest bark

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:49 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
gestapothrash wrote:

Guess Pete isn't even trying to hide it now that there's no possibility of any future Angelcorpse shows. Also, it's petty, but taking him seriously is SO much harder when you've seen him in person and realized he's barely 5'4" or some shit and has to look up to talk to you.

Exterminate is still one of my favorite albums, but modern Helmkamp is... not a good look.

Spoiler: show

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:11 am 

I was also pretty amused when he was trying to smear the Pissgrave dudes and they came out on record about how much of a trainwreck Pete and his girlfriend were and how his bluster about being a conqueror was really just a ruse because he couldn't get out of his own way for anything. That was a good read.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:31 am 

Must have missed that, got a link?

Anyways, has anybody seen a statement from Nazisma about Pillard returning? Or has some metal site picked it up and started digging?

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:37 am 

andersbang wrote:

Anyways, has anybody seen a statement from Nazisma about Pillard returning? Or has some metal site picked it up and started digging?

I remember reading this on facebook years ago but Pissgrave have since deleted their FB page. I remember they said something along the lines of "this is a guy who writes books about social darwinism but can't even take care of himself", what a sick burn.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:42 am 

andersbang wrote:

Copied text: https://www.reddit.com/r/Metal/comments ... =post_body

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:08 pm 

What a fucking disappointment.

Was actually glad to see Disma part with that nazi piece of shit. Megalith was some good shit. But then they just double down with 'fuck it let's get our Nazi pal back and play this Nazi fest'? Fuck Disma.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next