Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:50 pm 

meowsophy wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/D%C3%B8dsferd/Diseased_Remnants_of_a_Dying_World/739407

I click edit ('pencil' icon), open up the song lyric textboxes ('scroll' icon) fill them up, click 'save' and it takes me back to the album page...which still shows no lyrics.

Do I lack high enough user status (ie points) to perform this act?

In that case should I just submit a report with the lyric data?

I'm not sure, but are you trying to modify the exact page you linked? Because that isn't the parent entry for the release. It could have something to do with that, although I just tried adding something to this particular version's lyrics and it worked. Could you try adding stuff to the main entry?

Your rank should be high enough and we're talking about adding new data anyway, not modifying existing data. You wouldn't be able to open the boxes like that anyway, if you didn't have access.

Kennermahn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:40 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
Kennermahn wrote:
Can downloadable singles without a unique cover be added? This artist has uploaded plenty of single songs which aren't part of any album that can be downloaded but they don't have a cover of their own or anything.

https://soundcloud.com/magnetic-ether

Thanks

Looks more like random recordings/demo tracks than actual singles, so I wouldn't add them.

Okay, thanks

meowsophy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:50 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
meowsophy wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/D%C3%B8dsferd/Diseased_Remnants_of_a_Dying_World/739407

I click edit ('pencil' icon), open up the song lyric textboxes ('scroll' icon) fill them up, click 'save' and it takes me back to the album page...which still shows no lyrics.

Do I lack high enough user status (ie points) to perform this act?

In that case should I just submit a report with the lyric data?

I'm not sure, but are you trying to modify the exact page you linked? Because that isn't the parent entry for the release. It could have something to do with that, although I just tried adding something to this particular version's lyrics and it worked. Could you try adding stuff to the main entry?

Your rank should be high enough and we're talking about adding new data anyway, not modifying existing data. You wouldn't be able to open the boxes like that anyway, if you didn't have access.

I had tried adding lyrics in the main entry too when editing the CD version didn't work. I had tried both a number of times to no avail.

Somehow though both are working for me now. I now tested the feature on a song for the parent entry for the album, and it worked...then proceeded to add the lyrics for the remaining songs in the CD version.

As for why I was editing the CD version instead of parent entry, the parent entry was for vinyl version (by same label) and I had only the CD version to myself. I figured (though chances are low in this case) the vinyl version might have some differences.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:59 am 

Dembo wrote:
But surely it's still okay to add Bandcamp links in the form of labelname.bandcamp.com/album/albumname?

Azmodes wrote:
Sure, although those particular instances should go in the "Label" tab instead of "Official". The point is to add the link to the general page, not to any album in particular, if it's run by the band.

Why under "label", Az? Should it not go under "official merch"?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:18 am 

Either works, but yeah, merch would be more accurate in this case.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:17 am 

I would suggest, that the rules for Band Appeals forum sould mention clearly and explicitly, that users should not ask about non-metal side projects and their possible inclusion and also should not propose selected non-metal exceptions, since both belongs fully in the staff's desctetion. I was always a supporter of a very strict policy regarding inclusion of non-metal stuff on the page, and the growing number of such requests in recent weeks is imo quite disturbing, to say the least. Newest example:
viewtopic.php?f=27&p=2951173&sid=8fafb16bef2d23f29daf2b46f7f3ec37#p2951173

Kennermahn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:35 pm 

What's the right way to name these digital "EPs" that are some band's side of a split? When the side doesn't have a real title I mean.

Like this one:
https://acidbacteriagrind.bandcamp.com/releases

Split with Last Days of Humanity?

Thanks

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:28 pm 

in regards to the Band BeBelzidum, I have several qustions, directed toward the staff, to avoid possible fifuture edit wars. There was never any interview online, not were there any songclips or lyrics published online. So how corrct is the claim, that it was a christian band? If I recall correctly, it wwas added without specified lyrical topics and the lyrics tag was aadded later on. If that claim was based solely on the name, tthere should be metioned the the Finnish bm band Baptism is strongly antichristian, for example. The recently aadded lyrics are very ambiguous . I hintentionally cleansed the lyrical field, to stay neutral, until more info becomes available, but it was recntly reverted back by the keeper of the " Unblack Archives" list, apparently to reflect his own listing there. He also added some info based just on rumors to the additional filed.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Belzidum/41281 chan
His Unblack Archives page for cmparison:
http://unblack-archives.blogspot.com/20 ... zidum.html

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:45 pm 

I found this band via the random band button:
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Satanic_Destructor/3540323842

Was is not the case that we add releases with the title as they are presented and not correct the spelling?
Quote:
Cover has a typo, "h" missing in Antichrist

This site has not seen an edit for quite some time.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:56 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:

Was is not the case that we add releases with the title as they are presented and not correct the spelling?
Quote:

The title should represent the actual title of the release as it's written, but if the typo is only in the cover art and written correctly on the spine and/or tracklist of the release or other official channels of the band, I think it's safe to say the typo is not part of the actual title.
In this case, since we have nothing else to go on, we have to trust the note, I guess.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:25 pm 

Kennermahn wrote:
What's the right way to name these digital "EPs" that are some band's side of a split? When the side doesn't have a real title I mean.

Like this one:
https://acidbacteriagrind.bandcamp.com/releases

Split with Last Days of Humanity?

Thanks

https://www.metal-archives.com/content/help (Adding new data, Split albums)
Quote:
For all splits, there is a small caveat about release titles. If there is no official title for the split, please do not simply title it "Split". Rather title it by the order the bands appear on the split (eg. "Agathocles / Bad Acid Trip / Disgorge", with a space between the slashes). If each band has a separate title for their side of the split, use that instead. If the split as a whole has a single title, then use that. Priority always goes to choosing the most appropriate title.

If you're thinking about adding a separate EP entry for stuff like that, please don't.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:45 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
oneyoudontknow wrote:

Quote:

The title should represent the actual title of the release as it's written, but if the typo is only in the cover art and written correctly on the spine and/or tracklist of the release or other official channels of the band, I think it's safe to say the typo is not part of the actual title.
In this case, since we have nothing else to go on, we have to trust the note, I guess.

I found a review that stresses the misspelling and does not mention any instances of "Antichrist", so it's fine to just go with "Anticrist" here. Not impossible that the spine or some other part could still have the other spelling, but in the absence of any evidence for that we can stick to what we have. I will remove the note about the typo as well; it doesn't seem all that useful and could very well be a case of someone just coming across the entry and trying to "correct" it, as opposed to referring to any artistic intentions as to the "actual" spelling (in which case we'd still go with the typo anyway, of course).

Of_This_Night36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:35 pm 

Witcher wrote:
in regards to the Band BeBelzidum, I have several qustions, directed toward the staff, to avoid possible fifuture edit wars. There was never any interview online, not were there any songclips or lyrics published online. So how corrct is the claim, that it was a christian band? If I recall correctly, it wwas added without specified lyrical topics and the lyrics tag was aadded later on. If that claim was based solely on the name, tthere should be metioned the the Finnish bm band Baptism is strongly antichristian, for example. The recently aadded lyrics are very ambiguous . I hintentionally cleansed the lyrical field, to stay neutral, until more info becomes available, but it was recntly reverted back by the keeper of the " Unblack Archives" list, apparently to reflect his own listing there. He also added some info based just on rumors to the additional filed.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Belzidum/41281 chan
His Unblack Archives page for cmparison:
http://unblack-archives.blogspot.com/20 ... zidum.html

I got a message from a moderator about this.

How two separate people managed to miss the demo scans and the lyrics on my page that is already linked above is beyond me, but anyway, refer to [this picture] and [this picture]. Both the lyrics and the notes at the top, confirm this band was Christian. If it's somehow still too vague,
1) Lyric: "Seek the emperor, seek not the lies." -- Pro-God, anti-alcoholism.
2) Lyric: "o'mightiest I am." -- "I Am" is a name used to refer to the Abrahamic God, I've never heard of another deity referred to as "I Am".
3) Band is anti-Satan.
4) Band is pro-baptism. As far as I know Islam and Judaism have [water-based] [rituals] but they're not "baptism", they're much older purification rituals from before Christ's birth. Only Christianity has baptism. Since those are the 3 Abrahamic religions... well?

Also, please don't insinuate that I "added some info based just on rumors", which implies that I added facts baselessly. I was absolutely clear on which parts have been confirmed, and which parts are rumors.
Annihilated Pentagram Productions - Kvlt unblack for dark hearts and the left-hand path, not the saved (Luke 5:32). Several releases are free download.
Christ is Lord, there is no other. 2 Peter 3:9, John 14:1-3, Revelation 20:10, Revelation 22:20

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:22 pm 

Thanks for your reply . One question remains: why even add rumors? The founding year is unconfirmed from an official source, and so is the tidbit about the band's possible return

As for doubts abou the band actually being a christian one,even one member of your own forum admitted, that christians are often verry keen on at claiming a band a"theirs" for nebulous rrreasons.
https://theblackestlight.freeforums.net ... -exist-own s .
By the way, did you hear the actual demo or found it online for offer ?

As a closing note, I have read their lyrics, and as I said , find them quite vague. But you may have different oopinion. Their constant use of words like "fucking" is not very in line with the usual language of christian bands, wven the metal ones, either.

Last edited by Witcher on Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of_This_Night36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:22 pm 

Quote:
even one member of your own forum
The Blackest Light isn't my forum. It's this guy's.
Quote:
why even add rumors?
I added them so the page was more complete, as Belzidum are a fair source of intrigue in the unblack scene. If site staff doesn't think the rumors are worth hosting, they can remove them.
Quote:
did you hear the actual demo
No.
Quote:
or found it online for offer ?
If you read the Unblack Archives page you linked, you'd see the answer to this one is, yes.
Quote:
that christians are often verry keen on at clclaiming a band a"theis" for nebulous rrreasons.
I don't understand this part.
Quote:
Their constant use of words like "fucking" is not very in line with the usual language of christian bands, wven the metal ones, either.
1) This is addressed in the demo scans.
2) Some Christians swear, I myself used "fuck" in a song.
Annihilated Pentagram Productions - Kvlt unblack for dark hearts and the left-hand path, not the saved (Luke 5:32). Several releases are free download.
Christ is Lord, there is no other. 2 Peter 3:9, John 14:1-3, Revelation 20:10, Revelation 22:20

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:20 pm 

I was referring specifically to the comment by their user Kerrick about My Silent Wake and Seregost. I think, that his expression is quite clear there.
There are also cases of bands such as DarkDark/Light Shall Prevail, who started off as antichristian project, changed their beliefs to christian and then reverted back to antichristian stance, so that also leaves much doubt. Not to speak about bands like Old path, who originally clained to be christian and then retracted that statement nand started to act as "normal" bm bands.
But in regard to Belzidum., the page can be kept as it is , unless some info dirctly ffrom band membrs appers, that would put some light on their iintentions and motivationn, but the two rumours should be excluded from the additional note imo.

One not particularly important thing , as a sidenote: Just read the lyrics to the song "Odin" by Pagan, in regards to th I am phrase in connection with a deity being exclusively christian:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Pagan/Pagan/61975

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:09 am 

Sorry if this gets asked a lot, but what should we do if two labels are equally responsible for releasing an album? How do we credit both of them? I'm trying to add this album version, not sure what to do: https://www.discogs.com/Plebeian-Grands ... se/8713053

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:56 pm 

camjr01 wrote:
Sorry if this gets asked a lot, but what should we do if two labels are equally responsible for releasing an album? How do we credit both of them? I'm trying to add this album version, not sure what to do: https://www.discogs.com/Plebeian-Grands ... se/8713053

We currently only have the option for one label, but the multi-label feature is definitely high up on our wishlist for the future.
For now just pick one label and mention the other one in the notes. You can even link to the label page there.
You can also mention the release in the label's notes. It's far from ideal, but the best solution for now.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:14 am 

Hello, are a release available only on Spotify valid to submit a band?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:52 pm 

Yes.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:32 pm 

Thanks! This is what I was looking for. This should be added to the rules for easy access.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:15 am 

So this band split up in an unknown year but later reformed to make a new EP, and I'm trying to reflect that in the band's lineup. I can't do the tilde thing like you can for the band's active years for the lineup, so it looks pretty dumb right now. Zoran Kočiš and René Lenčeš are the two members who rejoined.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Artery/3540437048

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:12 am 

As it happens, I recently talked to HellBlazer about making the ~ thing available for lineups too. He said he'd look into it. :)

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:52 pm 

Is the site time rule for submitting a band which only acceptable release is from the day it's submitted removed (which would be a good thing in my view) or are not all moderators familiar with it?

Kod Necroz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:56 pm 

Hi!

I'm a logo-artist and am wondering, is adding yourself to the line-up (Miscellaneous Staff) of the band that I've drawn a logo for considered a self-promo?
Don't want to break any rules here, so figured might as well ask.

Cheers!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:31 am 

Dembo wrote:
Is the site time rule for submitting a band which only acceptable release is from the day it's submitted removed (which would be a good thing in my view) or are not all moderators familiar with it?

Nothing has changed, so whatever you are referring to could be a mistake.

Kod Necroz wrote:
Hi!

I'm a logo-artist and am wondering, is adding yourself to the line-up (Miscellaneous Staff) of the band that I've drawn a logo for considered a self-promo?
Don't want to break any rules here, so figured might as well ask.

Cheers!

No. That's a valid credit to add.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:57 am 

Please, could it be added as a new rule to the existing set of rules for the Bands Appeals forum, that user shuld not use it to rquest an inclusinn of non-metal bands as selcted excptions/side projects?
I think, that I have already brought it up before, but such postss continue to appear, depsite being clearly said in the main rules, that that decision is sstrictly reverved to staff members only.
Example:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=130688&p=2959118#p2959118 about

I mean adding it to this set of rules:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=123865

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:03 am 

Hello, what's the consensus regarding "Accepted as digital-only"? I know that some moderators are using this feature while others are not using it. I used to report such bands for modification (if I stumble upon a physical release) then I was told not to report them anymore because this is irrelevant. So what's the deal with this feature? If this is irrelevant, why the feature is there? And if it's there for a reason, then shouldn't we report such bands? I would also suggest to make this feature visible to users, because I personally believe that this is an interesting information to know about the band.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:45 am 

It's a leftover feature from when we first started accepting bands with digital-only releases, as a way to keep track of such bands. That said, its use by mods has likely been inconsistent over the years - it's easy to forget that the checkbox exists - and the strict idea of separating digital-only bands from those with physical releases has lessened as we've moved more and more towards harmonizing our policies on distribution. It has some neat value for statistical purposes, and I know at least one mod that values it quite a bit, but it's not a particularly important feature. If a band has been added to MA, it's a safe bet that it has had a valid release, and it doesn't really matter if it was physical or digital. There is plenty of other work on MA that could use more attention.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:13 pm 

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this has already been asked before, but what's the procedure for adding the artists from an unlisted band to the split they took part in with a metal band? I know of examples where this has been done before successfully (like this), but I'm trying to get it right and don't want to get banned messing up. Just for context, I'm trying to add the lineup of the unlisted band in this split so I can then flag the additional notes to be shrunken down. Also, on the S.O.D. and Deftones split, the members of S.O.D. were displayed under the bandname "S.O.D.", but the Deftones members did not have their bandname in the lineup. Is this not a supported feature?

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:18 am 

This used to be possible, but we put a lid on that a few years back because it resulted in huge detailled artist pages for people only connected to such splits. It was felt that it's not within our scope to document artists to such an extent if the only thing they did was contribute to an unlisted band on a split. It's not 100% ideal since it kinda feels like the lineups on the release side are incomplete, but I think it's preferable to the alternative (and the lineups for listed bands are still there, of course). All instances of these you can still find are remnants from when you could still add artists in such a fashion and should be deleted.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:33 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sylvan_Realm/3540324254
Bozeman, Montana (early); Maryland (later).

He moved to Arizona. Would we add all the locations to the location field or use the additional notes, in order to prevent a cluttering of this field?

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:23 pm 

There are no clear rules on that, but I'd prefer to keep it to the current location if things go beyond (early)/(later), and let the notes explain the rest.

Bodosa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:24 am 

Is their any forum where we can send samples of bands so that we can validate if its "Metal Enough" before actually submitting??

I think that would be very beneficial for bands that are borderline?

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:33 am 

The band queue is the place where we do those checks for metalness and we won't do pre-checks on the forums or discord or where-ever.
No need to check it twice.

If you think it's metal, submit; if you don't, don't submit.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:16 pm 

I've recently glanced through the policy concerning adding an instrumental version of an album, but I can't remember what it said. Could you point me in the right direction? Not sure where to look for it.

https://eyrth.bandcamp.com/album/fracture-instrumental
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/E ... ure/945677

Quorthallis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:35 pm 

Basically, they just go to other versions of the album, not as separate entries.

Here is the more detailed version if you need it. https://www.metal-archives.com/news/view/id/274

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:32 am 

Cheers. That's what I was looking for, only I was looking for it on the forums. :S

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:52 pm 

Hello, can't we extend the "unknown" release year to the parent entry of an album? I mean it will look much better than having all the information about the album in the additional notes when only the release year is missing, especially for bands without any other releases in their discography. Furthermore, someone might just clean the information from the additional notes. If it can be done for the other versions why not also for the main one? I don't see any harm in that unless I am missing something.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:49 am 

Hello.
Could someone dig deeper into this? Something here doesn't feel right:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/K ... ble/308230
https://www.discogs.com/Kiborg-Rabble/release/3587969

The images on Discogs list a couple of musicians that were associated with that album's recording, but none of them is actually listed as a member of Kiborg. The weirdest part of this is that Pavel, the only listed member for Kiborg, isn't even listed in these credits. There could be another alias, for sure, but that's just a supposition.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next