Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:45 pm 

I believe there was a thread along the lines of this topic last year, but I didn't want to exhume a dead thread. What are some Christian Metal bands you would recommend?

I only listen to a few Christian Metal bands and can't stand any that are over preachy. Most of the ones that I listen to use mostly metaphors for God. What are some you listen to? Here are a few of mine to get it going.

Zion. A great record from them is 1989s Thunder from The Mountain. it features Rex Scott (later of X-Sinner) on vocals and guitars. Their sound is heavy on the guitars and keyboards. Guess this would be along the lines of fantasy metal, in the non Christian metal world.

Fountain of Tears. I believe this would be considered goth rock/metal. Along the lines of Lacuna Coil. Very talented band, with members of Believer and Sacrament in the band.

Believer. Technical/progressive thrash. Their release Sanity Obscure is absolutely crushing.

Possession. The first time I heard this band I was told they were Christian, but really didn't believe it. The music gives me that King Diamond vibe, like some fucked up evil is shit is going down. Maybe killing a few goats in the studio during the recording. The intro to their album Eternally Haunt, has a recording of a church service where the congregation was possessed by demons supposedly. I am not a believer in that, but it sounds fucked up just the same.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:14 pm 

While not explicitly a Christian preaching band, my project Great Cold Emptiness is very Quebec Catholic at heart, with a lot of lyrics about my heritage and faith as a Traditional Catholic

You should also check out Vials of Wrath, a label buddy of mine. Awesome Christian Black as well.

https://greatcoldemptiness.bandcamp.com ... -a-bouquet

https://vialsofwrath.bandcamp.com

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:14 pm 

Doom lends itself particularly well to Christianity. Nomad Son and Forsaken are the best straightforward examples though Veni Domine has a Queensryche meets Candlemass style that works incredibly well. Also obligatory to mention Place of Skulls as a doom group on the bluesy riff rock side of the genre.

RainyTheBusinessPerson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:20 pm 

I don't know many Christian bands, since I don't really listen to music with a overly religious connotation, if it's implied or subtle, then fine, I just don't like it when it's in your face. Anyway, I remember Antestor sounding pretty good, although I've only listened to one album by them, a really long time ago, back in 2015 or so.
The pit. You know me. I'll be down front tossin' vagina boys like midgets.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:22 pm 

^
Yeah, Antestor's The Forsaken is still a good album if you seek well produced melodic black metal. Some nice riffs, unexpected shred solos and tight skin bashing by Hellhammer.
Also If i remember well the lyrics where more introspective than preachy

Torniquet also had few enjoyable thrash albums, but i can't say they were exceptional

Last edited by ~Guest 334273 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:25 pm 

there's only one christian metal band i can think of that i like: the death/thrash incubus from the turn of the 80's/90's

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:28 pm 

Wytch Hazel's newest is excellent and their earlier stuff is good too. The lyrics are very Christian but it's just what it is. It's good stuff.

Rob Rock has a great album in Garden of Chaos for USPM freaks. It's very Jag Panzer.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:31 pm 

Maybe too preachy for you, wizard, but my absolute favorite is Lordian Guard, project of Warlord guitarist Bill Tsamis and his then wife Vidonne. Vidonne has an incredibly unique voice (the only comparison I can make is Nico of The Velvet Underground and Nico fame, but even she is not too similar). Great guitar riffs and solos from Bill, as you would expect from his work in Warlord, but also some fantastic keyboard work. These albums came out in the 90s and the keyboards he uses sound very outdated even for those days, but in his hands they are epic as all fuck.

By no means the heaviest metal band ever, but to me the two words that best describe this band are 'epic' and 'majestic'.

Spoiler: show

Another favorite of mine, already briefly discussed with OP in the Anticipated 2021 albums thread (they are working on a new album, though no timeframe has been given), Emerald, an 80s power metal band from USA. Other than a few Metal Massacre tracks, all they released was a (long -- 32 minutes according to MA) EP called Armed For Battle. Of the 6 tracks, I'd say the only one that falls below 8 out of 10 is Winds of Doom, but it's still a good song. Case of "all killer, no filler," imo. Look to the Stars is probably in my top 3 metal / power ballads of all time. This band is hugely recommended for fans of melodic heavy metal.

^^This one is darker than most of the songs, but it's too good not to share.

^^This one is more representative of their sound.

Oh yeah, also No Remorse Records reissued Armed For Battle remastered with bonus tracks in 2019.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:32 pm 

Veni Domine! First album is amazing doomy power/prog.
Not preachy at all. Old testament lyrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k_Y713i4Fc

Leviticus - The Strongest Power
Swedish metal, 1985
A bit preachy, but too good to ignore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0lapA6YjPc

Pincushion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:43 pm 

Cage
Their album "Hell Destroyer" is especially good. Sounds like Painkiller era Judas Priest.

Virgin Black
Gothic doom with overt classical influences. Their first three albums are all good.

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:49 pm 

Trouble's first two albums are very, very Christian and are also some of the most menacing, badass old-school doom metal ever released.

I'm also a fan of Theocracy, good proggy power metal.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:26 pm 

Reverorum ib malacht? Urkaos is great. Think of weird avantgarde black metal with Attila-like vocals and some Arcturus here and there.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:40 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:

Torniquet also had few enjoyable thrash albums, but i can't say they were exceptional

Seconding Tourniquet. I always felt like they were a better Anthrax instrumentally--the Christian lyrics are a bit cheesy at times, but so is a lot of thrash lyricism.

Also recommend Seventh Angel for some doomy thrash with surprisingly good lyrics.

Pylon is pretty decent Christian doom metal--Armory of God is a pretty solid album and the lyrics aren't too preachy.

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:49 pm 

Another band that I am a fan of is Paramæcium. Exhumed of the Earth is an incredible release. They are death/doom metal. I believe the guitars are three or four steps down and Jayson Sherlock (Mortification, Horde) is the drummer. I always enjoyed his style of playing and felt his playing is way above average.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:12 pm 

The Australian death metal band Discarnated released one album in 1993 called Deus Misereatur. It's nothing revelatory but a solid release IMO.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:14 pm 

Seconding Paramæcium's 'Exhumed of the Earth' album! Great doom/death metal.

Forsaken from Malta. Their three albums at least are awesome epic doom metal. If you like early Candlemass, you need these.

Incubus (later became Opprobrium) and their first two albums is what I got and they are pretty damn good thrash/death metal. As is 1st Opprobrium platter 'Discerning Forces'.

Ultimatum's 'The Mechanics of Perilous Times' do sound somewhat similar to early 1990s Overkill. They were from Albuquerque.

I happened to listen to Swedish Narnia's 'The Great Fall' the other day. I haven't got anything else (got it for a very cheap price and just gave it a try...) from them, but this is interesting progressive power metal. One of the songs was too preachy, but otherwise a dark war-themed album.

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:52 pm 

Inevitable End - Progressive grindcore / death metal

Their album The Oculus features some fucking great, dissonant, imaginative and playful grindcore. Some of their members have also played in Crimson Moonlight, which might be a more familiar name to some.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:03 pm 

Renascent - Super chunky, aggressive sounding symphonic death metal.
https://renascent.bandcamp.com/album/pr ... d-almighty

Theocracy are probably my favorite Christian band. As the World Bleeds is top tier stuff.

Idk that I'd recommend any whole albums, but Stryper have put out a few really solid heavy metal songs in their last few albums:
Let There be Light - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXmlAE1eAUU
King of Kings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0FfxOuIRMM
Fallen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBdoO1FUdng
Blood from Above - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsdTEdLHGF8

I've never been much of a Deliverance fan, but the song Annals of Subterfuge kicks ass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5VmACJZSDg

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:34 pm 

joppek wrote:
there's only one christian metal band i can think of that i like: the death/thrash incubus from the turn of the 80's/90's

Yes absolutely, the New Orleans Incubus "Serpent Temptation" album was actually one of the most brutal thrash/death metal releases in existence back in 1988 when it came out. At that time, very few metal other bands were using blast-beat drumming. I would stick with the original mix version though.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:51 pm 

Believer, Trouble, and Mortification.

Mortification may be the weaker of the three, but it is still serviceable old school death metal.

Apart from them, it's hard to get past the Christian theology. I don't want my music experience to remind me of boring ass Sunday school...takes me out of the music somewhat.

EDIT: I would also recommend Virgin Black. Great gothic doom.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:27 pm 

Being a fan of YJM and classical music I would really like to enjoy Narnia. Some of their lyrics are based off of CS Lewis fantasy novels, the rest of their music is way too preachy for me. Its a shame to. Any guitarist that can play Blackstar note for note and releases it on a record gets my respect. Just way to Christian for me.

I have not heard anyone mention Virgin Black in years. Incredible goth metal band. When I listen to any form of goth, I want a bit of sadness and darkness to be conveyed. For Christians they do a great job if conveying this through their music.

I would also recommend Rackets and Drapes. They are goth metal, but more along the lines of Manson. They created controversy back in the day when they had lyrics like I raped you. As a Christian it is frowned upon to fantasize about someone. Lyrically they said fantasizing about someone, was like raping them. Very controversial for anyone, let alone a Christian band. They dressed and sounded like early Manson. Anything by them sells for hundreds of dollars, but all of their releases are on YouTube.

Hemispheres
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:37 pm 

You may have heard of Living Sacrifice.
If you haven't...
Living Sacrifice - earlier stuff is early 90s thrash, old school death metal, and death/thrash. Mid. career they replaced their original singer and got one of their guitarists to sing. He's been the singer to this day. The post-early 90s stuff is metalcore...'Reborn' was metalcore (album was 1998? or 97? before it was called "metalcore") The Hammering Process (2000) is my favorite as the added percussionist made it pretty cool with a slight Sepultura influence (i think anyway). If you like metalcore their official 'In Finite Live' DVD from 2009 should be a real treat...if you prefer the more old school stuff where DJ was singing you can find all kinds of old early 90s videos on Youtube. If you love The Hammering Process from 2000 ... there's an upload of their homevideo "Processed" I think it's called on youtube.
Reading his books is just exhausting. Detailed descriptions can be great, but in Lord of the Rings when Tolkien takes up an entire page to tell you exactly how a tree looks... just get on with it Tolkien, you sociopath.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:49 pm 

I swear the first three Living Sacrifice albums sound exactly like a non Christian band. The first one Slayer, the second one Nonexistent sounds like Obituary and the third Reborn is Malevolent Creation. They have just enough subtle changes to make them their own. I like their first three albums quite a bit. I was never into metalcore and hated that style for the longest time. A friend took me to see All that Remains and I got hooked. I finally gave the Hammering Process a chance. It’s an incredible album. Probably in my top 20 of all time. The only Christian metal album to be in my top 20 of all time.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:58 am 

Not strictly metal (though some definite grind influence), check out Jesus Christ Posse - The Shape of Monks to Come

https://jesuschristposse.bandcamp.com

See also their follow up Fuck Armageddon...This Is JCP - https://open.spotify.com/album/5Y1aDCBq ... Mo5ZmgOysw

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:11 am 

Saviour Machine anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVtjRGQvL78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Sn_YCQvOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9aMZCkfuVk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2rrEr3q-Fw

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:00 am 

Emerald mentioned yet? Made only one EP, on which every song is great. USPM done good. One of my most played albums during the last couple of years.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:44 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Doom lends itself particularly well to Christianity. Nomad Son and Forsaken are the best straightforward examples though Veni Domine has a Queensryche meets Candlemass style that works incredibly well. Also obligatory to mention Place of Skulls as a doom group on the bluesy riff rock side of the genre.

Yes, Veni Domine is pretty cool. Haven't listened to that for a long, long time. I'll second Paramæcium too - someone mentioned them.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:49 pm 

I'm not sure if anyone brought up this band (I only skimmed through the thread), but Stryper is a great metal band. I highly recommend you check out their first two albums "Soldiers Under Command" and "To Hell with the Devil".

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:08 pm 

As previously stated, doom seems to be particularly suited to Christian themes. I've always loved Revelation, especially the debut "Salvation's Answer". There's a very deep sense of pure personal faith rather than any overt preaching - it's like a direct channel into John Brenner's internal beliefs. Although many people dislike his weak vocal style, I find it adds a sense of frailty which makes it more personal.

In contrast, I also enjoy the more bombastic and crushingly biblical sound of Griftegård. It feels like the Old Testament in sonic form.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:27 pm 

"To Hell with the Devil" is a little too glam-rockish for me, though. I prefer "Soldiers under Command" as a more pure metallic experience.

As far as doom metal goes, Count Raven were never an explicitly "Christian" band per se, but their lyrics did have oblique references to God, Christianity, and faith, and a lot of their music was really good.

Sedition and Pockets
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:52 pm 

Black Sabbath

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:54 am 

Sedition and Pockets wrote:
Black Sabbath

I was going to say that too, but that joke is getting really old.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:17 am 

HB are fun, in a sortof Christian-corsetcore / hard rock way.

This video is hilarious, too. Worth the four minutes !

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:09 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Reverorum ib malacht? Urkaos is great. Think of weird avantgarde black metal with Attila-like vocals and some Arcturus here and there.

I also like Urkaos. However I think this album was made pre-conversion (to catholic christianity) of the two band members. The lyrics are still taken from christian sources, if I remember correctly, but I think they were choosen from their previous satanic outlook on the world.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:42 pm 

I wouldn't really call Incubus/Opprobrium a Christian band, per se, as they only have about an EP worth of songs that fit that bill. Awesome band, however. Beyond the Unknown is my favorite of theirs. (By the way, The Fallen Entities, their most recent release, is fully secular, not a Christian album at all.)

Also, the Texan thrash metal band Devastation simply rules. Not really a Christian band overall, but having about an EP of songs where one could really believe they were a Christian band going by their lyrics. A few songs on their last album, Idolatry, fit this bill. Idolatry is their best album, by the way.

Avocat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:59 pm 

Wytch Hazel is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gxAM9qXZHA

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:20 pm 

If Jacobs Dream counts as a Christian metal band, I'd definitely recommend them. They are categorized under power metal on MA, but they have a progressive touch to their sound, and I've been quite fond of their 2005 album Drama of the Ages ever since I picked it up in a CD store, back when I would just go to the store spend hours looking at album artworks and listening to those who appealed to me more and make impromptu discoveries like this. The original material on there is very nice, but I also like their take on the Pachelbel Canon.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:37 pm 

Going to echo Theocracy. Definitely a high-tier power/prog metal band who happen to qualify for this thread.

I'd also like to give mention to Seventh Avenue, if you want your Christian metal to be a devotee to the altar of Helloween and Gamma Ray:

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:54 pm 

Eternal Decision is one I've listened to quite a bit. They sound similar to Testament circa Practice What You Preach at times.

Oxenkiller wrote:
As far as doom metal goes, Count Raven were never an explicitly "Christian" band per se, but their lyrics did have oblique references to God, Christianity, and faith, and a lot of their music was really good.

Same case with Trouble. They used Christian themes to have a point of difference to other bands and were never really a Christian band (though their label sure made an effort to push them as such).

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:07 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Wytch Hazel's newest is excellent and their earlier stuff is good too. The lyrics are very Christian but it's just what it is. It's good stuff.

Are Wytch Hazel actually a Christian band?

I cannot recommend Messiah enough, and it's incredible how little attention this band is given, top tier classic heavy metal here boys

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next