Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:20 am 

*suddenly Fred Durst gets his pilot’s license and takes up the sport of fencing*
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:10 am 

Thrash Metal

Pro: No other kind of music can create the energy that thrash can.
Con: It's so stale and boring most of the time.

Black Metal

Pro: The atmosphere - no other metal genre can create atmophere like black metal.
Con: the stupid "we're eviiiiil" stuff.

Folk Metal

Pro: When they use the melancolic side of folk to bring forth that unparalleled sense of mind there is nothing better.
Con: When they use the happy "humpy-dumpy" side of folk music and make it party music and a joke.

Power Metal

Pro: fun music that tries to herald positive virtues such as heroism.
Con: can be so over the top melodic that it can be hard to take seriously.

Death metal

Pro: brutal but open to experimentation.
Con: to many bands with stupid gore lyrics.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:52 pm 

Alright, so I made a joke post earlier about black metal in this thread, but I actually wanted to give this a try a little bit more seriously.

Heavy metal
Pros: With Black Sabbath pionneering both doom and heavy, this is kind of the originator and traces of it can be found all throughout metal. Very diversified genre. Ranging from epic and grandiose to melancholic and introspective. Riffing and soloing gold mine. Very important for how metal aesthetics evolved and took shape
Cons: Can be very corny. Stagnated for a while. Tons of vary samey bands with nothing to bring to the table.

Doom metal
Pros: Again, very diversified genre. With Sabbath and the stoner/doom bands you have all the bluesy stoner stuff with space and weed themes. I love this. The heavier and more ecclectic and progressive elements of the genre are also amazing, as can be seen with bands like Boris or Bongripper. It also gave birth to epic doom, that often times mixes the best elements of power and heavy metal with doom. Old timers like Candlemass or newer bands like Atlantean Kodex are very fun to listen to.
Cons: Again, tons of copycats and useless Sabbath worship bands. Stoner/doom is particularly saturated with bands who don't have anything new to bring to the table

Thrash metal
Pros: The riffs! The agression! The militant lyrics! I love all of this. Not only is thrash amazing as a genre with masterpieces of pure thrash like Rust in Peace, but it also birthed death and black metal and hybrids of thrash and black or thrash and death released some of the most amazing music there is. I'm thinking, namely about Sepultura and Pestilence here. Even as black and death evolved, thrash managed to stay be relevant by pushing the boundaries of the extreme. More recently tech thrash has been revived with acts like Vektor, and againt this is so energetic, riff heavy and altogether badass, I love it. Crossover thrash and hardcore thrash is also amazing. Power Trip kicks major asses (RIP Riley Gale)
Cons: Sadly very responsible for the inception of thrash/groove and groove metal, which are not entirely bad genre, but still have some of the worst metal music ever recorded. The big guns of the genre almost all turned to dumbed down nu-metal/groove thrash in the 90's and 2000's and almost killed the genre they gave birth to. Can be a little simplistic as a genre at times.

Death metal
Pros: My favorite subgenre of all. Riffs! Production! Agression! Growl and harsh vocals! Drums ranging from mind-blowingly fast blastbeats à la Origin, or jazzy death stuff à la Human-ITP-Symbolic era Death (RIP Sean Reinert). Rich genre that explores so many lyrical themes, so many aesthetics, and probably the genre that is the most diverse in terms of using the production creatively. Be it old-school or modern, with focus on technicality, brutality or melodicity, this genre branched out so much and so well. It still fascinates me to this day.
Cons: The genre kind of stagnated in the mid 2000's and up to the mid 2010's with bands focusing too heavily on wanky technical leads rather than riffing, but with the OSDM revival movement, this point is almost moot as the genre is still amazing now. Slam death is pure fucking garbage though. BDM also suffers from it's clichés, namely in the extreme mysoginy found in the lyrics of some bands.

Black metal
Pros: Also a very diverse and influential genre. Riffing is important, but not as much as atmosphere. The grittyness, the production value, the shrieked vocals, the tremolo picking, are all important aspects of the music. Along with death metal, black metal is one of the genre that explored the most production as part of the creative process. Sometimes it backfires, but it's also one of the main appeals of the genre. It's a very introspective genre in many ways, namely within the USBM scene and the atmospheric black metal scene. I also love how the themes range from satanism, evil, dark twisted sexuality to nature, mysticism and paganism. Black/folk and avant-garde black are also subsubgenres that are extremely creative and interesting
Cons: A lot of shitty human beings in the scene, both among the musicians and the crowd. Shade or flatout despicable political ideologies. A genre that is also very saturated by bad copycat bands who try to ape Darkthrone and Burzum a little too much for their own good. There's a lot of very bad music within the DSBM subgenre, and beyond the terrible politics, there's a ton of bad music in the NSBM subsubgenre. I love the corpsepaints, armors, grim aesthetics, but bands who take themselves a little too seriously when doing these are ridiculous. A good example of how to use these and still be cool AF, is Immortal.

Power metal
Pros: Loads of uplifting, catchy and epic music. Good soloing. Loads of great vocalists. And when the music doesn't take itself too seriously or when it embraces the clichés and the goofyness, it can be loads of fun. I'm especially fond of bands like DragonForce, early Edguy and early Avantasia.
Cons: Tons of boring copycats and bands who take themselves too seriously when writing goofy and cheesy lyrics. Can be extremely lackluster in the riffing department.

Folk metal
Pros: A subgenre I often like to split into. One of them is more epic and often closer to melodic death metal in it's style. While the other is often more melancholic and closer to black metal. Both are very interesting as one focuses on powerful, epic and fast music, while the other is more focused on mixing traditionnal folk instrumentation, pagan themes and often times incorporates neofolk elements to a more black metal sound. Very rich and interesting if done well. The traditionnal instruments can really bring the music to a new level, and the music that comes out of this genre is very spiritual, introspective, and when it focuses on nature, it can be down right sublime.
Cons: Can be a little too much when the traditionnal instruments replace the guitars or drums, or when the music gets too corny.

Progressive metal
Pros: Intricate and intellectually stimulating music. Quality musicianship. A genre of it's own, but that can mix well with others, namely death or power metal. Longer tracks or epics can be absolutely phenomenal when done right. I'm quite fond of Symphony X's exploration of greek mythology in their earlier releases and up to Paradise Lost, on which they explored christian mythos pretty well. Dream Theater also have very oneiric themes or real life personnal themes, that can lead the listener into this very immersive and introspective state while intricate music surrounds them.
Cons: Loses it's appeal when it focuses too much on wanky technical stuff rather than the progressive elements.

Kennermahn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:19 pm 

Heavy metal

Pros: pretty catchy

Power Metal

Pros: it's sometimes very catchy

Cons: kinda cheesy at times I guess

Thrash Metal

Pros: it was heavy enough but just the right amount to become a major commercial force back in the day (to a degree, you know)

Cons: idk, I guess I'm not very interested in newer thrash bands

Doom Metal

Pros: very catchy when the riffs are well made

Cons: it's hard to make memorable riffs I guess

Death Metal

Pros: it's catchy in its own way

Cons: I guess I'm not very much into newer bands.

Black Metal

Pros: some riffs are very cool and catchy

Cons: the fanbase is notoriously weird or whatever (not everyone of course). I generally donb't care for newer black metal.

Grindcore

Pros: I really like it

Metalcore

Pros: can be catchy in its own way

Cons: idk, it's a bit cringe at times?

Nu Metal

Pros: the swag

Cons: sometimes the lyrics are very cringe, but I don't care a lot about that anyway.

Glam Metal

Pros: it's fun, I guess...

Cons: I'm not very much into hard rock

Industrial Metal

Pros: it's catchy sometimes

Slater922 wrote:
Cons: Some of it is cheesy 90s crap

Gothic Metal

Pros: I like a lot some songs

Cons: with some of the fans you're like "she's in love with herself, she likes the dark, on her milk-white neck, the Devil's mark"

Goregrind

Pros: it can be cool, but I guess I like "general" grindcore better

Slater922 wrote:
Cons: Graphic album covers can throw people off

Post-Metal

Slater922 wrote:
Pros: Offers some pretty melodic riffs

Cons: A lot of cringy hipster bands in the post-black metal scene

Folk Metal

Slater922 wrote:
Pros: Focuses on various traditions and have some unique riffs

Cons: Some subgenres like Pirate Metal is just too cringy and childish

Any Metal that Involves Politics

Pros: the lyrics make it sound more "grounded" than non-political bands, although I care rather little about lyrics

Cons: some of the "politics" you can find out there are complete shit (chiefly nazi stuff, of course)

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:27 pm 

Opus wrote:
I like what I like, I take the cons with the pros.
The only genre this applies to for me is hard rock of the AOR variety.
Pro: The smooth yet heavy sound. Fantastic singers. The hooks! The hooks!
Con: The lyrics. I can not stand the typical "I need you baby, don't leave me baby". I just can not listen to it.

Here it is done right, and I love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPEG3uzJSeA

It's great to know that there are people who feel comfortable with all (well, almost) of their favorite subgenres of music. :)

I can't say the same about all of those metal subgenres that I listen to (for example, I like many black and death metal albums because the music on those albums is very dark and atmospheric, and there are very impressive harsh vocals + some interesting and relatively accessible lyrics on many of them, and some of those albums are my all-time favorites, but there are also too many black and death metal bands/albums where artists' views and/or lyrical themes/imagery are way too extreme and hateful/disturbing for me and I cannot listen to them at all because I am not able to separate the music and vocals from that artists' personal views/lyrics+message/imagery), but at least I can say that atmospheric/melodic doom and doom/death metal are those subgenres that I definitely can accept and love with all of their ''pros and cons''. :)

Ok, pros: If you are a huge fan of albums with harsh vocals (especially growls), or albums that have both harsh and clean vocals + heaviness in metal music, but you feel that most metal subgenres that have harsh vocals are too extreme for you, then you should give some atmospheric/melodic doom and doom/death metal albums a try. In my opinion, they are one of the most accessible subgenres that have many albums with great harsh vocals, heavy-sounding music, and amazing atmosphere/melodies that can be sad/quite dark, beautiful, and soothing at the same time.

As for the cons of these subgenres, - well, if you're a huge fan of diversity and progressive/experimental approaches in music, or if you prefer more energetic/uplifting music, then the vast majority of albums from these subgenres of doom metal music may be way too boring/simple/repetitive/monotonous/depressing for you.

There are also certain kinds of very sad/depressing lyrics that are typical for these doom metal subgenres and that can be too exhausting, emotionally.
(For example, there are many atmospheric/melodic doom and doom/death metal albums that have beautiful and sad/calm autumn-inspired music and atmosphere that can be very relaxing/soothing and enjoyable, but when it comes to lyrics, most of them have an emphasis on some very personal thoughts and feelings (about loss, grief, depression, despair, etc.), and there are almost no albums that have some neutral/relatively positive lyrics with nature-inspired descriptions of autumn landscapes)
On the other hand, sometimes this kind of very emotional and personal lyrics can be a big plus because you can listen to it when you need an emotional outlet.

Last edited by sjal on Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:52 pm 

I love how Kennermahn quotes some of my pros/cons on his list :lol: . But as for this:

Kennermahn wrote:
Nu Metal

:scratch: :nono:

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:56 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
I love how Kennermahn quotes some of my pros/cons on his list :lol: . But as for this:

Kennermahn wrote:
Nu Metal

:scratch: :nono:

Pros: makes me jump da fuck up.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:07 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Have you actually met someone who considered Limp Bizkit "kickass metal"? Because if so, I hope they got a good dose of some Slayer later on in life.

Unfortunately, yeah. All the skateboarder kids, in my year, at elementary school, thought that. To be fair, this was the days of dial up, and I don’t think Napster was around yet, but they were completely ignorant, of the most obligatory skateboarding music, like Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies, fucking Slayer, and Kyuss. Limp Bizkit sounds awful and lazy, and the vocalist didn’t help, but the other band they were really into, and thought was the toughest, and most blasphemous music, was Blink 182, who I now, actually like. I didn’t even know anything about music, until high school, but the way they talked about Blink 182, I would’ve assumed that they were like GG Allin, or something.

I know it’s unfair, to complain about people so young being so stupid, as I was also pretty stupid, but the difference is, I changed. Every wannabe tough guy douche I meet these days(my workplace has high turnover), thinks that mall music is the toughest shit ever(or they listen to radio rap, or even worse “hick hop.”). It’s just annoying that media don’t have an fucking clue of what the heavy metal genre actually is.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Invocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:17 pm 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
5. Black metal

Pro: Very gnarly and sinister; no music is as evil as this

Con: Aside from the controversial Norwegian scene in the 90s, this is probably not so appealing to most people, usually instrumentals are just random nonsense

Slater922 wrote:
Black Metal

Pros: Very lo-fi and atmospheric; produced some of my favorite metal music of all time

Cons: Bad fanbase, NSBM, and VARG-MOTHERFLIPPING-VIKERNES!!!

HeavenDuff wrote:
Black metal

Pros: The music

Cons: Fanbase and musicians are mostly human garbage.

Unorthodox wrote:
5. Black metal

Pro: It can hit so many emotions for such an extreme genre, especially compared to a genre like death or thrash metal.

Con: General inceldom

gestapothrash wrote:
Black Metal

Pros: Purely evil sounding shit, very inaccessible for the faint-hearted, Black/Death, Bestial Black, War Metal, and also Atmospheric sounding stuff. (Darkthrone, Mayhem, Emperor, Bathory, Blasphemy, Archgoat, Proclamation, Revenge, Conqueror, Bestial Warlust, Hate Forest, Death Worship, Beherit, Black Witchery, Nyogthaeblisz, Profanatica, Kapala, Human Agony, Abysmal Lord, Nokturnal Mortum)

Cons: Cringey fanbase, "friendly black metal", Epic black metal (Summoning, Anaal Nathrakh, Mgla, Watain, Behemoth, Oranssi Pazuzu, Dark Funeral, Wolves in the Throne Room)

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Black metal
Pro:by far, more creative than death metal, broader range of emotions, and despite its intolerant reputation, more prone to making great genre hybrid creations(black death, melodic black, atmospheric, black thrash, does the post and shoegaze thing pretty well). Does atmosphere way better than death metal.
Con: Inceldom. Keyboard warrior fascists. Get a job, stop ripping off the taxpayer, while claiming to be an “independent lone wolf”(real wolves hunt in groups, and you need society, for welfare checks, video games, and furry suits). Unlike death metal, it’s far less creative lyrically.

MDL wrote:
Black Metal

Pros: Great music, either it be pure BM or mixed with other genres or by having a different approach to it (symphonic, melodic, atmospheric, ambient, depressive, post-black metal, amongst others).

Cons: Some of its fanbase, by its musical elitism, political/ideological extremism and militantism. Also, all that anti-religious and/or misunderstood Satanism/Nietzschism verbiage that black metallers like to enforce, either on their music, or in their inter-human relatioships.

Inkshooter wrote:
Black metal:
Pros- Easily my favorite subgenre of metal. I adore its rawness, its ferocity, but also its beauty and artfulness. I don't think there's a subgenre with a bigger scope and variety of different sounds, moods, and aesthetic sensibilities. I also love the DIY, lo-fi approach a lot of bands take.

Cons- Dumbass troglodyte fans that worship the ground that Varg Vikernes walks on. Nazis and their shitheaded ilk are significantly more commonplace in black metal than other genres, which is irritating to deal with. The self-important thespianism in the subgenre can be a bit grating at times.

Kennermahn wrote:
Black Metal

Cons: the fanbase is notoriously weird or whatever (not everyone of course). I generally donb't care for newer black metal.

Wow. Just wow. Actual metalheads(?) posted these things on a metal forum. These are the sorts of comments I would have expected from clueless hipsters or people that know nothing about metal. Amazingly embarassing posts guys.

HeavenDuff wrote:

Black metal
Pros: Also a very diverse and influential genre. Riffing is important, but not as much as atmosphere. The grittyness, the production value, the shrieked vocals, the tremolo picking, are all important aspects of the music. Along with death metal, black metal is one of the genre that explored the most production as part of the creative process. Sometimes it backfires, but it's also one of the main appeals of the genre. It's a very introspective genre in many ways, namely within the USBM scene and the atmospheric black metal scene. I also love how the themes range from satanism, evil, dark twisted sexuality to nature, mysticism and paganism. Black/folk and avant-garde black are also subsubgenres that are extremely creative and interesting
Cons: A lot of shitty human beings in the scene, both among the musicians and the crowd. Shade or flatout despicable political ideologies. A genre that is also very saturated by bad copycat bands who try to ape Darkthrone and Burzum a little too much for their own good. There's a lot of very bad music within the DSBM subgenre, and beyond the terrible politics, there's a ton of bad music in the NSBM subsubgenre. I love the corpsepaints, armors, grim aesthetics, but bands who take themselves a little too seriously when doing these are ridiculous. A good example of how to use these and still be cool AF, is Immortal.

Ah yes, because black metal would be far cooler and easier to take seriously if every band was more like Immortal. Are you really incapable of enjoying art made earnestly, rather than with a layer of blatant irony?

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:55 pm 

Invocation wrote:
yungstirjoey666 wrote:
5. Black metal

Con: Aside from the controversial Norwegian scene in the 90s, this is probably not so appealing to most people, usually instrumentals are just random nonsense

Slater922 wrote:
Black Metal

Pros: Very lo-fi and atmospheric; produced some of my favorite metal music of all time

HeavenDuff wrote:
Black metal

Unorthodox wrote:
5. Black metal

Pro: It can hit so many emotions for such an extreme genre, especially compared to a genre like death or thrash metal.

gestapothrash wrote:
Black Metal

Pros: Purely evil sounding shit, very inaccessible for the faint-hearted, Black/Death, Bestial Black, War Metal, and also Atmospheric sounding stuff. (Darkthrone, Mayhem, Emperor, Bathory, Blasphemy, Archgoat, Proclamation, Revenge, Conqueror, Bestial Warlust, Hate Forest, Death Worship, Beherit, Black Witchery, Nyogthaeblisz, Profanatica, Kapala, Human Agony, Abysmal Lord, Nokturnal Mortum)

Cons: Cringey fanbase, "friendly black metal", Epic black metal (Summoning, Anaal Nathrakh, Mgla, Watain, Behemoth, Oranssi Pazuzu, Dark Funeral, Wolves in the Throne Room)

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Black metal
Pro:by far, more creative than death metal, broader range of emotions, and despite its intolerant reputation, more prone to making great genre hybrid creations(black death, melodic black, atmospheric, black thrash, does the post and shoegaze thing pretty well). Does atmosphere way better than death metal.
Con: Inceldom. Keyboard warrior fascists. Get a job, stop ripping off the taxpayer, while claiming to be an “independent lone wolf”(real wolves hunt in groups, and you need society, for welfare checks, video games, and furry suits). Unlike death metal, it’s far less creative lyrically.

MDL wrote:
Black Metal

Pros: Great music, either it be pure BM or mixed with other genres or by having a different approach to it (symphonic, melodic, atmospheric, ambient, depressive, post-black metal, amongst others).

Cons: Some of its fanbase, by its musical elitism, political/ideological extremism and militantism. Also, all that anti-religious and/or misunderstood Satanism/Nietzschism verbiage that black metallers like to enforce, either on their music, or in their inter-human relatioships.

Inkshooter wrote:
Black metal:
Pros- Easily my favorite subgenre of metal. I adore its rawness, its ferocity, but also its beauty and artfulness. I don't think there's a subgenre with a bigger scope and variety of different sounds, moods, and aesthetic sensibilities. I also love the DIY, lo-fi approach a lot of bands take.

Cons- Dumbass troglodyte fans that worship the ground that Varg Vikernes walks on. Nazis and their shitheaded ilk are significantly more commonplace in black metal than other genres, which is irritating to deal with. The self-important thespianism in the subgenre can be a bit grating at times.

Kennermahn wrote:
Black Metal

Wow. Just wow. Actual metalheads(?) posted these things on a metal forum. These are the sorts of comments I would have expected from clueless hipsters or people that know nothing about metal. Amazingly embarassing posts guys.

HeavenDuff wrote:

Black metal

Ah yes, because black metal would be far cooler and easier to take seriously if every band was more like Immortal. Are you really incapable of enjoying art made earnestly, rather than with a layer of blatant irony?

Am I the only one seeing the irony of you getting salty, and in the same process identifying yourself as the "cringy BM incel" that we all described?

Please BM master, educate us on how to be a real heavy metal fan
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:13 pm 

gestapothrash wrote:
Invocation wrote:
yungstirjoey666 wrote:
5. Black metal

Slater922 wrote:
Black Metal

HeavenDuff wrote:
Black metal

Unorthodox wrote:
5. Black metal

gestapothrash wrote:
Black Metal

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Black metal

MDL wrote:
Black Metal

Inkshooter wrote:
Black metal:

Kennermahn wrote:
Black Metal

HeavenDuff wrote:

Black metal

Am I the only one seeing the irony of you getting salty, and in the same process identifying yourself as the "cringy BM incel" that we all described?

He probably wants us to burn down churches and exploit a band member's death for money in order to prove we're tRvE NoRwEgIaN BlAcK MeTaLhEaDs!

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:36 pm 

Invocation wrote:

People like you are the reason I will eternally stan HHH and "friendly black metal" bands, you guys are so easy and fun to humiliate

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:28 pm 

Invocation wrote:

It's not the 90s anymore, shithead.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:57 pm 

Invocation wrote:
Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Black metal

Lol. “Clueless hipsters,” “who know nothing about metal,” are the reason that the second wave is so popular, and people don’t care as much about Sabbat, Sarcófago, or anything else that isn’t a direct descendant of Burzum and Darkthrone(you can thank vice “documentaries” for this). Hipsters, and edgelords, are the ones who masturbate to the “true evil.” For everyone else, it’s not meant to be taken literally, unless they’re stupid.

The genre just happens to have a bigger share of idiots. Doesn’t mean it’s an unworthy genre of music. I wrote what I wrote because I know about it. Sludge metal band Seven Sisters of Sleep broke up, after one of them got caught with child porn. Black metal band Inquisition denied having it, even though the county court website shows that he had a hard drive of it. And the edgelords supposedly made his new album’s first pressing sell out. Combine scumfuck shit behavior, at a higher rate than other genres, with a fanbase that at best, can’t separate fantasy from reality, and at worse, are actual pieces of shit, and yeah, don’t be surprised people are going to hate some of it.

I notice you didn’t put the positive parts, praising the musical techniques, in bold font.
-John Gallagher

Invocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:13 am 

gestapothrash wrote:

Thinking it's ridiculous that people think black metal fans are all cringy incels means I must be a cringy incel myself? That's some excellent circular logic you have there.

gestapothrash wrote:

There's no need to be so childish. I just think it's bizarre seeing metalheads stereotyping and trashing a whole subgenre's fanbase given that I'm sure most of you would be unimpressed if you saw similar rhetoric being applied by people outside the scene towards metal and metal fans as a whole. Plenty of people in wider society do have some pretty dumb ideas about what the metal scene is like and think that all metal fans are "cringy" or "human garbage".

TheLoneForest wrote:
People like you are the reason I will eternally stan HHH and "friendly black metal" bands, you guys are so easy and fun to humiliate

HHH is pretty good at embarrassing themselves with their ridiculous manifestos and awkward interviews. More seriously, it's odd that you have an interest in "humiliating" strangers you've never met, just because of their taste in music. What's going on in your life that you need to feel better by imagining that some black metal fan somewhere is being humiliated? Is it a sexual thing for you?

Inkshooter wrote:
Invocation wrote:

It's not the 90s anymore, shithead.

I could say the same to people whinging about black metallers all supposedly being "cringy", "human garbage", "notoriously weird" or "incels".

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Lol. “Clueless hipsters,” “who know nothing about metal,” are the reason that the second wave is so popular, and people don’t care as much about Sabbat, Sarcófago, or anything else that isn’t a direct descendant of Burzum and Darkthrone(you can thank vice “documentaries” for this). Hipsters, and edgelords, are the ones who masturbate to the “true evil.” For everyone else, it’s not meant to be taken literally, unless they’re stupid.

I have no idea what you're talking about because Sabbat are a very popular band and Sarcófago are obviously legendary. If people only care about Burzum and Darkthrone ripoffs then why are Blasphemy, Beherit and Rotting Christ so iconic? The whole war metal scene is barely influenced by the Nordic bands at all.

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
The genre just happens to have a bigger share of idiots. Doesn’t mean it’s an unworthy genre of music. I wrote what I wrote because I know about it. Sludge metal band Seven Sisters of Sleep broke up, after one of them got caught with child porn. Black metal band Inquisition denied having it, even though the county court website shows that he had a hard drive of it. And the edgelords supposedly made his new album’s first pressing sell out. Combine scumfuck shit behavior, at a higher rate than other genres, with a fanbase that at best, can’t separate fantasy from reality, and at worse, are actual pieces of shit, and yeah, don’t be surprised people are going to hate some of it.

:roll: So some idiots buying the new Inquisition album means the black metal fanbase in general is made up of the delusional and the unacceptable?

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:17 am 

I don’t give a fuck about being stereotyped, but you clearly have a chip on your shoulder if you’re getting that salty

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:51 am 

gestapothrash wrote:
I don’t give a fuck about being stereotyped, but you clearly have a chip on your shoulder if you’re getting that salty

Salty or not, I would agree with him. Those pros and cons are cringy as hell and would be more expected by someone who just discovered there is black metal in the world but wouldn't know what to do with that information except screaming EVIL EVIL in the streets.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:10 pm 

1. Heavy metal
Pros: Diverse range of bands, styles and scenes. Manilla Road and Brocas Helm exist.
Cons: Pretty stagnant and most attempts to revive the genre have been a little embarrassing.

2. Power metal
Pros: Great solos, vocals are some of the best in metal.
Cons: I generally dislike power metal. It's just not my preferred flavour of cheese.

3. Thrash metal
Pros: Love the riffs and the song structures.
Cons: Retro-thrash is god-awful.

4. Black metal
Pros: Very diverse sonically, love the aesthetic.
Cons: Fandom exports more salt than Anglesey.

5. Death metal
Pros: Arguably the best riffs, drumming is fantastic.
Cons: Bland production.

6. Doom metal
Pros: Good balance of riffs and atmosphere, scene is very friendly.
Cons: Waaaaaaaay too many stoner doom bands ripping off 'Sabbath.

7. Groove metal
Pros: Energetic and fun.
Cons: Inconsistent, never really went anywhere sonically.

8. Grindcore
Pros: Blends well with other genres.
Cons: Lots of very lazy, interchangeable bands.

9. Progressive metal
Pros: Technically proficient, some bands even know how to write songs! I appreciate the use of odd time signatures.
Cons: Riffs can be very boring. Even the bigger bands can sometimes sound alike.

10. Nu metal
Pros: Bands basically all sound totally different.
Cons: Bands basically all sound terrible.

11. Post-metal
Pros: Heavy as fuck, lots of emphasis on sounding different. Can sound raw and emotional without sacrificing technical ability.
Cons: Skinny-jeans.

12. Folk metal
Pros: Arguably the best melodies of any sub-genre.
Cons: All those melodies were lifted from centuries old folk tunes.

13. Drone metal
Pros: Strangely moving, great tones, totally unique among metal sub-genres.
Cons: Absolutely impenetrable for newcomers.

Those last few were total cop-outs but I had a good laugh writing them.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:58 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
King_of_Arnor wrote:
Metalcore + Mallcore
Pros: They're where people with no real understanding of actual extreme metal get filtered to. If you do know what extreme metal sounds like though, you won't ever have to go back to unironically enjoying them.
Cons: They're being marketed as real metal thereby misleading a ton of newcomers trying to get into the wider genre. (proof of this today is that "kickass metal" Spotify playlist that features literally nothing but metalcore and is the most followed "metal" playlist - even the "metal essential" playlist I'd say is about half metalcore/mallcore, didn't know 'Break Stuff' was a bona fide metal classic)

This is highly concerning. This is why we need elitism, and to spread true metal propaganda. I, personally, have no problem considering Slipknot metal, and good. But Limp Bizkit, as “kickass metal?” They aren’t kickass anything. They need some quality control. Sounds like some pay to play garbage.

I don't mind a little gatekeeping in the community, especially with people labeling bands like AC/DC, Linkin Park, or Evanescence as "metal" (I cringe when they do that). However, the gatekeeping can go too far at times, such as when that one Tiktok girl was slammed by incel elitists in the comment section for wearing a Metallica shirt, so she played some amazing Metallica shreds and riffs at the haters.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:38 pm 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
King_of_Arnor wrote:
Metalcore + Mallcore
Pros: They're where people with no real understanding of actual extreme metal get filtered to. If you do know what extreme metal sounds like though, you won't ever have to go back to unironically enjoying them.
Cons: They're being marketed as real metal thereby misleading a ton of newcomers trying to get into the wider genre. (proof of this today is that "kickass metal" Spotify playlist that features literally nothing but metalcore and is the most followed "metal" playlist - even the "metal essential" playlist I'd say is about half metalcore/mallcore, didn't know 'Break Stuff' was a bona fide metal classic)

This is highly concerning. This is why we need elitism, and to spread true metal propaganda. I, personally, have no problem considering Slipknot metal, and good. But Limp Bizkit, as “kickass metal?” They aren’t kickass anything. They need some quality control. Sounds like some pay to play garbage.

I don't mind a little gatekeeping in the community, especially with people labeling bands like AC/DC, Linkin Park, or Evanescence as "metal" (I cringe when they do that). However, the gatekeeping can go too far at times, such as when that one Tiktok girl was slammed by incel elitists in the comment section for wearing a Metallica shirt, so she played some amazing Metallica shreds and riffs at the haters.

Can you post the video where the Tiktok girl plays Metallica riffs? I'm actually curious about that!

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:40 pm 

Yeah, I agree, it can go way too far(see: what people wrote about black metal). No one should be given the “name 3 songs” treatment, which is usually based on prejudice and stereotyping. If non-metal artists play on majority metal shows, that’s fine. Metal’s not necessarily inherently superior. It’s just that normies could use some basic musical education, and could stop using “metal,” as a stand in for “don’t fuck with me bro! I go to the gym once a months, do quarter squats, and spotter-assisted bench, and I have barbed wire tribal armbands, and monster energy drink green rims on my car! I am the top sniper in the US armed forces I’ve never been a member of!”
-John Gallagher

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:02 pm 

Here is the video of the Tiktok girl slamming the elitists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYit1ub ... ertainment

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:26 pm 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
Here is the video of the Tiktok girl slamming the elitists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYit1ub ... ertainment

Thanks man. Those riff covers were actually really cool! :headbang:

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:26 pm 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:

What's that, Metallica fans elitists?

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:30 am 

Aldrahn333 wrote:
yungstirjoey666 wrote:

What's that, Metallica fans elitists?

They're not your typical metal elitist, but they are the type of people who complain about non-fans wearing t-shirts of their favorite rock band (eg. Misfits, Nirvana, The Who, Metallica) as if it's some sort of cultural appropriation

Both are cringe and are part of the reason why the metal community receives a bad reputation

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:21 pm 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
11. Post metal

Pro: Neurosis. Some Isis. Dynamics can be interesting.

Con: At the latest Rough Trade curated festival in a Butlins holiday park in winter, pretentiously stroking your goatee while sipping your vegan latte and surveying yet another Isis/Pelican clone band playing 'atmospheric' 15 minute songs which are even more pretentious than yourself and have no memorable riffs to speak of or indeed any velocity or interest to them at all. As you stand there totally still (because you're too hip and cool to headbang, except ironically) you feel yourself elevating to a more superior and higher plane as you over intellectualise your reactions to the aural wallpaper emnating from the stage. Because simple joyful and free response to the music just isn't the way to go about things, no not at all, you think, as you adopt a studious pose and 'analyse' the 'intelligent' and 'epic' 'soundscapes', while mentally thinking about how you'll prepare that 10/10 review for the next issue of Pitchfork. Afterwards, why not go and 'semi-ironically' enjoy some traditional metal, with your new 'open minded' studied attitude? Oh hang on, there's a cute chick with librarian glasses in the front row.

This has got to be the best rant I have heard about pretentious hipsters ever! Way to go!

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:41 pm 

Oh boy let's go... I will mainly cover the genres I most listen to.

-Power metal :

Pros : A lot of fast paced songs and harmonic solos. Speed and intensity and throw some sick ballads in there

Cons : Frodo Baggins dick riding apes that play sped up Atari drums and sing like a child in the opera...

-Death metal :

Pros : Amazing song structure, low tuned guitars and growls, sick drumming and even some melody.

Cons : The barrages of bands that just show off the scales they learnt in their 7th year on Berkley. Bland compositions with absolutely no hesitation of NOT sounding like the next band. Why do some people even bother? Braindrill are a prime example.

-Black metal :

Pros : My favorite style of heavy metal. From dissonant riffs and melodies, to blast beats that take you to the MOUNTAINS OF OLD UGH FUCK YEAH, to the depressing, wrist cutting emptiness - see Lifelover. The genre that brought us Bathory the best heavy metal band of all. The genre that I hear and put on my glasses put off my clothes and embarrass myself in front of my girlfriend while Abbath walking. Black metal became my go to when I was studying for university. Black metal got me to engineering dude!

Cons : Do I even need to mention? The CUNTS that have invaded the scene. On the one hand the online "tough guys" "srs bussiness" neo Nazis who think that ranting about "trve black metal" on the nets and how "Facebook is liberal sjw shit because me cannot post Burzum". The people who literally defended Dagon because black metal apparently needs to be offensive :durr: :brick: Yeah I didn't know that I had to support someone who needs them toddlers for his meat to stand up and shout in order to be considered "trve'. A bowl of NSBM bands that consist of 4chan or Hiddenlol users - names vary from "SS KILL ANNA FRANK 88" to "TOTENKAMPF PAGAN WARRIOR LIBTARD SOY DESTROYER 14/88" who play the same riffs over and over while hailing to their pagan brothers; HITLER DID NOT EVEN LIKED RELIGION YOU MORONS! Piss off. On the other hand the passengers. The intellectuals of Coachella who thought that it would be a good idea to be extra quirky and pretentious for once and mix "extreme black metal" with "post rock". Like what the actual fuck?

-Heavy metal :

Pros : Where would we be without it? Essential as fuck and a lot of great bands even today!

Cons : Gets harder and harder to find good stuff as time progresses. I think that the genre has been saturated.

-Thrash metal :

Pros : Intensity, fast paced songs, a LOT of great politically outspoken bands.

Cons : While I like the genre seeing 100 bands that pay the same thing gets boring. Also most thrash bands do not even try.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

PrincessScarlet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:51 am 

Traditional heavy metal
Pros: The meat and potatoes style of metal. Simple and basic, but when done well, it hits like nothing else.
Cons: Due to it being the most basic form of metal, a lot of it tends to blend together with barely any unique bands within the genre.

Thrash metal
Pros: Has a certain energy that you can't get anywhere else, even within other forms of metal.
Cons: Like with classic heavy metal, a lot of it tends to just blend together, though not to the same exact extent. Also pizza thrash. Need I say more?

Death metal
Pros: Gets surprisingly varied. From brutal to, chaotic, to groovy, to uneasy, sometimes all these in the same track.
Cons: Tons of generic "br00tal" and slam bands out there.

Black metal
Pros: If we're talking the stuff that isn't the Norwegian scene and it's descendants, some of the most evil and disturbing stuff out there.
Cons: Norway ruined everything. It turned 80% of black metal into "Bathory-with-frostbite" psuedo-gothic, lo-fi trem picked garbage.

Doom metal
Pros: Uh... it's the genre with Candlemass in it.
Cons: Most of it just comes off as beta Sabbath. Don't get me wrong, I like me some Sabbath worship but it seems like most of the bands don't even really try too hard.

Progressive metal
Pros: n/a
Cons: Most of it ranges from boring and pretentious to overly wanky bullshit. Even with the more decent bands in the genre, I'd rather listen to something else.

Glam metal
Pros: W.A.S.P. and early Motley Crue
Cons: Everyone else.

Gothic metal
Pros: Type O Negative
Cons: Again, like with glam, everyone else.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:08 pm 

I would also like to point a few other genres:

Glam metal

Pro: Can be fun rock n roll music for those who don't like to take things seriously

Con: Is this even a real music genre or just a general term for 80s-based bands with makeup and hairspray? I think some acts are just straight-up heavy metal (eg. early Motley Crue, Skid Row), while others are simply pop/hard rock (Kiss, Poison, Bon Jovi).

Nu metal

Pro: Very diverse, I especially love Disturbed

Con: Many cringy acts

Groove metal

Pro: Best music to headbang to

Con: I don't think this is much of a standalone genre by itself; at best it's mostly a subgenre of thrash metal, or post-thrash. What other acts can most people think of beside Pantera or Sepultra?

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:36 am 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
Groove metal

Pro: Best music to headbang to

Con: I don't think this is much of a standalone genre by itself; at best it's mostly a subgenre of thrash metal, or post-thrash. What other acts can most people think of beside Pantera or Sepultra?
Machine Head & Lamb Of God, for a couple examples; I mean, it's not a huge genre or anything as far as major bands go, but the bands in it certainly aren't up-tempo enough to be called straight-up Thrash (or anthing more extreme than that, like Death or Black Metal), and they aren't melodic enough to be considered Maiden-style Traditional Metal either, so putting them in a smaller in-between category like Groove Metal is the best way to describe their genre, IMO.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:02 pm 

To start off, I do not listen to -core subgenres, they do not appeal to me.
Heavy. Pros: Some of the best albums, guitarists and vocalists (Dio/Dickinson/Halford defined what are good metal vocals).
Cons: Genre stagnated or rather became too narrow and going in circles a bit. Although the influences live on through other genres.

Prog. Pros: At best there is technical mastery.
Cons: The music drags and becomes directionless, you really need to pay attention to everything just to keep yourself engaged.

Thrash. Pros: Best riffs and there is also variety through local scenes establishing their own identity.
Cons: Again stagnation, the best new stuff just barely matches the golden era. Thrash as part of hybrid with other genres is the most promising use currently

Power. Pros: Continuation of heavy metal with best vocals sounding like golden trio mentioned above and masterful guitars (which should remain the main instrument). Uplifting and empowering themes, makes a good start to your day. I like power metal that sticks closely to heavy metal, not too much symphonics or overpowering choirs.
Cons: Too many clones, I think here again bands would be better experimenting with hybrid sound of power/thrash or power/black to define their own vision.

Black. Pros: If done well you get masterpieces like Transylvanian Hunger. Relies a lot on setting the mood with hypnotic beats and guitars laying down the messages through music. Atmosphreric or other hybrid black metal has given the genre new life
Cons: Vanilla low fi BM is also now a clone colony, just trying to match the golden era in futility.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:58 pm 

I’m going to comment on only two of them because, for me, it needs to be said:

Death metal

Pros Morbid Angel’s first four albums (particularly Altars of Madness). Seriously, that is some the best metal material ever written. It’s so great that I can’t even be fucked to give too many other death metal bands a chance. I should check out Bolt Thrower though.

Cons Everything else, for the most part. I can count on one hand the death metal bands I like and the other two consist of Amon Amarth (which may not even count) and Unleashed (with their more modern death ‘n roll sound being the best). Aside from kinda maybe some Nile, I abhor the brutal technical death metal sound-I would totally agree 100 percent with most parents that those bands do sound like nothing but noise!

Doom metal

Pros Relatively versatile and wonderful when done tastefully (albums like Death Penalty..Born To Late..The Ethereal Mirror..Dirt).
Cons As many have already stated, it’s prone to be used and abused with whereas a band’s m.o. will be just crank out riffs heavier than the next guy’s, without any thought of content behind it. Also, it’s too dependent on extraneous gear like valve amps and certain fuzz pedals. Over the top.

I agree with the person who said that the best bands know how to mix it up when it comes to the various genres of heavy metal like thrash, death, black, speed and doom etc

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:39 pm 

What a great idea for a thread!

Heavy Metal

Pros: The easiest kind of metal to get into to. Doesn't require an acquired taste to enjoy it. Also, it picks the best parts hard rock and metal and mixes them together pretty much.

Cons: I dunno. The fact once the likes of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest finally call it a day, there won't be any other band to fill in their shoes?

Thrash

Pros: Some of the best riffs and lyrics in metal. Also, thrash is fast paced, aggressive, but still easy to listen to.

Cons: It seems like this genre died once the 90s rolled in. It's as if once Metallica decided to go the hard rock route, other thrash bands felt like there was no point anymore, and thus let the scene die.
And there seems to be a scarcity of modern day thrash bands. And rarely is there one that's impressive or memorable. I don't get it.

Power

Pros: RPG-like fantasy themes and lyrics and upbeating sounding music in general.

Cons: Often it's way too cheesy. Especially a lot of those European bands from the 90s.

Death

Pros: Riffs, speed and technique. And the themes too.

Cons: Too many bands sound the same. Before you tell me that can be said about any kind of music, I feel like death metal is the biggest offender of this in metal music. If I listen to a bunch of different death metal albums or songs in a day, half of them end up blending in together. I don't have the same issue with other subgenres of metal.

Black

Pros: It's... uh... pretty evil sounding, which is cool.

Cons: A lot of the vocals just aren't to my liking. Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of black metal overall, I'd say.

Progressive

Pros: Technique and lyrics.

Cons: Sometimes songs are a little too long without any need to. Look, if your songs are 10-15 minutes long or longer, they BETTER be great. Otherwise I feel like I just wasted my time.

Folk

Pros: Well, adding folk elements from your own culture to metal music sounds pretty interesting on paper. And when it's well-executed, it works pretty well.

Cons: Sometimes I just don't like the execution. Don't really know what it is, but folk bands are very hit and miss for me.

Won't cover any more subgenres because I neither listen to them that often or know them well enough.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:47 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
Death metal

Pros Morbid Angel’s first four albums (particularly Altars of Madness). Seriously, that is some the best metal material ever written. It’s so great that I can’t even be fucked to give too many other death metal bands a chance. I should check out Bolt Thrower though.

Cons Everything else, for the most part. I can count on one hand the death metal bands I like and the other two consist of Amon Amarth (which may not even count) and Unleashed (with their more modern death ‘n roll sound being the best). Aside from kinda maybe some Nile, I abhor the brutal technical death metal sound-I would totally agree 100 percent with most parents that those bands do sound like nothing but noise!

if you wanna try and find more death metal you might like, i'd suggest blood incantation's debut - it's got a lot of morbid angel influence without being anything close to a rip off, and conductor's departure from anata - they've got the technical aspect of nile without being so brutal, and the swedish melodic sensibilities to make a mix that's very unique

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:45 am 

I will certainly check that album out. Thanks!

Hopefully they hit the sweet spot like classic Morbid Angel did i.e. death metal with a high thrash metal quotient, yet dark and brutal..strong classical music structures ..with Lovecraft-ian lyrics to go along with shredding done tastefully and with purpose.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:04 pm 

Parts of that description make me think you would/should be into Spawn of Possession and Gorguts.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:47 pm 

Progressive metal:
Pros: Variety. Lots to explore, from pretty soundscapey stuff to some of the most twisted extreme stuff in existence. Seems to only keep growing, expanding and incorporating new ideas and influences. At best, the fanbase both knows how to rock the fuck out and appreciates finer details.

Cons: At worst, the fanbase is the worst combination of "where are the growls" cavemen and prog snobbery.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2