Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:41 am 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
His word for death metal growls is "doom vocals". He doesn't mean doom metal, it just seems like a phrase he found particularly descriptive. I wonder if this is part of the phenomenon you're describing. :D

Heh, could be, if he's got a sort of link towards the Russian 90s scene... maybe he had a penpal from here back then :D

Wahn_nhaW
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:02 am 

interstellar_medium wrote:
Wahn_nhaW wrote:
His word for death metal growls is "doom vocals". He doesn't mean doom metal, it just seems like a phrase he found particularly descriptive. I wonder if this is part of the phenomenon you're describing. :D

Heh, could be, if he's got a sort of link towards the Russian 90s scene... maybe he had a penpal from here back then :D

It's really funny, especially when you see it in the description of a Six Feet Under cover of an Iron Maiden song. "Doom-style vocals". :D

But the site is great and it actually inspired me to collect all the functioning Web 1.0 links I've got bookmarked. Gonna open a thread in The Tavern.

On topic: Kruiz has always been my favorite among the Russian bands. I'm talking about the two most prominent albums, never heard the rest. That kind of speed metal is not even something I normally like too much, but I have to say they were easily as good as most "Western" bands with a similar style.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:19 am 

I guess my biggest problem with the local scene is that it's by definition derivative and can't seem to break out of this copycat mold. We have lots of bands, lots of them can play very well, quite a few can write good music, some can handle lyrics well... but there hasn't been a single Russian band that became truly influential abroad, and there's no "RuDeath" or a similar subscene that would sound distinctly different from whatever their peers are/were doing in the "Western" world.

Maybe the atmo/black folks would disagree and say that "RuBlack" is distinct enough... but I can't tell those bands apart regardless of the country they're from, unfortunately :D

Аспид, which I posted on the first page, is the only band I've heard a non-Russian musician mention among their biggest influences. Actually this is how I discovered them.

Dr_Fiemost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:39 pm 

Just found this gem on the home page: https://smycka.bandcamp.com

Also forgot to mention Internal Cold, a good DSBM band, and Fragile Edge, an impressive Jazz/Metal hybrid project.

I think it's becoming my favorite country for (Post) Metal.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:56 pm 

interstellar_medium wrote:
Maybe the atmo/black folks would disagree and say that "RuBlack" is distinct enough... but I can't tell those bands apart regardless of the country they're from, unfortunately :D

Gotta agree that RuBlack isn't really distinctive enough (at least for me) to give it its own unique... uh, thing. I certainly couldn't tell a Russian atmo-black band from an American one, assuming the vocals are both in English.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2