Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:39 pm 

Hi all

Wanted to ask for a bit of help - my wife is running a campaign to raise money to buy out some local woodland from under developers / etc. The aim is to buy the woodland outright, and donate it to the local Wildlife Trust as a preserve. It's used by all sorts of now quite rare birds in the UK (ground-nesting Woodcock, assorted Owls, etc.).

The threat faced is that it is being split into parcels to be sold as available for a mixture of personal forestry (ie: logging for firewood), small scale tourism, and the usual mountainbikes & so on that destroy the forest floor and the trees.

If anyone here would care to take a look & share the below via their own social media, it'd be really appreciated - we're trying to reach as many people as possible right now, to hopefully connect with those that can contribute.

https://uk.gofundme.com/f/save-wildlife-wood?qid=49e11d81cafed77e1c3ac4fa909f6771

Thanks !

(also - to anyone that ever thinks about running one of these, lord almighty is it a lot of admin !)

Last edited by ~Guest 361478 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:42 pm 

that's a noble cause... you should go public with the gofundme, they'll top you up in a day. just tell your wife to have a look at the legality of the matter. there could be implications, either to assist or to hinder...

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:06 pm 

Definitely - we're working on some news exposure, but as always, things take time !

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 am 

Have you thought about putting a link for this in your signature here? I wish I could have contributed much, much more financially. I shared it on my blog and LinkedIn.
As February ends very soon, are you going to redirect the money to the similar cause if you don't reach the goal?

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:40 am 

Osore wrote:
Have you thought about putting a link for this in your signature here? I wish I could have contributed much, much more financially. I shared it on my blog and LinkedIn.
As February ends very soon, are you going to redirect the money to the similar cause if you don't reach the goal?

I've updated my sig, great shout on that ! Every little definitely helps, thanks.

If we raise enough to make some kind of purchase, we'll do that & make sure it's secured against any new neighbours. We were looking at just refunding people otherwise, but could definitely look again at other campaigns too.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:43 am 

Nice! I was thinking about simply donating money to some organisation that deals with environmental protection if everything else fails; hoping for the best. ;)

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:38 pm 

good luck with it, a worthy cause.

DorchaSolas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:39 pm 

The crowdfunder is still going, the woodland has yet to be listed, so there is more time. Anyone able to share the help would be greatly appreciated.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:30 pm 

For a fine cause.

I work as gardener, but also in woods, so I see man's doing. A small tip now, but hope to share more when I can get back working proper hours.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:28 pm 

Pitched in just now. I’ll donate to anything that helps owls :nods:
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:13 am 

Thanks both of you, that's really very good of you.

Just so you're aware - if we don't make it with the main goal, we're going to use the cash raised to plant lots of new trees - we've got / have access to space for planting a good contiguous stretch of new hedgerows & stands of things like oak & beech.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:14 am 

World needs lungs. That's a nightmare I've been having for quite some time: waking up one day and you got no air to breathe...

Good work :)

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:40 am 

Hi everyone - by way of an update - the woodland as been sold off, and another one locally is being bought up to suffer the same process - this has, however, finally motivated some national organisatiosn to get involved properly. Always takes a couple of dominoes before anyone cares !

With regards to the money we raised here - thank you to anyoen that contributed in any sense; we're spoken to local tree nurseries & will be organising the planting of several hundred native trees (fruiting ones included, for the migratory birds). I'll share some pictures when that's done; one thing we're doing to try to do is have a plaque engraved with the names / handles of those that donated - serve as little inspiration for others that might see it on their way past.

One positive regarding the woodland sold off - we've already spoken to one of the buyers, and he's interested in at least partially conserving things; he wants to create his own leisure plot, with a boardwalk and so on, but isn't going to clear-fell the place / play on mountainbikes. Someone we can work with, hopefully !

Thanks again for your help.

Reply to topic