Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BlueTransparency
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:33 am 

What's the worst brutal death metal you've ever heard?

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:41 am 

All of it
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

BlueTransparency
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:50 am 

gestapothrash wrote:
All of it

Really? ALL of it that ever existed? There's not one band where you're like "well, just throw it on as background noise."?

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:52 am 

gestapothrash wrote:
All of it

Absolutely based

It's all bad

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:55 am 

To be honest, the first Suffocation album is as far as I go regarding "brutal" or "technical" DM. Other than that most of the shit in the genre comes across as core-ish and has very polished sounding production, a far cry from OSDM or Black/Death that rules my tastes at the moment - (if anyone can recommend brutal/tech bands for me to check out that have an old school vibe, I'm all ears). In regards to Slam? I can't get past the wigger aspect, although I am guilty of liking Cemetery Rapist when I was a teenager.
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

BlueTransparency
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:09 am 

gestapothrash wrote:
To be honest, the first Suffocation album is as far as I go regarding "brutal" or "technical" DM. Other than that most of the shit in the genre comes across as core-ish and has very polished sounding production, a far cry from OSDM or Black/Death that rules my tastes at the moment - (if anyone can recommend brutal/tech bands for me to check out that have an old school vibe, I'm all ears). In regards to Slam? I can't get past the wigger aspect, although I am guilty of liking Cemetery Rapist when I was a teenager.

Good point about that, it does seem like a lot of it is like the Death Metal version of Nu-Metal if that makes sense.

GoatBoat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:50 am 

Most bad slam is just boring and formulaic. It doesn't really reach the shitting diarrhea into a vase while you run six chainsaws next to each other sound of the most unpolished brutal death metal. I'd say the worst thing to come out of slam is probably deathcore bands like Waking the Cadaver mixing in slam riffs with their deathcore to make something not quite as listenable as either. Also, the many XxSlamWorldwidexX bands doing the reverse.

I've heard some unbelievably shit brutal death metal in my time, but I can't for the life of me remember any names. It all merges into one indistinguishable toilet sound in my mind and I only remember the bands I enjoyed.

~Guest 94579
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:31 am 

To actually answer the question: Waking the Cadaver - Perverse Recollections of a Necromangler. I actually have a soft spot for the band's demo, but their first full length is complete shit. Thin guitar tone, non-existent bass, and vocals reminiscent of a coffee maker. The lyrics are cringy even by brutal/slam standards, and the bong rip interlude doesn't help either.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:49 am 

gestapothrash wrote:
if anyone can recommend brutal/tech bands for me to check out that have an old school vibe, I'm all ears

nile and defeated sanity obviously, and the first two cryptopsy albums of course. the genre is chock full of terrible shit (like GoatBoat, i can't remember any names to contribute), but there's plenty of great stuff as well

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:56 am 

Nile are great but I've always struggled to consider them brutal death metal, they're just technical death metal in my book. The rest of brutal death metal and slam doesn't interest me at all.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:10 am 

^ yeah this. I associate brutal death metal with shit like Braindrill

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:07 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Nile are great but I've always struggled to consider them brutal death metal, they're just technical death metal in my book. The rest of brutal death metal and slam doesn't interest me at all.

well, they're listed as "brutal/technical" here on the archives - have you given defeated sanity a chance? how about stuff like disentomb?

slam of course is quite a distinct niche within the broader brutal death genre, and i too struggle to find much worth listening to it there

gestapothrash wrote:

just because you associate a term with the worst possible example of it, doesn't mean that's all it is

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:38 am 

oxwah wrote:
To actually answer the question: Waking the Cadaver - Perverse Recollections of a Necromangler. I actually have a soft spot for the band's demo, but their first full length is complete shit. Thin guitar tone, non-existent bass, and vocals reminiscent of a coffee maker. The lyrics are cringy even by brutal/slam standards, and the bong rip interlude doesn't help either.

Totally agree. Waking the Cadaver is a highly overrated band.

I also can't stand brutal/slam death metal bands that copy each other, in which the bands they're copying are copying other bands. It's like a never-ending cycle of bands copying each other!

GoatBoat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:54 am 

gestapothrash wrote:

I wouldn't really call it an "old school vibe", but Devourment's latest album is pretty solid brutal death metal that lacks the ultraclean and sterile production that many bands seem to love. Skinless' albums up to and including Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead are definitely closer to Suffocation than they are modern brutal death metal.

As for your typical wall of ugly sounds and toilets flushing brutal death metal, you can't go wrong with Brodequin. If you don't like it, you probably won't enjoy that type of brutal death metal as a whole.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:06 am 

Slater922 wrote:
Totally agree. Waking the Cadaver is a highly overrated band.

Really? I thought they were basically a universally derided band, here and anywhere else.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:14 am 

There are plenty of shitty unknown bands, that's for sure.

But as a fan of brutal death metal and slam in general I just can't fathom why bands like Broken Hope, Pyrexia and Internal Bleeding are held in such high regard considering how god awful their music is.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:20 am 

this thread hurts.

obviously a lot of BDM is garbage but honestly the same could be said with most genres of metal; there's just too much of it out there. But like Defeated Sanity, Wormed, Deeds of Flesh? all just amazing to name a few

anyway to answer the thread's question there is probably a lot of stuff that would fit the bill for worst band. I'd say Waking the Cadaver or Cemetery Rapist. there is a lot of bad slam out there though, I'm sure someone more versed in it could find something even worse

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:14 pm 

The super caveman slam stuff like Epicardiectomy is what sounds the worst to me and particularly the ones that mix in a lot of core elements bridging with deathcore. It is all subjective though, but there are a lot of br00tal bands from people who are trying too hard to be brutal while not paying attention to composition.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:19 pm 

BlueTransparency wrote:
gestapothrash wrote:
All of it

Really? ALL of it that ever existed? There's not one band where you're like "well, just throw it on as background noise."?

I mean, you have to know he's exagerating on purpose, but he still has a point. Asking about the worst bands of genres that are mostly bad is kind of pointless. Brutal death has a few gems, but otherwise it's mostly generic stuff that's brutal for the sake of brutality. As for slam death, I don't think there is a single good band within the genre.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:24 pm 

You know that slam death band no one gets out alive? I heard that they were slam death and bluegrass. I checked them out, based on that crazy combination, and was disappointed. It wasn’t like Tengger Cavalry or Eluveitie, combining folk and metal, it was just alternating banjo folk riffs with slam riffs. You’re supposed to play death metal riffs on folk instruments, and vice versa. Totally wasted opportunity.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:25 pm 

gestapothrash wrote:
All of it

Holy shit, I'm choking laughing. What a beautiful comment,

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:31 pm 

While Gestapothrash's response is pretty close to the truth for me, honestly there is some out there that is actually listenable, even good (up to a point.) Maybe not much, but it's out there. And some are clearly far worse than others; Torsofuck, Raped by Pigs, and Cemetery Rapist are pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel. And apologies to those of you who like those bands.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:34 pm 

Zerberus wrote:
But as a fan of brutal death metal and slam in general I just can't fathom why bands like Broken Hope, Pyrexia and Internal Bleeding are held in such high regard considering how god awful their music is.

Whoa there. Pyrexia's discography as a whole is pretty unremarkable but Age of the Wicked is straight up one of the most underrated death metal albums ever. A perfect mix of blistering intensity and memorable riffs.

Anyway, brutal death metal and slam are like any other instance of a genre being taken to the extreme-- like how power electronics took industrial music as far as it could go, or how some of those free jazz guys pushed the boundaries of jazz. The further you go, the more listeners you alienate even within the broader context of the genre, so it's always gonna be an acquired taste. Personally I'm a big BDM fan, and I really enjoy those slam bands that really take the slam death metal formula and run with it (I'm thinking of bands like Cephalotripsy, Epicardiectomy, Vulvectomy... all the various -ys). I'm not gonna fault anybody for not enjoying those bands, they're not for everybody.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:38 pm 

Fornicator's self titled record. It's 46 minutes long and 50% of it is samples about rape. I'm not exaggerating. They're looooonnnngggg.

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:23 am 

I don't really think it gets worse than Artery Eruption or Human Mastication. Both bands have some of the worst musicianship I've ever heard in the genre, poor production, weak riffs, and for Human Mastication a snare tone that rivals St. Anger for being as poor

Yuli Ban
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:45 am 

Eradicatedseraphim wrote:
I don't really think it gets worse than Artery Eruption or Human Mastication. Both bands have some of the worst musicianship I've ever heard in the genre, poor production, weak riffs, and for Human Mastication a snare tone that rivals St. Anger for being as poor

You've only piqued my sense of auditory masochism. I've been dying to hear some truly degenerately-bad death metal (no pun intended) that wasn't just a joke.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:50 am 

wraithlike wrote:
this thread hurts.
obviously a lot of BDM is garbage but honestly the same could be said with most genres of metal; there's just too much of it out there.

Oof, yes, this. There was a mythic 'golden age' at the turn of the century, what some associate with the best days of Unique Leader and their flagship bands. When the "brutal" and "technical" branches of the subgenre were fully merging together and producing an array of quality sounds and bands around the world. Before all the new bands decided the only paths worth following were those laid down by Origin, Necrophagist and Braindrill, and let's face reality; Meshuggah.

Slam saturation came up pretty much simultaneously with the ultra-clean neo-wankfest side of things, and their popularity has basically scrubbed the last 15 years of quality brutal/tech DM bands in earlier styles.

Obviously some have kept the flag flying; the aforementioned Defeated Sanity and Wormed, but it isn't a substyle where many of the quality groups were ever very prolific. Even back in the early 00's, a great many of the gems often came from bands who only produced one or two albums before disappearing. I can recc. anyone excellent true BDM for days, but you'd have to actually like good BDM first, not contemporary trash.

Brutal and technical death metal was a goldmine of fascinating and daring musicianship and sound in a very specific, largely forgotten slice of time. What's associated with those subgenres nowadays doesn't really have anything to do with what used to be fantastic about it.

~Guest 1149616
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:50 am 

Necrofuckinglicious is the worst I've heard. It encapsulates everything amateur, juvenile, and unappealing about brutal slam death. I looked up the guy from the band recently and it looks like he moved on to be a successful/normal person with healthy relationships with women who doesn't write songs about chimpanzee poo.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:58 am 

Enmity's Illuminations of Vile Engorgement is 100% without a doubt the worst. Do yourself a favor and don't listen to it. If only I could curse the soul who made me give it a listen...

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:35 am 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
You know that slam death band no one gets out alive? I heard that they were slam death and bluegrass. I checked them out, based on that crazy combination, and was disappointed. It wasn’t like Tengger Cavalry or Eluveitie, combining folk and metal, it was just alternating banjo folk riffs with slam riffs. You’re supposed to play death metal riffs on folk instruments, and vice versa. Totally wasted opportunity.

hard disagree here - tengger cavalry and eluveitie are much more serious endeavors to be artistic (to varying degrees of success), whereas no one gets out alive is totally tongue in cheeck fun of the highest caliber; old shack stories is a particularly great example of a good time

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:52 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
Vulvectomy...

It also doesn't help that these bands are basically parodying themselves into oblivion with shitty laughable names like these, generic gore and/or sexual violence and torture on women in both their lyrics and covert arts.

Btw, I had never heard of this band before. I wrote these lines before even checking them out. Turns out I was absolutely right, and basically every song they ever wrote is exactly that: gore, sexual violence and casual mysoginy.

Hard pass. I don't even care if their music is half-decent.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 pm 

joppek wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

well, they're listed as "brutal/technical" here on the archives - have you given defeated sanity a chance? how about stuff like disentomb?

slam of course is quite a distinct niche within the broader brutal death genre, and i too struggle to find much worth listening to it there

gestapothrash wrote:

just because you associate a term with the worst possible example of it, doesn't mean that's all it is

Defeated Sanity are alright but the vocals get tiresome after a while. At least I can hear brutal death in this one, Nile don't have "slam" riffs or these ultra low growls. Cryptopsy another one of those bands I've tried multiple times but I can't get into. None So Vile would be cool if the drums weren't ultra loud and annoying.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:51 pm 

As far as brutal death is concerned, I think Italian bands like Hour of Penance and Hideous Divinity are some of the best, along with others already mentioned like Nile, Defeated Sanity etc. I think Wormed and Afterbirth are actually doing interesting things with slam (well, about as interesting as the genre allows) and the last Disentomb album was pretty sweet

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:15 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:

Were you the one who started that thread on misogyny in slam and brutal death metal?

I mean I'm not gonna fault you for that because as far as I'm concerned the subgenre's main issue, more than the lack of creativity alleged by its detractors, is the absurd prevalence of misogyny and sexual violence in the name of edginess. I won't listen to Vulvectomy's second album because at that point it was too tasteless even for me. Not trying to push this thread in that direction, but really, if you want to criticize slam, there's so much more validity in criticizing it for that than for making up nonsense about 'wiggers' or 'it's just brutal for the sake of being brutal!'.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:18 am 

Ezadara wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

Were you the one who started that thread on misogyny in slam and brutal death metal?

I mean I'm not gonna fault you for that because as far as I'm concerned the subgenre's main issue, more than the lack of creativity alleged by its detractors, is the absurd prevalence of misogyny and sexual violence in the name of edginess. I won't listen to Vulvectomy's second album because at that point it was too tasteless even for me. Not trying to push this thread in that direction, but really, if you want to criticize slam, there's so much more validity in criticizing it for that than for making up nonsense about 'wiggers' or 'it's just brutal for the sake of being brutal!'.

No, but I did write in that thread.

As for lack of creativity in bdm and slam, I still think it's a valid criticism. I don't think there are much redeeming qualities to slam, but there is definitely some pretty good to solid brutal death metal. However, it's a genre that's not so much plagued by shitty bands, as much as it feels very same-y over time. It's not a very diverse genre. Lyrical themes and cover arts also matter to me. If musicians are not going to make any kind of effort when writing lyrics or creating their cover arts, it's going to affect my appreciation of the music.

marcus2020
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:29 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

That was me who created that thread.

I have been ridiculed by people for wanting to have brutal death metal without a single hint of misogyny.

Whenever I seem to find a band that is considered "brutal death metal" by someone on some level, and their lyrics aren't misogynistic sexual gore lyrics, they always seem to end up being technical death metal and not brutal death metal. It ends up being closer to a band like Archspire with maybe a couple of brutal death metal sounding parts, or maybe Origin (who I think are technical death metal and not brutal death metal).

The market for people who like the brutality of brutal death metal but want nothing to do with misogyny/rape lyrics is a lot bigger than the people attacking me realize.

I hope that some people who are in the scene out to form future bands will listen to me, and make brutal death metal with no misogyny present in the lyrics whatsoever. I also want current players in the scene who write these lyrics to ditch those lyrics going forward. Permanently.

But sadly, I predict my request to fall on deaf ears, and all actual brutal death metal will have those lyrics in pretty much every song, if not every song. That makes me upset.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:13 pm 

marcus2020 wrote:
But sadly, I predict my request to fall on deaf ears, and all actual brutal death metal will have those lyrics in pretty much every song, if not every song. That makes me upset.

Well, you can't really ask/hope for change on a wider scale to happen like this over night. But let's hope the scene does evolve towards something more interesting from this point on. These tropes are not only problematic, they are also played out and have absolutely nothing new to offer. And I guess a lot of people could or would want to argue that lyrical and visual themes aren't all that important in brutal death metal (which is debattable since so many bands write about the same 2 things all the time), but that's kind of an issue to me. I like lyrics and visual aesthetics to receive at least some attention. It bothers me that these bands put virtually no effort in the creation of a distinctive aesthetic for their music.

overkill1978
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:52 am 

Brutal death has some serious gems but I hardly listen to it anymore. Aside from the old school obvious bands like Cryptopsy, Dying Fetus and Deeds of Flesh.... bands like Abominable Putridity and Severe Torture have some really good songs/albums that I throw on once in a blue moon. Slam? I haven't heard one band that I liked in that category.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:24 am 

Hot take: anything BDM or Slam do well, downtempo deathcore and deathcore in general does better. Bands like Distant and Bound In Fear have the crushing heaviness of Slam (and the slams) but with lyrics about more interesting subjects, actual atmosphere, and less repetition. It's funny how dxc started out as braindead, thuggish, and offensively vulgar as BDM and Slam, but has grown up and become a lot more mature whereas those two genres remain as meth-head-dipshit as they were back in 2005.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:55 pm 

marcus2020 wrote:
Whenever I seem to find a band that is considered "brutal death metal" by someone on some level, and their lyrics aren't misogynistic sexual gore lyrics, they always seem to end up being technical death metal and not brutal death metal. It ends up being closer to a band like Archspire with maybe a couple of brutal death metal sounding parts, or maybe Origin (who I think are technical death metal and not brutal death metal).

What about unisex violence/gore lyrics? Are you throwing all gore lyricism into the same accusation? You might be generalizing with a huge brush, really. There are many straight brutal death metal bands who don't deal in misogyny. You're right that maybe a majority of non-goreporn themed BDM is closer to 'tech', and that yes, most BDM does indeed deal in gore stuff, but you really can't generalize that all straight BDM is misogynistic/rapey. May seem that way if you're skimming the genre and big names, but it just isn't true in totality. Non-rapey BDM exists. There's a lot of it.

It seems to me a lot of the ugly misogyny, especially in contemporary DM, is most visible in the slam side of the genre, which I personally barely even relate to actual death or brutal death metal. Is it the genre's fault that the bands who front ugly misogyny are the most visible and popular? Isn't that possibly more of a problem to do with industry/label roster and marketing choices, and spending consumers?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next