Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Invocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:54 pm 

Grave Miasma return with their second album on May 14, 2021...

From the label announcement:

http://www.sepulchralvoice.de/index2.htm

Quote:
GRAVE MIASMA - Abyss of Wrathful Deities

may 14, 2021
on compact disc, on 2x12“ vinyl LP & digital download

‘Abyss of Wrathful Deities’ is GRAVE MIASMA´s fifth release, the latest in a 19-year sonic exploration of the transcendental essence and nature of death. Nine tracks of pounding, dark Death Metal await the listener, rooted in the adoration of mysterious Tibetan burial rites and shamanic passages to other worlds.

Trading a little of the cavernous atmospheres of previous releases for the traditional Metal currency of speed and aggression, ‘Abyss of Wrathful Deities’ still sounds immediately and inimitably like GRAVE MIASMA.

The album marks a third collaboration with Jamie Gomez Arellano at Orgone Studios (Paradise Lost, Primordial, Vltimas, Angel Witch), and a step further along the path of expansive and dynamic production characteristic of the London-based band’s ascent towards the vanguard of the contemporary Death Metal movement.

Experience the hellish descent towards otherworldly chasms through a thousand shades of death!

to be released by SEPULCHRAL VOICE RECORDS (Europe) / DARK DESCENT RECORDS (US)
presale starts on march 26

From Decibel (including statement from the band):

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2021/03/05/video-premiere-grave-miasma-rogyapa/

Quote:
Some names just evoke quality.

If you like dark, menacing and evil death metal, then Grave Miasma is a name to brand into your bones. Along with bands like Dead Congregation, Ritual Necromancy and Funebrarum, these English evildoers have kept this most Golgothan essence ablaze into our own age. Their latest sermon comes in the form of “Rogyapa,” a song and video that perfectly embodies everything the band is about: crushing gutteral vocals (with lots of reverb, very important!), ominous guitar riffs, and punishing rhythms. It’s a death metal storm with getting stuck in.

Here’s how the band describes the new track:

“There is no more ego-vanquishing burial rite than one that pounds flesh and bone into nothingness. And thus, we present the skull-smashing track “Rogyapa” — an ode to the practitioners of the Tibetan bya gtor and the glory days of death metal music videos.

“Rogyapa” is taken from our upcoming album Abyss of Wrathful Deities — a sonic exploration delving into obscure burial practices and the nature of death itself. Until then, we implore you to meditate upon your mortality and the illusory nature of flesh, as skeletal remains are crushed into oblivion.”

Y/D/T — Grave Miasma

Indeed, the video has a loose yet professional feel to it. Not overproduced, but coherent and crisp enough to follow and absorb the major aesthetic elements. From this song, I believe we can have the utmost confidence that Abyss of Wrathful Deities will be a death metal album to beat in 2021.

Enjoy!

Here is the video for the new track:

As I'm sure many of you are aware, Grave Miasma are probably the most pivotal band in the English extreme metal underground in the 21st century as well being one of the pioneers of occult and "cavernous" death metal alongside Dead Congregation and Necros Christos. Given the wider metal scene's renewed interest in old school death metal over the last few years it will be interesting to see if this reaches a wider audience than their previous releases.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:03 pm 

They already revealed the tracklisting:

1. Guardians of Death” (05:52)
2. Rogyapa (06:46)
3. Ancestral Waters (06:42)
4. Erudite Decomposition (06:27)
5. Under the Megalith (06:22)
6. Demons of the Sand (06:02)
7. Interlude (01:08)
8. Exhumation Rites (07:17)
9. Kingdoms Beyond Kailash (06:15)

The first single is good, looks like they're moving away from the cavernous sound a bit and leaning more on their South American influences. I think this album will be a continuation/expansion of the sound from the Endless Pilgrimage EP, which I'm not complaining about.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:00 pm 

They started preorders and revealed the cover artwork today:

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:42 pm 

Not as cool as Odori sepulcrorum but still decent. Something about it could have been done better though but I'm not exactly sure why.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:15 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Not as cool as Odori sepulcrorum but still decent. Something about it could have been done better though but I'm not exactly sure why.

My personal favorite cover of theirs is the EP they released in 2016. I'm kinda bummed that the cover for the new one isn't more like that.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:37 am 

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

My personal favorite cover of theirs is the EP they released in 2016. I'm kinda bummed that the cover for the new one isn't more like that.

That was done by Costin Chioreanu, I guess they wanted a more traditionally death metal artwork this time around.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:46 am 

I surprisingly like this. I'm normally one of the first to criticize Grave Miasma as overhyped, boring caverncore, but this is way more punchy and groovy and is surprisingly reminiscent of modern Incantation at times, with, as mentioned above, a big nod to MXDM as well.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:49 am 

Cavernous death metal as a descriptor really only describes their early material and Odori Sepulcrorum IMO. Endless Pilgrimage is closer to this than it is to that sound.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:00 am 

They released another single today:

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:56 pm 

I have to say the more bestial death/thrash oriented style on this new record has worked out really well, judging by these two singles. They still have the occult Eastern vibe going on but the change in production makes the riffs stand out more.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:15 pm 

Well, the album is out and I'm really digging it.

https://gravemiasma.bandcamp.com/album/abyss-of-wrathful-deities

It's still atmospheric but the switch to a clearer production has done wonders for them. Overall it's a much faster-paced record than any of their previous releases and overall more aggressive than anything they've done.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:44 pm 

I have no complaints. It's fixed all of my complaints about Grave Miasma while still keeping the cool things they have. A punchier, 2010s Incantation-style sound suits them well.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:22 am 

I've enjoyed their older stuff a bit, but this is HUGE. Just spun the entire album, loved every second.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:28 pm 

Yep, didn't like this one. Thought I would be the overwhelming minority only to see BastardHead called the album "a meandering fart-cloud of non-riffs". Holy hell :lol:

The album is as to be expected, BIGLY atmopsheric but there's a serious lack of anything outside of that happening. The songs go nowhere and I can't point to anything that sticks out.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:41 am 

Voi Vod

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:39 pm 

Maybe successive listens will change my mind, but on first impression I prefer their older material. This one seems in a middle ground where it's not hard-hitting enough to compete with those sort of bands, while simultaneously no longer atmospheric enough to compare favorably to those type of artists.

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:13 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Maybe successive listens will change my mind, but on first impression I prefer their older material. This one seems in a middle ground where it's not hard-hitting enough to compete with those sort of bands, while simultaneously no longer atmospheric enough to compare favorably to those type of artists.

Right on! My thoughts are exactly! It is almost like the latest Incantation, kinda OK...but nowhere near past glory. Shame really, as Grave Miasma alongside with Ulcerate I consider the front runners of DM of a past decade.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:27 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

See, I actually think the increased clarity in production actually adds to the atmosphere. If anything being able to more easily discern what it is they're actually playing adds to the eerie, occult vibes they're attempting to conjure. Odori Sepulcrorum is a great album and all, but deciding to move away from the cavernous production is one of the best moves they've made IMO. They don't really need to be the hardest-hitting band out there and that's not really what they're focusing on, but the songs have more than enough punch to get the point across and actually land harder for me than their reverb-soaked early material. That and the riffs are just a little bit more twisted and dissonant this time around.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Fri May 21, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:40 pm 

I gotta say I’m loving this. Year end top 10 potential for me.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:41 pm 

I'm also liking it a lot. It's a slow burner, nothing stands out on first listen but it has a ton of great riffs.

Reply to topic