Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:09 pm 

re: TITS bagging on Hetfield: It's kinda obvious but also worth noting that Todd has spent his entire career covering pop music, and as such the only metal he seems to know or care about is whatever gets to be popular enough for the average joe to have heard it on the radio at some point. His relationship with the genre is very surface level and it shows whenever he wades his way into it, which is usually only long enough to make a quick comparison. So the fact that he had a very "normie" reaction to seeing James Hetfield be vulnerable isn't all that shocking to me. I give metal fans shit all the time for wanting their artists to wear costumes and be personas but pop fans are obviously way worse about that sort of thing and this here is a good example of it.

(He also has a podcast where he and his co-host pit two songs against each other and argue over which one is better, and just a week or so ago the episode was "Welcome to the Jungle vs Enter Sandman", and Todd argued in favor of Metallica because "Even though Master of Puppets is their best album, Enter Sandman is their best song specifically because of how fucking goofy and fun it is". So yeah, again, it's disappointing but understandable why he'd react to such sincerity with disappointed confusion.)

FWIW I do agree with his overall point that St Anger is very easy to defend on paper (It's raw and abrasive and unmusical because it's a primal scream from broken men who hate each other desperately working through some extremely painful shit) but there's no getting around the fact that it is astoundingly awful in completely obvious and mystifying ways.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:39 pm 

A brief thought:

Joe Rogan is at his absolute best when the people he has on his show are within his own realm of understanding, so any kind of sports or fitness people, really. Those episodes produce incredible conversations on a multitude of topics. Even when he does have someone on that deals in a discipline he has no real direct knowledge about, the conversations are still great if he just shuts up and lets his guest be smart about stuff (see: That time Trevor Valle, a paleontologist, was on the show and spent almost 40 minutes dissecting and ripping to pieces a video claiming that dinosaurs aren't real, or Louis Theroux coming on and talking about cults and religious mania, or Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about how Monsters Inc. got the science of 4th dimensional portals down perfectly). Whenever he has someone on the show and he tries to be smart about something he doesn't understand, it's the dumbest shit you've ever heard in your entire life, and unfortunately that's, like, most of the time on his show.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:25 am 

BastardHead wrote:
FWIW I do agree with his overall point that St Anger is very easy to defend on paper (It's raw and abrasive and unmusical because it's a primal scream from broken men who hate each other desperately working through some extremely painful shit) but there's no getting around the fact that it is astoundingly awful in completely obvious and mystifying ways.

You make a good point there... but yeah, it's actually a surprisingly short walk from that "primal scream of a broken man" to "collective whining of entitled multi-millionaires with bone-dry creative wells". I'd like to say Metallica lost it after ...And Justice for All, but that would not be accurate: the S/T had nice pop feel to it, and, well, the songs are nice and inoffensive tunes suitable for middle-aged man's drive to the local grocery store. But ever since that, not much to write home about. St Anger is a worthless turd, and as an artistic statement it's on the same level as putting a used toilet seat on display in a fancy gallery.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:17 am 

Napero wrote:
St Anger is a worthless turd, and as an artistic statement it's on the same level as putting a used toilet seat on display in a fancy gallery.

Lars would buy the said piece.

Of course, pretty much everything after 1991 is total crap, but Some Kind of Monster is a fascinating and often unintentionally hilarious documentary. Highly recommended.

Invocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:41 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Napero wrote:
St Anger is a worthless turd, and as an artistic statement it's on the same level as putting a used toilet seat on display in a fancy gallery.

Lars would buy the said piece.

You guys know that a urinal is a very famous piece of art, right?

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/duchamp-fountain-t07573

Quote:
Fountain is one of Duchamp’s most famous works and is widely seen as an icon of twentieth-century art. The original, which is lost, consisted of a standard urinal, usually presented on its back for exhibition purposes rather than upright, and was signed and dated ‘R. Mutt 1917’. Tate’s work is a 1964 replica and is made from glazed earthenware painted to resemble the original porcelain. The signature is reproduced in black paint. Fountain has been seen as a quintessential example, along with Duchamp’s Bottle Rack 1914, of what he called a ‘readymade’, an ordinary manufactured object designated by the artist as a work of art (and, in Duchamp’s case, interpreted in some way).

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:25 pm 

Invocation wrote:

Quote:
Fountain is one of Duchamp’s most famous works and is widely seen as an icon of twentieth-century art. The original, which is lost, consisted of a standard urinal, usually presented on its back for exhibition purposes rather than upright, and was signed and dated ‘R. Mutt 1917’. Tate’s work is a 1964 replica and is made from glazed earthenware painted to resemble the original porcelain. The signature is reproduced in black paint. Fountain has been seen as a quintessential example, along with Duchamp’s Bottle Rack 1914, of what he called a ‘readymade’, an ordinary manufactured object designated by the artist as a work of art (and, in Duchamp’s case, interpreted in some way).

No! Not pretentious enough! This is what Lars needs to add to his collection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist%27s_Shit
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:41 am 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Invocation wrote:

Quote:

No! Not pretentious enough! This is what Lars needs to add to his collection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist%27s_Shit

I still think that 'My Bed' is the epitome of self-absorbed modern 'art' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Bed. At least the toilet is a nicely made piece of plumbing :lol:

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:11 am 

Methuen wrote:
I still think that 'My Bed' is the epitome of self-absorbed modern 'art' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Bed. At least the toilet is a nicely made piece of plumbing :lol:

I read My Bed as My Bad for a second there and now I'm imagining what sort of modern artist that would even entail.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:20 pm 

Dominican police capture ‘Ndrangheta fugitive... by watching his Youtube cooking show:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... uxbndlbing
Maybe “Cooking with the Capo” was not the most discreet name he could have chosen ;)
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:42 pm 

I appreciate conceptual art, it's a stripped-down version of art where the ''only'' thing that's left are ideas. That artist's faeces is full of irony, and the fact that people payed ridiculous amounts of money for it tells us even more. I think people have problems with concept and performance (Marina Abramović) because they can't put it in familiar frame. What if the artist had decided to take a photograph of her bed? It would have been a credible artistic photo, so why exhibited object seen directly is not? All these much or less ridiculous moves are art indeed, and you have the right to hate it, but it is still million times more creative than standard selfies...

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:16 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Methuen wrote:
We've inherited some early-press Deep Purple, Rainbow, Thin Lizzy, Led Zep - all the good stuff - spent all day yesterday playing the LPs, and now I'm stuck on a Dio binge as all other music sounds painfully ordinary. Damn you, 70s riff monsters :lol:

I'm probably at risk of losing my metal card for admitting to this, but I hadn't heard any Rainbow or Dio albums until the last few years (though I knew quite well who they were, and had heard a few individual songs plus assorted covers of their tunes). I had owned Rising for a number of years before then and just never got around to listening to it until a couple years ago. And I hadn't heard the other albums until I just went on a binge to check them out recently, and enjoyed them even more than I thought I would. My pre-90s metal knowledge is still too spotty, so I'm glad to have rectified such a massive oversight.

Check out Live In Germany 1976 - Blackmore at his peak, Rainbow in full flight.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:20 pm 

On the subject of conceptual art and postmodernism, I rather feel that Duchamp said it all with that urinal in the first place.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:02 pm 

Is that a statement on it being good or bad? I can't really tell. Personally, I think the more dada-types of art like Duchamp's urinal are generally just ridiculous and silly. Taking something so intentionally goofy and ascribing an arbitrary meaning to it doesn't really make it art, if you ask me.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:00 am 

Nice cats. :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:58 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Nice cats. :D

What cats

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:42 am 

edit: no I don't see them either, he said, woozy from toxoplasmosis

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:17 am 

I saw Six Feet Under's "updated" band photo...

...and spent the next five minutes laughing like an idiot.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:34 am 

Varg's french sojourn did wonders for his fur! :lol:

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:41 am 

I thought Agent Steel's was amusing. Iced Earth's takes the cake though, holy shit :lol:

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:29 am 

One drawback to living in the sticks - the second the weather warms up, you don't get a nice quiet atmosphere, you get to listen to the incessant whine of chainsaws as someone demolishes a copse / hedge / row of trees. Some of them do it for fun (manly men doing manly things !), some do it to sell the wood (because they live like it's 1492), some do it because they're too bone-idle to work on a fence from the other side of the boundary (and y'know, talk to their neighbor).

It's actually one good effect of 'gentrification' in the country - the city types moving in might be painfully naive about things like farms / dogs / guns, but they by-and-large don't want to rip out every single bit of greenery they can find. Lots of them (in between trips in their shiny Land Rover or VW camper-mit-surfboards) have this Beatrix Potter image of headrows and songbirds, and so expend thousands on planting trees. Exitus Acta Probat I suppose.

/rant.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:11 am 

Subrick wrote:
Is that a statement on it being good or bad? I can't really tell. Personally, I think the more dada-types of art like Duchamp's urinal are generally just ridiculous and silly. Taking something so intentionally goofy and ascribing an arbitrary meaning to it doesn't really make it art, if you ask me.

Neither. That was kinda the point. It was a gesture made in the midst of WW1, which, it is very easy to forget from this perspective, people saw as the end of the world. Dada was all about "life has been rendered meaningless by this atrocity, and so has art". So art becomes a mere gesture, nothing that should have lasting value or be preserved.

Little did they know what was in store, but from their perspective, yeah, it made sense. Today, since all that art HAS been preserved, people are increasingly baffled by it, because since then, nuclear fucking bombs have been dropped and the world keeps on turning, and various forms of art persevere despite all the atrocities we have been witnessing in the past 100 years. Obviously, art has proven to be resilient to the world's insanity. I can see how it might not have appeared that way in 1917, though.

But that was then. I have no patience for (the modern) Marina Abramovic and the likes of Damien Hirst and Tracey Emin. What they're doing is a cop-out.

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:38 am 

Glad to see Sigh finally stands for animal rights and added a tuxedo to their lineup

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:11 am 

Cat lovers are gonna love this April Fools joke. I especially love Bolt Thrower's new image :lol:

Spoiler: show

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:29 am 

Slater922 wrote:
Cat lovers are gonna love this April Fools joke. I especially love Bolt Thrower's new image :lol:

I went to look at Gorgoroth's page and they all turned into cats. I thought I was having another flashback, then I realized what day it is.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:06 am 

I fucking lost it at Draconian's. I haven't found a band yet without one, no matter how obscure, so I'm starting to wonder if it's some sort of random generator that assigns an image to each band, otherwise the amount of work would seem to be gargantuan.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:35 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I fucking lost it at Draconian's. I haven't found a band yet without one, no matter how obscure, so I'm starting to wonder if it's some sort of random generator that assigns an image to each band, otherwise the amount of work would seem to be gargantuan.

Probably planned to some extent! I mean a lot of the NSBM bands are all Hitler kitties :lol: plus Darkspace is no accident!

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:25 pm 

Nice one this year.

what a cure cat:

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

killchain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:36 pm 

I think the cat effort is hilarious. I really hope that it can be archived in some way so that today's state of the site can be reviewed later (it shows that for some of the more popular bands there's been an effort beyond just a random cat).

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:09 pm 

killchain wrote:
I think the cat effort is hilarious. I really hope that it can be archived in some way so that today's state of the site can be reviewed later (it shows that for some of the more popular bands there's been an effort beyond just a random cat).

Web Archives can help with this sort of thing perhaps? I agree it can be good for jokes like this that are much more site-wide, or like when Nickelback was added and shit got way out of control (I still have some of the album reviews saved in a word-doc because they made me cry-laugh). Not fully sure how the whole Web Archives thing works though

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:14 pm 

Methuen wrote:
One drawback to living in the sticks - the second the weather warms up, you don't get a nice quiet atmosphere, you get to listen to the incessant whine of chainsaws as someone demolishes a copse / hedge / row of trees. Some of them do it for fun (manly men doing manly things !), some do it to sell the wood (because they live like it's 1492), some do it because they're too bone-idle to work on a fence from the other side of the boundary (and y'know, talk to their neighbor).

It's actually one good effect of 'gentrification' in the country - the city types moving in might be painfully naive about things like farms / dogs / guns, but they by-and-large don't want to rip out every single bit of greenery they can find. Lots of them (in between trips in their shiny Land Rover or VW camper-mit-surfboards) have this Beatrix Potter image of headrows and songbirds, and so expend thousands on planting trees. Exitus Acta Probat I suppose.

/rant.

Noise pollution really gets on my nerves (living close to the military airport doesn't help)! Every autumn people buy wood (and some buy coal); it comes in lorries and I suspect a lot of it is stolen. Then I hear chainsaws all around as they cut wood into smaller pieces. My grandfather owns a forest, but we can't do anything to protect it because we live in a different part of the country and even donating it to the State Enterprise for Forest Management "Srbijašume" wouldn't make a change because they don't have enough ''rangers'' and the ones in charge don't care about poachers. :cry:

killchain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:14 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
killchain wrote:

Web Archives can help with this sort of thing perhaps? I agree it can be good for jokes like this that are much more site-wide, or like when Nickelback was added and shit got way out of control (I still have some of the album reviews saved in a word-doc because they made me cry-laugh). Not fully sure how the whole Web Archives thing works though

If you're talking about Wayback Machine and things like this, it's a hit or miss, because those sites (from what I know) rely on bots actually crawling through the site and taking snapshots (so they might not go through the site at all on that date, and even if they do, they would only capture a couple of band pages).

I was thinking that whoever implemented that feature in the first place (I don't know who actually develops the site) probably wouldn't be very troubled to keep a table of which cat image url was mapped to which band, then allow something like appending '?cats=true' to the URL to load the page for each band, but with cat image - otherwise it's a bit of a wasted effort (I doubt anyone can see all bands in one day). All I'm saying is that I think it's worthy preserving this because it's a genuinely good joke.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:38 pm 

I noticed the site is being slower than usual today, on all my devices. Increased traffic perhaps, because cats? It seems to have made quite a splash in other corners of the internet.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:04 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
I noticed the site is being slower than usual today, on all my devices. Increased traffic perhaps, because cats? It seems to have made quite a splash in other corners of the internet.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:07 pm 

So far every Russian band I’ve searched, the cat is wearing a babushka :lol: Getting a cat to put up with being costumed, now that takes real effort!

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:17 pm 

My fav one so far is Summoning, with the Gandalf cat.
Fire walk with me"

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:31 pm 

Just came back from my first axe-throwing event. While I didn't win, it was still pretty fun to check out axe-throwing.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:50 pm 

killchain wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
killchain wrote:

If you're talking about Wayback Machine and things like this, it's a hit or miss, because those sites (from what I know) rely on bots actually crawling through the site and taking snapshots (so they might not go through the site at all on that date, and even if they do, they would only capture a couple of band pages).

I was thinking that whoever implemented that feature in the first place (I don't know who actually develops the site) probably wouldn't be very troubled to keep a table of which cat image url was mapped to which band, then allow something like appending '?cats=true' to the URL to load the page for each band, but with cat image - otherwise it's a bit of a wasted effort (I doubt anyone can see all bands in one day). All I'm saying is that I think it's worthy preserving this because it's a genuinely good joke.

WAYBACK MACHINE yes, that's the one. Thanks!

But yeah your suggestion sounds cool too, at least for the more unique choices. Or find some way to index this version of the site, I don't know. It'd just be a shame to go through all that work just for 1 day and then axe it all.

killchain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:06 am 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
It'd just be a shame to go through all that work just for 1 day and then axe it all.

Yeah, exactly my thoughts. They actually kept it at a subdomain (looking at the headline at the home page today).

https://cats.metal-archives.com

Seems that they're the very same that they were yesterday, which is awesome. A+ for effort!

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:01 am 

Slater922 wrote:
Just came back from my first axe-throwing event. While I didn't win, it was still pretty fun to check out axe-throwing.

Yes axe-throwing is fun, even though I’m not very good. Turns out being tall and long-armed is kind of a disadvantage.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:46 am 

Maybe a "show us your Kitties" sticky for cat pics? I have four running around here. Cats are metal AF.

Like your reviews?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290 ... 332  Next