Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:37 pm 

Today I experienced a split-second of dissociation after opening a band page and instead of seeing a cute kitty, seeing this:

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:35 pm 

killchain wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
It'd just be a shame to go through all that work just for 1 day and then axe it all.

Yeah, exactly my thoughts. They actually kept it at a subdomain (looking at the headline at the home page today).

https://cats.metal-archives.com

Seems that they're the very same that they were yesterday, which is awesome. A+ for effort!

I saw! This is great! Thanks Mods!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:18 pm 

So I listen to a podcast called Our Fake History, where a teacher/musician does pretty deep dives into historical events, myths, and misconceptions and explores what the truth behind the events may or may not have been. Recently he did a two-parter about Elizabeth Bathory, and there's some pretty astonishing facts about the case that cast some serious doubt onto everything we thought we knew about the so-called Blood Countess. There is a very high chance that it was, in fact, a political hit-piece designed to remove one of the most prominent opponents to the formation of the Holy Roman Empire from her position of authority. And even if that wasn't true, almost literally everything else we know about her (bathing in blood, being a psychopath as a child, etc.) is complete poppycock.

History be wild.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:07 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
So I listen to a podcast called Our Fake History, where a teacher/musician does pretty deep dives into historical events, myths, and misconceptions and explores what the truth behind the events may or may not have been. Recently he did a two-parter about Elizabeth Bathory, and there's some pretty astonishing facts about the case that cast some serious doubt onto everything we thought we knew about the so-called Blood Countess. There is a very high chance that it was, in fact, a political hit-piece designed to remove one of the most prominent opponents to the formation of the Holy Roman Empire from her position of authority. And even if that wasn't true, almost literally everything else we know about her (bathing in blood, being a psychopath as a child, etc.) is complete poppycock.

History be wild.
That kind of undermines Quorthon's decision to name his band after her because of that false reputation, doesn't it?

:-D

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:31 am 

Cats are awesome. Particularly prog bands being signified with keyboard cats. Even the distinction is cool - some of them are typing on a keyboard looking like genuises, some sleep on a keyboard, and poor, spineless Dream Theater gets smashed UNDER everyone's favorite typing device. Good stuff.
... stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:13 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

History be wild.

Wow......so you’re saying that Venom, and fucking Slayer lied to me? This is unconscionable...how could they? I thought they were true!
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:40 pm 

I think it's also been reckoned that Vlad the Impaler's reputation was largely magnified way back then, as a mean to scare off, thus deter potential invaders.

I think people who grew up with Games of Thrones may be disappointed one day to learn that history was mostly mundane, and characters like that were few and far between

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:51 pm 

You mean, that story about Vlad placing a cup outside in the courtyard, and the whole country being too afraid to move it for his entire reign, might not be real? Dang it, that is the grimmest little factoid ever!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:59 pm 

OMG friends, look at my buddy's new dog:

And with his mom:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:45 pm 

Colour is exactly like my sister’s dog. What a giant lap dog :) Australian Shepherd?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:57 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

History be wild.

Yeah I recently learned this same shit about Gilles de Rais, and it's like, super obvious in hindsight that a guy found guilty of murdering, sodomizing, and eating 150 children is probably bullshit when zero evidence of anything was ever found (not even children were missing in the surrounding areas) and the guy was massively wealthy and a close ally of uhh Joan of fuckin' Arc. Like, duh it's a church conspiracy, why the fuck did I never once question that until it was pointed out to me?
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:39 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Colour is exactly like my sister’s dog. What a giant lap dog :) Australian Shepherd?

Bernese Mountain Dog and he's still nowhere near fully grown!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:57 am 

That dog is awesome!

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:22 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Spoiler: show
OMG friends, look at my buddy's new dog:

And with his mom:

Now that's an epic dog :headbang:

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:00 am 

My storage upgrade and my Debian image are here - tonight I both open up & physically upgrade my mac, AND finally get off High Sierra (which finally became unsupported this year)

Dear Apple, if only you hadn't decided to deprecate the entire 32bit software universe, you'd still have a reasonably dedicated fan here.

The last time I installed a Linux distro from scratch (Fedora many years ago) I ended up with a bricked Packard-Bell laptop that just made strange gurgling sounds, and eventually caught fire. Trusting that the mac behaves better :lol:

Obligatory XKCD -

Spoiler: show

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:22 am 

Fear Of The Dark (Symphony Pandemic Iron Maiden Cover)

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:04 pm 

I would like to cancel my subscription to h*u*m*a*n* c*o*n*s*c*i*o*u*s*n*e*s*s*. I was given the free trial 3 decades ago as a Valentines Day gift and am just not interested in the product anymore.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:23 pm 

earthcubed's gone? :thumbsdown:

I didn't always agree with what he had to say, but it was at least interesting to read.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:15 pm 

~Guest 21181 wrote:
I would like to cancel my subscription to h*u*m*a*n* c*o*n*s*c*i*o*u*s*n*e*s*s*. I was given the free trial 3 decades ago as a Valentines Day gift and am just not interested in the product anymore.

Uh......is it just me or is this guy alluding to suicide?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:17 pm 

SuperVeji4 wrote:
~Guest 21181 wrote:

I hope not. I also realized that he deleted his account on MA as well. I hope he's doing alright.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:23 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:

Bernese Mountain Dog and he's still nowhere near fully grown!

That is going to be a mountain of a dog! My sister thought she was getting a Bernese because of the colouring, and five years later he’s topped out at 50 lbs. :lol: This guy should easily double that size.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:30 pm 

Who's with me signing a petition for duplicate cats to be replaced with dogs? V●ᴥ●V

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:57 am 

Slater922 wrote:
SuperVeji4 wrote:
~Guest 21181 wrote:

I hope not. I also realized that he deleted his account on MA as well. I hope he's doing alright.
A post count in the thousands and the account is from 2004. Really strange that he deleted his account. I hope he is doing ok as well.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:15 pm 

TIL: Republicans from Georgia are trying to ban Coca-Cola from their office.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/ge ... ir-offices

If this doesn't scream irony, then I don't know what does. :???:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:38 pm 

Remember back in the day when Republicans tried to make "Freedom Fries" a thing to try to cancel France when they decided they didn't want to participate in war crimes in Iraq with the US?

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:03 pm 

Arctic walrus dozes off on iceberg, wakes up to find himself in Ireland. Then hitches rides back up north on passing ships: https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/ne ... reland-now
:lol: I’m sure many of us have had to sleep one off and woke up disoriented, but that’s a bit much!

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:21 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Arctic walrus dozes off on iceberg, wakes up to find himself in Ireland. Then hitches rides back up north on passing ships: https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/ne ... reland-now
:lol: I’m sure many of us have had to sleep one off and woke up disoriented, but that’s a bit much!
Must be an extremely heavy sleeper, or in some rare occurrence it had calm seas for over 900 miles. I've been in that area, but on a big giant US Navy warship. When I was there, those were some extremely rough seas. Maybe the walrus got lucky for the entire journey. Either way its very funny.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:32 am 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
A post count in the thousands and the account is from 2004. Really strange that he deleted his account. I hope he is doing ok as well.[/quote]

Gruesome :/ Doesn't have an amusing youtube channel by any chance ?

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:03 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Remember back in the day when Republicans tried to make "Freedom Fries" a thing to try to cancel France when they decided they didn't want to participate in war crimes in Iraq with the US?

Ha, yep. I feel like Republicans have mastered the short-term memory of pulling stunts like this that are almost always embarrassing, but then they brush them aside as though they never happened once they backfire or fall short. But yes, I remember the Freedom Fries, all right. :lol:

Really makes me think about the War on Terrorism/Iraq. I grew up in a very religious/conservative town, and questioning the war in any form was pretty much social suicide. What a wonky time that was.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:25 pm 

In other news, I was thinking after seeing the news stories about Megan and Prince Henry that I didn't want to hear about the British royal family again until one of them fucking dies.

So...lmao

Invocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:43 pm 

Cracking jokes about someone on the day of their death isn't exactly dignified.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:47 pm 

Eh they're dead and won't see it anyway.

Invocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:49 pm 

I just don't think it's an appropriate time.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:15 pm 

Of course it's appropriate. Fuck monarchs.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:21 pm 

DMX is dead...

= (

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:43 pm 

Smalley wrote:
DMX is dead...

= (

I heard the news when I got back from school. RIP to him.

Gonna be blasting this album for the rest of the day :(

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:57 pm 

Invocation wrote:

The BBC have been unexpectedly respectful, haven't they ? Interrupted programming to make the announcement, played the national anthem, the works. They've even cancelled Gardener's World tomorrow (much hilarious rage from the fans).

He'd obviously done his time in hospital and gone home to die, can almost imagine the crabby old sod walking out having told the doctors exactly that.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:03 pm 

Like the one solitary good thing my country ever did was decide that monarchs fucking sucked so lol fuck your country's bullshit mascots. The only good mascot is Benny the Bull and I'll hear no words to the contrary.

This is a fun time for me because I always figured y'all's bass ackwards slobbering love of the queen stemmed from the fact that everybody wants to fuck her. It's now time to see if the country gets thirsty or if they go the simp route.

Invocation wrote:

Location wrote:
United Kingdom

Put one on the board for the simps!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:21 pm 

Yeah, I'm going to have to quit TV for a couple of weeks here now. The same 24 hour rolling nothing about the Prince.

Edit: what's hilarious to me is when he goes to hospital its all "routine checkups for pre-existing condition" then suddenly he is dead. What were they checking exactly, that he was breathing? The Royal Family is a major blind spot for the media in that fashion. He had obviously been pretty ill for ages.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:26 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Like the one solitary good thing my country ever did was decide that monarchs fucking sucked so lol fuck your country's bullshit mascots. The only good mascot is Benny the Bull and I'll hear no words to the contrary.

This is a fun time for me because I always figured y'all's bass ackwards slobbering love of the queen stemmed from the fact that everybody wants to fuck her. It's now time to see if the country gets thirsty or if they go the simp route.

Invocation wrote:

Location wrote:
United Kingdom

Put one on the board for the simps!

PhilosophyTube did an excellent video on the exact subject of folks wanting to "fuck the queen". I really recommend it. Also, fuck Prince Philip. The man lived in entirely undeserved luxury his whole goddamn life. Luxury built of the backs of a thousand colonies. He lived to 99 years old. I'd say that's a pretty good run to have lived wanting for nothing. Fuck 'em. As for DMX, as sad as it is that a clearly very talented rapper died so young due to an addiction, I have very complicated feelings over eulogizing a man who once wrote that he'd like to shoot gay men. Unrepentantly, might I add.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291 ... 332  Next