Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:42 am 

Black metal from members of Nekrovault.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:56 am 

The Lion's Daughter released a new album. Not my usual cup of tea but it's pretty good.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:29 am 

The new EP from Phlebotomized picks up where the last album left off:

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:08 pm 

For fans of Mgla, Odraza, Blaze of Perdition, etc.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:35 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
The new EP from Phlebotomized picks up where the last album left off

Really digging this. It's giving me vibes of an obscure band I really miss, Royal Anguish, partially due to the keyboards, the tuning, and a bit from the harsh vocals.

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:01 pm 

https://thronemetal.bandcamp.com/album/pestilent-dawn

The quality speaks for itself.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:09 pm 

Dark The Suns just released Suru raivosi sydämeni pimeydessä. It's some quite good gothic-flavored melodic death metal. Some beautifully splendid piano playing enhances the driving sound. Most of the tracks are more along the lines of the first one, but I wanted to include the second as well as the most piquant of the mellower ones, almost atmospheric death/doom-like. Apparently having at least some lyrics in Finnish is a magic charm for albums for me in the past year.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:59 pm 

Some promising stuff came out today that others have mentioned and is on my list, but I came here to post this:

snarg wrote:

I haven't given the others much in terms of listens because I can't stop playing this Throne album. Blackened Technical Death Metal? Technical Death/Black Metal? Melodic Deathened Technical Blackened Metal? I don't really give a shit what you want to label it, it's fucking awesome.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:56 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
If you're into dark, cavernous death metal like Dead Congregation, Spectral Voice, Engulfed, Cruciamentum etc. I'd suggest you check out this EP by Fossilization, a new band formed by members of Jupiterian.

Just checked this out, pretty great stuff. Hopefully they come out with a full-length later in the year. This year started out really slowly, but it's picking up and looking more auspicious by the week.

rafa_hell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:31 pm 

hallowed78 wrote:
Off-beat insane prog death from India. Hannes Grossmann on drums and a bunch of other guests.

https://moralcollapse.bandcamp.com/

This is the most impressive stuff I've heard this year. H O L Y S H I T

Never been too much into Hanes' work, but this shit sounds so clean it's unbelievable

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:05 am 

I listened to that one just a bit ago. Pretty dense stuff, but it's engaging enough. This year is finally starting to get on a roll.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:46 am 

Maybe the year started a bit slow but there has been some great releases already.
Most of this has already been mentioned but I'd like to second The Crown, Fractal Generator, Kjeld, Ad Nauseam, Human Serpent, Los Males Del Mundo, Omination, Dvne, Moral Collapse, Throne, Suffering Hour, Laboured Breath and Yoth Iria.
Apologies for the shopping list but most has already been mentioned here and I'm not great at describing music anyway.
All in all, I'm still struggling just to keep up and I'm positive 2021 will be another very solid year for metal music in general.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:08 pm 

Steel Bearing Hand is legit a killer act. Definitely some Deceased comparisons but I think they're actually onto their own unique sound. You just know when a band has the good shit for riff-writing and these guys have it in spades. I like how raw and wild it sounds and how the vocals sort of change up - gives it a reckless, unhinged feel.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:38 pm 

I'm really enjoying Goath's new album, this is some vicious blackened death metal.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:13 pm 

New Icelandic black metal courtesy of Forsmán.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:06 pm 

Sludgy doom from Ireland that I quite enjoy

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:00 pm 

A new black metal project featuring members of Manes and Whoredom Rife:

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:07 pm 

I've been really into Reaper - The Atonality of Flesh lately. They play first-wave black metal, taking particular influence from Bathory's s/t album. Even though there has been an explosion of Black/Speed/Thrash bands as of late, it's kind of refreshing to hear a band drop the Motörhead and Venom dominate compositions for the early Bathory sound and do it well. Really fun stuff that scratches the itch. Cover art is killer as well:
Spoiler: show

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:46 pm 

The new Saille album is pretty solid symphonic black metal.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:26 pm 

The new Wheel album Preserved In Time is a solid epic/traditional doom release. If you're a fan of Solitude Aeternus or even bands like Warning you might enjoy it.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:36 pm 

Kalaratri, mate... You're a fucking machine. Keep 'em coming!

Velvet_Creation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:55 pm 

I am pretty sure Djevel's new album will be phenomenal.
The new vocalist Kvitrim (Mare, Vemod, Black Majesty, Kaosritual,...) really suits the style.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:58 pm 

Velvet_Creation wrote:
I am pretty sure Djevel's new album will be phenomenal.
The new vocalist Kvitrim (Mare, Vemod, Black Majesty, Kaosritual,...) really suits the style.

This should go in the Most Anticipated Albums thread if the album isn't out yet, this thread is for albums that have already been released.

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:19 pm 

Don't want to open a new thread just for this, but, how fucking awesome is the new Kjeld album? There isn't a single missed note in there.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:40 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
I'm really enjoying Goath's new album, this is some vicious blackened death metal.

This is pretty sick. Thanks!

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:58 am 

snarg wrote:
Don't want to open a new thread just for this, but, how fucking awesome is the new Kjeld album? There isn't a single missed note in there.

Totally agree, it's also one of my favourites this year as I mentioned on my previous post.
Sounds savage and unhinged but so well put together. Not to mention it's worth for the drumming alone...

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:12 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:
(...) I came here to post this:

snarg wrote:

I haven't given the others much in terms of listens because I can't stop playing this Throne album. Blackened Technical Death Metal? Technical Death/Black Metal? Melodic Deathened Technical Blackened Metal? I don't really give a shit what you want to label it, it's fucking awesome.

Yeah, I have to agree, this is excellent death metal. Not unique by any means, but very well crafted and very mature, considering it is a debut.

I wouldn't call it melodic tho, I think it might scare some people away. For me, melodic death metal is Dark Tranquility, Amon Amarth, Opeth, Be'lakor, that kind of band. This is nothing like that.
I also don't think it's a particularly technical album in the flashy sense of the word. Don't get me wrong, these guys can play and I'm sure if their objective was to sound like a Necrophagist clone they would accomplish it. But it's not that kind of album at all.
The black metal elements, although present, noticeable and welcome, are minimal, in my opinion. This is just a solid death metal album. I would compare it maybe to Behemoth at their most death metal but less mystical/ominous and more direct and pissed off. I hear a bit of Hate Eternal in there as well.

Listening to this album reminds me of when I discovered Desecravity back in 2012 with Implicit Obedience. Not because both bands sound that much alike, but because I had a similar feeling. I remember thinking this is what I want from "modern" death metal. It's fast, brutal, heavy but it doesn't sound plastic and is chock-full full of riffs.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:41 pm 

For those of you into bands such as Ulcerate, Gigan, Wake, Pyrrhon, Cephalic Carnage and similar off-kilter, dissonant death metal acts, give this a spin or two.

https://balttw.bandcamp.com/album/nightmare-withdrawals

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:30 pm 

For those looking for some new Swedeath, the new Endseeker album is not a bad bet.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:47 pm 

I discovered this album today, pretty straightforward black metal with a bit of a melodic edge.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:13 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
For those looking for some new Swedeath, the new Endseeker album is not a bad bet.

Swedeath, via Germany. Nothing particularly amazing or unique about this one, but for a no thrills approach it delivers the goods quite satisfactorily, particularly since there hasn't been much of it so far this year.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:34 am 

therealvivs wrote:
For those of you into bands such as Ulcerate, Gigan, Wake, Pyrrhon, Cephalic Carnage and similar off-kilter, dissonant death metal acts, give this a spin or two.

that description seemed like it would be right up my alley, but i only got through four tracks before giving it a hard pass - way too much djenty deathcore stuff in there for me, which is a shame since the rest of it sounded pretty decent

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:46 am 

joppek wrote:
therealvivs wrote:

that description seemed like it would be right up my alley, but i only got through four tracks before giving it a hard pass - way too much djenty deathcore stuff in there for me, which is a shame since the rest of it sounded pretty decent

Yeah, I did notice those elements that you mentioned, and usually I am very allergic to them as well, but in this particular record it didn't bother me that much, honestly.
Sorry if I mislead you...

If you like this kind of bands, check out the thread Gravetemplar created in the recommendations section, if you haven't yet.
I believe it's called "bands like Ulcerate and Nero Di Marte". Lots of awesome bands mentioned there, maybe you'll find something you're not familiar with.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:09 am 

therealvivs wrote:
If you like this kind of bands, check out the thread Gravetemplar created in the recommendations section, if you haven't yet.
I believe it's called "bands like Ulcerate and Nero Di Marte". Lots of awesome bands mentioned there, maybe you'll find something you're not familiar with.

yeah, i've perused that thread a while back - lots of good stuff in there :thumbsup:

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:08 am 

Ewige Finsternis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:00 pm 

For listeners of Darkspace

Sphere (Fra) - π (2021) Atmospheric Black Metal

Trailer:

https://transcendance-bm.bandcamp.com/album/sphere

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:15 pm 

There's a new Ringare album out for those interested:

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:52 pm 

More blackened thrash, this time from Indonesia's Spellforger.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:02 pm 

Ewige Finsternis wrote:
For listeners of Darkspace

Sphere (Fra) - π (2021) Atmospheric Black Metal

Came here to post this. This sounds phenomenal.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:44 pm 

I just heard the new Spectral Wound album and I am absolutely blown-the-fuck-away. This could be the one this year.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next