Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:58 am 

I'm curious about Undead and Unborn. I enjoy the music and think Barnes sounds good on those two. Having read other opinions and reviews, it seems there are a good amount of people who share my thoughts as well. But I can't help wonder if it was due to some studio magic or did he actually give a good in-studio performance?

Mountain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:47 pm 

Love the first four Cannibal Corpse albums and can't imagine anyone else doing those vocals for them. I remember hearing about Six Feet Under and got Haunted when it came out. Technically it was very tame to the CC albums, but overall is a good album with later Obituary riffs and Barnes on vocals. His performance was pretty good on that album, even the "Alive & Dead" EP wasn't bad. It was in '97, I picked up Warpath and thought the songwriting was subpar and Barnes couldn't hit those lows anymore. Not sure if he ever recovered on any of the future albums as I never listened to them. Didn't hear good things about the latest.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:54 pm 

I have actually heard good comments on Undead and I think I even got it sitting at the bottom of my "check one of these days" list so it's not that they're 100% worthless after all, but I'm not sure I've got the motivation to find out.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:27 pm 

goetia_unreleased wrote:
I'm curious about Undead and Unborn. I enjoy the music and think Barnes sounds good on those two. Having read other opinions and reviews, it seems there are a good amount of people who share my thoughts as well. But I can't help wonder if it was due to some studio magic or did he actually give a good in-studio performance?

I think he was creatively revitalized. The band had done the same kind of record for several years, and the creative fatigue and limitations were obvious. Barnes seems like the kind of guy that rolls with the talent he's around, and he adapted to his personnel when the lineup shifted on Undead and Unborn rather than making them conform to the usual schtick. Same thing happened when he collaborated with the Cannabis Corpse guys on Crypt of the Devil. Everything around the band deteriorates when they stick to the same formula and get complacent. I'm not saying Barnes will magically kill it if Six Feet Under does something different in the future, but it can't hurt to try, although his voice sounded really, really shot on the last one they did.

Obligatory Last FM Link

megadeth93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:04 pm 

Quote:
The only one I can think of from that era who even approaches his early level of influence is maybe, MAYBE Joe Ptacek

Ever heard of someone called John Tardy? Or even a Mr G. Benton? Both had a little bit of influence I would say.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:40 pm 

megadeth93 wrote:
Quote:
The only one I can think of from that era who even approaches his early level of influence is maybe, MAYBE Joe Ptacek

Ever heard of someone called John Tardy? Or even a Mr G. Benton? Both had a little bit of influence I would say.

Yeah that's a weird comment, If he said Frank Mullen, it probably would've been true, I don't know how overall influential Broken Hope was, but that's one of those bands I found on my own as opposed to hearing everyone and their mother talking about it before I finally listened, like with Suffocation.

Perhaps.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:05 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I agree with basically everybody with working ears who says he started truly sucking on The Bleeding and never recovered, but man have you ever heard isolated vocal tracks from Tomb? Dude was pretty fucking rough already by the third album.

Things can always get worse:

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:05 am 

Fearoth wrote:

I created this video. For shits and giggles, naturally.

"TNT, watch me explEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:59 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

It's so bad my immediate thought was 'this can't be real'

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:31 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Fearoth wrote:

:D 00:26 is edited in... right? It just has to be.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:48 am 

Holy shit I was laughing right the way through that video.

How does he think that sounds good?

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:33 pm 

It’s Barnes summoning his inner dolphin..EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
He started doing that during live shows while touring during The Bleeding. What else can be said that’s not already said. His voice is shot and he never really took care of himself. He started out as a thrash vocalist then figured out how to growl; the first 3 CC albums sounded like his growl was getting lower then he plateaued around Tomb even though his voice was fairly EQed and buried in the mix to make himself sound lower.

jugchord07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 12:18 am 

Calling Barnes work with CC pig squeals is wild lol.
Agreed on hearing the decline start on The Bleeding although it's probably my favorite CC album tied with Vile. I think the major decline happened after Haunted from SFU though. I actually think his vocals work on the Commandments album though. That may just been because that album was one of the first death metal albums I bought though so it carries a strong nostalgia for me. I wish his vocals weren't so grating through because for the most part I actually really dig the instrumental aspect of a lot of the SFU material

Review requests http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=74246

My blog http://foulfeast.blogspot.com

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:41 am 

I think the first real recorded EEEEEE screech of his was on this demo version of Devoured By Vermin from 1995

VerMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2