Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:06 am 

I shouldn't have been surprised given how bad their last album was, but I guess all the lawsuits, band drama and delays resulting from them somehow made me expect something more than this total nothing single. FF I consider one of my favorite bands but I feel they're just done creatively at this point.

I will say this about Genexus: album closer "Expiration Date" is one of the best songs they've ever done, just a big pot of gold at the end of that shit rainbow. No metal album is a better example of "one good song" to me and I guess I'm still clinging on to some hope of Aggression Continuum pulling something similar.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:16 am 

Genexus was a solid enough album imo - Expiration Date is best-of material, but Regenerate isn't far behind. If this new track is the best they can give us as a teaser in 2021, things are looking pretty bleak.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:49 am 

I thought Genexus was brilliant. If the new album is as good as that, I'd be delighted.

This new song is standard Fear Factory fare - solid but unspectacular. I felt they released the worst song first when they put out The Industrialist - hopefully it'll be the same here.

snowpants
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:37 am 

I thought the song was ok, but I still have some cautious optimism for the rest of the record. I loved Genexus, and this track reminds me of Soul Hacker. Which, if I'm remembering correctly, was the first single from that album, and probably my least favorite track. So I'm hoping the same case happens here.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:12 am 

Well here's the official video:

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:57 am 

As far as the new song is concerned, it's pretty average. Nothing particularly stands out and it feels like it doesn't really go anywhere.

HR90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:07 pm 

Generic song, 4 minutes, and nowhere I get hooked.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:04 pm 

According to Dino they're in the final stages of finalizing the new vocalist:

https://blabbermouth.net/news/dino-cazares-is-days-away-from-deciding-on-new-singer-for-fear-factory-ive-found-some-really-good-talent/

BleedingMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:50 pm 

All that hype and build up, interviews, features, teasers etc etc....and that's what comes out at the end of it?

I mean....that could have been shat out in about 10 minutes by any no name semi industrial band.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:46 pm 

There's a new song due tomorrow (Fuel Injected Suicide Machine), but it's already 'out there'. It's got a nice vocal hook, but the riffing is bog standard FF stuff.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:07 am 

It's better than "Disruptor" but unfortunately this song lacks energy as well.

Unas
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:54 am 

I didn't have high hopes for the album, but the two songs are blander and less inspired than even I was expecting. I was hoping some of the energy that was prevalent throughout Mechanize, The Industrialist, and Genexus would come through, but it looks like this is going to be their worst album since Transgression.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:05 pm 

Oddeye wrote:
It's better than "Disruptor" but unfortunately this song lacks energy as well.

Unfortunately, this is what I think, as well. I think all the drama surrounding the band is sullying my excitement towards these songs, but I think overall this is going to be a bit of a let-down.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:24 pm 

It sounds bland, yeah. I'll pass one this when it's released.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:03 pm 

I shut it off at 3:52. It's just so...nothing. There's no urgency or energy or fun in that song. It's a boring piece of nothing.

Also, I will always be astounded at Fear Factory's ability to make Mike fucking Heller into the most monotonous, boring drummer possible.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:06 pm 

You can always tell when FF is hitting their usual infighting; the album that comes out during it is usually janky; Digimortal, Transgression, this doesn't sound like much different.

I liked those two but they were definitely FF's weaker stuff.

Shad_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:31 pm 

I haven't listened to Fear Factory in ages, but these new songs suggest I haven't missed much. I sometimes wonder if a lot of big success by metal standards bands feel financially pressured to keep going eons beyond inspiration when musically-speaking everyone would have been better off calling it a good run and moving on to new projects.

At least there are a lot of Fear Factory-inspired bands out there creating tunes on a higher level. The new Mechina release this year is really great.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:48 pm 

Mechina is fine but also extremely bloated at the same time. If they didn't try to be so grandiose at all times they'd be better.

Speed Metal Terror
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:55 pm 

I heard that new song today while cruising around and thought it was a track I forgot about from The Industrialist.
It sounded like Fear Factory, but otherwise didn't generate much of a thought beyond that.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:49 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
I think overall this is going to be a bit of a let-down.

Maybe if it were released right after Genexus, but reading this thread it seems that most people think the album is going to be awful, so can it really be a letdown if everyone's expectations have already bottomed out?

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:30 am 

I think "Disruptor" was ok but not great but "Fuel Injected..." is great, is heavy and groovy and the chorus is good, I like the ending with the keys, its touching. I am surprised by the negativity around the new album. First reviews(yeah I know, maybe NB has given some money...) are great. Genexus was awesome, and the best songs, at least for me, were not singles so my expectations are still high.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:27 pm 

I heard that Fuel Injected Suicide Machine song the other day on YouTube. Not bad at all by any standards but it sounds inferior to anything off Mechanize and it sounded like it was mining from that album way too hard. I think the album will flow together well but individual songs are so damn nondescript.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:12 am 

So, I've listened to the leak of the album a couple of times and I must say I'm actually surprised. Genuinely surprised. The album is really good!
Like better than anything post-reunion in my view.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:59 am 

Fear Factory are uploading all their songs right now to YouTube. I won't link them here as they may be geo-locked at the moment (it's midnight in eastern Australia right now). Listened to a couple of them right now. It's...alright. It's not too different to their other stuff but I'm starting to believe that the exit of Burton might actually be a blessing for the band. I can't imagine I'm going to get this one unless it's on sale somewhere.

Hopefully some others get better enjoyment from it than I am.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:51 am 

First impression for me is pretty positive. Definitely think they put out two of the weaker songs prior to release (especially Disruptor). Riffing is a mixed bag, with some cool stuff mixed in with bog standard FF fare. Vocal hooks are the real highlight here - some really cool, catchy stuff. Some of the keyboard work is really effective too. Recode and the final run of Cognitive Dissonance, Monolith and End of Line are my early highlights.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:28 am 

As a fan I want to listen to the whole thing when I get the CD, but I have checked out the first half and its pretty impressive. I would like to mention the homonymous song as a true highlight, what a brutal track! Recode is the perfet album opener and Purity is less melodic that expected, I mean, its melodic but taking into account the descriptions I had read, I was expecting something more closer to Descent that what actually is. If I can, and it will be difficult, I will try to wait until I have the CD on my hands to check out the rest.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:04 am 

Well, apparently the new singer is Italian...

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/new-fear-factory-singer-is-italian-claims-ex-nightrage-frontman-antony-hamalainen/

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:32 am 

A few people have thought it to be a guy called Milo Silvestro for a fair while now.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:28 pm 

Just for anyone not in the know...

There's plans to put out an Aggression Continuum remix album, as well as re-releases of Mechanize and The Industrialist, in the not too distant future. The Industrialist is of particular interest because the drum machine has been replaced by live drums by Mike Heller, and "Enhanced Reality" has been put into the track list. This was originally written for The Industrialist, but wasn't finished in time, so was added as a bonus on Genexus instead.

Still no word on when the new vocalist will be announced though.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:38 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
Just for anyone not in the know...

There's plans to put out an Aggression Continuum remix album, as well as re-releases of Mechanize and The Industrialist, in the not too distant future. The Industrialist is of particular interest because the drum machine has been replaced by live drums by Mike Heller, and "Enhanced Reality" has been put into the track list. This was originally written for The Industrialist, but wasn't finished in time, so was added as a bonus on Genexus instead.

Still no word on when the new vocalist will be announced though.

I always figured it was only a matter of time before they'd reissue The Industrialist with real drums. I'm glad it's finally happening, and having Enhanced Reality added to the tracklist is cool too.

As for Mechanize, I'm hoping they include bonus tracks on there as well - like the 3 older songs they re-recorded during the sessions (one of which, Sangre de Niños, has never been released).

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:59 pm 

Unless the new version of The Industrialist blows the original out of the waters I wont be picking it up.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:13 pm 

Evoken wrote:
As for Mechanize, I'm hoping they include bonus tracks on there as well - like the 3 older songs they re-recorded during the sessions (one of which, Sangre de Niños, has never been released).

Dino's said there'll be bonus tracks from the Mechanize recording sessions on there, but hasn't gone into the exact specifics. Hopefully everything is included.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:20 pm 

Honestly I feel like FF is done at this point, any momentum they had is gone, especially since Dino's not saying anything about the new vocalist.

I'll take these remix versions if they give something new though.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:08 pm 

FF have been fairly rubbish since Obsolete - though Mechanize was a great “comeback”. Enjoyed that one. It had some balls. Apart from that, especially everything since Industrialist to current has been sub-par.

Sad as they were one of my all time favorite bands. Demanufacture was a gateway album for me, and I LOVED seeing them on the 20 year anniversary tour at Gramercy Theatre. Even Digimortal gives me some good nostalgic vibes, and had some pretty nifty stuff on it, though quite inconsistent and the first time I felt something was amiss.

Before Digimortal came out, I was walking past a Dean and Deluca and thought I saw Burton sitting inside by the window. Walked inside and lo and behold it was him and Christian. Apparently Roadrunner’s office was on top of the cafe and they were in town for promos. I asked them what the new album sounded like and Christian said, “you can Bob your head and groove to it”. I had an instant sinking feeling that they may be trying to latch onto the nu metal scene with that statement, and was proven correct. Unfortunately.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:57 am 

Funnily enough, I was just listening to a cameo Burton recently did, where he talked about Digimortal. He told the same story that the other members have also shared over the years - that the songs were originally heavier, but their label got in their ear and got them to make the songs more accessible, as they saw them as a potential cash cow after Obsolete went gold.

He also said the chorus to "Linchpin" is out of his range, and he was talked into singing it like that, and they just autotuned it after. So even if his voice wasn't completely shot, he'd still struggle with that one live.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:50 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
He told the same story that the other members have also shared over the years - that the songs were originally heavier, but their label got in their ear and got them to make the songs more accessible, as they saw them as a potential cash cow after Obsolete went gold.

The ever so respectable Roadrunner strikes again.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:59 pm 

Remix album is confirmed for Oct 28th

1. Adapt or Die - Intro Narrative By Jake Stern, Sound FX By Zardonic
2. Hatred Will Prevail - "Monolith" Remix By Rhys Fulber
3. Disobey - "Disruptor" Remix By Zardonic
4. I Am the Nightrider - "Fuel Injected Suicide Machine" Remix By Dualized/Zardonic
5. Path to Salvation - "Purity" Remix By Rhys Fulber
6. Worthless - "End of Line" Remix By Zardonic
7. Empires Fall - "Collapse" Remix By Tyrant Of Death
8. System Assassin - "Aggression Continuum" Remix By Rhys Fulber
9. Hypocrisy of Faith - "Manufactured Hope" Remix By Rob GEE
10. This Is My Life - "Cognitive Dissonance" Remix By Zardonic
11. Recoded - "Recode" Remix By Blush Response

Album art (spoiler tagged because it's a big image)
Spoiler: show

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:03 pm 

Some dumb remix album, but still no announcement on a new vocalist?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:26 pm 

I think they're waiting until they have some live dates lined up, and that's when they'll announce the singer and put out a new song.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:10 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
I think they're waiting until they have some live dates lined up, and that's when they'll announce the singer and put out a new song.

Burton's twin cousin confirmed!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next