Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:00 pm 

This is a thread for bands where you only like one album of theirs, and everything else they've recorded isn't your cup of tea. Also, don't try to cheat and include bands that only released one album like Repulsion. Here's a list of bands I only like with one album:

Immolation - Dawn of Possessions

Their debut album is an absolute classic, but I never really got into anything else they've released. "Here in After" and "Atonement" came close to DOP, but even then, they're probably the 500th album I'll listen to.

Deafheaven - Sunbather

Yeah, Deafheaven doesn't exactly have the best reputation in the metal scene to say the least, but "Sunbather" is a fantastic album. The other three albums however have an "it exists" type of quality.

Sarcófago - INRI

Even though it falls a bit more into thrash territory, INRI is still a fantastic war metal album. Everything else is kinda meh to me.

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare

It kinda sucks that the same band that made such awesome thrash riffs like in their debut album would later go on to make "Nothing to Gain".

Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times

DMT is an amazing black metal debut and part of some other classic black metal bands from 1994. The Shadowthrone was alright, but everything else after is completely forgettable.

Wintersun - Self-titled

Time I and The Forest Sessions are okay, but are WAY too cheesy for my taste. Their 2004 eponymous debut does balance the symphonic and extreme parts well, and a lot of the riffs are melodic and epic.

So those are the bands I can think of. How about yours?

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:05 pm 

Oathbreaker - Rheia

They completely changed their style for this album and it's a lot better than their previous stuff. They went from being Converge 2.0 to playing the kind of "black metal" Deafheaven play but much better.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:11 pm 

Entombed Entombed Entombed Entombed Entombed Entombed etc.

Left hand path fucking rips, its really just a brilliant fucking record, Clandestine on the other hand, is just boring to me and I cant stand the production or vocals at all not to mention they completely fuckin butchered severe burns and made it 10000 times worse than the nihilist version which is an eternal fucking classic and utterly amazing

The rest I've never even bothered with because I just dont really give a shit enough to try.

I kind of agree on Immolation but every once in a while I check out their second and third albums and they're actually pretty cool.

Over kills the years of decay is a real solid album, I actually really dig the slow shit as much as the fast but have never really cared beyond that album and the title track of Horrorscope which is a great track.

Perhaps.

Last edited by Thy Shrine on Wed May 05, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:13 pm 

Testament. The Legacy is a brilliant record. The rest of their output is mediocre thrash, and the less discussed about their 90s output, the better.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:17 pm 

Bloodbound just for Tabula Rasa - it's absurd that they did this at all as it's nothing like anything else they did. Urban breed is fucking ferocious and the guitars are wild and techy.

Jag Panzer for Ample Destruction - they have other good shit but I always just go for AD.

Tarot for Suffer Our Pleasures - same as Jag Panzer for this one too.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:28 pm 

I agree wholeheartedly on Testament, Death Angel, and Vio-lence in that those three bands never really topped their debuts. Some of the later stuff from Testament and Death Angel is okay, and the second albums from Testament and Vio-lence were not bad, but just, in general, they weren't as good as the debuts. Same deal with Sadus- that first album (pick which title you know it by) is easily their best stuff, the later stuff is more technical but not really "better" in my opinion. The debut albums from those four bands are among my top favorite thrash albums EVER as a matter of fact. That was right at the peak of thrash metal- 1986-1989, and things were never the same...

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:41 pm 

Exodus - Bonded by Blood
In my top five favorite thrash albums. Baloff's unhinged vocals spitting out evil and mean lyrics with those riffs is a show stopper. After that one the band just wasn't the same.

Sacred Oath - A Crystal Vision
Fantastic USPM with flare. I've dabbled with their other full-lengths but they don't have the same magic, and feel pedestrian when compared to the aforementioned.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:44 pm 

I wouldnt say that I dislike Krisiun but Ageless Venomous imo is a fantastic album, the rest of their material to me is just meh, not really bad but nothing great about it either. I suppose i could say the same about Vader although to a lesser extent. Most of Vader's work is good but it doesn't overly intrigue me, Litany on the other hand is such a great album. Wings is just ridiculously infectious.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:52 pm 

Queensryche for Operation:Mindcrime! I only like a handful of songs from the albums after that one. Of course I loved Warning and Rage... in entirety but the urge to revisit them is never really there and they sound dated (part of their appeal). Mindcrime is the one I hold up still when it comes to the band and what got me into them in the first place.

Invocator for Excursion Demise. Such a wild thrash album that sounds like nothing else. I have checked out the band's other stuff and nothing stuck like that first one.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:02 pm 

Behemoth comes close for me - The Satanist is great and the latest album is also good. But all the stuff before that is pretty much exactly the style of DM that does nothing for me, having heard quite a bit of it both on the albums and live. Maybe I'll give the early albums a shot sometime as I guess the clear conclusion is that I like their black metally stuff more, but it's not at the top of my priority list right now.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:03 pm 

Nemesea's debut "Mana" is pretty great, though it's also their only metal album. They turned into a more straight forward rock band after that, and... well, I hate everything they've done since, in all honesty.

"Mana" is a nice piece of symphonic/gothic metal, though - reminds me of After Forever and the first couple Epica albums.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:12 pm 

Vio-lence was pretty abysmal outside of EN yeah.

Cryptopsy would have fitted here for me for decades but BMF has started to grow on me finally, trash production and all.

Traveller is one of my favourite heavy metal albums but I don't particularly care about anything else Slough Feg did.

Nile never really did anything for me outside of Annihilation of the Wicked, but I do love that album.

Opeth's My Arms Your Hearse still holds up pretty good, but I never got into their other, more meandering and scattershot stuff.

Bloodbound is pretty disposable to garbage outside of Tabula Rasa.

Obituary's debut is pretty dank, everything else is snoozetime.

Rainbow's other albums aren't TERRIBLE, but Rising is all I give a shit about.

Svartidaudi's Flesh Cathedral is an obscene step above their... everything else.

Electric Wizard I'm sure have some other good stuff, but I just listen to Dopethrone over and over.

Adramelech are worthless after the amazing debut

Ahab lost the heaviness which made them so fun after the debut.

Altar of Plagues codified and mastered a genre on their first try, and everything else in the style, themselves included isn't worth my time.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:36 pm 

Daylight Dies' Dismantling Devotion is one of my favorite albums of all time. Melodic doom / death glory. That said, I don't think I care about anything else they've released. Lost to the Living is ok from what I remember. I almost never listen to it so I'm having trouble recalling it. A Frail Becoming was boring as fuck and No Reply is a no-go.

Saviour Machine. That first self-titled album is legendary. Early gothic metal goodness with superb leads. Very catchy and atmospheric stuff. But man, everything else they've done can't touch it. Saviour Machine II is ok but after that? Bad cover art, every album is a 2-hour slogfest (as with SMII), too many ballads - where's the magic? It's like they forgot that they're capable of writing a killer album. Can't get into any of it.

Terrorizer. World Downfall is a classic. Put on "Fear of Napalm" and mosh. Everything you could ask for in grind/death. Everything they've released after World Downfall? :lol: Middling bullshit.

Dominus. I only care about View to the Dim. It rules, and it's the only complete death metal album of theirs. Everything else I stay away from. Surprisingly, I'm a fan of post-Dominus aka Volbeat.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:08 pm 

doomicus wrote:
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
In my top five favorite thrash albums. Baloff's unhinged vocals spitting out evil and mean lyrics with those riffs is a show stopper. After that one the band just wasn't the same.

Good call. Their output with the Zetro and Dukes was mediocre at best. The rest of the 80's in particular was mediocre with a couple of great songs on most records, but they were never the same. Zetro could be as bad ass as Baloff, listen to Impaler as a great example. They seemed to run out of awesome riffs when Baloff left more than anything else.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:25 pm 

Kind of a taboo band to like round these parts nowadays but Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider. In my defence, those riffs are top notch and I bought the CD long before Schaeffer went nuts. Never really got into any of their other albums.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:29 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Opeth's My Arms Your Hearse still holds up pretty good, but I never got into their other, more meandering and scattershot stuff.

When was the last time you sat down with Still Life? I get not liking other Opeth, but to me Still Life is just My Arms but slightly better in every way.

HR90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:57 pm 

Forbidden - Twisted into Form

I like a lot the first four songs of the debut, but the others are just okay. Twisted into Form is just a monster album.

Exodus - Bonded by Blood

I never like any stuff they did later. I am not a fan of Zetro or Rob vocals.

Denial of Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:20 pm 

I’ve never really been a fan of Kreator outside of Pleasure to Kill. They have a bunch of good songs scattered around their discography outside of it but I don’t know, something about their other albums in-full just doesn’t grab me.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:24 pm 

Nuclear Assault - Game Over

Tried both “Survive” and “Handle with Care”, and they did nothing at all really. I was really surprised that HWC didn’t do much since it’s seen as their best album in many circles.

Gorguts - Obscura

Only dig this one, the rest just didn’t do too much for me unfortunately. Sucks because I love what they try to do but it just doesn’t click with me. I did like a few songs here and there though. And yeah, Obscura is basically perfect.

Autopsy - Severed Survival

I really wanted to like Mental Funeral and tried many times but goddamn it just didn’t happen :(. Maybe it’s just too slow or something (My wheelhouse is Thrash and the faster end of Death Metal). The others didn’t do anything noteworthy.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:04 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

When was the last time you sat down with Still Life? I get not liking other Opeth, but to me Still Life is just My Arms but slightly better in every way.

Um October or November Last year? I think it's way more scattered and the riffs and hooks are worse. Nothing really hooks or grabs me on it. Really don't see why it's such a popular album with them, I'd probably have it only above Deliverence and Morningrise as far as their pre-progfolk days go.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:10 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Oathbreaker - Rheia

[...] the kind of "black metal" Deafheaven play but much better.

Bless this comment. This is exactly how I feel about Rheia.

Amorphis come to mind in this case. I love Tales from the Thousand Lakes but nothing else in their discography really does it for me. I like The Karelian Isthmus, but it doesn't grab me the way TFTTL does.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:22 am 

I'm sure there are numerous, but Exodus definitely comes to mind,

I absolutely love Bonded by Blood, it's just such a ferocious record with tons of energy, insane riffs, speed, screams, hooks, everything. Probably one of my favourite albums ever. But anything else they ever did does absolutely nothing for me, nothing at all. Everything that came after just felt stale by comparison.

In some cases a band needs a few albums to really fine-tune their sound and find themselves, like with Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer, Bolt Thrower, Accept etc... But for some the first one just captures something magical.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:26 am 

Sentenced - North From Here
Morgoth - Odium
Immolation - Dawn Of Possession
Merauder - Masterkiller

There was life left in Vio-lence after Eternal Nightmare, it was called Oppressing The Masses and it was fuckin wicked.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:51 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
There was life left in Vio-lence after Eternal Nightmare, it was called Oppressing The Masses and it was fuckin wicked.

It wasn't as unhinged as Eternal Nightmare, but it was damn good.

Riffs wrote:

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:55 am 

testament - the legacy was mentioned previously, and i agree - none of their later albums do much for me

but while testament has stayed mediocrely decent after their great debut, decapitated hasn't - the debut is fantastic, but i can't stomach anything after

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:07 am 

Body Count - Body Count. I like this album quite a bit. Anything after it really doesn't do it for me.

Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli. I do not anything prior to this by them, even their real black metal stuff. I don't like the hot topic "black metal" that they played after this. For some reason, I really got into this album by them and that was it.

Last edited by ~Guest 2944 on Thu May 06, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:28 am 

Darkthrone's black metal material doesn't appeal to me, but their more death metal-sounding Soulside Journey suits my tastes much better.

Most of the rest of these aren't so much artists I dislike other than a single album as much as they are bands with a massive gulf in my feelings towards one particular album compared to the others.

I increasingly find things I appreciate about their earlier albums, but Celtic Frost's Monotheist is by far the one that engrosses me.

There's perfectly fine material throughout Nightwish's discography, but Wishmaster is the primary one that I keep returning to, other than maybe their live material with Floor.

Machine Head has a few other good albums, but to me their only great one is The Blackening.

There are scattered songs here and there I like on the others, but the only Pantera album I still spend much time with is Cowboys From Hell.

Threat Signal's later material has its moments, but I primarily like them based on Under Reprisal.

Nonexist's Deus Deceptor is a killer album, and while the others are varying degrees of fine-good, that is the one I keep returning to.

I like something about most Megadeth albums, but almost every single one is significantly flawed in some way, except for Rust In Peace, which is one of my favorite metal albums, period.

Terri23 wrote:
Testament. The Legacy is a brilliant record. The rest of their output is mediocre thrash, and the less discussed about their 90s output, the better.

I'm really surprised to see so many mentions of this album. Do all of you guys really dislike The Gathering?

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Nemesea's debut "Mana" is pretty great, though it's also their only metal album. They turned into a more straight forward rock band after that, and... well, I hate everything they've done since, in all honesty.

"Mana" is a nice piece of symphonic/gothic metal, though - reminds me of After Forever and the first couple Epica albums.

They do have some more metallic material scattered on their later albums, but yeah, as a band and on an album basis they're mostly a different band after that. Still some good songs here and there, and Manda's voice is always fantastic, but it's a whole different vibe later on.

OzzyApu wrote:
Daylight Dies' Dismantling Devotion is one of my favorite albums of all time. Melodic doom / death glory. That said, I don't think I care about anything else they've released. Lost to the Living is ok from what I remember. I almost never listen to it so I'm having trouble recalling it. A Frail Becoming was boring as fuck and No Reply is a no-go.

This is fascinatingly troubling. To me they are one of the most consistent bands out there. The debut is less polished, but the last three are all very similar in overall approach and production. I would have trouble picking a favorite if I was forced to. There are minor differences between them, but it's hard to conceive of people loving one and not the others.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:17 am 

Leviathan - Scar Sighted

I heavily dislike his early era (The Tenth Sub Level Of Suicide and Tentacles of Whorror aren't any good), Massive Conspiracy Against All Life was ok I guess but I'm not a fan either. True Traitor, True Whore was truly atrocious. Scar Sighted on the other hand is a fascinating mix of black metal and death metal.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:16 am 

The Ocean (Collective) - Pelagial

This is one of my favourite albums ever. The concept is the different layers of the sea and the songs represent, musically, an immersion deeper and deeper into the sea. The songwriting reflects this in an amazing way with the album starting of light and quick and gradually moves to slower and heavier songs. Everything here is top notch and I couldn't wait to listen to their earlier stuff. So I did and not only did it do nothing for me I actually thought it was pretty boring and bad. They then released Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic and while it has its moment its nothing I listen to. I haven't heard the latest album though.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Pincushion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:57 am 

Into Eternity - Buried in Oblivion

One of my favorites of all time, but I can't get into any of their other albums as much as I've tried. Chris Krall must have been the secret ingredient. According to his M-A page, he hasn't done anything else which is a shame.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:59 am 

I'll pass on basically everything Ghost have ever released but I've been listening to their last single religiously these past few months. Kiss the Go-Goat and Mary on a Cross are ridiculously catchy Absolutely the best material they've ever put out, at least since Square Hammer.

I've avoided everything by Talashar other than the 2017 rerecording of Secrets of the Astral Art. From what I remember, their other albums are a bit too amateurish and weird for me.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:49 pm 

I think the band Esoteric is the most prominent example of this for me (I've given the explanation of it on the forum before: there are some extreme doom metal-related bands who have a few relatively accessible songs/or even an album that I like).
I can listen to (and enjoy) the track "NOXBX9701040", and I was able to get into the album "Paragon of Dissonance", but I cannot listen to any other Esoteric's songs/albums at all, because the musical styles and atmosphere on those songs/albums are way too extreme for me.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:57 pm 

Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Deicide - Legion
Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption

I guess it was the producer who made those albums so amazing because none of those bands were able to come with anything remotely decent afterward.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:59 pm 

Bolt Thrower based on Those Once Loyal. Granted I haven't listened to a whole of other Bolt Thower albums, but what I have listened to doesn't hit quite the same for some reason.

Arsis based on the A Diamond for Disease. That EP is a case study in being perfectly self-contained, and exactly as long as it needs to be, and it absolutely rips. Nothing else from Arsis that I've heard is like that.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:06 pm 

Wrldeatr wrote:
Deicide - Legion

I guess it was the producer who made those albums so amazing because none of those bands were able to come with anything remotely decent afterward.

Nah, Napalm Death have a pretty solid discography and they have some stuff that's better than Harmony Corruption: Enemy of the Music Business and The Code Is Red... Long Live the Code. Smear Campaign, Time Waits for No Slave and Utilitarian are pretty cool too.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:02 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Sarcófago - INRI

Even though it falls a bit more into thrash territory, INRI is still a fantastic war metal album. Everything else is kinda meh to me.

I can’t stand the drum machine, on the later stuff. It makes it sound like some parody on YouTube. INRI, on the other hand, actually sounds bestial. Way better trash can snare, than St. Anger.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:39 pm 

Funny how I absolutely love these albums, but the other stuff these bands have released seems to me boring at best: Amberian Dawn's debut. Katra's debut (the one with Finnish lyrics). Epica's Consign to Oblivion. Amaranthe's debut (they were on the Archives back then IIRC). Raven Tide's Ever Rain (EP).
Not "love" but enjoy a lot: Midnattsol's Nordlys (really wanted to like the one with Liv, but... alas). Unleash the Archers' Apex. Magica's Hereafter (the earlier ones have good songs but unbearable production).
Obvious why only these: Elis with Sandra Schleret. The 3rd and the Mortal's Tears Laid in Earth. Fairyland with Elisa C. Martín.
And a band who may well join the "love several albums, can't get into the rest" list: Heavenwood. Swallow is one of those albums I heard originally when I was around thirteen, and it has stayed with me for over twenty years already. Their later-day work fails to move me. But I am yet to hear Diva! Who knows, it might be as much up my alley as Swallow... or not. I'm a bit scared to check it out :)

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:30 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Terri23 wrote:

I'm really surprised to see so many mentions of this album. Do all of you guys really dislike The Gathering?

I actually did not mind Dark Roots of Earth, but it was still a significant drop from The Legacy. The Gathering is just passable, like just about all of Exodus' discography after Bonded by Blood.

Riffs wrote:

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:38 pm 

Wrldeatr wrote:
Deicide - Legion

Suffocation does not belong in this thread. Napalm Death, maybe. But still, Utopia is very much worthy in my ears.

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:42 am 

Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus. Great use of Bolt Thrower style death metal with gloomy Finnish melody. Unfortunately, I never really could get into the melodic follow-up and never really cared for their direction after that.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next