Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:38 am 

Wrldeatr wrote:
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Deicide - Legion
Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption

I guess it was the producer who made those albums so amazing because none of those bands were able to come with anything remotely decent afterward.

Pierced from Within, Despise the Sun, Souls to Deny, self titled… not worthwhile. What in the fucking world….of all the shit takes I’ve ever heard… this takes the cake.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:06 am 

Wrldeatr wrote:
Deicide - Legion

I guess it was the producer who made those albums so amazing because none of those bands were able to come with anything remotely decent afterward.

Napalm Death could go on my list as well, but with a different album. I love Scum, it's such a heavy and frantic album. Anything they did after wasn't grindy enough for me.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:20 am 

tahu157 wrote:
Bolt Thrower based on Those Once Loyal. Granted I haven't listened to a whole of other Bolt Thower albums, but what I have listened to doesn't hit quite the same for some reason.

if you wanna give them another chance, i suggest picking ...for victory - it's the closest relative to those once loyal imo

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:31 am 

Marduk - Panzer Division...

Yes, it's got its problems, but it's the most Marduk-y of their bigger albums, and isn't full-on awkward OSTFRONTRULES thematically (it's even a British tank on the cover). Good cut-off point in the music of theirs that I like - their modern stuff always seems a bit too well-polished comparitively.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:31 pm 

I agree with Immolation, I only like the debut. Just can't get into any of the others, and I have tried. Just like Vital Remains, I love 'Let us pray' but that's it.
And, of course, Terrorizer.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:47 pm 

Aborted's Goremageddon is an absolutely phenomenal album that completely outpaces anything else they've ever put out. Their other albums are solid, especially Engineering the Dead, but for the most part, Goremageddon is really all I listen to from them, and that album alone has earned them a pretty hallowed place in my heart.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:29 pm 

Annihilator comes to mind for me - I dig the first 2 but fell severely out of love with the rest. Still got respect for Jeff though, even if most of his writing is cheesy as hell.

Keep Of Kalessin for Through Times Of War. Agnen is good too, but TTOW is a diabolical beast. LOVE that album.

Nightwish and Oceanborn. Wishmaster is okay too but my bandmate showed me Oceanborn and it was actually good enough for me to buy a fucking Nightwish album.

+1 to Goremageddon too. A few of the other older Aborted albums are good too, but Goremageddon is absolutely savage. Wicked solos and absolutely deadly everywhere else.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:39 pm 

I'll add Gorguts re. loving the debut but nothing else. I get and respect what they're doing, it's just not for me.
Same goes for Pestilence, although in their case I dig the first two.

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:19 pm 

Death Fortress - Deathless March of the Unyielding
Cruciamentum - Convocation of Crawling Chaos
Angelcorpse - Exterminate
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Kriegsmaschine - Enemy of Man

All releases that I highly enjoy, but then either didn't like or never bothered with other material from the bands.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:05 am 

wone21r wrote:

This is such a weird take, Reign of the Unending is so much better in every possible way.

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:07 am 

Iced Earth because of Burnt Offerings

Wintersun for the self titled.

Both happen to have total dumbfucks as frontmen incidentally. Odd

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:58 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
wone21r wrote:

This is such a weird take, Reign of the Unending is so much better in every possible way.

Deathless March was the first I heard from them and it instantly got my attention, whereas Among... and Triump... didn't seem to work as well for me.

Reign of the Unending wasn't out when I was going through this, so I haven't actually listened to it.
Will make an effort to give it a look this week.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:40 am 

wone21r wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
wone21r wrote:

Deathless March was the first I heard from them and it instantly got my attention, whereas Among... and Triump... didn't seem to work as well for me.

Reign of the Unending wasn't out when I was going through this, so I haven't actually listened to it.
Will make an effort to give it a look this week.

That makes sense. Deathless March of the Unyielding is definitely better than Among the Ranks of the Unconquerable and Triumph of the Undying. You should enjoy the last one. Wrath of God is just incredible. Best song ever.

As far as I know they disbanded.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:24 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
Aborted's Goremageddon is an absolutely phenomenal album that completely outpaces anything else they've ever put out. Their other albums are solid, especially Engineering the Dead, but for the most part, Goremageddon is really all I listen to from them, and that album alone has earned them a pretty hallowed place in my heart.

100% agreed.

Another band that comes to mind is Mercenary, with 11 Dreams. While the other albums I've listened to are not very different from 11 Dreams, it's only this one where everything just clicks in place perfectly.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:20 am 

mirons wrote:
Another band that comes to mind is Mercenary, with 11 Dreams. While the other albums I've listened to are not very different from 11 Dreams, it's only this one where everything just clicks in place perfectly.

I agree that's their pinnacle. Give The Hours That Remain and Everblack another shot though, the former is a bit more melodic and proggy, and the latter is a bit rougher and less polished, depending on your tastes.

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:50 pm 

Licht Erlischt - And Below, The Retrograde Disciples
Austere - To Lay Like Old Ashes

Two others that come to mind, though both bands have few other releases to choose from.
Both albums I really like, but again for whatever reason haven't found myself attached to their other works.

Gravetemplar wrote:
That makes sense. Deathless March of the Unyielding is definitely better than Among the Ranks of the Unconquerable and Triumph of the Undying. You should enjoy the last one. Wrath of God is just incredible. Best song ever.

Gave it a listen and yeah, definitely a good album. It doesn't instantly make me discard Deathless March... but I did enjoy it.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:22 pm 

This is kind of a weird one and I hate to come off as controversial but... Therion's first album, 1991's "Of Darkness" is probably my favorite of theirs. Now, I'm not saying it's their best one, that isn't really fair- merely it's the one I personally like the best.

The band has drastically changed styles over the years. You would never know it by listening to anything they did over the last 20 years, but their first album was full on death metal- and in my opinion it kicked ass. It had a sort of mid-tempo death/doom vibe to it, although with a few super fast blasting passages, and stylistically reminded me a lot of Obituary- only, quite honestly, I thought "Of Darkness" had even better riffs (on average) than "Cause of Death" or "Slowly We Rot." It was just crushingly dark, heavy and morbid but some of those riffs were among the catchiest death metal riffs I'd ever heard. I was super into that style at the time, so I have fond memories of this album, but sadly, I never really got that much into what they did afterwards, even though I certainly acknowledge it is really good.

mocata9
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:08 pm 

The only one that comes to mind for me is Sigh. I dig Scorn Defeat, but I never have been able to really get into the other albums. I do have three or so others, but the only one I really ever listen to, much less enjoy, is Scorn Defeat. Sigh just added elements I don't really like after that album. Of course, some of that stuff was already there a bit, but became more prominent later.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:14 am 

I don't listen to much nu/alternative metal, but Disturbed's Indestructible album is an absolute banger.

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:59 am 

Immortal - At the Heart of Winter (1999)
Rejoin my soul with thine

Mang_Kanor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:31 pm 

Pestillence's Consuming Impulse is the only Pestillence album I listen to. Also helps that it had such an impact on me as a kid.

megadeth93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:49 pm 

Immolation - Shadows in the Light
Sacred Warrior - Rebellion
Vengeance Rising - Human Sacrifice
Onslaught - In Search of Sanity
Mortification - Scrolls of the Megilloth

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:37 pm 

The first Demons & Wizards album is a stone-cold-classic to me. The next two, I can barely make a compilation of things I like from both of them.

What about being really into just ONE SONG from a band? "Walk With Me In Hell" by Lamb of God is one of my favourite metal songs, maybe ever. I've seen Lamb of God live three of four times (because they always seem to be opening for bands I am going to see), and still have barely heard anything else I even remotely like. Not sure what it is about that one particular song, but I love it. Glad they play it live every night, basically.

Benedict
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:29 pm 

jimbies wrote:

"Walk With Me In Hell" by Lamb of God is one of my favourite metal songs, maybe ever. I've seen Lamb of God live three of four times (because they always seem to be opening for bands I am going to see), and still have barely heard anything else I even remotely like. Not sure what it is about that one particular song, but I love it. Glad they play it live every night, basically.

That song actually has a RIFF. A God's honest riff that is distinguishable from their usual rhythm salad.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:52 am 

megadeth93 wrote:

i guess you haven't tried the hope and horror ep from the same year? can't imagine someone liking one but not the other - give it a spin, even if you don't like any of the other full lengths

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:59 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
Wrldeatr wrote:
Deicide - Legion

Pierced from Within, Despise the Sun, Souls to Deny, self titled… not worthwhile. What in the fucking world….of all the shit takes I’ve ever heard… this takes the cake.

Dude. I was just playing Despise the Sun the other day. Pretty much all the Suffocation records are good, but that EP is on another level.

Also, in regards to the thread topic, I like Merciless for The Awakening, Iron Angel for Hellish Crossfire, Opprobrium/Incubus for Serpent Temptation and Morbid Saint for the absolute killer which is Spectrum of Death.

overkill1978
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:56 am 

Terri23 wrote:
Testament. The Legacy is a brilliant record. The rest of their output is mediocre thrash, and the less discussed about their 90s output, the better.

Bro. The Gathering. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think The Gathering shits all over every single other LP they put out even The Legacy.... (and I like most of their discography, it's just that The Gathering is one of the best thrash albums of all time imo)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:12 am 

Tad Morose for Modus Vivendi. It's simply a brilliant album that nothing else from them comes close to. Matters of the Dark is a good one as well, but 95% of the time it's going to be Modus Vivendi for me.

PrincessScarlet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:19 am 

While not on the Archives, for me it's Agnostic Front - Cause for Alarm.
That album is peak crossover thrash with very few on the same level. Such a shame that AF themselves couldn't recapture the same magic with their follow-up, and just eventually turned into just another toughguycore band.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:24 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Tad Morose for Modus Vivendi. It's simply a brilliant album that nothing else from them comes close to. Matters of the Dark is a good one as well, but 95% of the time it's going to be Modus Vivendi for me.

The three albums between Undead and that one are all very good for me. Undead is a little less polished but I kinda think that's what makes it cool - a very 80s vibe.

Vikingligrveldi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:50 am 

I would say Jag Panzer. I love Ample Destruction, but the rest of their discography is meh for me. I don't hate their other stuff, I just feel like the ridiculous over-the-top street tough imagery combined with the fantastic vocals and instruments are better than all the rest of their stuff.

megadeth93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:21 am 

joppek wrote:
megadeth93 wrote:

i guess you haven't tried the hope and horror ep from the same year? can't imagine someone liking one but not the other - give it a spin, even if you don't like any of the other full lengths

Thanks, mate, for the recommendation. I haven't heard that one yet but will give it a try. It's hard to explain why I like Shadows in the Light so much and not the others. Lots of the others seem too technical, claustrophobic and noisy. Mostly I like traditional metal and melodic thrash so that might explain where I'm coming from.

megadeth93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:24 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
Wrldeatr wrote:
Deicide - Legion

Serpents of the Light and Stench of Redemption are way beyond decent in my view. I even enjoy Till Death Do Us Part, I appreciate the different lyrical theme. Apart from that album, I would say their best lyrics are on Serpents - more sociological and less random insults.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:54 pm 

Annihilator- Alice in hell
Death Angel- The ultra-violence
Entombed- Left hand path- Clandestine
Cryptopsy- Blasphemy made flesh- None so vile
Terrorizer- World Downfall
Destruction- Only the 80 era.
Forbidden- Forbidden evil and twisted into form

Vikingligrveldi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:23 pm 

megadeth93 wrote:

Serpents of the Light and Stench of Redemption are way beyond decent in my view. I even enjoy Till Death Do Us Part, I appreciate the different lyrical theme. Apart from that album, I would say their best lyrics are on Serpents - more sociological and less random insults.

I can see why people don't like Serpents because it is kind of sing-songy with the melodies, whereas the earlier stuff was more straightforward and brutal. I still love that album though, the song Father Baker is especially good.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:17 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Ahab lost the heaviness which made them so fun after the debut.

The Call of the Wretched Sea is an unbelievable album, borderline perfect. And then after that they really just moved away from just about everything I liked about it, without even drastically changing their style (only gradually). The debut might be in my top ten of all time, but I don't really even like anything after that.

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:11 pm 

Dark Millennium with Ashore The Celestial Burden
The vocals, the song structure, the instrumental arrangements... everything clicks!

They've recorded 3 other albums, but no one is worth the amazing debut. More than that, those other albums sound like 2-3 steps behind.

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:11 pm 

Green Carnation. Light of Day, Day o Darkness is so good that it makes the general mediocrity of everything else they do truly baffling. Journey to the End of the Night is OK I guess, but I barely listen to anything else.

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:29 pm 

Morbid Angel- Altars of Madness. Everything else seems to fall massively short for me in comparison. "Blessed are the Sick" comes across as unlistenable in comparison while "Covenant" is just totally forgetable outside of 'God of Emptiness'.

Everything else I have heard from them otherwise is just forgettable for me and not worth hearing again. I also think 'Altars' is probably the best death metal album of all time or at least top 3, so this could be an issue of them being a victim of their own ingenuity as time moves forward.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:21 pm 

Headless420 wrote:
Morbid Angel- Altars of Madness. Everything else seems to fall massively short for me in comparison. "Blessed are the Sick" comes across as unlistenable in comparison while "Covenant" is just totally forgetable outside of 'God of Emptiness'.

Yeah, I can get behind this. They have decent stuff but everything pales in comparison.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next