Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BlueTransparency
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:39 pm 

I was reading about Manic Street Preachers and how their singer just up and vanished one day and I wondered if that had happened with any metal musicians? I know that there's a lot more mystery in Metal due to the comparatively underground status of most of these bands, but have you heard of any musicians who just dropped off the face of the earth who are on the archives?

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:45 pm 

Vadim from Sun Devoured Earth. He was my first blackgaze band, found him when I was like 11 or 12 in 2010-2011. Inspired me with the whole bedroom black gaze thing and gave me so much hope that I could just make that style of music in my bedroom on my shitty laptop.

Went awol since like 2014. Used to be big on last.fm and had a sizable fanbase there. I hope he's still alive.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:55 pm 

Mohammed from Necrophagist. In 2009 they were talking about doing a new album but nothing materialized and the band basically disappeared after then. I even saw them play a new song that was going to be on the upcoming album when I saw them that year but the album never came out. I heard he's working for BMW now.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:59 am 

Judas Priest drummer Alan Moore, who played on Sad Wings of Destiny, has fallen off the face of the earth. Even Judas Priest members do not know where he is.

Zeeb Parks of Witchfinder General is another person who was disappeared entirely. I've heard that his name is not even his real name as well.

And there is the Los Legion Noires, some have speculated that a few of them committed suicide, but for the most part, have vanished.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:49 am 

Mike Davis - Nocturnus

Bob Rusay - Cannibal Corpse

Richard Brunelle - Morbid Angel

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:08 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
Richard Brunelle - Morbid Angel

He died in 2019. Those first 2 albums with him are my favourites and while I really dig the next 2 albums, his input was sorely missed.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:17 am 

That sucks man, do you know how?

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:21 am 

Zephyrous (Ivar Enger) from Darkthrone. After playing guitar on Under a Funerlal Moon he has not appeared on any musical project I can find. His name is also rather generic, making it difficult to be an e-stalker and track him down.

Fenriz and N.C. give different accounts in many interview, from him being "too grim and kvlt" to be with civilization, to him moving too far away, to him being an alcoholic etc etc. They even hinted at him returning in the 00s, so it seems he's alive at the very least.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:51 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
That sucks man, do you know how?

No cause of death but read this article and let's just say lifestyle choices might have had something to do with it unfortunately.
https://loudwire.com/morbid-angel-richa ... e-dead-55/

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:57 am 

Aakon Keetreh. Yes, he’s more dark ambient than metal, but he was an influential member in the Black Legions and dedicated one of his albums to Mutiilation. No one even knows where he is since he went MIA in the late 90s.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:27 pm 

The guy who did the vocals on Night of the Stormrider. All the things I've read say he just became a truckie. No one from the IE camp has ever said what he's done since.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:11 pm 

Gunslinger21 wrote:

I heard that he was running a golf course somewhere. That was around the late 2000s, though, and I have no idea if he still does or not.

Tired
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:15 pm 

Yeah Rusay was a golf instructor at one point, it was reported in several places. He might have changed jobs, of course, and if he doesn't want people to spam stuff about CC to his workplace he'd probably stay off the net as much as possible. Everything points at him not having anything to do with music anymore, he's probably some random regular guy you wouldn't even notice on the street.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:16 pm 

MercyfulKing wrote:
Zeeb Parks of Witchfinder General is another person who was disappeared entirely. I've heard that his name is not even his real name as well.

Yeah, Zeeb Parks is almost certainly a fake name. I heard WFG tried to bring him back when they reunited for that dogshit third album but he turned them down. He's probably doing fine, just an older British guy who's not all that interested in playing rockstar anymore.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:23 pm 

I can't think of any metal musicians who disappeared in the legal sense (i.e went missing) other than Philip Taylor Kramer of Iron Butterfly, who sadly went missing for a few years in the 90's, then turned up dead in the back of his van. Not sure if he's on the archives (Iron Butterfly aren't) but that's as close to an actual disappearance as I can think of.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:29 pm 

MRmehman wrote:
I can't think of any metal musicians who disappeared in the legal sense (i.e went missing) other than Philip Taylor Kramer of Iron Butterfly, who sadly went missing for a few years in the 90's, then turned up dead in the back of his van. Not sure if he's on the archives (Iron Butterfly aren't) but that's as close to an actual disappearance as I can think of.

Slightly related but Jaz Coleman (the singer from Killing Joke) was missing for a couple of years too, turned out he was doing spiritual research in the Sahara or something like that. It was never fully clear how much of it was exaggerated and how much was true.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:45 pm 

Tired wrote:
Yeah Rusay was a golf instructor at one point, it was reported in several places. He might have changed jobs, of course, and if he doesn't want people to spam stuff about CC to his workplace he'd probably stay off the net as much as possible. Everything points at him not having anything to do with music anymore, he's probably some random regular guy you wouldn't even notice on the street.

Also because he deliberatedly quit music, after being fired from CC. As the notes on his Metallum page refer:

"According to the Centuries of Torment DVD documentary, Rusay was kicked out of Cannibal Corpse because his skill level as a guitarist was not up to par with the rest of the band. This caused him to become so jaded that he gave up playing guitar entirely and no longer had any interest in music at all. He has not been in contact with anyone in the band since. The only thing known of his post-Cannibal Corpse life is that, at some point after having left the music scene, Rusay pursued a career as a golf instructor."

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:55 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Vadim from Sun Devoured Earth. He was my first blackgaze band, found him when I was like 11 or 12 in 2010-2011. Inspired me with the whole bedroom black gaze thing and gave me so much hope that I could just make that style of music in my bedroom on my shitty laptop.

Went awol since like 2014. Used to be big on last.fm and had a sizable fanbase there. I hope he's still alive.

Yeah, I wonder what happened to him as well. I got big into SDE around 2013 and was disappointed when he abruptly stopped releasing material, especially since he had been so prolific before then. The last thing I saw from him was a Facebook post in 2015 talking about how he did guest vocals for the new Vapour Night album. After that, total silence. Even if he lost interest in music, you’d think he would have at least said something about the status of SDE, especially considering how devoted he seemed for the four years the project was active. It does make you wonder where he is today.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:45 pm 

whoever the hell was behind that project called Vaivatar in 2017. I wish they'd come back.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:47 am 

raumr wrote:
Zephyrous (Ivar Enger) from Darkthrone. After playing guitar on Under a Funerlal Moon he has not appeared on any musical project I can find. His name is also rather generic, making it difficult to be an e-stalker and track him down.

Fenriz and N.C. give different accounts in many interview, from him being "too grim and kvlt" to be with civilization, to him moving too far away, to him being an alcoholic etc etc. They even hinted at him returning in the 00s, so it seems he's alive at the very least.

He's still alive and he's still in contact with the boys from Darkthrone.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:27 am 

Alex Hernandez, Immolation's best drummer, and with stone cold classics Failures for Gods, Close to the World Below and Unholy Cult under his belt, hasn't been in a metal band in 15 years (apart from a single album for some random band as a session musician).

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:37 am 

MRmehman wrote:
MercyfulKing wrote:

Yeah, Zeeb Parks is almost certainly a fake name. I heard WFG tried to bring him back when they reunited for that dogshit third album but he turned them down. He's probably doing fine, just an older British guy who's not all that interested in playing rockstar anymore.

Yep, I remember Phil Cope saying something to the effect that the individual formerly known as Zeeb Parkes wasn't interested and wasn't the same person that they knew in the old days. Sounds like he just moved on to a normal life and wasn't interested in looking back. That just adds to the mystique of his persona though IMO.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:11 am 

Required Fields wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:

I heard that he was running a golf course somewhere. That was around the late 2000s, though, and I have no idea if he still does or not.

Yea, he became a golf instructor. He even commented on his earlier exploits in some short bio he had up as an ad for his golf coach work.

What always struck me as ironic (or fitting perhaps) is that, compared to the other Cannibal Corpse guys who chose the life of rock 'n roll, he looked significantly aged. Well, other than Chris Barnes, who looks like a zombie.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:17 am 

andersbang wrote:
Alex Hernandez, Immolation's best drummer, and with stone cold classics Failures for Gods, Close to the World Below and Unholy Cult under his belt, hasn't been in a metal band in 15 years (apart from a single album for some random band as a session musician).

Holy shit. I also considered him Immolation's best drummer, but it never occurred to me to look up what he had pursued (here in) after. Guess I didn't miss much.

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:12 pm 

Scott Lewis: he was the drummer on the first Brutal Truth album as well as Ethos Musick by Exit 13, then just up and quit playing drums in any band. Wonder what happened. Dude was intense.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:15 pm 

BlueTransparency wrote:
I was reading about Manic Street Preachers and how their singer just up and vanished one day and I wondered if that had happened with any metal musicians? I know that there's a lot more mystery in Metal due to the comparatively underground status of most of these bands, but have you heard of any musicians who just dropped off the face of the earth who are on the archives?

That was actually Richey James, their co-lyricist/rhythm guitarist (although by all accounts he wasn't a good guitarist and played on exactly 2 songs on their albums). The man had a myriad of demons from self-harm to severe depression to anorexia to alcoholism and disappeared near a known suicide spot, so although he's never been found I'm sure you can sadly deduce what probably happened.

The band themselves went from glam metal/Guns n Roses style hard rock to one of the bleakest (and best!) albums of all time in The Holy Bible, before becoming hugely successful here in the UK after Richey disappeared.

If anyone's interested in what they sound like:
Spoiler: show

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:58 pm 

Quote:
Yea, he became a golf instructor. He even commented on his earlier exploits in some short bio he had up as an ad for his golf coach work.

It was delightfully vague, if I recall. Something about him being in a "rock band".

Quote:
What always struck me as ironic (or fitting perhaps) is that, compared to the other Cannibal Corpse guys who chose the life of rock 'n roll, he looked significantly aged. Well, other than Chris Barnes, who looks like a zombie.

[/quote]
Alex, Paul, and Rob barely changed, George Fisher turned into a human shark, and Pat O'Brien turned into inmate #425213.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:33 pm 

Ildjarn said he was gonna quit and goddamn meant it.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:01 pm 

Alf Svensson from At the Gates hasn't done anything musically, since after 1999, as far as I know...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:40 am 

MawBTS wrote:
Quote:

It was delightfully vague, if I recall. Something about him being in a "rock band".

Yeah, and a little disparaging, haha. Brushed it off as the folly of youth, or something like that.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:13 am 

schizoid wrote:
andersbang wrote:

Holy shit. I also considered him Immolation's best drummer, but it never occurred to me to look up what he had pursued (here in) after. Guess I didn't miss much.

I love his drumwork on those three albums, so I've checked his MA page periodically to see if he ended up using his talents elsewhere... Which he sadly didn't, it seems.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:35 am 

I thought Sleazy P. Martini, had disappeared. Researched his whereabouts for this thread and apparently he hasn't disappeared. He has a Youtube channel where he regularly posts videos of himself chatting with people in chat. He also shows 3D movies on Twitch. Guy who plays Sleazy is still funny and offensive as ever.

UndeadHalfOrc
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:02 am 

Rob McKillop from Exodus.

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:39 pm 

I wonder what happened to Mike Torrao. Is there bad blood between him and Jeff Becerra. He was doing Possessed with a different lineup in 91 and 92 and it seemed to have fell apart.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:48 pm 

Turner wrote:
The guy who did the vocals on Night of the Stormrider. All the things I've read say he just became a truckie. No one from the IE camp has ever said what he's done since.

Greely has been a lot more active in the last couple years, currently singing for a band called Bloody Times and has a Biblically themed project called Seventh Servant. I'm pretty sure he's even dispelled the rumor that he was fired for antisemitism but I can't find the link.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:08 pm 

Definitely not metal but disturbing: Scott Smith of the 80s rock band Loverboy. He went out sailing on his 36-foot boat in 2000 and never came back. Coast guard did a search but never found even remains of the boat. He was declared lost at sea and dead.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:36 pm 

Danish drummer Reno Kiilerich was at some point recognized as the fastest drummer in the world. That got him some very temporary positions in Hate Eternal, Vile, Old Man's Child, Panzerchrist, Dimmu Borgir over a short timespan. He then left metal to start playing banjo.

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:28 am 

Helvede wrote:
Danish drummer Reno Kiilerich was at some point recognized as the fastest drummer in the world. That got him some very temporary positions in Hate Eternal, Vile, Old Man's Child, Panzerchrist, Dimmu Borgir over a short timespan. He then left metal to start playing banjo.

His drumming in "Room Service" is great, not to mention the kit sounds amazing, specially the kick drum.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:49 pm 

Another musician i want to mention is Torbjørn Pedersen aka Aismal, former guitarist of Ulver. He played Bergtatt and Nattens madrigal. He was only on those two albums, and has seemingly vanished afterwards.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:13 pm 

asphaalanx wrote:
MRmehman wrote:
MercyfulKing wrote:

Yep, I remember Phil Cope saying something to the effect that the individual formerly known as Zeeb Parkes wasn't interested and wasn't the same person that they knew in the old days. Sounds like he just moved on to a normal life and wasn't interested in looking back. That just adds to the mystique of his persona though IMO.

As I recall, Phil claimed that Zeeb Parkes was his "creation", which, I assume referred to the name. I believe they had a falling out.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next