Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:34 pm 

Glad you got to try it for free! I knew I should have waited. Just had some extra funds and felt like rolling the dice. Shoulda bought a $15 game on Steam instead, as usual.

Part of me hopes they "fix it" but that seems so unlikely, don't see any reason to hold my breath. If combat is supposed to be the big draw...man, it's so bad. So hollow. I like the character creation and running on four legs.

The voice over guy explaining what NPCs are saying instead of just giving you their text to read is such a bizarre choice. Like a video game designed by AI or something. It's inhuman.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:52 am 

For what it's worth I read that they plan a patch that will address some things, including the weightless combat.

A shame, because it looks like a colorful world with nice characters.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:18 am 

God of War has been rescheduled for 2022 and is confirmed to be out for PS4 as well as PS5.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:42 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
God of War has been rescheduled for 2022 and is confirmed to be out for PS4 as well as PS5.

That's great! I'm in no hurry, with only a PS4 and my expectations are sky high!

I have a bit of fear about the bosses: i don't really know how the will manage to make the battle with the gods as insane as the Sigrun one. I don't want to live in a world with an easy Thor fight :lol: ...also i hope for less mini boss reskins!

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:54 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

That's great! I'm in no hurry, with only a PS4 and my expectations are sky high!

I have a bit of fear about the bosses: i don't really know how the will manage to make the battle with the gods as insane as the Sigrun one. I don't want to live in a world with an easy Thor fight :lol: ...also i hope for less mini boss reskins!

Yeah, that Sigrun combat was insane. Really enjoyed it although it could be a bit frustrating. Some of the Valkyries had given me trouble when I started the game but at the end I was powerful and felt confident because I killed the last one in my first attempt. I was obviously wrong. She attacked me with the flying attack, grabbed me, slammed me into the ground and insta-killed me. I hadn't felt like that sine the first time I fought Gwyn, Lord of Cinder and he ran at me, jumped half the room and slammed me into the ground with just one hit.

My only complain about God of War was that it relied too much on the special attacks to do heavy damage by the end of the game. Like yeah, I can hit this Valkyrie 10 times and risk getting hit myself or just wait for my special attack to recharge and do the same damage safely from a distance.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:13 am 

I related very much to that Gwyn scene! if i remember well in my case it was a Jump attack + grab and a loud WAT??? from my side :lol:

The special attack issue gets a bit "fixed" on Ng+ with the zeus armor: at max difficulty those attacks only scratch enemies, and you have to come up with clever ways to land the "light attack - pause - flurry of attacks" combos that are the real deal! Also a that armor makes a dedicated axe throwing build viable and it's incredibly fun too :)

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:52 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Morn Of Solace wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Yeah, that Sigrun combat was insane. Really enjoyed it although it could be a bit frustrating. Some of the Valkyries had given me trouble when I started the game but at the end I was powerful and felt confident because I killed the last one in my first attempt. I was obviously wrong. She attacked me with the flying attack, grabbed me, slammed me into the ground and insta-killed me. I hadn't felt like that sine the first time I fought Gwyn, Lord of Cinder and he ran at me, jumped half the room and slammed me into the ground with just one hit.

My only complain about God of War was that it relied too much on the special attacks to do heavy damage by the end of the game. Like yeah, I can hit this Valkyrie 10 times and risk getting hit myself or just wait for my special attack to recharge and do the same damage safely from a distance.

I think this is the same problem I had with the game. Maybe, it's because I had the difficulty level too high, but every enemy was a bullet sponge for everything attack I had it felt like. It just became tedious.

I sure as hell wasn't the GOD of War.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:31 am 

Does anyone know if there is a game similar to Void and Meddler for the Xbox?

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:03 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I’ll definitely check out Scarlet Nexus. Sounds cool.

I see they’re releasing it for PS4 still which is good. These assholes better plan on releasing games for PS4 for the foreseeable future since it’s still virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get a PS5.

I'm not bragging, but after about eight attempts at PS5 drops using an app called HotStock and following a dude named Matt Swider on Twitter I finally got a PS5 from Best Buy today.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:07 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
Morn Of Solace wrote:

I think this is the same problem I had with the game. Maybe, it's because I had the difficulty level too high, but every enemy was a bullet sponge for everything attack I had it felt like. It just became tedious.

I sure as hell wasn't the GOD of War.

I feel like this is a problem with too many games in general. They're too afraid to let your regular attacks do any actual damage, so they gate all your damage behind special attacks and "skill-shots."

Because they're all afraid of being labeled button-mashers like Kingdom Hearts. The same people behind this movement wouldn't make it an hour into a Critical Mode Kingdom Hearts playthrough. Because, it turns out, button mashing in Kingdom Hearts just gets you killed in hilarious fashion.

(Hell, even Kingdom Hearts started doing that shit starting with #2, and it's the big reason why no game in the series will ever eclipse the original. Only the final hit of the combo deals any real damage? And Donald and Goofy do next to nothing, as well? Get the fuck out, Square-Enix.)

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:32 pm 

Has anyone gotten the remastered Mass Effect trilogy? I'm making my way through Mass Effect 2 now, and I have to say, aside from the nostalgia factor, I'm enjoying the updated aspects. They managed to make Mass Effect 1 less of a slog, though I still think it's the weak link in the trilogy.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:39 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
Has anyone gotten the remastered Mass Effect trilogy? I'm making my way through Mass Effect 2 now, and I have to say, aside from the nostalgia factor, I'm enjoying the updated aspects. They managed to make Mass Effect 1 less of a slog, though I still think it's the weak link in the trilogy.

I wanted to get this one but 60 bucks for 3 games I already own felt like too much. I also remember ME1 to be painfully boring even though I love ME2 and ME3 (minus the ending, of course).

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:02 pm 

I loved Mass Effect 1 until I got to a part while exploring where I was ambushed by enemies too strong for me. Turns out, the game autosaves right before the ambush and for some reason I didn't have any other saves. So I was stuck at this encounter - no way out, no time to change gear or anything, the autosave is right before the fight. After 15 attempts, I realized I wasn't losing because of a lack of skill, but because my numbers weren't high enough, I was in a dead end, so that soured my experience. I don't recall too much the save system, maybe it's my fault for not save-scumming. Anyway, I may give it a try again but I'm not sure I want to spend that much for it.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:13 pm 

For me, having to go out in the car is what killed the mood. I hated those parts.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:30 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
For me, having to go out in the car is what killed the mood. I hated those parts.

I didn't hate them particularly but I tend to dislike vehicle parts in any game. So I disliked them the same as any vehicle part in most videogames.

Except for the absolute worst: the World of Warcraft vehicle quests, man those were the worst.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:54 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
Except for the absolute worst: the World of Warcraft vehicle quests, man those were the worst.

Those tend to be very hit-or-miss. Some of them work well enough and are fine, and some are just the fucking worst.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:00 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:

Yeah, those parts were aggravating as hell. They definitely fixed a lot of the issues that made them so bad and the improved graphics makes the environments around them more lively and interesting, but they're still not a ton of fun.

InappropriateReponse
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:25 pm 

I decided to try out 'Subnautica' for a something a little different. The amount of 'that's pretty cool-looki-OHSHITWHATTHEFUCKISTHAT?' moments make this a winner for me. So much so that I went out and purchased the second one without hesitation.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:05 pm 

It only took me *checks release date* 6 months but I'm finally completely smitten with Cyber Shadow. It felt too difficult originally, which is not normally a turn-off for me when it comes to 2D platformers. But I'm about 3 hours in now and I've unlocked a few abilities that really change the flow (wall jump, this weird floaty boomerang blade you can smack around). Also just watching people play and realizing you're supposed to be moving with as much forward momentum as possible helped me.

I'm always behind though. Actually going to play Dying Light for the first time tonight. Never realized how hype that title looks. I think I was avoiding everything zombie when it originally dropped.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:23 pm 

InappropriateReponse wrote:
I decided to try out 'Subnautica' for a something a little different. The amount of 'that's pretty cool-looki-OHSHITWHATTHEFUCKISTHAT?' moments make this a winner for me. So much so that I went out and purchased the second one without hesitation.

I wasn't into survival games beforehand, so I was hesitant going in the first time I downloaded Subnautica. Thankfully, the survival mechanics are extremely streamlined that I could just get suckered in regardless. The worst part about the game is that the first playthrough will always be the best because it's not as special once you know where everything's at.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:27 pm 

I'm playing Divinity: Original Sin 1 enhanced again, and I'm pretty sure this is my favorite combat system in a turn-based RPG to date. It's both a blast to play and feels truly unique. My only advice is that you keep at it through Cyseal. The opening hours are unfortunately quite dull but thankfully, nothing else in the game is.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:43 pm 

Elden Ring trailer at Summer Games Fest (which starts 2PM EST tomorrow)

Get ready

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:44 pm 

I just reinstalled Stronghold Crusader after I don't even know how many years (probably close to a decade) and this game hasn't aged one bit. I'm having as much of a blast as I did as a primary schooler obsessed with RTS games.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:44 am 

Morrigan wrote:

Get ready

Oh shit am I pumped.

I hope to shit this isn't gonna be some two year out announcement.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:26 am 

Morrigan wrote:

Get ready

HAAAAAAAAA!!! Too late, I've already gone hollow a long time ago.
Fire walk with me"

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:41 am 

A Short Hike is just as amazing as everyone said. Wow. Put in on just to relax before dinner last night and ended up losing a few hours. The simple joy of jumping off something high and coasting, or whipping around in that batshit-fast boat you can rent. Stupendous.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:35 am 

Morrigan wrote:

Get ready

A part of me is expecting brief video of George R.R. Martin rolling in a plastic ball with the Elden Ring logo. I hope to be wrong!

Edit: aaaand saw it! I think we will have a jump button again! :lol:

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:37 pm 

Holy shit I wasn't ready for that trailer. It looks like an evolution of Dark Souls. From the clips, the fights look to be meaty but also faster, so hints of Sekiro, maybe. THere are also mounts. And of course all sorts of twisted monsters, and it all looks positively gorgeous. Also, a date has been set, and it can't come soon enough.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:51 pm 

SO FUCKING GOOD

AHHHHHHH

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:55 pm 

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:55 pm 

Yeah, my body is ready.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:54 pm 

HELL yes. Now I just hope Breath of the Wild 2 comes out before the end of the year.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:48 pm 

Humanity restored/Hollowing reversed.

Daaamn, I can't wait to get my hand on it. Hopefully I manage to get my hands on a PS5, or save enough money for new pc parts... (doubt it, only thing newer than 2011 is the case haha). I'm pumped.
Fire walk with me"

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:53 pm 

Fuuuuuuuuu

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:59 am 

All those gifs look real good.

It makes me really hope that the story will be easier to follow since it's George R. R. Martin and I want to UNDERSTAND.

I gave up trying to piece together the story in the Dark Souls games since that was a full time job and just playing the game was brutal enough.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:23 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
Holy shit I wasn't ready for that trailer. It looks like an evolution of Dark Souls. From the clips, the fights look to be meaty but also faster, so hints of Sekiro, maybe. THere are also mounts. And of course all sorts of twisted monsters, and it all looks positively gorgeous. Also, a date has been set, and it can't come soon enough.

FUCK.

I need it now.

nvamoni
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:58 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:

Today in for nobody's surprise...

Seriously. We got a teaser with the logo and a 2021 release date. No way it wasn't going to be delayed.

This being said, I'm still skeptical about 2022. Maybe Q4 2022...

_____
Thanks to online casino reviews uk I'm really satisfied with roulette and slots. They strive to offer the latest innovative gaming experience along with good bonuses. Honestly, I'm hard pressed to find a more comfortable and easy place to play.

Last edited by nvamoni on Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:50 am 

This on the other hand looks pretty bad.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:58 am 

I spent way too much time playing Returnal this weekend.

If it makes me asshole of the millennium to talk PS5 on here I'll stop.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:50 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
This on the other hand looks pretty bad.

I can't believe they managed to make an action Final Fantasy game tied to the original look so boring, but they managed to do it.

The character design is "blandest action dudebro". The color palette is "darkness and greyness". The action is "DMC wasn't edgelordy enough".

It's like they took all the flaws of FFXV and turned it up to 11.

I hate it, in case it wasn't clear.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 907, 908, 909, 910, 911, 912, 913 ... 940  Next