Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:46 pm 

So I haven't even really listened to many of their songs, and I'm listening to one off their newest album right now.

Haven't heard enough yet to say whether or not I really like them much but the one track I'm listening to right now seems pretty average kind of progressive type metal, but I was on facebook and came across a Metal Hammer article called "How Gojira became the most important metal band of the Decade".

What say you guys?

Is this band overrated?

Band of the DECADE? Really?

And then there are lots of comments with people raving over them, then some hating on them, some saying "Mastodon is better" etc...(for the record, I never liked Mastodon much or that style of metal or understood why they were so popular...good drummer but that's about it).

There's been this sort of love for "post metal" lately like Mastodon, Isis, Baroness, etc that I just don't get really.

So yeah, what is it with these guys? Why does everyone like them so much? Do you guys think they are this "incredible band of the decade?"

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:58 pm 

Gojira have a distinctive style and some interesting lyrics to be fair. However, I would also call them overrated and don't understand the hype. You shouldn't really trust Metal Hammer though, since its journalists have always been known for trying to jump the bandwagon and being trendy.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:00 am 

I enjoy the song 'The Heaviest Matter of the Universe' - but that came out more than a decade ago...

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:39 am 

I've given an album or two a listen and tbh not my thing. They're not bad in any way, but their music doesn't give me a real adrenaline rush or anything. I think the real problem is this: a lot of those new-ish bands that are touted by news outlets as "the biggest thing since Iron Maiden" or some such are disappointing by that metric (the ones you've listed there are my main examples too), but I think that's the media's fault more than anything. It's not like Gojira is out there saying "oh yeah we'll be as big as Metallica soon" - it's just the metal media scraping for reasons that there should be arena-selling newer metal bands when there aren't (and I guess in the process trying to create it), basically just swimming upstream and hoping. Gojira, Mastodon etc are doing their thing and even if it's not for me, I'm glad they're successful, but no need to hype them up beyond belief imo.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:05 am 

They have a very distinctive sound and image / themes, they worked hard with heavy touring and tight live shows, they have a couple of really good albums in From Mars... and The Way of All flesh and a pair of hit songs on their album Magma and you have pretty much a recipe for a success:
they bridge a lot of tastes, ranging from people that like big grooves to progheads and have enough melody to satiate a good number of newcomers that are starting to get interested in extreme metal, so it's not suprising at all that they are widely beloved by fans and hyped by the press.

if you are genuinely interested in understanding what is the hype about try the two albums i mentioned and see if they work for you. To me they are no band of the decade material, but an interesting and very distinctive one that would be surely influential for future metal bands.

...or you can just complain about those pesky metal zoomers and their love for tapping riffs, chugging and pick scrapes, It's fine too.

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:19 am 

They are OK, but I am not the biggest fan either. I would like to see them live one day if they visit my neck of the words.

I remember listening and liking a couple of their earlier albums.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:04 am 

Actually listening to From Mars to Sirius for the first time right now. It's very dull with the occasional cool idea. Not seeing the hype myself. They feel like one of those "you had to be there" bands.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:57 am 

I have a friend that is a massive raving fangirl for Gojira - we were going to see them live headlining a festival, so figured I'd better listen to them beforehand. Honestly ? I didn't get it either - it's very tight, they're obviously talented, and there's some decent lyricism in there - the sum of the parts is just pretty dull, for me - not a lot happens, and not in a 'fifteen minutes with two notes' funeral doom style not-a-lot-happens - it's just bog standard 'extreme metal' played at half tempo.

I will say that their live show is visually impressive - they don't just go for the generic synchronised flamethrowers; they put in a lot of effort with the lighting / stage design / smoke / lasers / videos, etc.

I can see why they'd be critical darlings, too - the music isn't offensive, a lot of the lyrics are vaguely on-the-nose in terms of politics & all that, they're pretty personable as individuals, they put on a good show - sortof like metal U2 or something.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:52 am 

I would say "The Gift Of Guilt" is one of my favourite metal songs of the last decade, however, the rest of the discography is just "good" to me. The drumming really makes the band for me. I will say, they crush live.

The new album has some great moments on it, but it feels like a step down. I really didn't want to like a song like "amazonia" because it's basically Nu-Sepultura, but I keep finding myself going to back to it and "Hold On".

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:21 am 

Gojira were great up to and including L'enfant Sauvage. The last two have been very disappointing despite some okay tracks here and there.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:24 am 

I can't stand their music really. It's very hard for me to listen to more than 2 songs. Based on their albums, they are highly overrated. However...live they are absolutely bestial. So it's one of those bands you have to experience in concert.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:38 am 

I agree with the above posters: their lyrical content is quite interesting. However, outside of "From Mars to Sirius," they've not wowed me.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:29 pm 

Wrldeatr wrote:
I can't stand their music really. It's very hard for me to listen to more than 2 songs. Based on their albums, they are highly overrated. However...live they are absolutely bestial. So it's one of those bands you have to experience in concert.

Yeah I can't stand their recordings but they are one of the most incredible live bands I've ever seen. Saw them play an outdoor stage with 30ft flames synced up to the music and it was insane. I was there for Devin Townsend and Opeth and they blew them out of the water.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:48 pm 

Methuen wrote:
sortof like metal U2 or something.

Damn.... that's actually a really good summation of how I feel about them as well..

Invocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:11 pm 

Methuen wrote:
I have a friend that is a massive raving fangirl for Gojira - we were going to see them live headlining a festival, so figured I'd better listen to them beforehand. Honestly ? I didn't get it either - it's very tight, they're obviously talented, and there's some decent lyricism in there - the sum of the parts is just pretty dull, for me - not a lot happens, and not in a 'fifteen minutes with two notes' funeral doom style not-a-lot-happens - it's just bog standard 'extreme metal' played at half tempo.

I can see why they'd be critical darlings, too - the music isn't offensive, a lot of the lyrics are vaguely on-the-nose in terms of politics & all that, they're pretty personable as individuals, they put on a good show - sortof like metal U2 or something.

Pretty much this. They're bland and inoffensive enough that people who would never normally be extreme metal fans are able to get into them. The rhythms, note choices, chord progressions, lyrics, imagery etc all dial down the aggression and darkness we're used to from extreme metal but they're still heavy enough to qualify as a proper extreme metal band so rock fans can enjoy it as being heavier than the rest of their record collection.

Methuen wrote:
I will say that their live show is visually impressive - they don't just go for the generic synchronised flamethrowers; they put in a lot of effort with the lighting / stage design / smoke / lasers / videos, etc.

Wrldeatr wrote:

Also this, I wasn't a fan but watched them at a festival out of curiosity and was shocked by how great they were live. Went to seem them on their own tour after that.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:14 pm 

I think their production also has a lot to do with the initial "wow factor" people have as well. Especially from "From Mars To Sirius" onward, they have a very "huge" and thundering sound to their productions (the guitars obviously, but the vocals too) which emphasizes their writing style dramatically - a lot of rhythmic chugging and low, simple tremolo riffs that are meant to sound big and monolithic ("WHOAAA HOLY SHIT LISTEN TO THAT!!"). If the production wasn't like that, I feel a lot of their fans wouldn't care as much.

On top of that, think of the average music listener these days - especially when it comes to a lot of electronic and pop music you see in the top 40s. A lot of it thrives on a catchy beat and rhythm. A lot of people really like interesting rhythms and Gojira's chock-full of them, while not being as all-over-the-place or alien-like as Meshuggah. When you top it with the odd bits of melodic guitar playing and vocals that are a fine line between singing and screaming, Gojira end up being extreme enough to be different and appealing to rock listeners, but conventional enough to not be completely off-putting or over their heads.

Personally, I enjoy a good deal of Gojira's music, though I haven't revisted it much since "L'enfant sauvage." What I've heard since then still seems pretty good though. That said the reason I have a hard time coming back fervently to them is that the elements of music I love hearing most just aren't as present in their music (same with Meshuggah actually), being melodic hooks, harmonies/good chord progressions, and I'm a sucker for the wall of sound created with distorted chords ringing out (hence why I love black metal and post metal so much - btw OP if you're looking at Post-metal, I wouldn't list Baroness or Mastodon as their a little too far removed from that genre). If I'm in the mood for strictly crushing rhythms, I'll throw them on (or Meshuggah) because for what they do, they do it really well - there just isn't enough of what I personally want in music to have me coming back again and again, and I feel it may be similar for a lot of other people who can't stay hooked.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:30 pm 

I like them a lot. They definitely follow a 'less is more' approach to songwriting, and coupling that approach with the production that makes everything sound massive, they ultimately create a really powerful feeling to all their albums. Love their vocals to, just way unique and well done. Especially when he does that half scream/half sing thing- just really goddam powerful.

Seeing them for the first time in September with Deftones, can't wait :)

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:37 pm 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
Actually listening to From Mars to Sirius for the first time right now. It's very dull with the occasional cool idea. Not seeing the hype myself. They feel like one of those "you had to be there" bands.

Yeah probably, I was big into that album in high school and can still enjoy it for nostalgia reasons but the album is too long. In fact I still think it has the heaviest pick-slides I've ever heard in my life(eat your heart out Revenge). Some cool songs on the album before it as well.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:49 pm 

Ahhh good old Gojira. Gojira is such a frustrating band for me. Gojira has some songs that I absolutely adore "Love" "Clone" "BackBone" "Planned Obscelence" "Vacuity" and a couple others, however the rest of their stuff totally bores me to tears. Most artists might have 5 songs out of 9 that I love and the other 4 are just average songs just not stand out, with Gojira you get 4 or 5 great songs and then 5 or 6 totally annoying slow boring experimental head scratchers. So I enjoy them for what they are, i check out their releases because I always expect atleast 1 or 2 songs that I will greatly enjoy but i'll never throw them in my list of greatest bands, and I certainly wouldnt classify them as the band of the decade.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:16 pm 

kluseba wrote:
Gojira have a distinctive style and some interesting lyrics to be fair. However, I would also call them overrated and don't understand the hype. You shouldn't really trust Metal Hammer though, since its journalists have always been known for trying to jump the bandwagon and being trendy.

Quote:
With stirring songwriting that considers grief, philosophy and ecological collapse, the French quartet have become one of the world’s greatest heavy bands. They discuss their journey so far

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/apr/30/nature-is-hurting-gojira-the-metal-band-confronting-the-climate-crisis

Good to see journalists at work again ... not.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:58 pm 

frostjunkie wrote:
KrigareTjovane wrote:

Yeah probably, I was big into that album in high school and can still enjoy it for nostalgia reasons but the album is too long. In fact I still think it has the heaviest pick-slides I've ever heard in my life(eat your heart out Revenge). Some cool songs on the album before it as well.

Yeah no shame in enjoying it. It's extremely well made in a lot of regards.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:03 pm 

frostjunkie wrote:
In fact I still think it has the heaviest pick-slides I've ever heard in my life(eat your heart out Revenge). Some cool songs on the album before it as well.

:lol:

For the record I'm pretty sure they're a mixture of pick slides and also moving the fingers along the strings (like what you hear when you shift positions on an acoustic guitar) but with heavy distortion. Either way they sound fucking sick though.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:29 pm 

I'm not surprised Gojira became big. They are very unique in their sound. You can really hear its them by just a few seconds. The sound is very groovy and often of a mid pace which works usually works better for the larger crowd. While not super melodious they still have some of that and very catchy hooks. It is also heavy enough to please fans of extreme metal but not to such an extent that is scares away the more mainstream fans.

I think the band is excellent when they hit their peaks but for me they are a little bit one dimensional through the course of a whole album.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:40 pm 

They're not the worst thing I've ever heard, but I've actually struggled to get through an entire album of their music because it all tends to run together and it feels kind of static, almost like the songs are moving without actually going anywhere. Generally inoffensive and decent in small doses is my reaction, but I don't really get the hype surrounding them.

oneyoudontknow wrote:
kluseba wrote:

Quote:
With stirring songwriting that considers grief, philosophy and ecological collapse, the French quartet have become one of the world’s greatest heavy bands. They discuss their journey so far

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/apr/30/nature-is-hurting-gojira-the-metal-band-confronting-the-climate-crisis

Good to see journalists at work again ... not.

This is a classic example of what I hate about larger music media outlets in general and the big metal outlets in particular, what did that "journalist" say exactly with regards to the music? I feel less like I'm being informed and more like I'm being preached at or propagandized into listening to the band based on their lyrics alone.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:02 pm 

I'm another one that doesn't see the hype in this band, but at this point on my metal journey, who really cares?

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:18 pm 

So sounds like a lot of mixed reviews about a band who's got talent and is good live but nothing extraordinary either, of course, based on your personal tastes.

I'm going to check out the songs and albums that people recommended at some point cause I've still only heard like 2 songs lol, but what people said about them being "inoffensive" and heavy enough to appeal to metal heads but "normal" enough to appeal to rock fans sounds right for the 2 tracks I heard which were off the newer album, one of which was "Amazonia".

I guess I am just so into stuff that is truly off the wall these days that few bands are winning me over by playing that "middle of the road" game.

I mean I can like anything so long as it appeals to my ears but I'm often looking for some really sick heavy blackened grind or grindcore or some technical spaced out death metal like Ulthar or Xoth or Archspire or The Zenith Passage, or sick death like Of Feather and Bone or I'm listening to blistering interesting shit like Black Curse, Fluids, Pissgrave, or maybe going back and digging out old school death like Sadus, Cancer, etc, so "middle of the road" bands with the tight jams are not exactly what I'm all that interested in, but from what little i heard they sounded entirely DECENT, just not necessarily ground breaking.

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:21 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
frostjunkie wrote:
In fact I still think it has the heaviest pick-slides I've ever heard in my life(eat your heart out Revenge). Some cool songs on the album before it as well.

:lol:

For the record I'm pretty sure they're a mixture of pick slides and also moving the fingers along the strings (like what you hear when you shift positions on an acoustic guitar) but with heavy distortion. Either way they sound fucking sick though.

Conqueror/Revenge for sure double it up on record as well, but yeah whatever they did to achieve it it sounds absolutely massive.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:10 pm 

I do have to agree with Ill-Starred Son here. While From Mars to Sirius slapped, everything else felt okay, but nothing special.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:26 pm 

I've never really understood the hype, they sound to me like every other generic prog band that flirts with core elements
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:40 pm 

I often find these sorts of threads to be disingenuous. Not always because of the OP, but because they often serve as a way to bitch about the success of a band when said band's popularity exceeds the interest that one individual has for their music. I mean... big news everyone, people like music that you don't.

But let's give this a fair chance anyway. Gojira are successful because they are as accessible as extreme metal gets. They give a hell of a show. I've seen them twice already in big festivals, and both shows were among my most memorable experiences at metal shows. They have nice stage effects and pyrotech. They are aso very charismatic and are genuinely nice people who know how to present themselves well. They have machine gun precision. I've never seen a band that's so extremely precise live. A friend of mine actually had a studio at the same place they practiced, years ago, and these guys basically have precision drills. They practice until they are so precise and synchronised, nothing sticks out. They are environmentalists who raise funds to protect the Amazonian Forest, for example, and their lyrics have this very genuine, honest and caring aura to them.

About the music itself now. There is basically nothing that sounds like Gojira. No, they do not sound anything like a prog band that flirts with core, as they have basically nothing core in their music. Synchronised palm-muted chug riffs aren't exclusive to "core", and Gojira is as far removed from core as can be. They have their own unique sound that blends death metal riffing with groove metal in a very distinct and unique way. They have catchy choruses. They have heavy, hard-hitting riffs that generates the most intense and fun mosh pits. They've built a nice universe for their fans, both throught their lyrics and imagery, on cover albums, artworks, merch, etc. Their fans even call them "whalecore".

Now are they "the best band of the decade"? I don't know and I don't care. They are just a talented band that plays their cards right and manages to rally a big fanbase. To me, they aren't the best band ever, but I definitely get with they have such a huge following. It's a balance between being creative enough, unique, accessible but without sacrificing heavyness, and they are catchy. Now do the math. That's exactly why they are so popular.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:14 pm 

I think Gojira's popularity is petty self-explanatory: you take a little bit of Death, Groove, and Progressive Metal, add in some ambitious but still extemely catchy at the same time songwriting, and include one of best drummers working in Metal today with Mario, and that gets you one of the finest modern Metal bands in them, baby.

:-D

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:58 am 

I suppose, like all discussions about something being overrated/underrated, it depends on how much you like the band.
I tried a few times and didn't find anything to like really, apart from maybe their lyrical concept. Modern metal is just too modern for me.
Anyone remember Trivium? I thought they were supposed to be "the next Iron Maiden"...

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:23 am 

I like them a lot. Up to Magma, their discography is fantastic and truly enjoyable. The Way of all Flesh found its way on to the 2000-2009 poll and it edged From Mars to Sirius only because I chose not to put same band twice on the list. I know they are not everybody's cup of tea, then again nothing is.

Seen them 4 times live now and they are one of the most solid live bands out there. Backbone on Brutal Assault 2018, still have it etched in my brain. That riff comes on, crowd goes absolutely nuts, four minutes of pure madness.

They even found their way to the list of best music in 2021 published by Guardian, which does say a lot about their status currently (then again, The Body is also on the list).

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... ms-of-2021

Pelata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:31 am 

I'm not gonna knock them, but I have not heard anything from them that makes me want to run out and buy their albums.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:04 am 

They're one of the most dilligent and hardworking bands around and have earned every bit of their success, so I don't begrudge them any of it even if what they do don't always appeal to my tastes. They basically took Morbid Angel's slower moments (and their pick scrapes), mixed it up with some Meshuggah rhythms, some Sepultura tribalisms, and Devin Townsend's "screaming but in tune" singing style and made a cool and instantly recognisable thing out of it.

While I love all of the components, I usually only truly dig three or fours tracks per album before I feel a bit burnt out, but they're obviously very good at what they do (live they're especially blistering) so it should come as no surprise that they've gained a big following and a good reputation, especially after incorporating more melodies and clean vocals on the last couple of albums.

Last edited by Runko on Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:40 am 

Runko wrote:
They're one of the most dilligent and hardworking bands around and have earned every bit of their success, so I don't begrudge them any of it even if what they don't always appeal to my tastes. They basically took Morbid Angel's slower moments (and their pick scrapes), mixed it up with some Meshuggah rhythms, some Sepultura tribalisms, and Devin Townsend's "screaming but in tune" singing style and made a cool and instantly recognisable thing out of it.

While I love all of the components, I usually only truly dig three or fours tracks per album before I feel a bit burnt out, but they're obviously very good at what they do (live they're especially blistering) so it should come as no surprise that they've gained a big following and a good reputation, especially after incorporating more melodies and clean vocals on the last couple of albums.

Very good description of their music and the judgment on how much you enjoy the band is akin to mine. And your nickname is very funny in Swedish (could be used as an epithet of someone who masturbates a lot) :lol:
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:39 pm 

InnesI wrote:
your nickname is very funny in Swedish (could be used as an epithet of someone who masturbates a lot) :lol:

Åh fan.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:26 pm 

Runko wrote:
InnesI wrote:
your nickname is very funny in Swedish (could be used as an epithet of someone who masturbates a lot) :lol:

Åh fan.

Skål! :beer:
Ad hominem

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:56 pm 

Runko wrote:

I feel the same. I hardly ever listen through an entire record, except for From Mars to Sirius on occasions. But they truly are a band you can truly grasp and understand when you see them live. The energy and stage presence, combined with a selection of their best songs from their discography makes for a very entertaining and compelling live setting.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:29 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I often find these sorts of threads to be disingenuous. Not always because of the OP, but because they often serve as a way to bitch about the success of a band when said band's popularity exceeds the interest that one individual has for their music. I mean... big news everyone, people like music that you don't.

But let's give this a fair chance anyway. Gojira are successful because they are as accessible as extreme metal gets. They give a hell of a show. I've seen them twice already in big festivals, and both shows were among my most memorable experiences at metal shows. They have nice stage effects and pyrotech. They are aso very charismatic and are genuinely nice people who know how to present themselves well. They have machine gun precision. I've never seen a band that's so extremely precise live. A friend of mine actually had a studio at the same place they practiced, years ago, and these guys basically have precision drills. They practice until they are so precise and synchronised, nothing sticks out. They are environmentalists who raise funds to protect the Amazonian Forest, for example, and their lyrics have this very genuine, honest and caring aura to them.

About the music itself now. There is basically nothing that sounds like Gojira. No, they do not sound anything like a prog band that flirts with core, as they have basically nothing core in their music. Synchronised palm-muted chug riffs aren't exclusive to "core", and Gojira is as far removed from core as can be. They have their own unique sound that blends death metal riffing with groove metal in a very distinct and unique way. They have catchy choruses. They have heavy, hard-hitting riffs that generates the most intense and fun mosh pits. They've built a nice universe for their fans, both throught their lyrics and imagery, on cover albums, artworks, merch, etc. Their fans even call them "whalecore".

Now are they "the best band of the decade"? I don't know and I don't care. They are just a talented band that plays their cards right and manages to rally a big fanbase. To me, they aren't the best band ever, but I definitely get with they have such a huge following. It's a balance between being creative enough, unique, accessible but without sacrificing heavyness, and they are catchy. Now do the math. That's exactly why they are so popular.

To be clear, I didn't start this thread "to bitch about them being popular" and like I said, I still have only heard 2 songs of theirs.

I was more actually literally asking what other people think about why they are so popular, and you gave a pretty good explanation for why you think so.

I could listen to them more and end up deciding they are one of my favorite bands for all we know.

I think the problem has more to do with the kind of journalists that these online mags like Metal Hammer have pronouncing bands "Metal band of the Decade".

Generally speaking, I am going to be skeptical of practically any band that anyone refers to as "band of the decade" just because that's such an outspoken statement.

Even there being a particular "band of the year" for metal in general is saying a lot considering how many subgenres there are.

I might buy something like "grindcore band of the year" or "melodic death metal album of the year" as statements of high praise that i could buy into, but if we are going as far as to name "bands of the decade" when it comes to metal I'm probably not buying what you are selling unless it's Black Sabbath for the 70s or maybe just based on sheer popularity alone Metallica for the 80s and that's about it.

I wasn't saying that I didn't like Gojira, I opened by saying I'd barely ever even listened to them before and just thought I'd get a discussion going about what it is that makes them so talked about recently since I keep hearing them mentioned so much.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next