Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:38 am 

So, I figured it would be a good idea to discuss the Euro! So, what are your expectations? Who will you be rooting for? Who are the favourites in your opinion?

Obviously, I'll be rooting for my country, but it will be hard for us because we are in a very tough group - Germany, France and Hungary. If we don't qualify, I'd like to see either Germany or Spain win it. How about you folks?

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:51 am 

I'm hoping that the English team's performance isn't too obnoxious (not too much rolling-around-as-if-shot penalty hunting), and that the fans stay at home or something - COVID should be a massive help there. Not going out on penalties would nice, too. Otherwise, be nice if Wales or one of the Scandi countries did well.

France should win it if their players turn up on the day ?

You're right, Germany - France - Hungary - Portugal, proper group of death that one :lol:

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:02 pm 

I'm rooting for my home country Germany. It's Löw's last tournament and Germany doesn't have anything to lose after three difficult years. That's why it's truly hard to predict how well Germany is going to be performing. I'm going to be modest and would already be satisfied if Germany made it to the quarter finals.

Regarding all strengths and weakness, I would guess that France is a clear favourite to win the title.

It would also be nice to experience another Cinderella story in the key of Greece back in 2004.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:24 am 

I reckon France will win, which isn't exactly pushing the boat out as far as predictions go. I just hope all Liverpool players get eliminated early so they can have a bit more rest, and that England fail miserably.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:10 pm 

Very sad what happened in our game. I hope the Danish guy will be okay. Didn't look too good. Would've imagined Finland's first game ever in these kind of tournaments would've been a happier occasion.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:26 pm 

Never seen anything like that, I hope Eriksen is alright, he was obviously unconscious when they were trying to treat him. Scary stuff.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:04 pm 

Good news, folks! Eriksen is already awake at the hospital. Message from UEFA:

The player has been transferred to the hospital and has been stabilised.
— UEFA (@UEFA) June 12, 2021

What a relief!

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:45 pm 

The collapse of Eriksen was really shocking.
It's really amazing how Finland actually won this game, 1 goal in 1 attempt.
Denmark had a lot of bad luck this evening...I hope Eriksen is alright and wish Denmark luck, they deserve to be at least in the round of 16.

Group F is clearly the group of death, Hungary have no chance and the matches between Germany-France-Portugal are gonna be intense.
Nobody will be surprised if France will win this tournament , but my personal favorite is Portugal.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:39 pm 

A bit of a moment for sure.

At the same time I can't help but think about how he prob survived it but we are going to the world cup in Qatar anyway.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:15 am 

I wasn't impressed by Croatia. Haven't been since the 2018 world cup finals. Not expecting anything from here on.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:47 pm 

Yeah and Croatia always underachieve normally underachieve at cups, I guess we are going back to that now. Shame because they have enough quality to win the cup really. I think they lack a truly good coach.

Netherlands - Ukraine was interesting. In terms of defense the Netherlands looked very sloppy and Ukraine looked like they got their system right at least. 3 goals despite Memphis Depay playing a shitty game is not something we've seen in quite some time which is prob the best news for us right here. Hopefully Frank actually learned from this game and improves the defense and I don't even think the switch to 5-3-2 is to blame for this.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:58 am 

It's confirmed that Eriksen suffered a full blown heart attack. I really hope he pulls through.

England beat Croatia, so they're naturally going to win the tournament.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:10 pm 

Eriksen surviving is really what matters most coming out of all this. It was quite lucky, in all the bad luck, that he had his heart attack during the game. Had he had it while being out running he wouldn't have made it through.

Spain vs Sweden just finished playing. A draw and we should be very happy with the point. Spain absolutely dominated. It could have been 3-0 or more!
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

An Ferbasach
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:26 pm 

Disappointing result for Scotland today, losing 2-0 to the Czech Republic. Can't fault the player's effort but not enough quality on display and the set up was too negative, especially since we were playing at home.

England up next. Just hope we can put in a credible performance and keep the scoreline respectable.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:06 pm 

Good result from my country today. Let's see what Germany and France can do.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:52 pm 

The "big" matches in championships often turn out to be a disappointment, but wow, France-Germany delivers so far. By far the best first half I've seen this Euro.

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:52 pm 

Germany-France was a huge disappointment.

Germany dominated most of the game, but Hummels made a fatal mistake of course.
France parked the bus and went for quick attacks with Mbappe, who didn't score a legitimate goal.

It seems like France gonna win this tournament, but there's something that I just don't like about this team.
It's like they have a lot of superstars but still play ultra defensive and go for quick attacks...very boring and kind of "dirty".

Portugal had an easy game, it's gonna be interesting to see them against France and Germany, Ronaldo seems very determined and motivated.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:37 pm 

Hummels made a mistake, but he had Mbappe right there behind him, who would have go to the ball had he not intervened. It's unfair to lay blame at him, and he redeemed himself with that tackle when Mbappe was clean through. Germany had enough chances to take something from the game. France were also unlucky with a couple of tight offside calls.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

SquirrelHunt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:13 am 

Human666 wrote:
It's like they have a lot of superstars but still play ultra defensive and go for quick attacks...very boring and kind of "dirty".

Could see that coming and hate it, but it's understandable even from a potential opponent's viewpoint. The Cup is the only thing that matters after all.

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:57 pm 

So glad Turkey lost, their barbaric exhibition was embarrassing, too much rage and not enough brain.
Bale missed the penalty but delivered a couple of great assists, gg.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:24 am 

They really got pissed off and forgot how to play. Hence the Wales' goal of the last minutes.

I hope Germany will come back. And they'll probably do. They were always my favourite team. Rudi Völler!

Our team (Finland, if you haven't noticed) was quite shitty against Russia. Well, no one was expecting miracles anyway. Still slight chances to get into the semi-finals!

ironman8008
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:17 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:
They really got pissed off and forgot how to play. Hence the Wales' goal of the last minutes.

I hope Germany will come back. And they'll probably do. They were always my favourite team. Rudi Völler!

Our team (Finland, if you haven't noticed) was quite shitty against Russia. Well, no one was expecting miracles anyway. Still slight changes to get into the semi-finals!

With all the experience that Germans have it's a disgrace to score such an own goal. If they won't concentrate 100%, they'll be done in the next game.

Despite being partly of Russian descent, I am highly sorry for Finland loss especially in a light of that disallowed goal. Such a nonsense. They deserve to proceed and not Russians.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:20 am 

Good to hear that, ironman. I was in heavens for a while after that goal. It was a very close call.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:33 pm 

Just when I was about to say Germany was putting a clinic on Portugal, Portugal is clawing their way back in this match.

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:00 pm 

What a day!
I think Hungary rose above everyone's expectations, a draw against France is a very surprising result for them.
Germany defeated Portugal, I hope Portugal will win France in their next game although it's not gonna be an easy task.
Spain and Poland finished with a draw, both teams must secure a win to advance to the next stage of the tournament, it's gonna be very intense.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:53 pm 

Human666 wrote:
What a day!
I think Hungary rose above everyone's expectations, a draw against France is a very surprising result for them.
Germany defeated Portugal, I hope Portugal will win France in their next game although it's not gonna be an easy task.
Spain and Poland finished with a draw, both teams must secure a win to advance to the next stage of the tournament, it's gonna be very intense.

I think Poland could defeat Sweden if they play like the did against Spain. Concerning Spain I'd say this is their worst team since their golden period of the last decade, but even now if they are on top of their game they should be able to crush Slovakia. But then again, they should have crushed Poland too and they didn't. if Slovakia plays with the passion they played against Poland (I didn't see their other match) they might have a chance against Spain...to at least get a draw out of the game.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:37 am 

So no one thinks Belgium can win? I didn't see a single person in this thread mention them at all. Aren't they currently ranked #1 in the world right now? Not that rankings, always mean that they win though.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:28 am 

Last night's game against Belgium was painful to watch. So big difference in playing skills. I guess we gave our everything, and to defend, defend and defend was probably the only real option we had. Still a very one-sided game.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:22 pm 

Belgium has a good chance but I'm guessing Italy for now. They basically switched out the entire squad and still won easily with 1-0.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:06 pm 

Croatia seem to be getting more focused. Not expecting too much given it was just Scotland (who played fairly well I thought), but this was a very good match.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:04 am 

Fernando Santos is such a mediocre coach. How he managed to win the Euro with us and the Nations League is still a mystery.

Anyway, Belgium for us in the knockout round. Let's see how it goes. Portugal hasn't faced Belgium that often in history. I only remember a couple of friendlies, with us winning one and drawing the other. But they were both ages ago already. Not sure what to expect and whether the Belgian style of play will be troublesome for us.

If we beat Belgium we'll most likely face Italy and I doubt we can send them packing.

France are the favourites to win the whole tying because they're the world champions and all, but Euros are usually more unpredictable than world cups, so who knows.

I can see Italy winning this.

Germany and England got the "weaker" side of the brackets. The winner of that bout will most likely make it to the final unless they fuck it up or the Dutch beat them in the semis.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:06 am 

Now the group stage is done i think the best squads are in order sort of.

1. Italy
2. France
3. Belgium
4. Portugal
5. Germany

The Netherlands, Croatia and England aren't bad but not on that level.

Italy won their group with such ease, the most frightening team of the tournament.
France is a bit shaky but I think thats also because they faced tough opposition and I think the level of this euro is higher than the last one. At least the best teams are better than the last time.
Belgium seems like they need to get warmed up a bit more but with Kevin back in they are prob the most lethal squad attacking wise.
Croatia has an aging squad but still has a lot potential. I'm not a fan of the coach and ofc Croatia usually underperforms in tournaments save for the last WC.
Portugal plays much better football than the last time but they were in the group of death. Even though they lost to Germany they played pretty good for the first 20 min and the game against France was also of a high level. Had less issues dealing with Hungary than the other 2 countries too.
Germany is a bit inconsistent from one game to the next. I am not sure what the deal is but they were playing better so far than I expected.

The Netherlands has a good squad but is lacking somewhat when it comes to squad depth for the midfield and forwards. Prob have the best defenders on an individual basis of the entire tournament even without Virgil. I'm not a fan of Frank de Boer though.
England has a decent squad but I don't think they fall a bit short in terms of attacking midfielders and absolute world class players. The latter doesn't have to be a problem but I feel like the first is what makes them fall short so far for this Southgate era.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:01 pm 

First surprise of the tournment: the Netherlands are out, after three wins in their group stage.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:00 pm 

well I did expect them to beat the Czechs but frankly Frank proved once again he isn't a very good coach. After the 1st drinking pause the Czechs were better and it could have been 1-0 in the first half already, maybe they could have regained control if not for the red though. Anyway the games pre the cup weren't exactly stellar and the opponents in the group weren't exactly stellar.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:08 pm 

Did Kevin De Bruyne re-injure his ankle again? That's a killer for Belgium, they were my pick but now I'm going with Italy or France.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:49 am 

...And my country is out. Even though we didn't play a spectacular game, IMHO we were better. And if Belgium keeps playing like this, Italy's gonna destroy them.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:48 pm 

I knew Mbappe was going to blow it, lol

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:48 pm 

France is out! Great match though. Actually they both were tonight.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:57 pm 

A few underdogs are through to the next stage - I always love that.

Sweden plays tomorrow. We should have a good chance against Ukraine. If we win I hope we get England in the quarter finals both because we have a better chance against them historically (I think anyway) but also because I have a good eye towards them having been a resident there.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:40 pm 

What a rollercoaster that Switzerland-France game was! I'm not partial to either team, but even I was on the edge of my seat. Some of the goals were beautifully executed.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next