Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:08 pm 

Been enjoying this one:

Omnia Malis Est - Lucania
https://omniamalisest.bandcamp.com/album/lucania

One man BM act from Italy. He has a previous album from 2015, which I might check out because this new one has been fun to listen to.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:25 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:
The only other Bloodbound album I've listened to is Tabula Rasa, so I'm not sure how else it compares, but Creatures of the Dark Realm is easily one of the best power metal albums so far this year. Getting serious Freedom Call vibes.

My copy is arriving Sunday! I'm pretty excited to hear it!

Bloodbound's career is all over the place. They started as a more straight-ahead power metal band for their first couple of releases, with Nosferatu being far better than Book of the Dead. Tabula Rasa is their best album by a mile and sounds like nothing they'd ever do before or again. It seems like the band doesn't like that album, and when I saw them live, they didn't play anything from it.

After that, they switched to more of a Dream Evil/HammerFall sound on Unholy Cross and In The Name of Metal. I think fans tend to like the former but not the latter; I like both of them. Stormborn shows them evolving into their current sound, which is basically just Sabaton/Powerwolf worship but about dragons. War of Dragons is by far my favourite of this style (excepting the new one, which I'll hear shortly). Hopefully they evolve again soon because I could see this sound getting stale pretty quickly.

Edit: Figured I should give a ranking since I talked about most of their releases: Tabula Rasa > Nosferatu > War of Dragons > Stormborn > In The Name of Metal > Unholy Cross > Rise of the Dragon Empire > Book of the Dead

Man, I went back over the past two days and explored Nosferatu and Tabula Rasa. I forgot how good those albums are. Breed's vocals are infectious.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:07 am 

Ashaant wrote:
Dödsrit - Mortal Coil

Really melodic, well produced atmospheric BM. Great comeback.

Thanx for this, I really enjoyed Spirit Crusher and did not know they had new music out.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:01 pm 

I gotta tell you, I was blown away by the new Fluids album Not Dark Yet.

This is a major step up for this band; it’s still very primitive and extraordinarily brutal, but there is just enough new twists to keep things “fresh”, for a lack of a better term.

For one, yes they still use samples and are still very real and highly disturbing, but they are way less visceral and way more psychological. The use of samples this time around seems to be less about physical violence and more about the mental impact of said violent scenarios.

There’s all these electronic-esque flourishes throughout via the hi hat programming, over both the slow and intensely fast sections. It makes for some weird, unsettling rhythmic tension (not quite polyrhythms, though).

The eight minute “Humanity Reviled” sounds like it has a violin lead(?) at one point, and a melodically mournful guitar solo towards the end.

But make no mistake, when this album gets heavy, it gets skullcrushingly so. And really, it’s skullcrushingly heavy and extreme throughout the majority of the 37 minute runtime.

And it seems as if there is some kind of misanthropic theme throughout, rather than just wanton violence. Two of the samples appear to be used to express some kind of anti-police brutality message? I could be very wrong about this, obviously the vocal delivery is unintelligibly brutal (an amazing performance by new vocalist Brennan Westerrmeyer).

Highly impress by this.
Obliteration

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:20 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
This one is hard to describe. Technical/progressive death/thrash metal?

https://atvm.bandcamp.com/album/famine- ... ng-endless

Checked this out today after finding myself intrigued by the cover art and aesthetic. This band has definite promise. The album is overly long for my tastes, but I'm very interested in how they'll progress on future releases. Dig the production too.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:31 pm 

Anyone else really enjoy the new Seth album? Melodic/aggressive French black metal. Came across this by accident thanks to Spotify.

https://innomineseth.bandcamp.com/album/la-morsure-du-christ

Also this album by Yoth Iria from Greece, need to listen to this one more, but it was pretty interesting and a little different.
https://paganrecords.bandcamp.com/album/as-the-flame-withers

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:55 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Anyone else really enjoy the new Seth album? Melodic/aggressive French black metal. Came across this by accident thanks to Spotify.

https://innomineseth.bandcamp.com/album/la-morsure-du-christ

Also this album by Yoth Iria from Greece, need to listen to this one more, but it was pretty interesting and a little different.
https://paganrecords.bandcamp.com/album/as-the-flame-withers

Yeah the new Seth rocks. Way more in line with their initial style than The Howling Spirit.

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:00 pm 

Received the debut album by Crypta, Echoes of the Soul, today and it's very solid. Really nails old school death metal vibes but Fernanda's vocals and some of the guitars give it a blackened feel which makes it stand out from other OSDM albums. Further, every song has killer melodic, virtuosic guitar solos that sound great, like Death Arcana which gives me massive Chuck Schuldiner guitar vibes on the solo. Gonna be contending for a top spot on my favorite death metal albums this year.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:51 am 

worlock wrote:
doomicus wrote:
I've been obsessed with Heavy Sentence - Bang to Rights lately. Feels like an amalgamation of Thin Lizzy and Motörhead with a good helping of all things on the speedier end of NWoBHM.

Yup, this pretty much fulfilled all the expectations I had from the singles. Awesome and super fun album.

Just got round to this, halfway through my first listen and in agreement with the above. Really good album so far.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:00 pm 

XSpidercideX wrote:
Received the debut album by Crypta, Echoes of the Soul, today and it's very solid. Really nails old school death metal vibes but Fernanda's vocals and some of the guitars give it a blackened feel which makes it stand out from other OSDM albums. Further, every song has killer melodic, virtuosic guitar solos that sound great, like Death Arcana which gives me massive Chuck Schuldiner guitar vibes on the solo. Gonna be contending for a top spot on my favorite death metal albums this year.

Really enjoying this one. One of the most exciting release this year. Fantastic production and great musicianship. The drummer does the tastiest blast beats I've heard in a while. And like you say, it has that classic vibe. It's on my top 10 list. Songwriting is lacking a bit but I'm expected great things of Crypta in the future.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:05 am 

Burning Witches - The Witch of the North

They've settled their lineup now & have gotten better use of the singer this time around; this album is a proper cross between good Manowar and modern Priest - big chunky riffs, decent solos, some Halford-isms in amongst the standard Trad / Power style vocals. There's even a whiff of Girlschool on some of the gang-vocal sections, choruses, etc., which was a nice surprise. Yes it's cheesier than a cheesy thing, but it's always nice to have more heavy metal played with obvious enjoyment.

The singles -

Spoiler: show

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:26 pm 

This blackened sludge/doom EP is pretty killer.
Melancholia - Static Church
https://melancholia.bandcamp.com/album/static-church
Spoiler: show

Transphilvanian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:54 am 

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Mystic Storm's debut has been released and is amazing, definitely worth checking out for fans of thrash/heavy metal!

https://mysticstorm.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by Transphilvanian on Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:33 am 

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but General Surgery just released a new EP:

https://generalsurgery.bandcamp.com/album/lay-down-and-be-counted-ep

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:08 am 

Transphilvanian wrote:
Not sure if it's been mentioned but Mystic Storm's debut has been released and is amazing, definitely worth checking out for fans of thrash/heavy metal!

Just listened in full and holy fucking shit. This is like Znowhite (esp the post-apocalyptic gloom of Act of God) crossed with thrash-era Manilla Road, and the production is phenomenal in all aspects. Only one listen and I can already tell I'm gonna be addicted.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:58 am 

This Helleruin album came out in March and I've been spinning it regularly ever since. Easily one of my favorites this year. Super riffy, raw, black n rolly "trve" black metal.

https://helleruin6.bandcamp.com/album/war-upon-man

edit: Just noticed last night that Djevel came out with another album a few days ago. These guys are churning out an amazing album every year lately, one of my favorite active bands.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/2eEuZMHC3LdWsxogUqlI3y

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:02 am 

Witch Vomit just surprise released a new EP today. As expected, it rips.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:12 am 

This went completely under my radar, but it seems Taphos put out a new EP last month:

https://taphos.bandcamp.com/album/blood-plethora

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:52 pm 

Bloodbeat - Process of Extinction kicks ass. Reminds me of Enforced whose Kill Grid is high on my list of albums of the year.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:47 pm 

Wrldeatr wrote:
XSpidercideX wrote:

Really enjoying this one. One of the most exciting release this year. Fantastic production and great musicianship. The drummer does the tastiest blast beats I've heard in a while. And like you say, it has that classic vibe. It's on my top 10 list. Songwriting is lacking a bit but I'm expected great things of Crypta in the future.

I also just got this one, and am digging it a lot. Funnily enough though, the one criticism I do have is that I think the blast beats sound a bit too mechanical.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:55 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Transphilvanian wrote:

Just listened in full and holy fucking shit. This is like Znowhite (esp the post-apocalyptic gloom of Act of God) crossed with thrash-era Manilla Road, and the production is phenomenal in all aspects. Only one listen and I can already tell I'm gonna be addicted.

This album is REALLY fuckin great! Your description caught my attention, thanks for that. I hope (like Demiser) this gets released on CD.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:42 pm 

The new Perilaxe Occlusion demo Raytraces of Death is really good. I have to say that using 3D modeling and rendering techniques as a lyrical theme is pretty unique, even if the music itself is not necessarily anything new. In any case, these guys know how to write well-crafted songs in this style of OSDM I'm more than happy to listen to it.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:42 pm 

The new Duskmourn is every bit as brilliant as I had hoped that it would be. They've evolved their sound a bit yet again on Fallen Kingdoms and Rusted Crowns. This time, they focus more on just writing great songs and getting straight to the point. It's incredibly layered and although I've gotten to listen to it through a few times, I haven't been able to sit down with my good headphones and soak it in. Even without that, there were multiple passages that had me grinning like a fool because of how perfect they come together.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:50 pm 

doomicus wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
This one is hard to describe. Technical/progressive death/thrash metal?

https://atvm.bandcamp.com/album/famine- ... ng-endless

Checked this out today after finding myself intrigued by the cover art and aesthetic. This band has definite promise. The album is overly long for my tastes, but I'm very interested in how they'll progress on future releases. Dig the production too.

This album is really fucking great. Throw some thrash, death, black and post-metal in a blender, sprinkle some progressive elements and you've got a close approximation of this album. But it's greater than the sum of its parts - Atvm have nailed it. I'm having a ton of fun with the album. And that album cover is definitely something.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:27 pm 

Yeah that Duskmourn is awesome, but I slightly prefer the last album. Sounds a bit more epic and triumphant to my ears.

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:39 am 

new Thy Catafalque is excellent as always! What an artist that Tamás is!

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:50 am 

The new Cerebral Rot is a step up from their last album IMO.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:02 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:

How does this compare to the previous album? I really enjoyed "Bowels of Decrepitude" and i'm sure the two tracks from Spewing Purulence will sound great on here too.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:35 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
Witch Vomit just surprise released a new EP today. As expected, it rips.

I'm enjoying the heavier style, but the production is doing no favors here. When things get fast it's impossible to tell what the hell is going on.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:29 pm 

Gravetemplar deserves a beer or whatever their poison is for recommending Atvm. It gets better each listen.

I'm enjoying Plague Lord who released their The Silent King EP. It's meat and potatoes Swedish DM but it got me good.

I'm liking the new Intonate album Severed Within. It reminds me of Ulcerate who had a stunning album last year.

Another one that has got my attention is Svneatr and their album Chinook. It's BM with a bit of proggy, guitar wizardry. Needs more listens but I'm enjoying it.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:01 am 

MeavyHetal wrote:
How does this compare to the previous album?

IT'S FILTHIER, TOP 10 OF THE YEAR FOR SURE

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:26 am 

jjohn wrote:
new Thy Catafalque is excellent as always! What an artist that Tamás is!

Fantastic stuff. Just on my first listen, Móló is a wonderful song.

SquirrelHunt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:36 am 

Cabecao wrote:
Gravetemplar deserves a beer or whatever their poison is for recommending Atvm. It gets better each listen.

Agreed. Upon the first few listens, I wasn't impressed with the first three tracks, but they're slowly growing on me. Definitely a 2021 highlight together with new StarGazer, Moral Collapse and Acid Age.
Also a beer for you for the SVNEATR recommendation. That's some interesting and mesmerizing riffery.

Neptune777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:02 am 

Kalaratri wrote:

Really enjoying this release so far. Demilich and Incantation vibes aplenty.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:42 am 

Siderean's debut is well worth checking out for those into the psychedelic/cosmic side of OSDM. This is very much in line with bands like Bedsore and Morbus Chron.

Metalisepic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:27 pm 

Fractal Universe - The Impassable Horizon
Great prog/tech death album with many sax solos.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:43 am 

Listened to the new Warmoon Lord album yesterday, nice second album, what do others think of it??

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:42 am 

I can confirm that the new Cerebral Rot album is a ripper. Almost resembles a darker, less technical Demilich at times.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:07 am 

I will also place a vote for the new Thy Catafalque. I was a bit let down by the last one (after Geometria was my favourite Thy Catafalque release), but this new one is pretty great. The last song is so haunting and beautiful.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:24 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
Siderean's debut is well worth checking out for those into the psychedelic/cosmic side of OSDM. This is very much in line with bands like Bedsore and Morbus Chron.

Add Cryptic Shift's album, from last year as well, to that list

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next