Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:30 pm 

I'll take a shot and see if this short song jogs anyone's memories. The impact that the soundtrack to this game had on my musical progression is hard to understate, it's fairly monumental, as it pushed me towards getting into metal in the first place. But in the 2.5 decades since I've never come across anything else quite like it. The opening is kind of industrial metal-ish, but halfway through it takes on almost this pseudo-symphonic black vibe with the choral patch and eerie chord progression.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:40 am 

Devin Townsend - Deconstruction?

I mean, it's prog metal, so most of the time the songs start lighter, but they attain that kind of intensity on the peak.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:56 pm 

Is there a particular song or sections that come to mind? I've heard it and don't recall it having that similar a vibe, though I haven't listened to it since probably last year.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:58 am 

It reminds me a bit of Ram-Zet's Escape. Atmo /industrialized dark metal, quite baroque and schizoid.

Malmonde's Eva also is similar, it's tagged Cyber Metal. They use the same kind of mix of heavy crunchy chords and sci-fi electronics...

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:35 pm 

Escape is one of my favorite albums ever, and I've never thought of it as having similarities, but I guess I could see it. I'll take a look into Malmonde. Mentioning a particular song from the album might also help.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:39 pm 

How about Mysticum? Can't think of a better fit.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:35 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Malmonde's Eva also is similar, it's tagged Cyber Metal. They use the same kind of mix of heavy crunchy chords and sci-fi electronics...

Wow, very interesting. "Behind Me" even starts off with similar sort of riff with the minor 7, root, and flat 2, and some 90s-ish digital synths. Not quite as ominous and a little too clean, but definitely at least headed in the right direction. "Just a Whisper" even has a sped-up bit of the vibe of one of the other Luzietti tracks on the redbook audio. (Which in turn takes cues from Nine Inch Nails' "The Becoming", uses one of the same samples Ministry opens "Grace" with, but then takes the song in new directions.)

A lot of the other Malmonde tracks are further off, with the melodeath vocal vibe, but it's still pretty cool on its own.

coupdebleus wrote:
How about Mysticum? Can't think of a better fit.

Spoiler: show

Ah, now this hits more on the side that Malmonde lacks, with the eerier chord progressions and grimier guitar tone (actually a bit too washed out and not punchy enough). So a bit too lo-fi guitar-wise, and not quite as epic as it could be, but it's definitely at least in the ballpark.

Pincushion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:36 am 

The first thing that comes to mind is maybe Samael? Given their transition from black metal to industrial, they may have covered this sound at some point. I'm not familiar enough to pinpoint anything, though.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:14 pm 

I've heard a few Samael albums and nothing leaped out at the time, though I'm not overly familiar with them either.

Reply to topic