Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:30 pm 

My introduction to Lingua Ignota (Kristin Hayter)'s music was Caligula from 2019 which I thought was a bold and unsettling album but didn't stick with me much overall. Still, I find her to be a creative powerhouse. I imagine there's some fans here.

New album announcement;

Quote:
SINNER GET READY, in which I seek but fail to find God, in God's own country, in which I find betrayal, fear, and loneliness, judgement. I gave my pain a place and the place is named Pennsylvania, and the record unfolded in tandem with the pain, and the landscape entangled me further. It was obsessive and heartbreaking to make. I agonized over how to give my pain to the music, that the music might take it, and the result is something that doesn't sound like anything, including what I have sounded like before. I gave myself over to the atonal conviction of the evangelical chorus, the sharp wound of the bowed banjo and the psaltery and the dulcimer and the frantically ringing bell, and the desperate repitition of the ecstatic language, language. All for god, all for nothing...

From Sargent House;
Spoiler: show
Kristin Hayter, the classically trained multi-instrumentalist, performance artist, and vocalist known as Lingua Ignota has announced her Sargent House debut, SINNER GET READY arriving August 6th. The follow up to her critically acclaimed break out CALIGULA, SINNER GET READY is an unsettling portrait of devotion and betrayal, judgment and consequence, set in the derelict landscape of rural Pennsylvania, a neglected region deeply embedded with a particularly god fearing brand of Christianity, and where Hayter was living during the album’s inception. Watch the video for “PENNSYLVANIA FURNACE” incredibly it was all directed, shot, and edited by Hayter herself using remarkable imagery and the landscapes of rural Pennsylvania. The song reflects on the inevitability of God’s judgment, evoking the legend of an 18th-century ironmaster whose dogs return to drag him down to hell after he throws them all into his furnace in a rage.

With SINNER GET READY Hayter continues to build on the mythology she has created with CALIGULA and ALL BITCHES DIE but renegotiates and dismantles her own aesthetic language. She abandons any previous industrial grandeur and multi-genre approach, instead focusing on creating dissonance with traditional instruments of the Appalachian region. SINNER GET READY was created with Hayter's primary collaborator, producer, and engineer Seth Manchester at Machines With Magnets in Rhode Island, with additional arrangements and performances from multi-instrumentalist and composer Ryan Seaton, and banjo-playing from J. Mamana. A graduate of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago with an MFA in Literary Art from Brown University much of Hayter’s work is centralized around abuse. A survivor of domestic abuse for much of her life, her music seeks to explore the survivor hood of abuse through the vantage point of rage and despair in lieu of common approaches she views as "enforced patriarchal models of civilized femininity". Her past works have received praise from Pitchfork, Noisey, The Quietus among others. Her cover of the song Jolene was the inspiration behind designer Sébastien Meunier’s 2019 spring collection for Ann Demeulemeester who named the collection after it.

Track listing

THE ORDER OF SPIRITUAL VIRGINS
I WHO BEND THE TALL GRASSES
MANY HANDS
PENNSYLVANIA FURNACE
REPENT NOW CONFESS NOW
THE SCARED LINAMENT OF JUDGMENT
PERPETUAL FLAME OF CENTRALIA
MAN IS LIKE A SPRING FLOWER
THE SOLITARY BRETHREN OF EPHRATA

The careful exploration of losing faith in God theme reminds me a bit of what Mizmor did with Cairn. The video for "PENNSYLVANIA FURNACE" is out and looks and feels like an A24 film. I love it. Her voice alone is simply astounding.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:20 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
My introduction to Lingua Ignota (Kristin Hayter)'s music was Caligula from 2019 which I thought was a bold and unsettling album but didn't stick with me much overall. Still, I find her to be a creative powerhouse. I imagine there's some fans here.

That's pretty much my stance too; I've heard both All Bitches Die and Caligula and there's no denying that not only are they both bold and unsettling as you describe, but overall very unique records and extremely powerful listens. Stylistically, not everything she does resonates with me, but I still have mad respect for her as an artist.

From the sound of this track and the description from Sargent House, I'm sensing that this record may be much more up my alley. The single was great and her voice is beautiful!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:20 am 

YES! Finally! I was just thinking of her the other day, wondering when something new was coming.

CALIGULA was released at possibly the most bizarre time in my life, emotionally and mentally. I listened to that record non-stop in the summer/early fall of 2019. I absolutely love it, however, sometimes even thinking about it gives me a weird feeling in my stomach. It absolutely helped me through some terrible uncertainty and darkness.

I love this new track, and I'm looking very forward to this.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:19 pm 

Oh cool, there's fans here after all. Her music is darkly artistic and it will take you some places. I know how that sounds but it's true.

@jimbies, I sorta know what you mean. CALIGULA was a tough listen.

She also reminds me of Diamanda Galas sometimes.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:12 pm 

Her music is darkly artistic and it will take you some places...She also reminds me of Diamanda Galas sometimes.

I think this might be my problem with her. I like Galas' dark and creepy piano blues material, but the really insane stuff just doesn't work for me. Harsh vocals in the context of death metal, electro-industrial or something like that is fine, but I tried to get through one of Ignota's albums and just couldn't do it, it was ear-piercing in an unpleasant way. Is there a particular track or two that might ease me in better?

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:49 pm 

I think you will like the new album better. Not that I've heard it yet or anything but I don't think it will be similar to CALIGULA or All Bitches Die which are jarring and deliberately discomforting. It will be intense in a different way from all reports. The video she just released perhaps could ease you in? The last album functioned better as a whole and has mellower moments but the way they swell and build will still probably rub you the wrong way. That said, try on "May Failure Be Your Noose" for size.

About Diamanda Galas, I love her heavy piano stuff together with the Litanies of Satan-era. That record sounds like nothing else and is still potent for what it is.
She is a tad crotchety in interviews and has a sharp dry wit which I love. Hayter's interviews and humor are lighter and more self-deprecating which I also love.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:53 am 

ALBUM OF THE GODDAMN YEAR OH MY GOD

All the fanaticism and fascination we have with Christianity set to fitting music and performance. I'm still unpacking this but I'm blown away on every listen. She's a formidable artist. Goddamn!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:53 pm 

Yeah, this is spellbinding. I find it generally hard to find music unnerving these days, but holy fucking shit.

The last song on this motherfucker is so chilling.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:43 am 

Not really feeling this one. The music is pretty cool but the vocals make me think of a lesser Jarboe/Diamanda Galas, only much less interesting. The vocals almost sound unnatural, like she's trying too hard. I really can't stand the vocals, sounds like the only way she has to of projecting intensity into her music is by making that theatrical intonation and it gets old pretty quick.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:13 am 

Yeah, I was disappointed by it too. Seems a lot more one-note/less dynamic than Caligula.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:25 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Not really feeling this one. The music is pretty cool but the vocals make me think of a lesser Jarboe/Diamanda Galas, only much less interesting. The vocals almost sound unnatural, like she's trying too hard. I really can't stand the vocals, sounds like the only way she has to of projecting intensity into her music is by making that theatrical intonation and it gets old pretty quick.

Oh yeah I can see how it can be a bit much. But it is deliberate, that intonation. The theatricality of it, the repetition, the samples and general performance are all tailored to be discomforting. I think that's the aspect of it that makes me appreciate it. It all feels consequential.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:25 am 

Well, in fairness, Caligula is a complete career defining masterpiece, and in my opinion, one of the best experimental albums ever made.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:27 pm 

Never even heard of her before this, but trying the new album now and this is utterly insane stuff. Somehow she found a way to be subversive and audacious with anti-Christian types of themes again.

I like the sparseness of these arrangements, gives focus to the fatalistic, epic vocal work and lyricism.

Last edited by Empyreal on Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:20 pm 

I really love Caligula, but this one didn't grab me as much. Still more "evil" sounding than 95% of the world's black metal bands combined.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:45 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Not really feeling this one. The music is pretty cool but the vocals make me think of a lesser Jarboe/Diamanda Galas, only much less interesting.

Yeah, I discussed Galas earlier in the thread, and Jarboe is another apt comparison. Her stuff is all over the map for me, some is really intriguing (generally more when she's working with Swans), some doesn't resonate with my sensibilities at all. Lingua Ignota mostly leans towards the latter for my ears, though there are some portions I do enjoy. She's clearly talented and is really putting herself out there in a cathartic, therapeutic way, which I can respect on some level, but this mostly just isn't music for me. Anna von Hausswolff and Chelsea Wolfe are more my speed for depressing, unnerving music.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:33 pm 

I wouldn't put Lingua Ignota in the same category as Chelsea Wolfe or compare this new album to anything by Jarboe either. It's more reminiscent of Nico's The Marble Index except this is thematically denser.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:40 pm 

Yeah, they're in different categories, they're just the most similar things I can think of that I like. This sort of thing gets out of my wheelhouse.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:14 am 

I've sampled all three of her albums a tiny bit and felt the new one is vastly superb to the previous efforts. I'll probably buy all of them blind eventually but this is the one that got me excited.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:32 pm 

Playing Caligula now and I also like it, but I can't see what makes this any different from the newer one - they both seem really cathartic, passionate and individualistic.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:02 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Playing Caligula now and I also like it, but I can't see what makes this any different from the newer one - they both seem really cathartic, passionate and individualistic.

All Bitches Die was the most abrasive. These two are the hugely topical ones with specific themes emphasized. Sinner Get Ready has a bit more repetition and a patient dark spiritual mood that I find, asks more from the listener than Caligula which was immediately arresting. But what a flawless discography of haunting-ness.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:59 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

All Bitches Die was the most abrasive. These two are the hugely topical ones with specific themes emphasized. Sinner Get Ready has a bit more repetition and a patient dark spiritual mood that I find, asks more from the listener than Caligula which was immediately arresting. But what a flawless discography of haunting-ness.

Yeah I'll have to try that one. I just thought it odd that people were let down by this one but liked Caligula. But expectations can be a bitch.

"Sinner" is really something - it's musically tranquil and ritualistic and the extreme elements come almost solely from the vocals, which is interesting. The space in the music seems to create its own vibe and atmosphere. Subtle stuff.

Reply to topic