Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:16 pm 

American death/doom metallers Mortiferum will release their second full length, Preserved In Torment, on November 5 through Profound Lore Records. From the press release:

Quote:
On their sophomore album “Preserved In Torment” Olympia WA’s doomed death metal unit MORTIFERUM push their penchant for dark, depraved, and disgusting dirges even further out into the periphery. Picking up where they left off with their Profound Lore debut “Disgorged From Psychotic Depths” MORTIFERUM continue to mine the poisonous quagmire of classic American death metal, the warped visions of Finnish death metal, and the suffocating lurch of funeral doom for inspiration, but the resulting six tracks on “Preserved In Torment” operate on a larger scale, both in musical scope and in sheer crushing weight.

Recorded over the span of twelve days at Soundhouse in Seattle WA with Andrew Oswald at the engineering/mixing helm, “Preserved In Torment” finds MORTIFERUM expanding on the ominous atmospherics of their past work while simultaneously pushing and refining their work into even more vile and oppressive sonic territories where the listener is laid to waste with the band’s monolithic siege, with impossibly heavy riffs and relentless mid-tempo drum barrages creating the aural equivalent of being trampled beneath the hooves of some unstoppable army. MORTIFERUM don’t shy away from long-form songwriting on “Preserved In Torment” yet the band doesn’t waste a note in crafting their epic assaults.

Tracklisting:
1. Eternal Procession (06:49)
2. Incubus of Bloodstained Visions (07:51)
3. Seraphic Extinction (05:54)
4. Exhumed from Mortal Spheres (05:38)
5. Caudex of Flesh (06:29)
6. Mephitis of Disease (07:05)

Eternal Procession has been released as the first single:

Spoiler: show

These guys, along with Spectral Voice, are among the best new bands playing this style of dark old school death/doom. The first single is really good, it picks up right where Disgorged From Psychotic Depths left off. I'm sure this will be one of the best OSDM releases to come out this year if the rest of the album is up to the same quality.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:39 pm 

Absolutely awesome. Loved their demo, their full-length, their split with Hyperdontia, and now this new single kicks my ass. Doesn't seem like long ago at all when their debut dropped, but that's covid for you I guess. Can't wait.

Also a really sick live band if anyone gets the chance.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:15 am 

should be a banger!

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:37 pm 

Yeah it feels like just yesterday I was at the album release show for the debut but apparently it was two fucking years ago :o Definitely thought we'd be getting a new Spectral Voice record before more Mortiferum, but I'm very okay with this! One of the best death metal bands around right now.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:00 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Yeah it feels like just yesterday I was at the album release show for the debut but apparently it was two fucking years ago :o Definitely thought we'd be getting a new Spectral Voice record before more Mortiferum, but I'm very okay with this! One of the best death metal bands around right now.

I think we're going to have to wait a while before we get a new Spectral Voice release. Hopefully it happens next year, but the guys are busy working on a new Blood Incantation EP (which will be composed of ambient music, i.e. no death metal) which apparently will be longer than any of the full lengths they've released. But a new Mortiferum album is a more than welcome substitute this year.

jugchord07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:35 am 

This is gonna be good. I can feel it in me bone marrow

Review requests http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=74246

My blog http://foulfeast.blogspot.com

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:52 am 

The second single is out:

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:53 am 

Definitely looking forward to this one, their first album slayed and I have no doubt in my mind that their sophomore effort will too. One of the best bands in the death/doom subgenre of death metal right now.

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:33 pm 

I preordered this after they premiered the one track. Second song sounds great too, can't wait to get it.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:48 pm 

I'll be seeing them play an outdoor show on Saturday. At the last one they played the whole new album; cannot wait to experience this!

Reply to topic