Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:56 pm 

There's no official announcement, but the members have been posting about it on instagram for months, and they're currently in the studio recording it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CSkiSIQpbhe ... =copy_link

I think it's a bit of a weird move. Paul already has his own ambient side projects, and HHHR is arguably one of the most important death metal albums of the past decade. Following that with an experimental, non-metal album is a gamble. When WITTR tried it it basically killed their momentum for half a decade. I love ambient music, and with their talents I'm sure it will be solid, but doing a huge genre jump immediately after gaining worldwide acclaim feels like an odd choice.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:12 pm 

Not the first time a bands done something like this. 1349 Revelations of the Black Flame essentially had the same effect. It had a lot of metal still, but it was worlds away from their previous work. Didn't go over so well with the fanbase, but from what I can tell it was mostly due to a lack of meeting expectations (everyone wanted another 1349 album, not something as experimental as what they released).

Anyways, it's good they're at least setting expectations and not just advertising a new Blood Incantation album w/o any context.

Last edited by Unorthodox on Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:12 pm 

I get it, and I think it makes sense.
I'm not a huge fan of "Hidden History...", and it always seemed like the band were heading in that non-metal direction. I hope they manage to bring something new to the ambient genre, otherwise they'll end up like a sub-par version of Eno, Main, Biosphere or whoever. I think Blood Incantation are talented enough to avoid that trap.

Death metal is a pretty difficult genre to maintain over the long run, so I am all for bands leaving it behind when the mood takes them.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:16 pm 

robotiq wrote:
Death metal is a pretty difficult genre to maintain over the long run, so I am all for bands leaving it behind when the mood takes them.

No it's not, what?? There's still ways to be creative within death metal. And I don't want a Brian Eno album from Blood Incantation. I'm not one to usually pull the P word on artists but good god that sounds PRETENTIOUS as all hell.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:23 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
And I don't want a Brian Eno album from Blood Incantation.

Its not really about what 'you' (as a fan) want though is it? It is much more about them following their natural artistic intent.
If the band wants to go in that direction, then they obviously have reason to do so.

I can't think of many death metal bands whose later output I enjoy as much as their early output anyway. So yeah, by all means, let them leave death metal behind and see where it takes them.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:27 pm 

Oh, there's a lot. Cannibal Corpse, Dying Fetus, Gorguts. But I do agree that Blood Incantation should follow their creative instinct, even though it's going to take them into a completely different realm of music.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:31 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
There's no official announcement, but the members have been posting about it on instagram for months, and they're currently in the studio recording it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CSkiSIQpbhe ... =copy_link

I think it's a bit of a weird move. Paul already has his own ambient side projects, and HHHR is arguably one of the most important death metal albums of the past decade. Following that with an experimental, non-metal album is a gamble. When WITTR tried it it basically killed their momentum for half a decade. I love ambient music, and with their talents I'm sure it will be solid, but doing a huge genre jump immediately after gaining worldwide acclaim feels like an odd choice.

Yeah, Paul spilled the beans in the October issue of Decibel Magazine. To quote him:

Quote:
The ambient EP (which will be marketed as an EP, despite being longer than both previous full lengths) will contain two side-long pieces that we have been working on over the past year. The overall atmosphere is deep and cinematic, and would be particularly effective performed in a planetarium, cathedral, or outdoor amphitheater under the night sky. I think people who enjoy experimental electronic music, kosmische musik, new age, modern classical/chamber music or dark ambient will be quite pleased. I can assure you that the material is far from 'metal guys improvising with keyboards' as the songs have their own linear progressions and maps, with many changes and developments throughout. To be reductive, if you were to extract all of the atmospheric passages, acoustic songs and synthesizer intro/outros from our previous records and arrange them in the long-form pattern of our most epic songs, you'd be halfway there.

If you only enjoy our death metal for the death metal elements, you can still come see us on tour while you await the proper third album, which will be an even more extreme and brutal blend of raging death metal and dense prog fusion.

Paul and the rest of the guys have always been into the likes of Tangerine Dream so it's not a total surprise that they're trying their hand at an ambient release. Hopefully it turns out to be worthwhile. In any case, anyone who's worried about them abandoning death metal can rest assured that it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:59 pm 

I'm all for them getting out of the metal zone and experimenting with an ambient album. If it's along the lines with songs like Meticulous Soul Devourment or Inner Paths (to Outer Space), then I can see some potential in expanding the ideas of their past ambient tracks.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:07 pm 

I get the feeling this'll be one of those things where they try to reach out to ambient music fans but end up appealing to metal fans that just happen to like ambient music.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:02 pm 

Amazing band. I like getting thrown a curveball like this, so I'm interested to see how it turns out.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:05 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I get the feeling this'll be one of those things where they try to reach out to ambient music fans but end up appealing to metal fans that just happen to like ambient music.

Totally, just like with Ulver. There will also be those superfans who will buy it despite having no interest in that type of music. Some of their fanbase is absolutely rabid; I have a buddy that owns every variant of every project they're even tangentially related to. He didn't even listen to ambient music before and now owns all of Paul's ambient releases on tape. There are a lot of people like him, it's pretty wild.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:27 pm 

The post in the OP doesn't actually say it'll be an entirely ambient album and one of the pics even shows a guy playing guitar. Have they flat out said it's an ambient-only album or could they be experimenting with keys and an acoustic for the next (metal) Blood Incantation album?

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:53 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
The post in the OP doesn't actually say it'll be an entirely ambient album and one of the pics even shows a guy playing guitar. Have they flat out said it's an ambient-only album or could they be experimenting with keys and an acoustic for the next (metal) Blood Incantation album?

It's an ambient EP (although it's practically a full length since it's longer than their previous full lengths). See my previous post in this thread for the details courtesy of Paul Riedl himself. There may be acoustic guitar on it but by no means is it going to be a metal album.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:57 pm 

Given all the other projects Paul and the other members are a part of, I have to wonder why they want to release this under the Blood Incantation name. I'm sure it'll be cool, but Blood Incantation really is known nowadays as the premier contemporary death metal band, and I just can't see a gigantic portion of their fanbase being very interested in this.

ThanatosUK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:13 pm 

I'll check it out, but I can't help it's all because of the self-meme that they're all new-age and spacey.

I'll be fully on deck when they finish writing their next proper metal release.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:37 pm 

I don't really know this band, so I can't comment on them from a fan's perspective but... I would think that if a band were to do something like this, it MIGHT work if they did so in conjunction with a more "typical" release in their more traditional musical genre. That is, record this experimental album, but then sit on the recording and wait until they have a regular black/death (or whatever their style is) album recorded and ready to go, then release them both roughly at the same time, or at least, within a month or two of each other.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:16 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:

It's an ambient EP (although it's practically a full length since it's longer than their previous full lengths). See my previous post in this thread for the details courtesy of Paul Riedl himself. There may be acoustic guitar on it but by no means is it going to be a metal album.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. I'm pleased that it'll be an EP at least and not a full-length and that they're not going to fully abandon the death metal style.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:28 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
I'm not one to usually pull the P word on artists but good god that sounds PRETENTIOUS as all hell.

I thought you were gonna say poser lol

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:37 am 

Razakel wrote:
Given all the other projects Paul and the other members are a part of, I have to wonder why they want to release this under the Blood Incantation name. I'm sure it'll be cool, but Blood Incantation really is known nowadays as the premier contemporary death metal band, and I just can't see a gigantic portion of their fanbase being very interested in this.

I assume it's because the music is going to be somewhat similar to the non-metal, more spacey ambient parts of previous Blood Incantation records. In terms of exploring the themes and universe they built for themselves, it really does make sense from an artistic and stylistic point of view.

I guess that by marketing it as an EP, they are kind of going the Agalloch way. The LPs will be for their more metal releases, bringing all their influences together, and building up on the sound they already crafted for themselves, while the EPs will be used to explore specific influences and specific genres.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:57 am 

if you do too many drugs, your band will eventually become stoner, doom, ambient, stoner doom, or ambient stoner doom

I'll still check this out, but hopefully it's not just random droning and noodling around with keyboards and synths.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:16 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Razakel wrote:

I assume it's because the music is going to be somewhat similar to the non-metal, more spacey ambient parts of previous Blood Incantation records. In terms of exploring the themes and universe they built for themselves, it really does make sense from an artistic and stylistic point of view.

I guess that by marketing it as an EP, they are kind of going the Agalloch way. The LPs will be for their more metal releases, bringing all their influences together, and building up on the sound they already crafted for themselves, while the EPs will be used to explore specific influences and specific genres.

The cynical part of me is thinking it's just because they just know it will sell better under the BI name.

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:26 pm 

Far and away not even close to a rare thing for metal bands to do these days. although rarely is it done with aplomb and excellency. As a BI fan, I have hopes- faint ones, but hopes nevertheless.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:08 pm 

Honestly: they already had a lot of spacey ambient elements on their latest album, IIRC, so this isn't really that surprising of a shift. It's not like they were a slam band or anything doing this.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:11 pm 

They're such a new band still that it doesn't surprise me much they'd go in another direction - their sound wasn't rooted in stone or anything yet. If it's anything like the one somewhat ambient track from the last album I'd dig it.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:18 pm 

They should do it like Neurosis, and make the next album be a metal one, that syncs up with this one.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:45 am 

I think the lot of you who are talking about this being a weird genre shift for them are blowing this way out of proportion. Yes there are bands that make permanent shifts in style (e.g. Ulver and Opeth), but you do realize there's also a plethora of bands who do 1-off experiments and then go back to their usual routine, right?

I think this will be an interesting experiment. Curious to see how it goes.

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
They should do it like Neurosis, and make the next album be a metal one, that syncs up with this one.

That would be cool!

Ludorff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:41 pm 

Love that. Their metal albums are already a bit spacey, I'll be listening to that new EP.
I don't think it's pretentious. In a way, I think extreme metal and experimental or ambient electronic are two niche genres that go along pretty well.
Just like Darkthrone's Fenriz with the Neptune Towers project and other people from the Norwegian scene. They don't give a damn, they are just music nerds that play what they want.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:58 pm 

And for what its worth, anyone who enjoys Tangerine Dream is a person of culture.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:32 pm 

Ludorff wrote:
Just like Darkthrone's Fenriz with the Neptune Towers project and other people from the Norwegian scene. They don't give a damn, they are just music nerds that play what they want.

They clearly did give a damn, that's why that was released as a separate project with a different name.

Ludorff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:47 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
They clearly did give a damn, that's why that was released as a separate project with a different name.

Sure but at the same time, ambient synthesizers and space themes are already part of the Blood Incantation style.
But yeah, back in 93-94 it would have been crazy to have the Darkthrone logo on a synth album! Why not, they already had a big shift.
By not giving a damn, I mostly meant as musicians, no matter what is the name on the cover.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:23 am 

Amazon just posted the pre-order before any official announcements which seems like an accident. It's called Timewave Zero and it currently shows a February 22nd release date: https://www.amazon.com/Timewave-Zero-Bl ... 09M7CNS2W/

~Guest 1388265
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:27 am 

WITTR is the only good Blood Incantation album—it's a good thing they're trying for an ambient project because they'll never be able to top it.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:48 am 

Love the artwork. At the very least this will tide us over until the next proper death metal album. I'm still stoked to check out, I'm just not currently convinced a full-length ambient album's necessary, especially when they have so many side-projects. Would love to be blown away!

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:32 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Amazon just posted the pre-order before any official announcements which seems like an accident. It's called Timewave Zero and it currently shows a February 22nd release date: https://www.amazon.com/Timewave-Zero-Bl ... 09M7CNS2W/

The release date is February 25, not February 22 according to that listing which makes sense because it's a Friday and most big releases are out at the end of the week. Apparently the EP is 81 minutes long so it's longer than both of their albums combined.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:36 am 

If you look at the track listing, each song is shown twice. I’m pretty sure they said it’s a 40 minute EP. Considering this listing isn’t supposed to be up it’s possible not everything there is correct.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:46 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
If you look at the track listing, each song is shown twice. I’m pretty sure they said it’s a 40 minute EP. Considering this listing isn’t supposed to be up it’s possible not everything there is correct.

They could be including the CD version with the LP, so the tracks are shown twice for each version. I don't think they said anything about exactly how long it's supposed to be (at least I haven't found anything about the exact length), the only thing Paul indicated was that it was going to consist of two tracks, each of which was going to take up an entire side of the LP.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:05 pm 

If the pricing is correct, that means it's a single LP which is 44 minutes max. I think it's safe to assume this isn't an 80 minute EP.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:50 pm 

The artwork looks amazing, and I'm personnally interested in hearing some more space/sci-fi ambient material from Blood Incantation. But it feels weird to me that the guys who just released one of the most successful and solid death metal albums of the last decade didn't try to keep the momentum going by releasing something that could potentially top their previous two, which are by all intents and purposes, flawless records. Or at least complement them. In French we have an expression for this : "Battre le fer pendant qu'il est chaud". I think the same exists in English? Strike the iron while it's hot? Yeah. Well. I'll still listen to whatever Blood Incantation throws our way regardless, and I'll also be happy when they release their next death metal album. I'm hooked. I'm a fanboy. Give me more of these extraterrestrial sweets.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:53 pm 

I feel like metal bands always seem to make the best instrumental or ambient music, so I'll keep an eye out for this. I'll probably have familiarize myself with the band.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:12 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
The artwork looks amazing, and I'm personnally interested in hearing some more space/sci-fi ambient material from Blood Incantation. But it feels weird to me that the guys who just released one of the most successful and solid death metal albums of the last decade didn't try to keep the momentum going by releasing something that could potentially top their previous two, which are by all intents and purposes, flawless records. Or at least complement them. In French we have an expression for this : "Battre le fer pendant qu'il est chaud". I think the same exists in English? Strike the iron while it's hot? Yeah. Well. I'll still listen to whatever Blood Incantation throws our way regardless, and I'll also be happy when they release their next death metal album. I'm hooked. I'm a fanboy. Give me more of these extraterrestrial sweets.

This was my original take as well, but the more I think about it the more I realize 1) there's simply no way they're gonna top HHOTHR, and 2) pandemic started just a few months after that came out. They still have sooooo much touring they can do around that record so there's really no rush to put out another "regular" album. So this feels like a stopgap to do put out something, keep their new label happy, and not have to worry about another "big" release now that touring is a thing again and they're getting booked for all these festivals in the summer.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next