Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:40 am 

Oftentimes, you hear a lot of complaints about modern metal being overproduced, and sounding too glossy, soulless, or inorganic in stark contrast to metal albums of old, where a lot of bands didn't have much to work with, and thus, had a more raw sound to them. So I'd like to use this thread to highlight metal albums with high-fidelity production done well. My picks:

Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race

In Flames - Clayman

Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:22 am 

That Blood Incantation album sounds great indeed. Times of Grace by Neurosis also comes to mind.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:28 am 

One of Horrendous's selling points was the really dynamic production: Ecdysis in particular was really good!

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:31 am 

you'd have to provide a better definition of "done well"... is the black album "done well", or "overpolished"? how bout Opeth? or Jens Bogren's jobs?

I love "Clayman", but to me it hasn't aged that well. it sounded "perfect" when I got it, but now I hear the limitations in its sound/mix/master. it's datedly 90s.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:30 am 

The best thing about Metallica's black album is the production. It holds up until today and is the perfect mixture of clarity, grandness and "thump". Too bad the material is mediocre.

It's incredible how their following albums went from having passable to horrible production jobs in the following two-and-a-half decades.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:42 am 

Even has a huge unashamed metallica fanboy, it is astounding how often they've gotten the sonics wrong.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:55 am 

Pretty much every Devin Townsend album, but especially Empath

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:02 pm 

What's high-fidelity production?

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:04 pm 

The Black album. Self Titled. Still holds up after all this time going by.

Megadeth Rust In Peace. Kind of unique sounding with the drums. Solid all around.

Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance. 80s crystal production. Real clear.

Accept Balls to The Wall. See the Priest comment right above.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:28 pm 

The answer here is any album produced by Roy Z. Check out Bruce Dickinson's Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding albums, as well as Halford's Resurrection and Priest's Angel of Retribution.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:10 pm 

I remember hearing that car salesmen would play Queensryche's Empire to show off a car's stereo system. With how pristine that album's production is, I can certainly believe it.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:23 pm 

I forgot to mention Kevin Shirley's production on Brave New World. Not the ones after this though.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:47 pm 

Electric Wizard’s Dopethrone.
Real drums? Check.
Loud bass? Check.
Marshall amps, turned up, as the clean guitar tone, and everything up, all the way, on the fuzz 2 setting, on the Boss hyper fuzz, for mort of the album? Check.
Normal gauge strings, tuned down, to A#? Check.
If you don’t like it, then don’t entry.

A studio, in a forest, drugs allowed, the main songwriter ended up getting arrested for guns, in a country where gang members(and jihadists) usually don’t even have guns…if this doesn’t make you want to be a libertine, I don’t know what to tell you. You may have a brain, but you lack a heart or soul. This is what heavy music was intended for. Fuck you, mom.

Edit: Anything recorded, by Fenriz, at Necrohell. Some of you may say it’s not clear. But it is clear. It sounds like the practice amps would’ve sounded, if you were there in the room. Also, while Sunlight studios may have produced some all time great death metal, I agree with Fenriz, in disliking their drum sound(which Darkthrone had, on Soulside Journey). Fenriz’ production just has soul.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Last edited by Hexenmacht46290 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:58 pm 

Necrophobic's recent albums come to mind. Both Mark of the Necrogram and Dawn of the Damned are very well produced but not over polished to the point where they lose any sense of discernible grit.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:01 pm 

that Undeath album last year had a really clean production that still managed to carry a lot of grime with it.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:40 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Electric Wizard’s Dopethrone.
Real drums? Check.
Loud bass? Check.
Marshall amps, turned up, as the clean guitar tone, and everything up, all the way, on the fuzz 2 setting, on the Boss hyper fuzz, for mort of the album? Check.
Normal gauge strings, tuned down, to A#? Check.
If you don’t like it, then don’t entry.

A studio, in a forest, drugs allowed, the main songwriter ended up getting arrested for guns, in a country where gang members(and jihadists) usually don’t even have guns…if this doesn’t make you want to be a libertine, I don’t know what to tell you. You may have a brain, but you lack a heart or soul. This is what heavy music was intended for. Fuck you, mom.

Edit: Anything recorded, by Fenriz, at Necrohell. Some of you may say it’s not clear. But it is clear. It sounds like the practice amps would’ve sounded, if you were there in the room. Also, while Sunlight studios may have produced some all time great death metal, I agree with Fenriz, in disliking their drum sound(which Darkthrone had, on Soulside Journey). Fenriz’ production just has soul.

I really like Dopethrone but it honestly sounds like shit, one of the most brickwalled albums I've ever heard.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:29 pm 

Always thought that the production on Vircolac's Masque was outstanding. Really elevates the music for me.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:25 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I really like Dopethrone but it honestly sounds like shit, one of the most brickwalled albums I've ever heard.

Talk about missing the point...

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:35 pm 

aloof wrote:
you'd have to provide a better definition of "done well"... is the black album "done well", or "overpolished"? how bout Opeth? or Jens Bogren's jobs?

I love "Clayman", but to me it hasn't aged that well. it sounded "perfect" when I got it, but now I hear the limitations in its sound/mix/master. it's datedly 90s.

Admittedly, this is all pretty subjective. After all, even with a lot of albums that are considered to be overproduced... Well, the band probably approved of the production beforehand, so it probably sounded good to them.

Personally, I think Metallica's self-titled sounds great. And as someone who only first listened to Clayman last year, it also sounds excellent, in my book.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:26 am 

What about Shades of God, Icon, Draconian Times & One Second by Paradise Lost? They all sound perfectly even now!

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:36 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:

Brickwalled in this case is a good thing, a very good thing. Dopethrone is one the most beautiful sounding albums ever to abuse my ear drums.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:28 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Brickwalled in this case is a good thing, a very good thing. Dopethrone is one the most beautiful sounding albums ever to abuse my ear drums.

That's a complete different topic. Just don't call it "high fidelity" because it ain't.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:53 am 

Dopethrone is HIGH fidelity man.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:51 pm 

All of them. There is no excuse these days for bad production. If you have to fake your aesthetic by intentionally sounding like shit you're just admitting that you don't have the actual compositional skills to write something abrasive and rough.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:42 pm 

Vadara wrote:
All of them. There is no excuse these days for bad production. If you have to fake your aesthetic by intentionally sounding like shit you're just admitting that you don't have the actual compositional skills to write something abrasive and rough.

Lo-fi doesn't mean bad production...

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:23 pm 

Nile has done a good job on many (but not all) of their albums balancing the crystal clear production with skull crushing riffage and breakneck tempos. Speaking specifically Annihilation of the Wicked and Those Whom the Gods Detest here because, god damn, if those weren't absolute killers front to back.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:43 pm 

Nocturnal_Evil wrote:
Nile has done a good job on many (but not all) of their albums balancing the crystal clear production with skull crushing riffage and breakneck tempos. Speaking specifically Annihilation of the Wicked and Those Whom the Gods Detest here because, god damn, if those weren't absolute killers front to back.

I agree 100% with this. Nile is a good example, especially on Annhilation of the Wicked, of a modern death metal band whose production doesn't sound sterile and cold. It's heavy, crushing, metallic and thick, while retaining a raw quality to it, without ever being lo-fi.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:59 pm 

Vadara wrote:

lol ok we get it you don't like black metal, there's no need to plug it in every thread you appear on

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:47 am 

Would the Earache remasters count, or is this thread just about original versions?

The 2 Cerebral Rot full-lengths are fucking killer: the production matches the filthy atmosphere, I don't know how the fuck they did it.

Sweven's first release is some high quality stuff. Not too heavy for death metal but it's great music overall.

Morn Of Solace wrote:
One of Horrendous's selling points was the really dynamic production: Ecdysis in particular was really good!

Absolutely right on this one.

zeusreal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:20 am 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:

A studio, in a forest, drugs allowed, the main songwriter ended up getting arrested for guns, in a country where gang members(and jihadists) usually don’t even have guns….

1.Chuckalumba studios isnt in a forest.

2.No he didnt.

3. Theres gun crime pretty much every week in the uk, so thats also complete nonsense.

4.Grow up and stop making up stories.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:12 am 

Death's albums sound nice to my ears; into that, I stumbled upon Gruesome's Savage Land (Death tribute band, although that album sounds a lot like Pestilence's Testimony of the Ancient) and I quite enjoyed the sound of the album; cavernous yet updated and clear, minimalist yet expansive, crisp and tight yet primitive and ominous.
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:41 am 

also, Gorguts' Obscura I felt had an amazing production job

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:47 pm 

Oh, I just thought of another one. Two, actually. Analepsy and Vulvodynia have both always done a good job keeping their slams polished yet still barbaric as hell. In particular, I'm thinking of Atrocities From Beyond and Psychosadistic Design here.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:19 pm 

Death's Symbolic is one of the best sounding death metal albums, especially for its time. Everything is crystal clear yet heavy at the same time.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:52 pm 

Vadara wrote:

ummmmmmmmm what...?
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:16 pm 

Vadara wrote:

That's not how it works. That's like saying all films in black and white are inherently bad.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:05 am 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
Death's Symbolic is one of the best sounding death metal albums, especially for its time. Everything is crystal clear yet heavy at the same time.

Have you listened to the 2011 remaster of Human? Holy fuck it sounds AMAZING and I’m not a huge fan of remasters at all.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:40 am 

I'm always amazed at the hi-fi production on Monotheist. Seeing how many studios and engineers were involved in its making, we're lucky not to end up with a broth that's been tainted.

~Guest 220079
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:45 pm 

Thought this was an interesting comment from Newsted regarding the decision to go with Bob Rock:

Quote:
Whether 'Slippery When Wet' or Bon Jovi was my favorite band or not, the production was still really nice to listen to, and I knew the difference by then. [Motley Crue's] 'Dr. Feelgood' sounds fucking awesome, and Nikki's [Sixx] playing a Spector bass, and that's what it's supposed to fucking sound like.

Edit: and fully agree on the Monotheist production - sounds amazing. I guess it helped that they tweaked that album for several years.

eukocha
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:07 am 

Opeth-Pale Communion has some of my favorite production but I don't know if that really counts for "modern production" considering it uses a more retro acoustic approach. It sounds amazing though. Get yourself some high quality headphones and a quiet listening environment and give it a go.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next