Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:23 am 

Quote:
Those figures aren't that surprising. While Maiden still has a sizable fanbase among the younger generations they were never going to compete with Drake in the 18-30 demo and those are the people who stream the most. The older fans are more inclined to buy physical product and Maiden's fans on average are going to be much older than Drake's so the physical sales figures match up.

It would be interesting to know how this translates into money.

Spotify pays something like $0.004 per stream, so Drake's 70m streams made him just $280000, which sounds crazy low for one of the biggest musicians on the planet.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:24 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
Quote:
Those figures aren't that surprising. While Maiden still has a sizable fanbase among the younger generations they were never going to compete with Drake in the 18-30 demo and those are the people who stream the most. The older fans are more inclined to buy physical product and Maiden's fans on average are going to be much older than Drake's so the physical sales figures match up.

It would be interesting to know how this translates into money.

Spotify pays something like $0.004 per stream

That number seems high to me. You could probably add another 0 in there and this would be closer to the real figure.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:24 pm 

Death of the Celts > Hell On Earth

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:55 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Death of the Celts > Hell On Earth

The Parchment > Death Of the Celts

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:59 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
The Parchment > Death Of the Celts

I'm sorry but the dead Celts KILL. All other longish iterations are 2nd place :-P

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:05 pm 

It honestly seems like the longer a song is on this one, the better I like it.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:14 pm 

The guitar phrasing (Janick?) behind Bruce's vocals on the verses really gets on my nerves, on The Parchment, more so than in any other song or the background keys.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:24 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
The guitar phrasing (Janick?) behind Bruce's vocals on the verses really gets on my nerves, on The Parchment, more so than in any other song or the background keys.

It's funny because that's one of my favourite things about The Parchment. In fact, I find that sort of thing some of disjointed on Stratego, but on The Parchment, it works so well for me.

My ranking of the long songs: Hell on Earth = The Parchment > Lost in a Lost World > Death of the Celts

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:55 pm 

Death of the Celts
Hell On Earth
The Parchment
Lost In A Lost World

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:45 pm 

"Hell on Earth", albeit a tad too long once more, is one of my favourite newer Iron Maiden songs. That's the one I'm listening to the most these days.

Love Bruce's delivery here.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:15 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:

Yeah, that sounds janky as hell to me too. They surely could have tightened-up the end result somehow, because it sounds like an amateurish mess. All those Bruce-following-single/lead-notes sections sound off to me.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:35 am 

^
I don't mind it. It brings a "live" feel to it and I think that's what they were going for.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:29 pm 

Well, I can confirm that the album does hit kinda different when you play it at 1.25 speed. There are some songwriting issues regardless of the tempo but there are some that sound better with a little more spring in their step.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:30 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Death of the Celts
Hell On Earth
The Parchment
Lost In A Lost World

I'd rank as follows:

Hell On Earth
Lost In A Lost World
The Parchment
Death Of the Cults

Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:15 pm 

Being that Maiden does an album every 4 years and they sat 2 years on Senjutsu, do you think we get a new album 2 years from this release?

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:35 pm 

We'll get a new Metallica album before we get another Maiden record.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:14 pm 

I stopped caring about the newer stuff after Dance of Death. Nothing wrong with it, per se, but a lot of it is derivative of their own past work and way too damn long. Listened to the first four tracks of this and I like what I hear, but dammit my attention span is not your guinea pig. If even one of your songs exceeds 10 minutes, you're either a fucking genius or you need to self-edit that shit. Three in a row, right at the end? I don't care if they're all on the same level as Epitaph or Narcotic or Thorns of Crimson Death, THAT'S NOT GOOD PACING. Steve Harris, what the shit?
... stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:20 pm 

Gas_Snake wrote:
Listened to the first four tracks of this and I like what I hear, but dammit my attention span is not your guinea pig. If even one of your songs exceeds 10 minutes, you're either a fucking genius or you need to self-edit that shit. Three in a row, right at the end? I don't care if they're all on the same level as Epitaph or Narcotic or Thorns of Crimson Death, THAT'S NOT GOOD PACING. Steve Harris, what the shit?

Seems like a pretty reductive way to see art.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:53 pm 

Hehe :-D
The thought of Maiden fighting to reclaim our attention spans with lengthy tunes makes me feel some sort of way.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:00 pm 

Like it's bad pacing just because the songs are long and you haven't even listened to it yet? Just kinda silly to me.

Prattlehead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:13 pm 

I think the last two albums have really benefitted from being doubles. I can consume them better when I feel like there's two separate groups of songs per album.

With that said, with Senjutsu, disc one feels like a lot of trouble went into sequencing it and making it an album. Whereas disc two feels more like the songs could be in any order and it wouldn't really make a difference to the cohesion of it. And maybe sequencing is just harder when three of the four tunes are over 10 minutes.

Weirdly I think this is the first Iron Maiden set that could actually benefit from being longer. Having a four minute song in the middle of disc two would provide a breather from the three consecutive long Steve songs.

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:37 pm 

I adore this album, and don't mind the length at all. Look, it's more Maiden. There are no bad songs on the album -in fact, I think they're all great!- so if you like Maiden, how can that be a bad thing? One of their defining characteristics throughout the years, even in the ST/Killer days but especially ever since Bruce joined, has been the way their music fits the lyrical themes. It's not 'soundtrack' music, obviously, but the music almost always provides a fitting soundtrack that augments the lyrics and elevates the drama (and vice-versa). I can't think of a single band that does this better, especially not in this genre. Speaking of genre, there's been talk ever since AMOLAD (and perhaps much earlier) that Maiden has gone prog. I'd argue that they were showing their prog as early as Powerslave or Somewhere in Time, it's just always been their own brand of prog. Senjutsu, while perhaps not their best album (and who cares if it is or isn't?), is the culmination so far of that epic Iron Maiden prog narrative sound. Every song is notably different, and the pacing is smart and obviously deliberate. I love the double album format for the way it lets me enjoy it in two sittings, just like the old days when long movies had intermissions and you'd divide it up over two or three nights, watching one VHS a night, from intermission to intermission.

My favorite song...man, that's hard, but so far it's probably The Parchment. My favorite song off the first half changes with each listen, but man, Days of Future Past is a doozy, and Writing on the Wall and Senjutsu grow on me with each listen. I really enjoy reading about everyone's different favorite/least favorite songs --very few identical opinions, which might be the sign of a balanced and diverse album!
Good trades with: Satan_Laughs (x2), thrashbeast, jthompson (x2), Groanofthewind, Mantis44 (x2), Decry, Igor, Kelibat, Madcow, Vakshay, Mespheber, Lord_Domitian, orionmetalhead, J, mightypeniz, Jacobo123 etc...

Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:04 pm 

I think the weakest song is TWOTW. But I only say this because I over heard it too much. The first single for any band's album that I tend to hear before the album has hit has that effect on me. I know am wierd like that.

I honestly, after given it many listens to Senjutsu there is not a single filler song in it. I give TWOTW a 7/10 with the the rest of the tracks ranging from 7.5 to 9.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:53 am 

More Maiden is fine but really Harris should have kept to his self imposed rule when he started the band that 15 albums would be the limit. The new one is better than TBOS, possibly on a level with TFF, but it's nowhere near the level of AMOLAD.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:46 pm 

I'm really interested in how well it will hold up over time.

While I still think that it's quite an interesting listen, I've been shelving it because the new Smith/Kotzen debut is just a lot more fun to listen to. Having Smith and Kotzen sing together works a lot better than I thought. Awesome soloing too! It's barely metal but some of the finest hard rock I've heard in recent years.

Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:40 pm 

I need to track down the S/K album. What I heard on YT was excellent.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:54 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
I need to track down the S/K album. What I heard on YT was excellent.

It's a fantastic record, to be sure.
They're a great tandem.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:48 pm 

Smith Kotzen (if read in Deutsch) is exactly what new Maiden album sounds like to me

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:33 pm 

God, Senjutsu is terminally dull. It's just...so...slow...

I feel like I'm winded throughout this whole thing. Like both the album and I just ran a marathon before hitting Play. It's so tired and devoid of energy that, for a moment there at the start of the second disk, I had to shake off the urge to fall asleep. The last two tracks are a bit of an improvement, but even they remain aggravatingly slow and dreary. This is precisely the kind of music you put in the background of a TV show where the main character is exhausted beyond all reason and you want the audience to feel the same way, to relate to them.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:45 pm 

Lot's of mixed opinions but I like this record and am thankful for it. It's Maiden, always trying some new things but bringing their classic melodies into the songs too. Only complaint, so far, is Bruce not being higher in the mix and the annoying single note guitar phrasing on so many of the songs. Just unplug Janick until he gets a solo.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:50 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Smith Kotzen (if read in Deutsch) is exactly what new Maiden album sounds like to me

I've been waiting for that pun for a while now...

Adder's Fork - Website

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:35 am 

Watched a little Youtube documentary on 90s Maiden yesterday. These Blaze Bayley quotes stuck out to me:

Quote:
We were in the studio and we rehearsed the first song and we couldn't even get through it once without messing it up. And they all just said "Okay, shall we go for a take then?" I said, "Don't you think we should get through to the end without stopping?" "Oh no, just get the tape rolling."

Steve Harris is an unusual person in the way that he writes. He brought in "Sign of the Cross" and no one could understand it. It took us all day just to grasp what the different parts of the song were. Nobody could play it!

Crossbones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:36 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Watched a little Youtube documentary on 90s Maiden yesterday. These Blaze Bayley quotes stuck out to me:

Quote:
We were in the studio and we rehearsed the first song and we couldn't even get through it once without messing it up. And they all just said "Okay, shall we go for a take then?" I said, "Don't you think we should get through to the end without stopping?" "Oh no, just get the tape rolling."

Steve Harris is an unusual person in the way that he writes. He brought in "Sign of the Cross" and no one could understand it. It took us all day just to grasp what the different parts of the song were. Nobody could play it!

I feel bad for Blaze. Although I don't think he had the right voice for Iron Maiden, it's clear through reading a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff that once they got him, they (read: Steve Harris) didn't do a lot to accommodate him. Sadly, he became a scapegoat for Maiden's 'dark age' of the 90s.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:47 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
God, Senjutsu is terminally dull. It's just...so...slow...

This, quite literally. Listen to Stratego at 1.25 speed and it sounds like, well, Iron Maiden. Very uncanny. I get that they are old, and good for them that they are still going, but I have no reason to listen to this.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:08 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

Quote:

I'll have to give it a watch - I was never clear on what was going on with the band back then, as it was before my time really. But that second part about how Harris writes is just one of those fun things I enjoy hearing about a band's process. Quirky in a way.

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:36 pm 

I don't get all these 95-99% reviews of this album on here, does anyone else not understand it? I would prefer 9 three-minute songs and one epic, like on NPFD.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:41 pm 

collingwood77 wrote:
I don't get all these 95-99% reviews of this album on here, does anyone else not understand it? I would prefer 9 three-minute songs and one epic, like on NPFD.

A lot of people just don't want that. NPFtD is one of their worst albums in my estimation.

I've always contended that, unless they really did something unexpected, a shorter, more conventional album would just come off like a slightly less good version of their classics. I prefer how they do it now where they're just sorta doing whatever they want.

Last edited by Empyreal on Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:45 pm 

collingwood77 wrote:

Frankly, what they're writing these past ~20 years is quite unique and simply very interesting, IMO. And no band sounds like Maiden, especially not this era of the band.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:34 pm 

collingwood77 wrote:

Totally agree, it's a head scratcher. I'd take NPFTD any day over anything since 92.
Benedict Donald wrote:
And no band sounds like Maiden, especially not this era of the band.

Who the hell would want to?

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:45 am 

Maiden is a different band to their 80s classic period, but they're still great. You just can't expect speed and punchiness from them anymore.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next