* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:03 am 

aloof wrote:
these are all correct, except for Threshold, Zero Hour and "not the party type". you got the genre right, but "before it breaks completely" are from the same continent as 5 & 6, not 1-2-3 :)

"time not displayed on the clock" is not a prog band. and I was gonna say that "Zero hour" does get displayed on the LED clock, but the one I mean doesn't, but sometimes it does, depending on the settings. thats a big clue :D

"Recluse" is the correct meaning for "not the party type", now you need to think of a much better known band whose name means "recluse" :)

Then I'll have to think again. Back to the rabbit hole – or maybe someone else has an idea.

aloof wrote:
duh. dude. do you read LotR like monthly? :D

1. Mordor?

2. Mount Doom?

4. Orodruin?

9. Elf?

Last time I read it was 20 years ago.

1 could be more specific. The ground beneath the Hobbit feet in Mordor.
2 is close but is there a metal band with that name? Hint: it's just "Mount Doom" in Elvish. :wink:
4 and 9 are :nods: and :nods:

aloof wrote:
I know all these bands, but i would never have thought of them. if I compiled a top ten of legendary english punks, sid vicious would not even make the top 30 :/ maybe as an also-ran :D

"Legendary" not in terms of quality, more in the sense of "widely known", a kind of "household name". I mean even people who don't listen to rock music at all might know his name because the Pistols are featured in most documentaries about punk or youth subcultures or 70s music etc. etc.

aloof wrote:
I 've lived in the uk, there's no way "Ahmet" and "Armored" sound the same anywhere. maybe if a geordie with a speech impediment was comin out of the dentist, and even that's a maybe... :D

Not exactly "the same". I used the words "a bit like" and "almost" to point in the right direction. You cannot really measure pronunciation like you can measure the length of a drum stick, pronunciation can vary from region to region and even from person to person, especially if the word in question isn't even English, but take, for example, these sources:

"/ˈɑːmɛt ˈɛərtəɡən/"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmet_Ertegun
"/ˈɑː.məd/"
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... sh/armored

Does the similarity qualify as an "almost"? :wink:

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:20 am 

Coastliner wrote:
Even more riddles:

01 Gorthaur's rugged plateau

02 where the Ring was forged

01 = Gorgoroth

02 = Amon Amarth

aloof wrote:
off-colour deity

time not displayed on the clock

not the party type

Pale Divine

Hour of Thirteen

Lonewolf

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:33 am 

mirons wrote:
Coastliner wrote:
Even more riddles:

01 Gorthaur's rugged plateau

02 where the Ring was forged

01 = Gorgoroth

02 = Amon Amarth

:nods: and :nods:

Edit: I think I should formulate No. 6 more precisely because many people associate the word "nemesis" with a person, but I'm not looking for a person, it's more abstract (progmetallically abstract, hint, hint :wink: ). So the new No. 6 ("... I am not a number! I am a free man...!" - "Hahahaha.") is:

06 Isildur's nemesis / curse

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:13 am 

Coastliner wrote:

Edit: I think I should formulate No. 6 more precisely because many people associate the word "nemesis" with a person, but I'm not looking for a person, it's more abstract (progmetallically abstract, hint, hint :wink: ). So the new No. 6 ("... I am not a number! I am a free man...!" - "Hahahaha.") is:

Hmm, that would be The Ring itself, but I'm struggling to come up with a relevant band name.

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:42 am 

mirons wrote:
Coastliner wrote:

Hmm, that would be The Ring itself, but I'm struggling to come up with a relevant band name.

Yes, that would be the Ring itself, and in the novel this, well, aspect or concept has a specific name. If you then ask yourself who Isildur was socially (at least for a time) you have two words that you just have to put together into one word. That's the band. :)

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:09 pm 

mirons wrote:
aloof wrote:
off-colour deity

time not displayed on the clock

not the party type

Pale Divine

Hour of Thirteen

Lonewolf

first two correct, lone wolf nada. it works tho :)

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:03 pm 

DecemberSoul wrote:
A river in England whose one patch makes it allegedly the most dangerous flowing body of water in the world.

Spoiler: show
I hope it's okay if I say thank you very much for this post (and many thanks for posting information and sharing your listening experience here on MA forum in general). I've been checking out bands from this thread and just wanted to find some information about this band because of the interesting and nature-related description of the band name (I've read about the band and about the names, and this band has such a sad history). I'm almost unfamiliar with depressive black metal (and I'm not very familiar with metal from Norway) so I haven't heard of Strid before, unfortunately. I've found the self-titled EP on Bandcamp and I can't stop listening to it: the music has such an amazing atmosphere - it's very sad and depressing but strangely soothing at the same time (and I can only imagine how it sounds when to listen to it on vinyl); the guitar, bass and drum playing are very interesting, and I love the vocals.
And I've listened to the song "End of Life" and I also like it a lot - the music and the vocals are very impressive and emotional.
Thanks a lot! (And I am sorry if I said something wrong).

*I apologize for the offtopic*

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:13 pm 

aloof wrote:
not the cerys matthews band

I have to say that this is such a strange and indirect way to describe the name of this band (which was the point I guess, and it's ok).
Katatonia is also one of my all-time favorite bands, but there was no chance for me to recognize the name from the description without googling it, - I have never heard of that non-metal band from Wales before.

I've always liked the name itself (how it looks and sounds), but it refers to such a depressing+anxious meaning so that's the reason I didn't post about Katatonia's name here.
But I've always thought that it's a good name for this band.
It's one of those cases when there were many changes in genres/styles of a band's music/vocals/etc., and where a band name fits relatively well with all the genres/styles of albums from a band's discography.
Plus you can also agree with Jonas Renkse that the name Katatonia is definitely better for this band than the name Decomposed:
Quote:
It’s a name that we took back in ’91. I think it’s still suitable, it’s a pretty good name. It’s better than we called something much more death metal like…I think we were calling ourselves Decomposed before Katatonia. I’m pretty glad we changed it

Last edited by sjal on Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lissart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:50 pm 

An experienced band named after a classic 17th-century poem.

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:28 pm 

Lissart wrote:

Well, for example Paradise Lost, but there are probably some more candidates...

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:25 am 

Treacherous Man of the Cloth.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:14 am 

the original viking metal band.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:45 am 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
Treacherous Man of the Cloth.

Judas Priest was described in very similar way a couple pages earlier ;)

Lissart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:49 am 

Coastliner wrote:
Lissart wrote:

Good! What other bands can you possibly think of that meet the requirement of being "experienced"?

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:38 am 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:

I'd say Bathory (but those who file Led Zeppelin under metal would probably say, er, Led Zeppelin).

Lissart wrote:
Coastliner wrote:
Lissart wrote:

Good! What other bands can you possibly think of that meet the requirement of being "experienced"?

*think* Might take some time. Others are probably faster. (Isn't there a "metal bands inspired by literature" list / cheatsheet somewhere!? :-D )

aloof wrote:
not the party type

Isole!

Phew, that took some doing. A couple of years ago I listened to "Silent Ruins" but, sadly, didn't really like it and forgot about the band. But if that still isn't the correct answer, please don't say it's Hermit the Fog! :crash:

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:42 am 

it's a significantly better known band than Isole! at some point they were hyped as "next big thing" but they went goth for their last full-length and imploded before really making it big... typical metal lore :/

sjal wrote:
aloof wrote:

I have to say that this is such a strange and indirect way to describe the name of this band (which was the point I guess, and it's ok).
Katatonia is also one of my all-time favorite bands, but there was no chance for me to recognize the name from the description without googling it, - I have never heard of that non-metal band from Wales before.

I've always liked the name itself (how it looks and sounds), but it refers to such a depressing+anxious meaning so that's the reason I didn't post about Katatonia's name here.
It's one of those cases when there were many changes in genres/styles of a band's music/vocals/etc., and where a band name fits relatively well with all the genres/styles of albums from a band's discography.
Plus you can also agree with Jonas Renkse that the name Katatonia is definitely better for this band than the name Decomposed:
Quote:
It’s a name that we took back in ’91. I think it’s still suitable, it’s a pretty good name. It’s better than we called something much more death metal like…I think we were calling ourselves Decomposed before Katatonia. I’m pretty glad we changed it

it's based on a true story actually... I once got a surprising amount of interest from girlfriends when I mentioned in passing that next weekend I'm going to see C/Katatonia (at ULU, London, Viva tour, for anyone who wants to know), and for a moment I pictured those very mainstream english girls dancing to "Murder" or "I break", then I worked out the misunderstanding and actually said those words... "not the cerys matthews band!"... they made me play the other Katatonia for them :D

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:54 am 

aloof wrote:
it's a significantly better known band than Isole! at some point they were hyped as "next big thing" but they went goth for their last full-length and imploded before really making it big... typical metal lore :/

In Solitude! (Oh, and I liked "Sister", a bit more original than what had come before. :violin: )

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:08 am 

finally! :D

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:15 am 

Ok let me put some riddles for y' all :

1. A gruesome murder that took place in the USA and remains unsolved to this day.

2. The flesh of the son of God decaying

3. The band plays some kind of good thrash metal unless their singer chooses to be a whiny little bitch which happens way too often

4. One man black metal project that revolves a lot around Game of Thrones. The country of origin does not have anything common with GOT universe.

5. The name of this band was totally not taken by an English band's song. The band was totally not influenced by said English band.

Those are not my favorite bands and I guess since everybody has started spitting riddles for all kinds of projects there is no point in including my only favorite band (which is number 5 btw).

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:32 am 

1. the black dahlia murder

2. sakis tolis, his brother and anyone else

3. dave mustaine and the tin foil hatters

5. is way too vague... since you're greek, I'll say Running Wild :p

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:42 am 

aloof wrote:
1. the black dahlia murder

2. sakis tolis, his brother and anyone else

3. dave mustaine and the tin foil hatters

5. is way too vague... since you're greek, I'll say Running Wild :p

1. Correct!

2. Yay also correct!

3. Nope. I will give you a hint : the band released its worse album in 2018

5. Nope.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:52 am 

PETERG wrote:
5. The name of this band was totally not taken by an English band's song. The band was totally not influenced by said English band.

Bathory.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:12 am 

1) A band that has produced some of the greatest heavy metal tracks ever, but now is just a shadow of its former self. To think of how great the band could have remained stings like a venomous jellyfish.

2) A younger band that has conquered main stages and headliner spots with military tactics. As with war itself, they have fervent proponents and opponents.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:33 am 

Lord_Lexy wrote:
1) A band that has produced some of the greatest heavy metal tracks ever, but now is just a shadow of its former self. To think of how great the band could have remained stings like a venomous jellyfish.

2) A younger band that has conquered main stages and headliner spots with military tactics. As with war itself, they have fervent proponents and opponents.

1) Manowar (nice deep cut jellyfish reference there).

2) Sabaton

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:19 am 

Metallic Shock wrote:
Lord_Lexy wrote:

1) Manowar (nice deep cut jellyfish reference there).

2) Sabaton

Yup!

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:58 am 

Coastliner wrote:
PETERG wrote:

Bathory.

Yep you got it! As much as I worship Bathory they were totally influenced by Venom; shame Quorthon decided to be such a foolish liar... :violin:

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:08 am 

PETERG wrote:
Coastliner wrote:
PETERG wrote:

Bathory.

Yep you got it! As much as I worship Bathory they were totally influenced by Venom; shame Quorthon decided to be such a foolish liar... :violin:

I honestly don't know whether he was influenced or whether there were just a couple of coincidences. I just remember the discussion and that Quorthon said he got the name from his visit to the London Dungeon (https://64.media.tumblr.com/4acf4237a90e853ca7412e9b6b44e838/f372b741e05616f4-4a/s1280x1920/0b2945000a9085e52dfc77b5fa87885f6bbf7550.jpg) etc. etc. Don't know if it's true. But when you said "totally", it just "totally" had to be Bathory as nobody seemed to believe him. :-D Great musician though, even his solo album "Purity of Essence" wasn't bad at all. Reminded me of Oasis and similar Britpop / alt. rock bands.

Lissart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:45 pm 

1. One of the bodily fluids + another word for a spell.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:04 pm 

aloof wrote:
sjal wrote:
aloof wrote:

Quote:

it's based on a true story actually... I once got a surprising amount of interest from girlfriends when I mentioned in passing that next weekend I'm going to see C/Katatonia (at ULU, London, Viva tour, for anyone who wants to know), and for a moment I pictured those very mainstream english girls dancing to "Murder" or "I break", then I worked out the misunderstanding and actually said those words... "not the cerys matthews band!"... they made me play the other Katatonia for them :D

Ok, this is understandable - there was a chance to recognize the band from the description for people who heard about Catatonia in a situation that was similar to yours (and especially for people who live(d) in UK) / or for people who just heard about Catatonia and Cerys Matthews in general. :)

Actually, there is this piece of information at the top of Katatonia's page on Wikipedia:
Not to be confused with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catatonia_(band), a Welsh rock band.
(this is from the page in English, but the presence of it depends on a language (just like an (amount of) information about something/someone on Wikipedia in general - obviously, it varies/can be quite different) - for example, there is no any Catatonia-related note on the Katatonia's page in Swedish language at all - https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katatonia, but there is a note about the neuropsychiatric behavioral syndrome, - "katatoni" in Swedish)
- so there was also a little probability that some listeners/fans of Katatonia on MA who came to read information about the band on Wikipedia (in English/or in some other language in which there is a note about Catatonia on Katatonia's page) not only just saw the name Catatonia but also clicked on the link, read information on Catatonia's page and remembered the name of the singer... well, this way is definitely too indirect.

I apologize for being boring in this thread - it's just because this is a thread where people post(ed) descriptions of their favorite bands (and it's quite interesting to see how a fan of a band describes a meaning of a band name/or posts some interesting facts from the history of a band/some characteristics of the genres/styles of a band's music, etc. / or even some personal experience/story that is related to a band, plus you can also get familiar with some bands/projects that you have not heard of before - to me, it's a bit like this thread about favorite album(s) - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68419 where you should not only post a name/a list of (an) album(s) but also give some description/information/personal opinion about your favorite album), and Katatonia is one of my all-time favorites (I'm one of those fans who like both 'old and new' Katatonia - the first full-length album is one of my absolute favorite metal albums - I love the beautiful and very sad music and lyrics, and, as a fan of harsh vocals on metal albums, I can say that this album has one of the most impressive and emotional vocal performances I have ever heard, + and it's an influential metal album in general; and I also like most of their later "boderline metal/non-metal" albums - the music is interesting for me and I like Jonas Renkse's clean singing), and now I feel bad that I decided to not post about this band here - after all, there were other ways to describe this band (that are directly related to the history/discography of the band but are not related to their very depressing name - for example, I was able to write and should have mentioned about the birds/winged symbolism from their artwork) - but no, I decided to post about a Katatonia-inspired/clone band Aphotic instead - they have an interesting and atmospheric nature-related name, and I enjoy their mid-tempo guitar and drum playing, and I also like the sound of atmospheric (and quite dynamic) keyboards, plus the vocals are also ok to me (the only thing about their songs that I really dislike is their disturbing lyrics: the style of the music is quite accessible, and it would be much better if the lyrics also were non-aggressive/non-hateful and less awful/low quality in general), but this band definitely isn't nearly as good as Katatonia. *shame, and it's a good lesson for the future*

OK, here is a description of a band name that can be easily recognized if you are a fan/know of this band and read about their name (this is a very well-known band), but it can also be recognized/googled from the description of the novel's name if you do not recognize the name of the band from the first description:

The name of an ancient fictional city from a ''historical fiction'' novel* (and a clue that is not (directly) related to the novel - there was also an ancient religious-related festival with the same name by the way - it's from archaeological sources)+ the eighth letter of the English alphabet.
*a description of the name of the novel:
it's the name of a group of living organisms (in the singular form) that belong to the family most of whose members have long, thin (and usually downward-curved) bills and (mostly) use flowers as a source of food

Last edited by sjal on Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:05 pm 

Lissart wrote:
1. One of the bodily fluids + another word for a spell.

Blood Incantation

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:45 pm 

This band is named after a heavenly figure who turned vile

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:44 pm 

sjal wrote:
The name of an ancient fictional city from a ''historical fiction'' novel* (and a clue that is not (directly) related to the novel - there was also an ancient religious-related festival with the same name by the way - it's from archaeological sources)+ the eighth letter of the English alphabet.
*a description of the name of the novel:
it's the name of a group of living organisms (in the singular form) that belong to the family most of whose members have long, thin (and usually downward-curved) bills and (mostly) use flowers as a source of food

Opeth? Lothlorien? Durham?

Slater922 wrote:

Lucifer? Melkor? Christkiller?

sjal wrote:
(an impressive diatribe on The Complications and Perils of using Katatonia in the name game:)

Ok, this is understandable - there was a chance to recognize the band from the description for people who heard about Catatonia in a situation that was similar to yours (and especially for people who live(d) in UK) / or for people who just heard about Catatonia and Cerys Matthews in general. :)

Actually, there is this piece of information at the top of Katatonia's page on Wikipedia:
Not to be confused with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catatonia_(band), a Welsh rock band.
(this is from the page in English, but the presence of it depends on a language (just like an (amount of) information about something/someone on Wikipedia in general - obviously, it varies/can be quite different) - for example, there is no any Catatonia-related note on the Katatonia's page in Swedish language at all - https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katatonia, but there is a note about the neuropsychiatric behavioral syndrome, - "katatoni" in Swedish)
- so there was also a little probability that some listeners/fans of Katatonia on MA who came to read information about the band on Wikipedia (in English/or in some other language in which there is a note about Catatonia on Katatonia's page) not only just saw the name Catatonia but also clicked on the link, read information on Catatonia's page and remembered the name of the singer... well, this way is definitely too indirect.

I apologize for being boring in this thread - it's just because this is a thread where people post(ed) descriptions of their favorite bands (and it's quite interesting to see how a fan of a band describes a meaning of a band name/or posts some interesting facts from the history of a band/some characteristics of the genres/styles of a band's music, etc. / or even some personal experience/story that is related to a band, plus you can also get familiar with some bands/projects that you have not heard of before - to me, it's a bit like this thread about favorite album(s) - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68419 where you should not only post a name/a list of (an) album(s) but also give some description/information/personal opinion about your favorite album), and Katatonia is one of my all-time favorites (I'm one of those fans who like both 'old and new' Katatonia - the first full-length album is one of my absolute favorite metal albums - I love the beautiful and very sad music and lyrics, and, as a fan of harsh vocals on metal albums, I can say that this album has one of the most impressive and emotional vocal performances I have ever heard, + and it's an influential metal album in general; and I also like most of their later "boderline metal/non-metal" albums - the music is interesting for me and I like Jonas Renkse's clean singing), and now I feel bad that I decided to not post about this band here - after all, there were other ways to describe this band (that are directly related to the history/discography of the band but are not related to their very depressing name - for example, I was able to write and should have mentioned about the birds/winged symbolism from their artwork) - but no, I decided to post about a Katatonia-inspired/clone band Aphotic instead - they have an interesting and atmospheric nature-related name, and I enjoy their mid-tempo guitar and drum playing, and I also like the sound of atmospheric (and quite dynamic) keyboards, plus the vocals are also ok to me (the only thing about their songs that I really dislike is their disturbing lyrics: the style of the music is quite accessible, and it would be much better if the lyrics also were non-aggressive/non-hateful and less awful/low quality in general), but this band definitely isn't nearly as good as Katatonia. *shame, and it's a good lesson for the future*

you shouldn't worry too much, or apologize. I thoroughly enjoyed reading that :)

there's also no reason not to re-use a band name in this game. Maiden and Priest got a few entries already... though I have to say if you used the birds, I would have thought of Insomnium or Deadsoul Tribe :)

///

new riddles:

1. now hear me out. there's this dude who is the mainman in a band and he got the job of playing in that other band. what's interesting is, the two bands' names overlap. so, one band is named "haha blablablah", and the other is named "muhaha".

which bands are they?

2. former mental hospital patient takes new role as Fred Astaire

3. not the whole Horde

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:23 pm 

aloof wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

Lucifer? Melkor? Christkiller?

None of these are correct. Another hint: There are two words in this band's name: One is from a figure in heaven, and another is part of a name of one of the biggest death metal bands in history.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:43 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
None of these are correct. Another hint: There are two words in this band's name: One is from a figure in heaven

angel?

Slater922 wrote:
and another is part of a name of one of the biggest death metal bands in history.

angel from morbid angel?

so... angel angel? :D

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:47 pm 

aloof wrote:
Slater922 wrote:
None of these are correct. Another hint: There are two words in this band's name: One is from a figure in heaven

angel?

Slater922 wrote:
and another is part of a name of one of the biggest death metal bands in history.

angel from morbid angel?

so... angel angel? :D

You got the first part right, but not the second one.

The second word starts with the letter C.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:06 pm 

angelceltic? angelcannibal? no, angelcorpse! :D

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:28 am 

aloof wrote:
2. former mental hospital patient takes new role as Fred Astaire

I would have said Psychotic Waltz… but it doesn't fit grammatically. :fuck:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appendix:

Below's a bouquet of still unanswered older riddles. I think we need clues or hints or [holes in the smoke screen]. :???: Thanks in advance. :beer:

aloof wrote:
follows shipwrecks and does not allow dishonour

extremish gardening with fast dude

fellowship of cheap beers

aloof wrote:
here's another image riddle... super easy if you're a fan

hess104 wrote:
automobile accident involving handicapped people

aloof wrote:
1. one of the greek gods' choice of footwear

2. jack the ripper had one, but it wasn't made there

aloof wrote:
raumr wrote:
Has Latin choirs in every goddamn song.

therion? fleshgod apocalypse? van canto?

Lissart wrote:
Coastliner wrote:
Lissart wrote:

Coastliner wrote:
Face_your_fear_79 wrote:

I'd say Bathory (but those who file Led Zeppelin under metal would probably say, er, Led Zeppelin).

PETERG wrote:
3. The band plays some kind of good thrash metal unless their singer chooses to be a whiny little bitch which happens way too often

4. One man black metal project that revolves a lot around Game of Thrones. The country of origin does not have anything common with GOT universe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here's the keys to Minas Tirith:

03 Eriador's full of [ancient debris]
* Clue: The name of this young and still obscure band has roughly the same meaning as the architectural remnants in brackets. If you've never heard of the band, the most obvious guess is correct. Genre: heavy/post-black metal (according to Metal Archives).

05 the corsair's copy
* Clue: The answer's in front of your prows if you go to "Metal Discussion" and scroll down / up. It's being hotly debated at the moment. Genre: heavy/power/speed metal (according to Metal Archives).

* Clue:
1) Who was Isildur on the social plane? = first part of the band name.
2) The term Tolkien uses instead of "nemesis / curse" = second part of the band name.
It's old (but not pioneering) progressive metal.

07 instrumentalised a horse
* Clue (without the cryptic pun above): A band that wrote an instrumental track about a horse in "The Lord of the Rings". Genre: power/progressive metal (according to Metal Archives).

08 wrote a song about Elrond's council's season's (Bal-)rog
* Clue: If you know the season and the meaning of "rog" in English, you have the song title. If you have the song title, it's easy to guess the band because both the song and the band are anything but obscure (and, btw., not Tolkien-related at all). If you don't know the meaning of "rog", here's another clue: Abaddon, Incubus, Pazuzu etc. Genre: progressive death metal (according to Metal Archives).

10 A band with ties to Lucas and Tolkien: one of their former members is a Lucas character's brother, and they unintentionally named a song after the king-to-be's love interest in '78.
* C(ryptic)lue: They covered Pete Pleasant, the bass player lives directly above Frodo's alias in Bree, and a song on the debut album is about the season when Gandalf tries to remember the right path through Moria by resorting to a mind-altering drug. ( :-P )
* Bonus clue:
The band name is not Medieval Torture Device. :wink:

Genre: heavy metal.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:33 am 

05 the corsair's copy - Blazon Stone?

06 Isildur's nemesis / curse - Kingsbane? Never heard of them before, though.

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:10 am 

mirons wrote:
05 the corsair's copy - Blazon Stone?

06 Isildur's nemesis / curse - Kingsbane? Never heard of them before, though.

:nods: and :nods: Indeed!

Kingsbane were one of those bands that recorded a demo in the early 90s and disappeared but in 2010 they got rave reviews for the re-released and remastered demo material.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Kingsbane/5902

In the 90s they re-recorded some of their demos as 'In the Name' with a better production and performance. I would describe them as a cross between Fates Warning and Psychotic Waltz and their best moments as on a par with the originals.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/In_the_Name/3713#band_tab_discography

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:11 am 

aloof wrote:
angelceltic? angelcannibal? no, angelcorpse! :D

Correct! :thumbsup:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next