Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:50 am 

GOOFAM wrote:
Well, it says "I am not a part of the band" directly, so you'd have to think post-split, yeah?

Makes sense. And you really need to be delusional to acuse her of being narcissistic when Proscriptor is ten times worse.

zeusreal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:57 am 

Its from after he was removed from the band.

Theres none of his music on the new record.

This is exactly what Proscriptor was trying to avoid, when removing Matt from the band. This whole "LOOK AT ME! IM SPECIAL!" bullshit, id imagine every Absu interview would end up being less about the music and more about having a guitarist who wears womens clothes. Absu has its own world, that world isnt about millennial woke culture, its a escape from such nonsense.

Strange that the rest of the band quietly got on with sorting out the album, while the ex-member is still complaining to such high quality news outlets as "Metalsucks" who probably couldnt care less, they just want the $$$ generating outrage clicks.

Also i find it hilarious that people 'need more proof', yet are happy to condemn Proscriptor via half a text message conversation and selected highlights of emails.

I believe its known as 'Hearsay'.

But please, carry on....

Last edited by hakarl on Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Naw, fuck that. This this transphobic shambles of a post calls for a ban, not a warning.

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:08 am 

I always wondered if there was more to it than just what appeared on the surface. We know that Absu and Melissa split, but we don't -know- that it was based on Melissa coming out. From memory neither party had said that explicitly said that, and I would have thought if that was the case then at least one of them would have made it absolutely clear.

I'd come to think that the most likely scenario would have been based on some kind of activism or political messaging that the band didn't want to be a vessel for, but thats just a feeling. (And of course I could easily be wrong as it's just speculation - but it's always in my nature to look for the positive outcome where possible).

If that statement is real, true and correct, then thats one thing.

If as others have said, that's a statement made AFTER the split, then that's very different to it coming before.

If that statement is from BEFORE the split, then to me the whole scenario makes sense, as i would also find it hard to accept those terms.

If it is from AFTER, then it also makes sense to me as a way for Melissa to reaffirm the individual positions of all parties in the matter.

I see both as plausible. The first makes sense to me as a reason for the split (as what we know to this point feels incomplete), whilst the second makes sense in terms of a final confirmation that the relationship is unworkable.

Sad story either way.

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:25 am 

wone21r wrote:
I always wondered if there was more to it than just what appeared on the surface. We know that Absu and Melissa split, but we don't -know- that it was based on Melissa coming out. From memory neither party had said that explicitly said that, and I would have thought if that was the case then at least one of them would have made it absolutely clear.

It's actually stranger than that. Melissa specifically mentioned that Proscriptor kicked her out not because she's trans, but because she's a woman (if I remember correctly he said something like, "there's no place for a woman in this band.") Strange guy.

zeusreal wrote:
Its from after he was removed from the band.

Theres none of his music on the new record.

This is exactly what Proscriptor was trying to avoid, when removing Matt from the band. This whole "LOOK AT ME! IM SPECIAL!" bullshit, id imagine every Absu interview would end up being less about the music and more about having a guitarist who wears womens clothes. Absu has its own world, that world isn't about millennial woke culture, its a escape from such nonsense.

Strange that the rest of the band quietly got on with sorting out the album, while the ex-member is still complaining to such high quality news outlets as "Metalsucks" who probably couldnt care less, they just want the $$$ generating outrage clicks.

Also i find it hilarious that people 'need more proof', yet are happy to condemn Proscriptor via half a text message conversation and selected highlights of emails.

I believe its known as 'Hearsay'.

But please, carry on....

(Assuming the blue screen cap is true)
Could it be possible that Melissa made those ridiculous demands not because she thought they would be met (she probably knew damn well they wouldn't), but because she was attempting to stop Absu from releasing a record that had her riffs?

Gravetemplar wrote:
GOOFAM wrote:
Well, it says "I am not a part of the band" directly, so you'd have to think post-split, yeah?

Makes sense. And you really need to be delusional to acuse her of being narcissistic when Proscriptor is ten times worse.

A narcissist being a narcissist doesn't justify another narcissist in trying to out-narcissist the narcissist by being a narcissist. Come on now.

brutaldeathdancepop wrote:
Funny thing to me about the whole transphobic drama is that it would've fit with their occult / esoteric / Mesopotamian / whatever the fuck aesthetic to have a trans member of the band, what with androgynous and gender-shifting gods and all that. Would've been pretty interesting to hone in on that idea.

I know, right?! Given how serious Proscriptor takes his LARPing, you would've thought he would see the opportunity in incorporating her image into the "mythos" of the band. Shame.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:27 am 

wone21r wrote:

I'd come to think that the most likely scenario would have been based on some kind of activism or political messaging that the band didn't want to be a vessel for, but thats just a feeling. (And of course I could easily be wrong as it's just speculation - but it's always in my nature to look for the positive outcome where possible).

If as others have said, that's a statement made AFTER the split, then that's very different to it coming before.

If that statement is from BEFORE the split, then to me the whole scenario makes sense, as i would also find it hard to accept those terms.

If it is from AFTER, then it also makes sense to me as a way for Melissa to reaffirm the individual positions of all parties in the matter.

I see both as plausible. The first makes sense to me as a reason for the split (as what we know to this point feels incomplete), whilst the second makes sense in terms of a final confirmation that the relationship is unworkable.

Sad story either way.

Aside from the fact that nothing about Melissa's story gives any reason for doubt, or that I don't recall Proscriptor or others in the band even denying any of the accusations, Melissa posted text messages from Proscriptor to her, where he was alluding to the fact that the band didn't want to continue with Melissa because of "her decision". There was probably more, but I forget.

As for the message posted above, I recall that Melissa said that she made a list of demands to the band which, if they agreed to, they would have her permission to move ahead with releasing the album she wrote and played on. To me it looks like she either wanted, in a symbolic way, Proscriptor and Absu to publicly acknowledge her transition and apologise for their mistreatment of her due to said transition.

And like SuperVeji4 said, the reason she was apparently booted was not because she's transgender, but because apparently they can't have a woman in the band. That said, I recall that Melissa's story recounted a lot of bullying from the band due to being trans.

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:07 pm 

Is something wrong with the music?

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:16 pm 

I tend to believe Melissa and the text/email/whatever images that were posted at the beginning of all of this. Proscriptor and other members never denied them, or commented on any of that being false to my knowledge. Big blue image makes a lot of sense if it were Melissa's terms for releasing the album with her music and involvement on it post-breakup. It'd be obvious that she was trying to make it has hard as possible for them to move forward with putting it out given the situation. If those were demands made before she was exiled/left then wow, does that create a giant headscratcher. Either way, it's pretty obvious that Proscriptor is a difficult and pompous dick, regardless of how much I enjoy Absu.

I understand wanting to control the image and aesthetic of your artistic outlet, but I really doubt Melissa would have been prancing around on stage in wildly conflicting get up during live performances. Proscriptor himself always seems pretty effeminate and dramatic, so I could only really see a woman on stage, especially trans, aiding to the effect of the mythos (as others have already said).

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:09 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
wone21r wrote:

Sad story either way.

Aside from the fact that nothing about Melissa's story gives any reason for doubt, or that I don't recall Proscriptor or others in the band even denying any of the accusations, Melissa posted text messages from Proscriptor to her, where he was alluding to the fact that the band didn't want to continue with Melissa because of "her decision". There was probably more, but I forget.

As for the message posted above, I recall that Melissa said that she made a list of demands to the band which, if they agreed to, they would have her permission to move ahead with releasing the album she wrote and played on. To me it looks like she either wanted, in a symbolic way, Proscriptor and Absu to publicly acknowledge her transition and apologise for their mistreatment of her due to said transition.

And like SuperVeji4 said, the reason she was apparently booted was not because she's transgender, but because apparently they can't have a woman in the band. That said, I recall that Melissa's story recounted a lot of bullying from the band due to being trans.

The whole "we can't have a woman in the band" issue always sounded like a poor excuse Russ made up to kick Melissa out in my opinion. My point is Russ knows exactly what kind of people listens to his band. Sure, people are a lot more tolerant in this board but you only need to check any other forum discussing this topic to read a ton of homophobic slurs. He knows pretty well that he would lose a lot of credibility to a certain part of the scene that buys every single new shirt he puts out every week (and the new Peste noire camembert special edition that costs 60$).

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:50 pm 

What an absolutely atrocious band name. I mean damn. Maybe the worst I've seen, ever. McGovern's Apsu LOL

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:22 pm 

I honestly dig the new bandname because of how ridiculous it is, and fitting to Proscriptor's whole pompous attitude. Fits like a glove.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:14 am 

I don't know why he couldn't have just called the band Apsu. Putting his name in it feels really unnecessary.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:05 am 

It's The New Proscriptor McGovern's Armadapsu featuring Herman Menderchuk.

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:13 am 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
asphaalanx wrote:
Is Ezezu out of Apsu now too? I might have missed that but his profile has been updated to denote that he's now ex-Apsu.

I'm curious about this too. Not seeing any word of it on their social medias (I don't follow Ezezu on IG or anything so I can't speak for that), and he's still listed on the band's website with a photo and everything. I'm wondering if this is just an error.

The report of him exiting Absu/Apsû cites this screencap, already from March.

Thank you kindly.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:17 am 

I think the most damning thing in favor of Melissa is that Ryan Moll was hanging out with her when she got the texts and said that they were 100% genuine and not taken out of context. I'm definitely inclined to buy the word of a dude who has been friends with her for over twenty years and has been in a band with her for most of that.

Also, the bluetext thing (assuming that it's legit) was most likely something that she knew Russ would never agree to in a million years, because she wrote most, if not all of the album and had previously been adamant that she was going to block its release if it still had her songs on it, ergo his only other options would be to either write a whole new set of songs, or just release it anyways and hope that she wasn't serious about taking him to court.

Pretty disappointed in Dan Gonzalez being involved in this too, he seemed like a cool dude.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:23 am 

There's so much asininity around and within this band that I'll most likely never feel the urge to dig any deeper. There's only so much retardation one can manage before making the cut.

Sure, if I had been a fan of this band before I'd probably try to see past the bullshit as long as possible but since I only know one or two tracks of these weirdos I'll gladly skip them.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

~Guest 94579
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:34 pm 

Aldrahn333 wrote:

Nothing other than being completely unremarkable.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:58 pm 

oxwah wrote:
Aldrahn333 wrote:

Nothing other than being completely unremarkable.

Come on. That is absolutely incorrect. People want to hate on them now for this situation? Fine, but we all know this isn’t true. Absu has always been lauded both by fans and critics for a lot of their work and albums like Tara are a bonefide classic. Let’s not get entirely carried away with the hyperbole.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:30 pm 

Unremarkable in every way, put on a pedestal and over hyped with no real substance. Tara was a borefest of the highest order.
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:39 pm 

Never understood why that album gets so much praise, but the band's 90s works range from cool to fucking excellent.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:28 pm 

I understand not liking Absu, but especially their classic output is anything but "unremarkable". It's fairly unique in its melding of styles and the band is instantly recognizable through their sound. Standard they are not.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:59 pm 

Floodland wrote:
Unremarkable in every way, put on a pedestal and over hyped with no real substance. Tara was a borefest of the highest order.

You would be in the minority with that one but you seem to like grandiose statements that are wholly dismissive so I’ll be sure to ignore anything you have to say.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:02 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Never understood why that album gets so much praise, but the band's 90s works range from cool to fucking excellent.

I was speaking from critical praise but my personal favourite is Barathrum VITRIOL. I’d agree with you the 90s works are absolutely the best.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:59 pm 

Tara is a masterpiece in my eyes and one of my favorite black-thrash albums ever. I understand being put off by the drama that's surrounded the band for the past couple years, but refusing to listen to their early stuff based on that means missing a lot of good music.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:36 am 

Tara a borefest?

I need to hear what excites this person.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:24 am 

SculptedCold wrote:
Tara a borefest?

UltraBoris definitely had a point with his review. The drums sound obnoxious and the riffs sound pretty mediocre. The Sun of Tiphareth, on the other hand, sounds like it could take on an epic voyage and no, I'm not an enormous black metal fan either, so that's not why I prefer it. :p

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:23 am 

colin040 wrote:
SculptedCold wrote:
Tara a borefest?

UltraBoris definitely had a point with his review. The drums sound obnoxious and the riffs sound pretty mediocre. The Sun of Tiphareth, on the other hand, sounds like it could take on an epic voyage and no, I'm not an enormous black metal fan either, so that's not why I prefer it. :p

Same here, The Sun of Tiphareth is the only album i found deserving the enormous praise this band gets, along with some songs here and there...
They have a really personal style, but the music doesn't match often their mythological aspirations.

Also the idea of texans in kilt writing about celtic/sumerian mythology and using "thee" and "thou" in regular conversations instantly makes me think of this page for some reason

https://www.facebook.com/ArcaneBullshit

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:48 am 

I wonder when we'll reach the point of Dissection not being good anymore because we don't like Jon's politics.

Proscriptor is a douchebag in this situation. It doesn't make Tara less of a masterpiece.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:21 am 

Sokaris wrote:
I wonder when we'll reach the point of Dissection not being good anymore because we don't like Jon's politics.

Proscriptor is a douchebag in this situation. It doesn't make Tara less of a masterpiece.

How this is a political matter? :lol: Tara is a solid album that has gained mythical levels of praise from underground usbm enthusiasts, it's not fair to compare it to a giant like Storm of Light's Bane... It's like saying that Cloven Hoof is better than 80's Maiden

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:34 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Sokaris wrote:

How this is a political matter? :lol: Tara is a solid album that has gained mythical levels of praise from underground usbm enthusiasts, it's not fair to compare it to a giant like Storm of Light's Bane... It's like saying that Cloven Hoof is better than 80's Maiden

I mean politics in the most general way, "views" would have probably been a better choice of word. I just tend to roll my eyes when someone in a generally liked band is revealed to be some level of a piece of shit and there's a wave of people that feel the need to tell everyone else how they never really liked them that much to begin with.

Let's trash Proscriptor for being a transphobe instead of hanging on new updates just to make sure everyone else sees that you don't like Tara and never did and it's important other people know.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:10 pm 

Sokaris wrote:

I mean, it does kinda help that Jon's dead.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:56 pm 

Well they got around to releasing another single:

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:01 pm 

The whole album leaked a week ago.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:31 am 

If it's anything like the last couple of Absu records, count me in.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7