Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:45 pm 

Well that DSBM EP is from my neck of the woods, and he's right that Telstra are notoriously hard to deal with. Perhaps I'll give it a listen, haha.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:09 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
There's 150+ reviews in the queue, though only a handful are for recent releases. There's one that was rejected a decade ago by Nightgaunt and resubmitted, and another with a message asking us to delete the submitter's old account. I managed to make it through half a dozen review submissions before stumbling across a new entry in the Hall of Shame: a 100% review for the submitter's own band.

If this doesn't get 8 points I swear to God I am taking over the Archives and selling it to AWS.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:22 am 

I'd be frustrated af too if my ISP customer's service treated me like this:

"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:14 am 

PETERG wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:
There's 150+ reviews in the queue, though only a handful are for recent releases. There's one that was rejected a decade ago by Nightgaunt and resubmitted, and another with a message asking us to delete the submitter's old account. I managed to make it through half a dozen review submissions before stumbling across a new entry in the Hall of Shame: a 100% review for the submitter's own band.

If this doesn't get 8 points I swear to God I am taking over the Archives and selling it to AWS.

Same :roll:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:48 am 

Hey yo, I did more strongman shit this weekend. I competed at Massachusetts’ Strongest Man last Saturday. Got 3rd place in the 242 weight class, thus qualifying me for USS Nationals next June. Luckily, that show will be in Manchester, New Hampshire, which is only about an hour away from me. Here are two videos of my performance: A 217 lbs. crucifix carry for 40 feet up and 40 feet back in 16.33 seconds, and a 225 lbs. stone to shoulder for 4 (would’ve been 5, but I fucked up the last rep and missed it).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUXsDJAMs4S ... =copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUQSt9apoyS ... =copy_link

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:11 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:

Spoiler: show

Imagine you're some poor, underpaid call-center operator and the guy on the other end of the line rasps out "I'm gonna write a song about this, fuckhead" before hanging up because you couldn't knock $10 off his bill. Where's all the DSBM about your cornflakes getting too soggy?

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:48 am 

Subrick wrote:
Hey yo, I did more strongman shit this weekend. I competed at Massachusetts’ Strongest Man last Saturday. Got 3rd place in the 242 weight class, thus qualifying me for USS Nationals next June. Luckily, that show will be in Manchester, New Hampshire, which is only about an hour away from me. Here are two videos of my performance: A 217 lbs. crucifix carry for 40 feet up and 40 feet back in 16.33 seconds, and a 225 lbs. stone to shoulder for 4 (would’ve been 5, but I fucked up the last rep and missed it).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUXsDJAMs4S ... =copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUQSt9apoyS ... =copy_link

Rock on dude! Strongman culture seems really interesting. I am currently training to enlist on my country's special forces for my obligatory army service.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:27 pm 

Just a reminder to y'all that the cats version of this site has helped me turn a shit day into a nice one thank to all the laughs!

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:07 pm 

PETERG wrote:
Just a reminder to y'all that the cats version of this site has helped me turn a shit day into a nice one thank to all the laughs!

Same here. Whenever I feel down, I just pull up the cat version of MA for a good laugh.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:46 pm 

Sometimes very tiny people, come through the bricks in my house. They always throw up sunflower seeds in my shower. I am really tired of cleaning it all up, but I don't want to be rude to guests in my house. Any advice would be appreciated.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:44 pm 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
Sometimes very tiny people, come through the bricks in my house. They always throw up sunflower seeds in my shower. I am really tired of cleaning it all up, but I don't want to be rude to guests in my house. Any advice would be appreciated.

I see you've been listening to Gong, which is an activity I approve of.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:20 pm 

Either Gong or he's stuck in a drunken Hamtaro episode

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:05 pm 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
wizard_of_bore wrote:

I see you've been listening to Gong, which is an activity I approve of.

As do I.

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:25 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
PETERG wrote:

Same here. Whenever I feel down, I just pull up the cat version of MA for a good laugh.

If only we could do the same with the good and bad metal archives. That whole prank was insane, the amount of work that went into that, and to think that of all things didn't get archived?

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:20 am 

i'm not even a mastodon fan, and I haven't played drums in 10 years; but last night I had a dream last night I was thrown into being the drummer for mastodon at a festival.

I didn't know what the hell I was doing so we played some metal version of twinkle twinkle little star and everyone was boo'ing.

Man... the subconscious mind is a fucking wild thing.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:50 am 

jimbies wrote:
i'm not even a mastodon fan, and I haven't played drums in 10 years; but last night I had a dream last night I was thrown into being the drummer for mastodon at a festival.

I didn't know what the hell I was doing so we played some metal version of twinkle twinkle little star and everyone was boo'ing.

*armchair psychologist*

Your subconscious is telling you you have a strong desire to play the drums again, but you are afraid you've lost a lot of knowledge/skill of the instrument in your downtime and don't want to look the fool while badly performing.

*I am not in any way a psychologist or qualified to interpret dreams*

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:27 pm 

I once dreamed I was about to rehearse with Candlemass, playing guitar, in my back yard. But I had to change strings first, and I never could finish getting the damned strings on!

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:47 am 

Did you notice that Facebook was down?!! I didn't. But it should be down more often. At least my life would be better.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:43 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
jimbies wrote:

*armchair psychologist*

Your subconscious is telling you you have a strong desire to play the drums again, but you are afraid you've lost a lot of knowledge/skill of the instrument in your downtime and don't want to look the fool while badly performing.

*I am not in any way a psychologist or qualified to interpret dreams*

I think you're on to something, actually.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:49 am 

Opus wrote:
I once dreamed I was about to rehearse with Candlemass, playing guitar, in my back yard. But I had to change strings first, and I never could finish getting the damned strings on!

LOL, last night I dreamed Candlemass. They played some songs in front of me and I was hooked. I usually don't listen to them, but after this dream I surely will check them out again...

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:16 pm 

Last night when I went outside the moon was gone. Well actually not gone, it was laying in my back yard. Its actually much smaller than people believe it to be. It just so happens my friends from Venus were over last night. In an interesting twist of fate I am the only one who can see them and I speak their language. They told me we should eat the moon. Its a rare delicacy on Venus and apparently quite the delicacy. I started eating the moon. You know something, it actually is really delicious. Not like anything you would expect.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:28 am 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
Last night when I went outside the moon was gone. Well actually not gone, it was laying in my back yard. Its actually much smaller than people believe it to be. It just so happens my friends from Venus were over last night. In an interesting twist of fate I am the only one who can see them and I speak their language. They told me we should eat the moon. Its a rare delicacy on Venus and apparently quite the delicacy. I started eating the moon. You know something, it actually is really delicious. Not like anything you would expect.

Is it really made out of green cheese, like the legends of old say?

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:13 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
wizard_of_bore wrote:

Is it really made out of green cheese, like the legends of old say?

Thus spake Wallace and Gromit.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:18 pm 

So, my girlfriend and I are in the process of buying our first house. We visited one that went on sale on Monday, we visited it on Tuesday afternoon, made an offer barely above the price and yesterday morning we were told that the offer was accepted!

This is a huge milestone (and a big financial decision!) for us and while everything is not 100% set in stone (still have the inspection on Monday), things are looking very good for us. What's funny is that I am both a bit overwhelmed by it all and how fast it's going and I am also not fully realizing it completely... I guess it won't truly feel real until we have the keys and take possession of it, which will be at the end of June 2022.
Fire walk with me"

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:35 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
So, my girlfriend and I are in the process of buying our first house. We visited one that went on sale on Monday, we visited it on Tuesday afternoon, made an offer barely above the price and yesterday morning we were told that the offer was accepted!

This is a huge milestone (and a big financial decision!) for us and while everything is not 100% set in stone (still have the inspection on Monday), things are looking very good for us. What's funny is that I am both a bit overwhelmed by it all and how fast it's going and I am also not fully realizing it completely... I guess it won't truly feel real until we have the keys and take possession of it, which will be at the end of June 2022.

Congratulations, mate. Home ownership is a big deal. Hopefully it all goes well.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:48 pm 

Man, the excitement of buying your first home with your partner is a great high. Congrats.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:53 am 

jimbies wrote:

Opus wrote:

Ha, I once had a dream that I replaced Ian Hill in Judas Priest for a concert at Stonehenge. I limped my way through Breaking the Law but by the time Screaming for Vengence rolled around, the crowd realised I was a shitty bassplayer and climbed up on-stage to beat the shit out of me. 10/10 would dream again.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:11 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:

Congratulations, mate. Home ownership is a big deal. Hopefully it all goes well.

Thanks! It's a big deal indeed. We began to look into buying a house last year around the same time, but after 3-4 visits and one rejected offer, we decided to put the thing on hold as the house market is quite insane. Most houses are listed a good $20 000 above the municipal evaluation price and add to that the bidding frenzy where people offer a shit ton of money on top of the already insane price... This one came out of nowhere and we got lucky I guess...
Fire walk with me"

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:54 pm 

Yo, MA people. Been a while. How's everyone doing?

EDIT: Just for clarification's sake, Xlxlx here. Maybe the re-mixed name was not such a good idea after all.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:10 pm 

I kinda just want to call you Exlaxlax. Either way, welcome back.

Unrelated to the above, this is going to end in self-promotion, but one of my recent hobby developments is taking concert photography which I'm really starting to enjoy a lot. Most of what I've done so far are bar metal and punk shows and then Shadow Woods Metal Fest V, but last Sunday I got to shoot Cradle of Filth and openers 3teeth at a big venue. No photo pass, just pure general admission location shots. And seeing them come out the way they did even impresses me. This is purely a hobby for the time being, but I hope I can use this eventually to go places for shows.

Self-promotion below:
Spoiler: show
I have a public page for my shots on Facebook now. Please check me out. https://www.facebook.com/StygianNarcosis

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:49 pm 

Exlaxlax sounds like the most terrible laxative on the planet :lol: Either way, thanks William Panzer.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:07 am 

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
Yo, MA people. Been a while. How's everyone doing?

EDIT: Just for clarification's sake, Xlxlx here. Maybe the re-mixed name was not such a good idea after all.

Hey mate. Welcome back. How have you been?

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:37 am 

Yoooo, Mikey! Pretty good, I have to say. I just kinda decided I needed a general break from social media for a while. Moved to a different province for some months before coming back to the south to live with my girlfriend, though in a different city than I used to. Gotta say, moving together with her is one of the best decisions I've made in my life. We're really building a nice place for the two of us (and the cat, of course), and my mental health is the best it's been in years, so I can't complain. Fully switched to working as a private online teacher as well, and that's worked out great so far (btw, if anyone here is interested in learning Spanish online, hit me up with a PM).

Lots of stuff happened throughout the pandemic, lotta changes, but they've all been for the better. I decided to come back because I found myself lurking here a fair bit lately, and I kinda missed the community. I don't think I'll be as active as I used to, but it's good to be here and be able to get in touch with everyone again.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:44 pm 

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
Yoooo, Mikey! Pretty good, I have to say. I just kinda decided I needed a general break from social media for a while. Moved to a different province for some months before coming back to the south to live with my girlfriend, though in a different city than I used to. Gotta say, moving together with her is one of the best decisions I've made in my life. We're really building a nice place for the two of us (and the cat, of course), and my mental health is the best it's been in years, so I can't complain. Fully switched to working as a private online teacher as well, and that's worked out great so far (btw, if anyone here is interested in learning Spanish online, hit me up with a PM).

Lots of stuff happened throughout the pandemic, lotta changes, but they've all been for the better. I decided to come back because I found myself lurking here a fair bit lately, and I kinda missed the community. I don't think I'll be as active as I used to, but it's good to be here and be able to get in touch with everyone again.

That's really good, mate. I'm super glad to hear that things have been going well for you. I can understand that the pandemic has caused havoc for some people, but for others it has fostered growth, and it's good to hear you're part of the latter.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:09 pm 

There's a few Spotify users here for sure. When I've finished an album, I know goes to similar artists. Does anyone else get Deep People's Perfect Strangers playing a lot after they've finished an album? I know it's partly my tastes and favourite artists, but this seems to play after almost every album. Does this happen to anyone else here?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:29 am 

MikeyC wrote:
That's really good, mate. I'm super glad to hear that things have been going well for you. I can understand that the pandemic has caused havoc for some people, but for others it has fostered growth, and it's good to hear you're part of the latter.

Thanks man, pandemic was mostly hard at the beginning as I lost my previous job during the chaos, but I picked up some steam pretty quickly after that. I count myself really lucky, for all intents and purposes I'm in much better standing now than I was like a year and a half ago.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:43 pm 

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Thanks man, pandemic was mostly hard at the beginning as I lost my previous job during the chaos, but I picked up some steam pretty quickly after that. I count myself really lucky, for all intents and purposes I'm in much better standing now than I was like a year and a half ago.

Awesome to hear. Hopefully this upward trajectory continues. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:05 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
There's a few Spotify users here for sure. When I've finished an album, I know goes to similar artists. Does anyone else get Deep People's Perfect Strangers playing a lot after they've finished an album? I know it's partly my tastes and favourite artists, but this seems to play after almost every album. Does this happen to anyone else here?
I 'follow' all Deep Purple and related solo projects, spin offs and those of their 2nd and 3rd cousins.. like I follow Yvonne Elliman, Mark Nauseef, Barbi Benton, Graham Preskett, the Chanter Sisters.. if it has 1% of Deep Purple DNA, I follow it

all the Deep People for sure

And no, Perfect Stranglers never comes up, or very seldomly

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:59 pm 

I believe its interesting a group says they identified the Zodiac killer. Their most "compelling" piece of evidence is that the lines on the forehead in the drawing, match the lines in a picture of their key suspect. Most witnesses are not even going to be able to give a definitive description of the lines on a persons forehead. If the witness was a police officer, or someone trained in identifying people, I would say its a good possibility. A person who was attacked by the Zodiac, most likely wont be able to provide such a detailed description of the perpetrator, that they can tell you which way all of the lines on the murderers forehead go.

I have spent many years studying the Zodiac. After the known killings ceased, he obviously thought he was smarter than law enforcement. Does someone with his psychological makeup, ever think someday technology will identify me? Is this a thought that ever crosses a killer like his mind? Or does he feel he was such a criminal genius, that never will he be identified. He most likely went at least a few years after everything without being caught. Did he believe he was in the clear? Did he ever feel like, well they are closing in on me. I will be caught soon.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:22 pm 

Today my computer decided to try and give me a heart attack.

I did an update on my computer a few hours ago, and when I turned it back on, I found out that it signed me into a new account and practically wiped out all of my files, including all of my mp3! I had about 1500 albums from 751 unique artists that amounted to a total of 14,902 songs, some of which I doubt I could get back :(

I was panicking and was about to download all kinds of programs to try and fix it when I realized that I should try logging out of the account and log back in. So I did and lo and behold, all of my files are safe and sound :thumbsup:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305 ... 332  Next