Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:05 pm 

I'm glad that Annable Courts is finally using those highlights in a way that doesn't seem so slapdash now. Shame the takes are still kinda bad.

NoSoup4you22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:27 pm 

Was gonna read, saw reviewer, didn't read.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:40 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Speaking of lower scores given away, does anyone else think that their writing style alters a bit once they're writing a negative review? Since most of my reviews fall into the 70 and 80%, I thought it'd be good to change things up a bit by writing about stuff that I don't care as much about or dislike.

I think that's a given, honestly. Reviews are subjective by their very nature, and the words you use are made to reflect how you feel about a given album. I tend to be more critical when doing negative reviews, more hyperbolic, too, whereas with a positive review sometimes I feel I can afford to be a bit less rigid, if that makes any sense. Vocabulary and emotion's a lot different.
... stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:48 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I'm glad that Annable Courts is finally using those highlights in a way that doesn't seem so slapdash now. Shame the takes are still kinda bad.

Now it just feels kinda redundant. Notice how (I'm assuming this is about the Agalloch review) he bolds the first sentence of every paragraph. I can tell from my own experience that our eyes are already kind of naturally drawn towards the first sentence even without the formatting, so it still looks really garish and now it barely even does anything.

Honestly, text formatting is something that I think reviews (good ones, anyway) should be able to do without. Even the hyperbolic yelly ones get their effect from vocabulary, not... this mess. Agh, dammit, never liked reading his stuff anyway.
... stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:07 am 

bayern wrote:
DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Only bayern can give Black Hole's Evil in the Dark an 87%. :lol: Although I am very happy at least SOMEBODY reviewed it AND Living Mask FINALLY.

Man, that was ages ago... I don't even remember when I did those...

but yeah, "Evil in the Dark" is totally weird, surreal stuff, a very acquired taste... goes well with some semi-forbidden substances, though.

My belief is it could've been great if Robert Measles actually had a band and producer to help him make it.... I also think it should've been considered a demo. He just bit off way more than he could chew. I'm honestly surprised Andromeda Relix was willing to release it as it was as an album. There is some really good songwriting buried in there though.

You ever consider reviewing the Behind the Gravestone demo comp?

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:46 am 

bayern wrote:
Only bayern can give Black Hole's Evil in the Dark an 87%. :lol: Although I am very happy at least SOMEBODY reviewed it AND Living Mask FINALLY.

Man, that was ages ago... I don't even remember when I did those...

but yeah, "Evil in the Dark" is totally weird, surreal stuff, a very acquired taste... goes well with some semi-forbidden substances, though.

My belief is it could've been great if Robert Measles actually had a band and producer to help him make it.... I also think it should've been considered a demo. He just bit off way more than he could chew. I'm honestly surprised Andromeda Relix was willing to release it as it was as an album. There is some really good songwriting buried in there though.

You ever consider reviewing the Behind the Gravestone demo comp?

Nope; I'm not touching that one... nearly four hours of this kind of music... how does one review such a huge mystical collection? I'll leave it to the occultists and the esotericists.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:45 pm 

The random bold type in Annable Courts reviews makes me irrationally irritated for some reason.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:57 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
The random bold type in Annable Courts reviews makes me irrationally irritated for some reason.

I assure you, it has the same effect on many more of us, myself included. His actual words tend to be far more irritating, however. Have a gander at one of his stupider reviews to see what I'm talking about:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... rts/324993

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:13 pm 

Gas_Snake wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

I assure you, it has the same effect on many more of us, myself included. His actual words tend to be far more irritating, however. Have a gander at one of his stupider reviews to see what I'm talking about:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... rts/324993

If he considers Rust in Peace to be "full on blues metal", I would absolutely love to know what he would consider the first couple of Sabbath albums, you know?

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:34 pm 

Apparently Hanger 18 is "showcasing Mustaine's trademark 4-chord chromatic progression in all its glory." What the fuck is he talking about? The intro? Cause that doesn't make any fucking sense about any part of the song.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:30 pm 

orphy wrote:
Apparently Hanger 18 is "showcasing Mustaine's trademark 4-chord chromatic progression in all its glory." What the fuck is he talking about? The intro? Cause that doesn't make any fucking sense about any part of the song.

The primary chord progression of the intro (which dominates the first half of the song) is the same ascending chromatic 4-chord grouping that's at the beginning of "The Call Of Ktulu", which Mustaine also wrote. I think that is what he was getting at, although the way he worded it is a bit vague, especially considering that Mustaine reuses a number of other 4-chord chromatic progressions, such as the one during the acoustic section of "Phantom Lord". It's music theory jargon that really doesn't add much to the review for anybody who isn't a musician, it would have been much more effective to simply note the parallel between two songs. Back in my Metallica tribute band days we actually used to jokingly refer to "Hanger 18" as "The Call Of Ktuly Part 2" because of the intros having the exact same chord progression.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:49 pm 

Haha yeah I know it's the same chord progression, but I never really thought of it as chromatic, although I suppose it does feature two parts where three of the four chords have one note that goes up each time.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:50 am 

If I remember the intro correctly, the chord progression isn't simply chromatic. There's a lot of minor sixth feel between the first two chords - you know, that typical metal chord progression that Iron Maiden has based entire songs on.

swine_brothers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:54 pm 

That RIP review was all kinds of idiotic.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:22 pm 

orphy wrote:
Haha yeah I know it's the same chord progression, but I never really thought of it as chromatic, although I suppose it does feature two parts where three of the four chords have one note that goes up each time.

Technically speaking it's not actually a chromatic progression because that term is usually used when the bottom note/root of the chord moves up or down by half steps, the Ktulu/Hanger 18 progression has a 4 note set in the middle of the chord voice that moves up by half step, but the root isn't always the note that's moving up in that fashion. The Phantom Lord/This Was My Life/Use The Man progression is a bit closer to this concept, but even that one doesn't consistently move in a chromatic fashion (the root jumps up from the first to second chord then descends chromatically back down). Truth be told, the only Mustaine progression that really fits the term he used in the review is the verse riff of Devil's Island.

Ilwhyan wrote:
If I remember the intro correctly, the chord progression isn't simply chromatic. There's a lot of minor sixth feel between the first two chords - you know, that typical metal chord progression that Iron Maiden has based entire songs on.

Yeah, it's not technically a chromatic progression in the proper sense, the chromatic element comes into play more when you jump from the 2nd chord to the 3rd and then the 4th chord, and it has to do with the 3rd interval rather than the root of the chord. This part of the progression is not as common in older heavy metal, though interesting it was used during Iron Maiden's mid-80s era extensively from Powerslave through Seventh Son. If you actually break down the total structure of Hanger 18, it could be seen as a thrash metal tribute to the Seventh Son title song, especially that dueling guitar solo battle during the 2nd half.

Okay, that's enough geeking out on music theory for this week. lol
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:07 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
orphy wrote:

Technically speaking it's not actually a chromatic progression because that term is usually used when the bottom note/root of the chord moves up or down by half steps, the Ktulu/Hanger 18 progression has a 4 note set in the middle of the chord voice that moves up by half step, but the root isn't always the note that's moving up in that fashion. The Phantom Lord/This Was My Life/Use The Man progression is a bit closer to this concept, but even that one doesn't consistently move in a chromatic fashion (the root jumps up from the first to second chord then descends chromatically back down). Truth be told, the only Mustaine progression that really fits the term he used in the review is the verse riff of Devil's Island.

Ilwhyan wrote:

Yeah, it's not technically a chromatic progression in the proper sense, the chromatic element comes into play more when you jump from the 2nd chord to the 3rd and then the 4th chord, and it has to do with the 3rd interval rather than the root of the chord. This part of the progression is not as common in older heavy metal, though interesting it was used during Iron Maiden's mid-80s era extensively from Powerslave through Seventh Son. If you actually break down the total structure of Hanger 18, it could be seen as a thrash metal tribute to the Seventh Son title song, especially that dueling guitar solo battle during the 2nd half.

Okay, that's enough geeking out on music theory for this week. lol

Cheers for that, hells, it was really enlightening... at least for me, who seldom breaks his music down to its basic ingredients.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:54 pm 

Did Annable really just say that had Anthems not existed first, IX Equilibrium would be a more worthwhile album? Would not the existence of Anthems be immaterial to the individual quality of IX? Also, he claims that it's a "rare phenomenon" for bands to have a string of good albums with one lesser one in the middle, even though, ya know, that happens all the time.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:27 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Did Annable really just say that had Anthems not existed first, IX Equilibrium would be a more worthwhile album?

Geez, that is quite a take...
:oh shit:

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:35 pm 

Guy's been doing a lot of ass-pull takes like this lately. I'm inclined to just kinda nod my head and laugh.

Been checking out Emperor recently. I'm not much of a black metal guy, but that's their most immediately impressive album to my ears. It's got this chaotic sound with a lot of really interesting riffage and the way it flows is more fitting for how it sounds (Prometheus is kind of a mess in comparison 'cause it's a more restrained sound with the same kind of sudden jumps from section to section).

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:01 pm 

What's with the overuse of bold? Is it for those who can't be arsed reading the full review?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:05 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
What's with the overuse of bold? Is it for those who can't be arsed reading the full review?

Yeah, I don't see the point in adding all kinds of bold words in a review. It makes it more of a sore of my eyes.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:51 pm 

I assume it's his lazy and garish way of accenting specific points in a review because he can't be bothered to accomplish this through flow and vocabulary, to say nothing of WHAT those points even are. I'm inclined to agree with Slater here, text formatting is something good writers do not need to express their opinion (though, of course, the subject of our discussion is anything but).

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:57 am 

I just wish I could come on here and not read yet another discussion about why AC's highlighting is the worst thing ever.

Like how Colin's recent Castle and Hooded Menace writes got me in a good autumn mood for creepy doom death.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:28 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Like how Colin's recent Castle and Hooded Menace writes got me in a good autumn mood for creepy doom death.

Thanks, dude. Originally I wanted to complete my review for The Tritonus Bell first, but somehow I struggle to make progress with that one.

WR95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:21 pm 

That was a decent Ziomaletto's review, I don't agree on anything except what he said about McBrain, he had opportunities to improve as a drummer but preferred to continue on the safe way. That's what makes Maiden great, it received 3 negative reviews in less than a month and I'm here still waiting for a negative pov on Firepower yet.

Last edited by WR95 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:23 pm 

Colin's HM review is good because it focused on the subjective "it just doesn't feel right" aspects of the music which I think are often overlooked.
I don't know that album or that band, but I know that feeling.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:33 pm 

Atrocious new Maiden review really... he's welcome to think it's boring or whatever, but this paragraph really comes off as totally whiny hysterical bullshit...

Quote:
But, it's not entirely Nicko's lack of skills, producer being a yes-man or even Harris' ego that made this, and all previous albums, a disaster. It's you, Maiden fans. You've held them up to no standards, you've praised their lack of effort put into anything IM made since 'The X Factor', YOU, made Iron Maiden a lenient band that plays music that might as well be played in elevator. This isn't proggressive, repeating the same fucking riffs for over 10 minutes OR MORE is just that - repetetive and boring as fuck. You want truly proggressive metal - try Opeth, try Edge of Sanity, Queensrÿche, King Crimson, and stop pretending this overindulgent, pointless crap is proggressive. I won't tell you to stop listening to Iron Maiden's last albums, you will do you. But then don't act fucking suprised when you pop up this site and notice someone giving 10% to this effortless crap and even DARE to think this person is not the "trve" Maiden fan and just doesn't "understand" the genius of this music. You've held them up to this "standard" - this is what you get. I'm done with Iron Maiden. With anything released post 1997 they couldn't prove they deserve the attention and high marks they get. They still have old records which are brilliant, but as for their reunion albums - they can shove 'em.

Like yeah if Maiden fans would only give more 10% reviews on a website, then the band would have changed the way they wrote songs. Just weird to try and make it about the fans. Just talk about the fucking music. That's all you need for a negative review.

Quote:
Why don't you just hire Andy Sneap? You've heard 'Firepower', you've heard 'Blood of the Nations'. Maybe he could breathe some fucking life into this band and told them to make shorter and more coherent songs.

This is just me personally, but ugh, 100% disagree on that one. Hate his work and would not like new Maiden if it took the approach of either of those albums.

WR95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:46 pm 

Yeah little music description too. Here in South America both Maidenboys and Judasboys are usually toxic. The difference is Maidenboys only enjoy their band's music, and ignore JP. Judasboys rant against every new Maiden album.

Quote:
Why don't you just hire Andy Sneap? You've heard 'Firepower'.

Maybe this explains everything :lol:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:05 pm 

I did actually try and criticize Firepower when I reviewed it, but I was probably a bit too nice... it's an OKish album but just not really that exciting looking back.

This other guy's Maiden review just comes off as the kinda self righteous nonsense someone who isn't even 20 might write... probably not something he'll be proud of in the future. I can relate with several old 08-09 reviews.

swine_brothers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:40 pm 

He's welcome to whatever musical opinion he has, but this review isn't constructive. It's also terribly written, think it made my headache worse.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:51 pm 

robotiq wrote:
Colin's HM review is good because it focused on the subjective "it just doesn't feel right" aspects of the music which I think are often overlooked.
I don't know that album or that band, but I know that feeling.

Appreciate the kind words! :)

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:45 pm 

Yeah that was a yikes.... also implies that Brave New World and Dance Of Death were awful, as if those aren't both incredible.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:45 pm 

Comes down more to his style and attitude than anything else. Yeah, the pacing on that album also makes me irrationally angry, and it would take a lot of effort for me to explain it with any semblance of detail, and you'd still rip my ass for it because Iron Fucking Maiden (I presume this is what he's getting at).

One-line review: You do not have the energy and variance to carry a 10-minute song. Stop and let us off.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:52 am 

Actually, the only review of mine I've ever deleted from this site was my 19% one for Book of Souls. One reason was I had only listened to the album twice, but also it did seem like a super-critical stance (I laid into everything) for an album that was mainly bloated and poorly produced. It's very hard to say why you're hearing the same thing as everyone else but that it just feels fake and horrid. It sounded like I was trolling, but I really feel that Maiden are a lost cause. Hearing 'The Writing on the Wall' didn't change my mind and I haven't listened to Senjutsu at all yet.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:13 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Atrocious new Maiden review really... he's welcome to think it's boring or whatever, but this paragraph really comes off as totally whiny hysterical bullshit...

Quote:
But, it's not entirely Nicko's lack of skills, producer being a yes-man or even Harris' ego that made this, and all previous albums, a disaster. It's you, Maiden fans. You've held them up to no standards, you've praised their lack of effort put into anything IM made since 'The X Factor', YOU, made Iron Maiden a lenient band that plays music that might as well be played in elevator. This isn't proggressive, repeating the same fucking riffs for over 10 minutes OR MORE is just that - repetetive and boring as fuck. You want truly proggressive metal - try Opeth, try Edge of Sanity, Queensrÿche, King Crimson, and stop pretending this overindulgent, pointless crap is proggressive. I won't tell you to stop listening to Iron Maiden's last albums, you will do you. But then don't act fucking suprised when you pop up this site and notice someone giving 10% to this effortless crap and even DARE to think this person is not the "trve" Maiden fan and just doesn't "understand" the genius of this music. You've held them up to this "standard" - this is what you get. I'm done with Iron Maiden. With anything released post 1997 they couldn't prove they deserve the attention and high marks they get. They still have old records which are brilliant, but as for their reunion albums - they can shove 'em.

That read like an UltraBoris rant until the guy mentioned those prog bands. :lol:

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:08 am 

colin040 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Quote:

That read like an UltraBoris rant until the guy mentioned those prog bands. :lol:

I actually had a good laugh reading that review. I disagree on a lot of points but whether his arguments are 'strong' or not, his message is pretty damn clear. He hates Shirley, McBrain, the fans and the songwriting.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:37 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Actually, the only review of mine I've ever deleted from this site

Can't relate :lol: :lol: :lol: I wrote so many horrid reviews on classic albums when I was like 19 that just could not stay.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:39 am 

I've thought of getting a review together for the new Maiden, if only because it seems like it'd be one of the few in the "meh, it's fine" category, but the discourse is just exhausting at this point. It's all so polarized and you can hear everybody's arguments before they're even said. Feels weird to say that about my favorite band ever but it's really not even their fault, it's just everything around them. I wouldn't go so far to say that it's toxic but rather just played out.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:47 am 

Ziomaletto commented on 'Hell on Earth ' (Senjutsu) how "Mick Gordon showed everyone how to play a demon-slaying song going by the same name."

Just listened to this game music piece for the first time. It's probably good on game (Doom eternal), but this doesn't get rolling. At least we get Nicko McBrain beating his arsenal on the Maiden one!

Anyway, that comparison is just very stupid.

EDIT: Forgot this one: "Proggressive metal... try... King Crimson..." :scratch:

Last edited by Lane on Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:49 am 

colin040 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Quote:

At least UltraBoris had the right level of vitriol directed at Opeth, if nothing else.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 466, 467, 468, 469, 470, 471, 472 ... 520  Next