traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:31 am 

Loomis teased it on his IG. Announcement Thursday or Friday, not sure which

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVP5V34oLca/

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:17 am 

Not sure what to make of this. I'm worried that collectively they're just going through the motions, are out of inspiration, and will continue to make serviceable but unspectacular albums. I'm more excited for Loomis' third solo album, but that seems slow coming, and I'm less stoked about it being just instrumental, at least at this point. Jeff is also now in Alcatrazz, so it seems that his energy is elsewhere, not that they were having him contribute much other than solos anyway. I had just hoped that would change at some point, but it doesn't seem likely.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:14 am 

Being awful judgemental considering we haven't heard a note or even if Loomis got to contribute this time.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:09 am 

The single is out on spotify already, and I find it really boring. (And this is coming from someone that has found stuff he loves on every AE release, even the last couple).

UndeadHalfOrc
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:20 am 

I have not cared about anything this band did since Wages of Sin.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:14 am 

I like it. It's better than anything on the last album by a wide margin, and it's the only album of theirs that I have not really cared for. I like most of their discography, it's like metal fast food.

I just didn't like the "Deceiver Deceiver" slower part in the middle. And it's really not original. But it's good fun, it has the energy missing on the last CD (I just checked, and I can't ever recall it's bland generic title - Will to Power, right, was OK for one or two initial listen, then forgot it even existed).

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:28 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
I like it. It's better than anything on the last album by a wide margin, and it's the only album of theirs that I have not really cared for. I like most of their discography, it's like metal fast food.

No wonder I hate fast food. It's the Arch Enemy of food.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:00 pm 

They're just so dull...

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:39 pm 

Link:

Seems quite uninspired, are they still not letting Loomis write stuff? I'd be more hyped for a second Conquering Dystopia album personally.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:35 pm 

This was my face during the entirety of that song

-____-

It honestly sounded like Lamb of God's discarded b-roll songs if Randy Blythe was a woman.

Dreadful...

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:37 pm 

Yeah, I like Arch Enemy... I like Alissa, obviously we know all the guys are amazing with their instruments but it just felt like nothing I'd go back and listen to again.

It's fine... just not anything I'd go back to. It's like when you order a sandwich and it comes with a bag of chips. I wasn't going to buy any but if you're just giving me the chips... I'll eat the chips...

Hopefully the album has more standout tracks... And I'll say this, I often find that the record label "singles" from metal bands are my least favorite tracks on albums so I'm going to wait and see.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:17 pm 

jimbies wrote:
The single is out on spotify already, and I find it really boring. (And this is coming from someone that has found stuff he loves on every AE release, even the last couple).

If every modern Arch Enemy song was half as good as Never Forgive Never Forget, I'd defend this band every time someone calls them dull.

New song? Sounds OK to me. I guess I understand the "been there, done that" reaction from people who've been listening to them for 15+ years though.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:36 pm 

Alyssa's been hitting the gym.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:39 pm 

Just listened to the single. Feels more like a leftover from the last two AE albums. A bit of a rough start, but hopefully the other songs are more interesting.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:30 pm 

Metal's most boring and pointless band returns for another title defense.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:46 pm 

She seems so utterly forced and contrived. What fucking vocalist moves like that on stage unless you’re in Aerosmith or the Rolling Stones? The mugging and the weird shit. Just… no thanks.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:51 am 

traxan wrote:
Being awful judgemental considering we haven't heard a note or even if Loomis got to contribute this time.

As you should see amply demonstrated, I'm actually one of the more kind members towards their recent material here. Now that we have heard a few notes, I actually quite enjoyed that song. I don't get why people are piling on it. The production sounds more full than the last few, and I love those higher-pitched tom rolls. It even has a cool d-beat passage which you don't hear as much from them. It's not the best they've ever done, but it's better than much of what I've recalled them doing in the past dozen years. Way more generic stuff routinely makes its way onto our yearly and midyear polls, and I have to factor in that people here generally have a bias against melodeath, but hey, everyone has different tastes.

That said, I remain worried about the album as a whole based off of past history, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong. AoR is the album they seemed to start becoming more inconsistent on, and KL is the one where it didn't even have as many standout tracks, and they've kind of continued along that path since then (though WE was a bit better), so the frustration is that I know they're capable of more, especially if Loomis was more involved.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:38 am 

Meh, just like everything for the last 15+ years. There are couple of rather nice moments, but as whole the song feels disjointed and forced. Again. Sounds like they are running on fumes, and have been for a long time. I'm not sure Loomis' could add anything meaningful to the music, I don't feel like he fits in the band at all, to be honest. I'd be more interested in hearing more new stuff from the alternate version, Black Earth, as the two new songs they did weren't bad, especially Born on the Flame.

Pelata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:03 pm 

Weak and boring shit, IMO. Taylor Swift death metal...lyrics about being mad at a boy.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:49 am 

traxan wrote:

What a stupid post, are you getting paid by them?

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:47 am 

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:
I have not cared about anything this band did since Wages of Sin.

Ditto. This single is heavy and fast but it sounds exactly like what they've been doing. I wish they'd go back to the unorthodox melodies and style of the early albums.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:49 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
She seems so utterly forced and contrived. What fucking vocalist moves like that on stage unless you’re in Aerosmith or the Rolling Stones? The mugging and the weird shit. Just… no thanks.

Yes. That is why I stopped listening to them after Angela left. They decided that they're going to market themselves as an extreme band w/ a female vocalist, rather than simply persuing the best person for the job. The costumes, the jackets, the makeup, the theatrics. There's just something so contrived, as you said, and unmetal about all of it. Such a shame because the raw talent in that band is insane.

Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:40 am 

First time I've heard them since Doomsday Machine(which i own but was so forgettable I had to look up what it was called). Is there really still a market for this stuff? It's very boring.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:19 pm 

thewrll wrote:
traxan wrote:

Talking of stupid post...

People can like things you don't, douchebag.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:48 pm 

Tits. Twerking. Silly lyrics. Unused talent, lack of inspiration. Marketing.

What else?

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:20 pm 

traxan wrote:

traxan wrote:
Alyssa's been hitting the gym.

This is all you have to say now that we have heard a note and more?

A lot of other weird posts in this thread too. It's not good or anything, very forgettable gym metal, but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of music or visuals. Embarrasing in terms of the latter, perhaps, but so are most of mainstream metal videos these days. I didn't see any twerking and the tits, while obviously there, are not central to the video. And the comparison to Mick Jagger's swagger is simply off, just look that this for example!

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:56 pm 

I like it, it's Arch Enemy doing what they're best as. If it's not broken don't fix it. Alissa's got some great pipes too.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:20 pm 

What exactly does Arch Enemy do their best at?

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:30 pm 

Really straightforward melodic death metal, not trying to re write the playbook but rather just play something enjoyable for a broad audience. That riff at 2:06 is a classic arch enemy kind of riff.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:51 pm 

So just bargain bin generic brand stuff. I'll never get the love for this band.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:08 pm 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
So just bargain bin generic brand stuff. I'll never get the love for this band.

Do you not like any of their material, even the first handful of albums? And what love? 90% of M-A seems to dislike them, at least their more recent material.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:34 pm 

I mean from Rise of the Tyrant onwards. I always thought Black Earth- Wages of Sin was decent enough. But I dunno man, they just kind of got duller and duller.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:15 am 

traxan wrote:

Arch Enemy has not released a single worthwhile album for 14 years now. Why do you consider it "judgemental" of someone to have low expectations from a band whose been going through the motion, playing it safe and releasing the same album for the last decade and a half now?

I'd like to say that I'm hoping for some good material out of such talented musicians, but Arch Enemy is a brand now.

Listening to the first single out of this, Deceiver Deceiver, this is basically exactly what I was expecting from new Arch Enemy. It's capable, but plain forgettable melodic death metal like they've been delivering for quite a while now. Even the lyrics have this distinctive generic aimless/abstract opposition to vague tyricannical figures to overthrow that is so common to AE's music.

I'm expecting an entire album of this, and enough material to justify a tour that will attract thousands of their diehard fans.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:52 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
thewrll wrote:
traxan wrote:

Yes they can, they cannot also not like something before hearing it, we don't need this crap, Being awful judgemental considering we haven't heard a note or even if Loomis got to contribute this time.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:57 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
thewrll wrote:
traxan wrote:

Thank you. And it's not even a case of liking the video. As I said, we had not even heard the video yet and someone was criticizing the song.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:22 am 

Wow just wow, someone is really butthurt, that person's opinion is just as valid even if the song has not been released. Arch Enemy doesn't have a good track record. Their singer is a laughing stock.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:06 am 

At least the single is less offensive than some of the stuff they had done on the last two albums, but at the same time it's probably AE at their most forgettable. As I said, each individual member has proven qualities but they are not being brought to the table at all.

You think that Alissa's contract is going to automatically expire when she'll be hitting 40?

Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:44 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:

You think that Alissa's contract is going to automatically expire when she'll be hitting 40?

Well, she almost does already.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:22 pm 

Necrodictator wrote:
Well, she almost does already.

4 more years.

That's at least one more album.

Adder's Fork - Website

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:38 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
At least the single is less offensive than some of the stuff they had done on the last two albums, but at the same time it's probably AE at their most forgettable. As I said, each individual member has proven qualities but they are not being brought to the table at all.

That's the second time you make a comment on her body and appearance. The band obviously markets itself in part through their image, and she is a part of it, yes, but she's not alone in this. Suggesting that she's just an eye candy, and that the band is about "Twerk and tits" is also extremely unfair to her skills, as she's a very capable vocalist, and it's also kind of sexist. Chill out a bit. The band is still managed by Angela Gossow, and she retired from her role as a vocalist when she decided to, not because she was pushed out. Until it happens, we have no reason to believe that they will kick Alyssa out when she turns 40.

Otherwise it is true that AE's music has been going stale for the last 15 years or so. This new single shows, again, that the musicians are capable, but the music is uninspired, and playing to tropes of a genre that peaked in the mid 2000's. Unless the band actually takes any risk, they will definitely stay extremely irrelevant at least in terms of artistic value, as they are still, somehow, very popular, even though they have contributed very little to metal for quite some time now.

They didn't turn into In Flames kind of shit, but they've been on autopilot and there is basically nothing that makes me want to revisit any of their records past Rise of the Tyrants, which was already a mixed bag and showing signs of stagnation.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next