Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:42 am 

Spinning off of the discussion about vocals making/breaking bands, what growlers do you like and why?

Mikael Akerfeldt - for me he is the voice of death metal. Listening to hundreds of hours of Opeth is a significant part of what eventually wore me down and turned me from a harsh vocal hater to quite enjoying them when well done. At his peak he had a fluid way of changing ranges and accenting certain phrases that are indelible to me, like "you let her die" in Ayreon's "Trauma" or the transition long scream from acoustic to full-bore in "Demon of the Fall"

Signature performance - Bloodbath - "Blasting the Virginborn"

Christian Alvestam - so much range throughout Scar Symmetry, Solution .45, The Few Against Many, Svavelvinter, Quest of Aidance, Unmoored, Solar Dawn, Universum, etc. Even completely ignoring his cleans, he seamlessly goes between guttural, mid-range, black metal-ish shrieks, and several other distinct types that I don't even have words for.

Signature performance - Miseration - "Thrones"

Tomi Joutsen - how he gets such a deep, resonant, sonorous tone out of his small frame is completely a mystery to me. His delivery is always deeply emotional and moving, with a wide range of timbres and textures. He seems to keep adding tricks to his bag that he wasn't employing early in Amorphis.

Signature performance - Hallatar - "Mirrors"

Tomas Lindberg - not per se a "growler", and not as much range as some of the others, as Tompa sounds similar in most of his projects (At The Gates, Lock Up, The Crown, Disfear, The Great Deceiver, The Lurking Fear, Grotesque, Liers In Wait, Sign of Cain, etc.), but what a vicious and iconic delivery. In the abstract it could seem monotone, but it's so savage and ferocious that I don't care.

Signature performance - Nightrage - "Being Nothing"

Bo Sommer - he's not dubbed "the human subwoofer" for nothing. Massive lows, but also this higher goblin-esque voice that he sometimes alternates and sometimes blends with his deeper growls. Killer work in Panzerchrist and At The Grave as well.

Signature performance - Illdisposed - "Shine Crazy"

Dan Swano - the mold from which versatile harsh vocalists are forged. Ignoring his array of cleaner vocal stylings, his growls are brutal and intense, a truly beastly roar.

Signature performance - Edge of Sanity - "Everlasting"

Honorable mentions: Chuck Billy (Testament), Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy), Antti Haapanen (Noumena), Johan Hegg (Amon Amarth), Anders Jacobsson (Draconian), Par Johansson (Satariel, etc.), Mikko Kotamaki (Swallow The Sun), Kral (Mercenary), Paul Kuhr (Novembers Doom), Patrick Kullberg (Nox Aurea), Nergal (Behemoth), Christofer Saterdal (Demonical), Patrick Savelkoul (Callenish Circle), Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquillity), Speed Strid (Soilwork, etc.), Peter Tagtgren (Hypocrisy, etc.), Jeff Walker (Carcass)

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:36 am 

Basically Akerfeldt and Tagtgren for their phenomenal performances on Brave Murder Day and The 4th Dimension respectively.
Jeff Walker as well, for everything since Symphonies Of Sickness...
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:03 am 

John Tardy….end of debate

The most inhuman death growls ever committed to wax. You can pretty much cite anything he’s done- but Cause Of Death would be the pinnacle…

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:33 am 

Chris Barnes in early Cannibal Corpse albums have some of the most grueling growls I've ever heard, and that's what makes those early CC albums shine. It's kinda sad to see where Chris's vocals are at now though...

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:50 am 

Frank Mullen is a legend and Suffocation will never be the same without him. Also, David Vincent is ok on later Morbid Angel albums, but his vocals on Altars of Madness are amazing IMO. He sounds like a ghost.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:29 am 

Martin Van Drunen is unparalleled, IMO. His voice truly depicts terror.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:48 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Martin Van Drunen is unparalleled, IMO. His voice truly depicts terror.

markhebb wrote:
John Tardy….end of debate

The most inhuman death growls ever committed to wax. You can pretty much cite anything he’s done- but Cause Of Death would be the pinnacle…

Yeah, Martin van Drunen and John Tardy are some of my favourites.

Chuck Schuldiner's voice changed with every Death album, but my favourite incarnation of it is on Scream Bloody Gore. Jeff Becerra's vocals on Seven Churches are also legendary and groundbreaking.

Tau75
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:31 am 

For me always Barney . ND

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:42 am 

Martin van Drunen, John Tardy, LG Petrov, Troy Dixler, Tomas Lindberg, Chuck Schuldiner, etc...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:49 am 

David Vincent on Covenant is beastly - a deep, fearsome performance.

Always liked Daniel Corchado's work in The Chasm - he has this ritualistic cadence that makes it all so badass. Like just another instrument.

LG Petrov's abrasive barks are badass but I really liked Nicke's performance on Clandestine a lot - just this coarse, abrasive instrument of sound.

Oh and Antti Boman from Demilich is amazing. A truly alien sound.

Last edited by Empyreal on Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:25 am 

Lord Worm on the first two Cryptopsy. Savage, unhinged, gruesome.
Fire walk with me"

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:40 am 

Their are so many great death metal vocalists, and in the very beginning the vocal style is was really drew me to death metal. I love karl/Dallas/Jon from Nile, Lord Worm , Chris Barnes, Frank Mullen, Phil Bozeman, Antii Bowman, Cj Mcreery, Dave Simonich, and lots of others.

I'm pretty sure the king is and always will be Matti Way though. His work for the brutal death metal scene is countless, Mullen might have been the first to really hit the gritty gutterals but no one ever did it better than Matti Way on the Cranial Impalement album. Listen to the track Deranged Epidemic and tell me that anyone has ever laid down better death metal vocals than that song. Its unrivaled and will probably never be duplicated.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:58 am 

Sven from Aborted has always stood out to me. He's quite versatile with his mix of highs and lows, and his manic, demented delivery is quite unique.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:28 pm 

Thorn on Dawn of the Apocalypse by Vital Remains

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:57 pm 

Ross Dolan, Dawn Of Possession remains my all time favorite NYDM album based on the vocals, though musically I'd put Effigy Of The Forgotten slightly ahead of it. As far as the old Florida scene goes, I go back and forth between what Schuldiner brought to Leprosy and Tardy's work on Cause Of Death. Always liked Johnny Hedlund's vocals as well, though you can't really go wrong with any of the big names of the early 90s Swedish scene. 1988 through 1993 was basically the golden age of death metal vocalists and it's hard to pick a weak example from even the more ancillary bands from America, Sweden and beyond who only fielded one or two albums before splitting up.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:11 pm 

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:51 pm 

I like the raspy, throat-shredding stuff - Tomas Lindberg, Jeff Walker, Taneli Jarva...

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:12 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
Chuck Schuldiner's voice changed with every Death album, but my favourite incarnation of it is on Scream Bloody Gore.

Death is a case where as the music becomes more and more to my tastes, the vocals become less so, I preferred them on SBG as well. Although, the "Painkiller" cover on TSoP is quite a feat.

Prigione Eterna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:19 pm 

If there is such a thing as a "classic" death metal singer, it's David Vincent. He even sounds demonic without screaming, like on God of Emptiness. Perhaps the best moment though is when he murmurs "I spill blood" in the middle of Rapture; chilling.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:49 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Ross Dolan

In my opinion he/Immolation are one of the quintessential death metal vocalists/bands and a few of their albums are ranked very highly in my book. Last week my friend pointed out that his vocals sound like Dr. Claw from the Inspector Gadget cartoon and it couldn't be any more spot-on, absolutely hilarious.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:41 pm 

Mostly the usual suspects - Frank Mullen, John Gallagher, Ross Dolan, Steve Tucker, Ruben Rosas, Martin van Drunen, and George Fisher are all way up there for me. Other guys who register high include Jordan James, Travis Ryan, Jason Keyser, Guy Kozowyk, Elliot Desgagnes, Will Smith, AJ Magana, Igor Filimontsev, Jonny Davy, Matthew Chalk, and James Lee.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:42 pm 

I agree with nearly everyone that's been mentioned including OP's first pick of Akerfeldt. Ross Dolan and David Vincent on Altars - Covenant are special to me as well. I also really dig Nicklas Rudolfsson on The Supreme Force of Eternity. Doom/Death at its deathliest has some killer vocals. Asphyx hardly ever disappointed in that area and of course there's....

Spoiler: show
Aaron Stainthorpe on this song

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:18 pm 

Mikael Akerfeldt of course, the dude's a legend. But besides that, I like David Davidson from Revocation. His vocals are really dynamic and expressive, and they perfectly fit the style of the band. He also has some interesting cleans here and there, if you're into that.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:28 am 

Revocation is one of those bands that I think is supposed to be reasonably popular in the larger metal world, but we seem to have few fans of here, so they're rarely discussed. I'm one of those fans though, their level of talent is insane.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:38 am 

That David Vincent didn't even crack the OP's honourable mention list is shameful.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:51 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Revocation is one of those bands that I think is supposed to be reasonably popular in the larger metal world, but we seem to have few fans of here, so they're rarely discussed. I'm one of those fans though, their level of talent is insane.

they puzzle me a bit: they are really big, seem to get a lot of love outside this forum and tour a lot, but i've never ever met IRL a fan of their music... same situation happened with Keep of Kalessin during their most popular era (Kolossus, IIRC) :lol:

I'll add Dave Rotten to the list: I've never been a particular fan of his projects but his growl is simply monstrous. It reminds me of Craig Pillard, but even deeper and more unsettling. His best performances are in the Putrevore albums

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:19 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
That David Vincent didn't even crack the OP's honourable mention list is shameful.

There's just too many I'm more enthused about. I like both him and Tucker, but my fandom of Morbid Angel is driven more by Azagthoth and Sandoval. In case it wasn't obvious from my selections, I have a heavy bias for the melodeath guys (well, and Angela). That's why it's "favorites" and not "greatest" or something where I'm attempting to be more objective or historical. Lots of others that are cool, but not quite at the level of top favorites for me, like van Drunen, de Koeijer, Rogga Johansson, the Nile guys, etc. Actually, I forgot Roberth Karlsson, he should be on there. The standards (Corpsegrinder, Barnes, Mullen, Tardy, Dolan, etc.) are ok, but not really favorites either. Heck, I don't even have guys like Petrov and Karki, because I'm much more into the guitars in their bands than the vocals.

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:26 am 

I might spell some of these wrong, busy at the moment sorry:

Dan Swano is amazing, as is Michael Staane, great, deep growls and diverse as all hell with the cleans. David Vincent is amazing, especially on Altars where he is the most consistent. Van Drunen is great on Consvuming but just pretty good on Malleus imo. Lindberg is very good especially on Red in the Sky, sounds completely unstable in a good way.

Those are the ones that spring to mind first.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:24 pm 

I agree with most of the classics already mentioned, especially David Vincent. I’d also say Antti Boman, from Demilich. Less of a personal favorite, but his vocals are really memorable, and good for such insane music.

John Gallagher, from Dying Fetus, is great. Not too much range, and not too insane. But he’s been doing growls for almost as long as Chris Barnes, and his voice is in way better shape. I think his most impressive vocal performance is the beginning of “fornication terrorist.” It’s like early Napalm Deatth, where they slurred the syllables together, but with a very different rhythm.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:39 pm 

Peter Tatgren - Hypocrisy: the dude's range is insane. I'm a huge fan of the high "eagle scream" kind of vocals he dishes out on almost all of their material.
Dave Hunt - Anaal Nathrakh: this band uses a lot of processing on their vocals at times, but the technique and ferocity behind it is undeniable.
Corpsegrinder - well known, but for a reason. His voice has been solid for decades, and even though he might not be the most unique, he's pretty much the template for death metal vocally.
Piotr - Vader: again, nothing too insane vocally, but damn if Vader's vocals aren't reliable and good.
Helge Stang - Equilibrium: on their first few albums, his vocals were beyond admirable. The transition from highs to lows and vocal phrasing on those records are great.
Travis Ryan - Cattle Decapitation: no need for explanation here.
Nergal - Behemoth: the timbre of his vocals on their 2000s-2010s material is amazing.

Almost forgot!

Karl Sanders - Nile: the oppressiveness of his vocals is super intense. Especially on Amongst the Catacombs... I really wish he'd do more of them, they seem to have fallen by the wayside.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:12 pm 

Nocturnal_Evil wrote:
Dave Hunt - Anaal Nathrakh: this band uses a lot of processing on their vocals at times, but the technique and ferocity behind it is undeniable.

I'll agree with you on that one, those vocals are sick. I've never heard a more intense band.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:39 pm 

Tim from Pyogenesis in the early days.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:42 pm 

Anders Jacobsson, vocalist for Draconian.

He is my favourite because he is sharp and intelligible while still being deep and hellish. Very good enunciation.

Pelata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:02 pm 

Martin van Drunen
Pasi Koskinen
Mikael Akerfeldt
LG Petrov
Anders Jacobsson
Jeff Walker

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:06 pm 

I tend to go for understandable harsh than gurgled vocals.

David Vincent
Corpsgrinder
Piotr Wiwczarek
Karl Willetts

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:44 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
I agree with most of the classics already mentioned, especially David Vincent. I’d also say Antti Boman, from Demilich. Less of a personal favorite, but his vocals are really memorable, and good for such insane music.

John Gallagher, from Dying Fetus, is great. Not too much range, and not too insane. But he’s been doing growls for almost as long as Chris Barnes, and his voice is in way better shape. I think his most impressive vocal performance is the beginning of “fornication terrorist.” It’s like early Napalm Deatth, where they slurred the syllables together, but with a very different rhythm.

The thing that Gallagher also has is his ability to ride a groove like a rapper and bring that classic Fetus bounce that so many bands have tried and failed to copy. He's got a smoothness to his delivery that makes him stand out.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:58 pm 

I have to mention Alex Krull, whose work on both Atrocity's Hallucinations and Longing For Death is phenomenal!
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:01 pm 

Agreed on Akerfeldt, Vincent, and Chuck.

Karl Sanders and especially Chris Reifert belong here as well.
The latters “for fucks sake” toward the end of the Macabre Eternal (spill my blood) is legendary.

Prigione Eterna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:24 pm 

Pelata wrote:
Pasi Koskinen

I always thought he stood out among the screamers, but actually little of what he's done is really death metal; even less than Akerfeldt who at least did Bloodbath, which is straight up death metal.

I agree with those that mentioned Demilich, if anything because that kind of singing is so unorthodox, even for death metal.
But I don't understand what's so great about Karl Sanders; amazing guitar player, crazy drumming, but the vocals in Nile often struck me as particularly perfunctory. It's your usual ultra-low, undecipherable gurgle.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:20 pm 

Prigione Eterna wrote:
I always thought he stood out among the screamers, but actually little of what he's done is really death metal; even less than Akerfeldt who at least did Bloodbath, which is straight up death metal.

Akerfeldt did vocals on both Brave Murder Day and Crimson, both are examples of fucking phenomenal death metal vocals, what are you talking about? Bloodbath is only a side kick in comparison.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next